Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 675561 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#523954 Mar 24, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Roman catholic church makes no common sense.
...Church preaches right from wrong right from 10 commandments yet the roman catholic church is involved in their 2nd Vatican bank money laundering scandal in 30 years. Who does that? Not people who claