Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 695316 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

concerned in Brasil

Europe

#532281 Apr 26, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Every one of those fathers identified themselves as Catholics and members of the Catholic Church. Which ones were evangelical fundamentalists?
Once again I repeat myself.

I am a catholic just as the early church fathers identified themselves as such and my theology and my doctrine is represented by them not the Modern Day sects' doctrine called the RCC. The RCC has deviated so far from the early fathers teachings and their original substance found in the Word of God your sect is now going in the opposite direction.

Your sect does not get to define what catholic is today the Bible does and to an extent the early church fathers. The RCC definition is not Gods the Bibles or the Early Church fathers definition

The Roman Catholic church makes up their doctrine to maintain there control and then reads into the Bible and early church fathers writings what they already believe.

You have never in your life read the early church fathers and let their words meanings penetrate you.

You most likely were taught what to believe and never ever actually tested to see if what you were taught is actually so.

No you swallowed the kool aid with out blinking and now all you do is regurgitate your brain washed ideas.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#532282 Apr 26, 2014
concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>

To show them if you go down the Roman Catholic way drink their kool aid you have to throw your brain in the garbage as it will just get in the way
Regardless of the discrepancy, Dave Hunt is clearly incompetent as a researcher when he insists on defending such numbers as 300,000 or (even worse) "millions" put to death by the "Inquisition." It is estimated by modern scholars of the Spanish Inquisition, for example, that in its entire 356 year history (1478-1834), the grand total executed range from 3000-6000 persons which, though not entirely defensible either, is far lower than sensationalist writers like Dave Hunt would have us believe. Perhaps 50 percent of those who perished did so in the first 20 years of the institution, an estimated 2000 (or less) under the Grand Inquisitor, Torquemada -- though he was not the "cruel monster" as popular "Inquisition myths" portray him.

"....the Spanish Inquisition, in spite of wildly inflated estimates of the numbers of its victims, acted with considerable restraint in inflicting the death penalty, far more restraint than was demonstrated in secular tribunals elsewhere in Europe that dealt with the same kinds of offenses. The best estimate is that around 3000 death sentences were carried out in Spain by Inquisitorial verdict between 1550 and 1800, a far smaller number than that in comparable secular courts." (Peters, page 87, emphasis added)

Hunt continues, "Such was the fate of MILLIONS" (emphasis his). And such nonsense from Dave Hunt's fertile imagination he would like his readers to swallow, but such is not the case. Torture was infrequently used, and there is no reference to it in the documents concerning the origins of the Inquisition, the Italian inquisitors being the first probably to make use of it (after the 1252 Bull -Ad Exstirpanda- of Innocent IV), though it was alien to the canonical tradition of the Church, and was a revival of secular Roman law. The idea of "millions" tortured and killed is pure fantasy. Edward Peters gives us a more accurate picture:

"If sufficient evidence accumulated against an accused who did not confess, the Inquisition had torture at its disposal, as had all ecclesiastical and secular courts -- except in England -- since the 13th century. Although torture as an incident of legal procedure was permitted only when sufficient circumstantial evidence existed to indicate that a confession could be obtained, inquisitorial torture appears to have been extremely conservative and infrequently used.

"There is enough inquisitorial literature on torture contained in -Instrucciones- intended only for the eyes of inquisitors, for us to conclude that the Inquisition's use of torture was well under that of all contemporary secular courts in continental Europe, and even under that of other ecclesiastical tribunals....

"In a trial before the Spanish Inquisition, the very fact that the accused had been charged and arrested at all indicated that sufficient evidence for guilt had already been accumulated on the basis of denunciations by others, the testimony of other tried heretics, evidence from neighbors or local clergy, or self-incriminating evidence from one's own household. But the aim of the Inquisition remained penitential rather than purely judicial."

(Edward Peters, page 92-93, emphasis added)
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#532283 Apr 26, 2014
<quoted text>
Once again I repeat myself.
I am a catholic just as the early church fathers identified themselves as such and my theology and my doctrine is represented by them not the Modern Day sects' doctrine called the RCC. The RCC has deviated so far from the early fathers teachings and their original substance found in the Word of God your sect is now going in the opposite direction.
Your sect does not get to define what catholic is today the Bible does and to an extent the early church fathers. The RCC definition is not Gods the Bibles or the Early Church fathers definition
The Roman Catholic church makes up their doctrine to maintain there control and then reads into the Bible and early church fathers writings what they already believe.
You have never in your life read the early church fathers and let their words meanings penetrate you.
You most likely were taught what to believe and never ever actually tested to see if what you were taught is actually so.
No you swallowed the kool aid with out blinking and now all you do is regurgitate your brain washed ideas.
Name one.

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#532284 Apr 26, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ezekiel 18:20
20 The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.
*hold the child liable for the sins of the father?- hey, you think you don't know the context of this verse??? Nah...you know your Bible. It's just a contradiction right?
LOL. Thank you so much for posting that scripture for the poor soul.

“Happy 2016!!”

Since: Apr 08

Saint Teresa Pray 4 Us.

#532286 Apr 26, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were raised in Islam, you would be "preaching" at me what the Muslim theologians taught you was truth.
You were and ARE blind-sighted by how you were programmed in your Catholic cult.
Do you believe that the savior Krishna is going to come to earth to save the Hindus???
You won't answer THAT question ... will you ... oh self-perceived HOLY Catholic?
Dear June Bug, if I was raised in Islam , I would have converted to the True church Catholic!

You are the one blind-sighted by you hate, you are programmed to hate. Very sad.

Krishna is not a true god, there is only one true God, June only one, can you hear me?

You've made a correct statement finally. LOL

I am holy Catholic, always was and always will be!

God bless!
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#532287 Apr 26, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless of the discrepancy, Dave Hunt is clearly incompetent as a researcher when he insists on defending such numbers as 300,000 or (even worse) "millions" put to death by the "Inquisition." It is estimated by modern scholars of the Spanish Inquisition, for example, that in its entire 356 year history (1478-1834), the grand total executed range from 3000-6000 persons which, though not entirely defensible either, is far lower than sensationalist writers like Dave Hunt would have us believe. Perhaps 50 percent of those who perished did so in the first 20 years of the institution, an estimated 2000 (or less) under the Grand Inquisitor, Torquemada -- though he was not the "cruel monster" as popular "Inquisition myths" portray him.
"....the Spanish Inquisition, in spite of wildly inflated estimates of the numbers of its victims, acted with considerable restraint in inflicting the death penalty, far more restraint than was demonstrated in secular tribunals elsewhere in Europe that dealt with the same kinds of offenses. The best estimate is that around 3000 death sentences were carried out in Spain by Inquisitorial verdict between 1550 and 1800, a far smaller number than that in comparable secular courts." (Peters, page 87, emphasis added)
Hunt continues, "Such was the fate of MILLIONS" (emphasis his). And such nonsense from Dave Hunt's fertile imagination he would like his readers to swallow, but such is not the case. Torture was infrequently used, and there is no reference to it in the documents concerning the origins of the Inquisition, the Italian inquisitors being the first probably to make use of it (after the 1252 Bull -Ad Exstirpanda- of Innocent IV), though it was alien to the canonical tradition of the Church, and was a revival of secular Roman law. The idea of "millions" tortured and killed is pure fantasy. Edward Peters gives us a more accurate picture:
"If sufficient evidence accumulated against an accused who did not confess, the Inquisition had torture at its disposal, as had all ecclesiastical and secular courts -- except in England -- since the 13th century. Although torture as an incident of legal procedure was permitted only when sufficient circumstantial evidence existed to indicate that a confession could be obtained, inquisitorial torture appears to have been extremely conservative and infrequently used.
"There is enough inquisitorial literature on torture contained in -Instrucciones- intended only for the eyes of inquisitors, for us to conclude that the Inquisition's use of torture was well under that of all contemporary secular courts in continental Europe, and even under that of other ecclesiastical tribunals....
"In a trial before the Spanish Inquisition, the very fact that the accused had been charged and arrested at all indicated that sufficient evidence for guilt had already been accumulated on the basis of denunciations by others, the testimony of other tried heretics, evidence from neighbors or local clergy, or self-incriminating evidence from one's own household. But the aim of the Inquisition remained penitential rather than purely judicial."
(Edward Peters, page 92-93, emphasis added)
LOL...I know! It truly is incredible how dense that insufferable moron is, but people with reality are morons in his world. lol Anthony he was already proven to be a fool many times, but he lives in his delusional world and repeats his fantasies. He was run off this board for his absurdities and perpetual lies. Only a complete imbecile would take this loon seriously. Guest can add to the list. They are utterly clueless on the inquistions and the crusades and the whole picture, which none of them has an interest in. Debate? LOL It was all presented and ignored. Kamen is on his side. ROTFL! It is interesting to note that Kamen did state that the hostility of distortions of the truth is so deeply engrained in Protestants that they will refuse to accept reality.

“Happy 2016!!”

Saint Teresa Pray 4 Us.

#532288 Apr 26, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Wacky theology
Do you believe that the god that still loves only the Jews "appreciates" the lies told by the popes???
Dear wacky June bug, the only lies told here are from you.
Jesus still loves you, and Jesus loves His Popes that HE left here on earth to carry on HIs Church.

Now run along and go feed your 30 cats so they can love u.

:D

“Happy 2016!!”

Saint Teresa Pray 4 Us.

#532289 Apr 26, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you suggesting that the other popes didn't know the language of the "people???"
No June bug, not saying that. Long b-4 u were born, a very very long time ago the mass was said in Latin, the language of the scholars. Vatican II changed it to the language of that particular country. Since we are Universal=Catholic.

You've come to the right place always ask a Catholic.
:)
God bless!

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#532290 Apr 26, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Which Church father was an evangelical fundamentalist?
All of them as they went around preaching after Jesus,ascended ..all those,apostles,and disciples...before there,were,any denominations,....they were in the homes, then in the,Churches,plural, no Pope,, founded on belief of Jesus...filled with believers,, the true Church..

They Evangelzed as Jesus,commanded on the FUNDAMENTAL belief in Christ Jesus as the,Way , the Truth and the Light ...

“Happy 2016!!”

Saint Teresa Pray 4 Us.

#532291 Apr 26, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll be glued to the tv. Thanks Star.
My mother in law brought back a rosary from Rome for me which had been blessed by Pope John Paul II. Pretty special.
Nice!

Dear husband and me heard mass given by JP-2, so blessed!(1992)
So excited for his canonization.
God bless our Popes!

Protestants up in arms when there is Pope news.
So surprised that CNN will cover the canonization.

Envy is a deadly sin.

<><

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#532292 Apr 26, 2014
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, I don't have a definition of an 'evangelical fundamentalist' cause it's not in Bible, can't go there or want to.
Spreading the,WORD of the,FUNDAMENTAL belief of FAITH in Jesus,Christ ..

Nowadays,it's a,pejorative,I realize ..however ...we,were told to EVANGELIZE...we were told the,FUNDAMENTAL of Faith....Yes,it's,in the bible ..no mater what label we,use,Faith in Christ as,Saviour is,at the core,of Christianity and it was,preached every where they went, until MAN started in with hierarchy..which Our Lord preached,against..He who is,first shall be last ..as,he told to the mother of the two brothers who asked that her Sons,be given the high place near him ..

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#532293 Apr 26, 2014
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>ypou just proved that you are understanding. It is a "promise"
I saw your post to them, I detest you. I don't care about your false feeling towards me or them. you are a double minded person and very unstable in ALL of your ways.
you can me a false teacher, you have said that both GIF and myself were taught by satan.I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for you making it into Heaven.
many on here think they know what Blasphemy of the Holy Ghost is, and you have committed it. when you credit satan for the works of God, you have blasphemed the Holy Ghost. He and I have been called and Anointed by the Holy Ghost to preach His Word,
and you have given the credit to satan, and you will answer for that some day, foolish woman
Please,Preston , CIB, GIF, KAY ...
Not being specific to anyone here,.
In general

What IS,the,EXACT definition of Blasphemy of the,Holy Spirit .
Is,it the unforgivable sin..

“Happy 2016!!”

Saint Teresa Pray 4 Us.

#532294 Apr 26, 2014
Gods R Delusions x Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like you have inner doubts.
May the FSM be with you.
Ramen
No doubts at all.

May the FSM, be with u,(lol) don't eat any b/c it's filthy.

:D

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#532295 Apr 26, 2014
<quoted text>
all of them,
evangelical means gospel speakers preachers they all did that.
They were all fundamentalist by the fact they all believed no one will go to the Father but by Jesus the Christ.
Amen..I agree,as,I just posted , a bit late .

Please,your answer,..

What IS,blasphemous the,Holy Spirit ?

Is,it the unforgivable sin??

Does,one do it by ignoring the,prompting,...and Sinn I Nguyen..or is,it a purposeful denial of His,Being God.

This,is a hard concept ..Thanks,

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#532296 Apr 26, 2014
The following is written for those that has"""" "EYES TO SEE AMD EARS TO HEAR"""" "".

I know it's a very long article t read but Americans need to take some time out ans read the following link question # 10 about Americas fate.

http://www.biblestudysite.com/answers82.htm#1...

“Happy 2016!!”

Saint Teresa Pray 4 Us.

#532297 Apr 26, 2014
"Catholics believe that theirs is the one true Church of Jesus Christ, firstly, because theirs is the only Christian Church that goes back in history to the time of Christ; secondly, because theirs is the only Christian Church which possesses the invincible unity, the intrinsic holiness, the continual universality and the indisputable apostolicity which Christ said would distinguish His true Church; and thirdly, because the Apostles and primitive Church Fathers, who certainly were members of Christ's true Church, all professed membership in the same Catholic Church (See Apostles' Creed and the Primitive Christian letters). Wrote Ignatius of Antioch, illustrious Church Father of the first century: "Where the bishop is, there let the multitude of believers be, even as where Jesus is, there is

the Catholic Church." Our Lord said: "There shall be one fold and one shepherd, yet it is well know that the various Christian denominations cannot agree on what Christ actually taught. Since Christ roundly condemned inter-denominationalism, that house cannot stand." (Mark 3:25), Catholics cannot believe that He would even sanction it in His Church.

Catholics refuse to concede such a thing out of faith in Jesus Christ. Christ solemnly pledged that the gates of Hell would never prevail against His Church (Matt. 16:18), and He solemnly promised that after His ascension into Heaven He would send His Church "another Paraclete...the spirit of truth," to dwell with it forever (John 14:16-17), and

He inspired the Apostle Paul to describe His Church as "the pillar and ground of the truth." (1 Tim. 3:15). If the Catholic Church (which Protestants admit was the true Church of Jesus Christ before Luther's
revolt) became doctrinally corrupt as alleged, it would mean that the gates of Hell had prevailed against it, it would mean that Christ had deceived His followers. Believing Christ to be the very essence of truth and integrity, Catholics cannot see how the division of Christianity into hundreds of rival camps and doctrinal variations can be called a "reformation" of the Christian Church. "
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#532298 Apr 26, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
All of them as they went around preaching after Jesus,ascended ..all those,apostles,and disciples...before there,were,any denominations,....they were in the homes, then in the,Churches,plural, no Pope,, founded on belief of Jesus...filled with believers,, the true Church..
They Evangelzed as Jesus,commanded on the FUNDAMENTAL belief in Christ Jesus as the,Way , the Truth and the Light ...
Lol. You have no idea what they were or what they preached. It would be nice if you were interested learning.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#532299 Apr 26, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen..I agree,as,I just posted , a bit late .
Please,your answer,..
What IS,blasphemous the,Holy Spirit ?
Is,it the unforgivable sin??
Does,one do it by ignoring the,prompting,...and Sinn I Nguyen..or is,it a purposeful denial of His,Being God.
This,is a hard concept ..Thanks,
You may as well agree that the moon is made of green cheese as far as you know.

“Happy 2016!!”

Saint Teresa Pray 4 Us.

#532300 Apr 26, 2014
Have a blessed Sunday and a fabulous evening!
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#532301 Apr 26, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Strange how heretics like yourself identify yourself hypocritically with other heretics while claiming they are not really Christians. A heresy which arose in the fourth century, and denied the Divinity of Jesus Christ. Yes Rose there are no false teachers. Rip that part out of the bible since every heresy used scripture for their claim. There are no unlearned and unstable who wrest the scripture unto their destruction everybody has the real deal. You win a shirt that Jesus loves everyone but Catholics, but he loves me more.

Doctrine
First among the doctrinal disputes which troubled Christians after Constantine had recognized the Church in A.D. 313, and the parent of many more during some three centuries, Arianism occupies a large place in ecclesiastical history. It is not a modern form of unbelief, and therefore will appear strange in modern eyes. But we shall better grasp its meaning if we term it an Eastern attempt to rationalize the creed by stripping it of mystery so far as the relation of Christ to God was concerned. In the New Testament and in Church teaching Jesus of Nazareth appears as the Son of God. This name He took to Himself (Matthew 11:27; John 10:36), while the Fourth Gospel declares Him to be the Word (Logos), Who in the beginning was with God and was God, by Whom all things were made. A similar doctrine is laid down by St. Paul, in his undoubtedly genuine Epistles to the Ephesians, Colossians, and Philippians. It is reiterated in the Letters of Ignatius, and accounts for Pliny's observation that Christians in their assemblies chanted a hymn to Christ as God. But the question how the Son was related to the Father (Himself acknowledged on all hands to be the one Supreme Deity), gave rise, between the years A.D. 60 and 200, to a number of Theosophic systems, called generally Gnosticism, and having for their authors Basilides, Valentinus, Tatian, and other Greek speculators. Though all of these visited Rome, they had no following in the West, which remained free from controversies of an abstract nature, and was faithful to the creed of its baptism. Intellectual centres were chiefly Alexandria and Antioch, Egyptian or Syrian, and speculation was carried on in Greek. The Roman Church held steadfastly by tradition. Under these circumstances, when Gnostic schools had passed away with their "conjugations" of Divine powers, and "emanations" from the Supreme unknowable God (the "Deep" and the "Silence") all speculation was thrown into the form of an inquiry touching the "likeness" of the Son to His Father and "sameness" of His Essence. Catholics had always maintained that Christ was truly the Son, and truly God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Feb 15 Eyes on Christ 10,730
News Pope 'loves China', Vatican official says on tr... (Aug '17) Feb 11 C Kersey 3
News Vatican mulls putting end to limbo (Apr '07) Feb 6 Leary 43
News Vatican nixes former Irish president from Women... Feb 2 Mullah Pres Elect... 1
News Pope accepts resignation of auxiliary bishop of... Feb 2 Pope MS USA News 6
News Faith Matters: Top local faith stories for 2017 Jan 21 question 2
News Love in the air: Pope marries couple on papal p... Jan 19 Pardon Pard 1
More from around the web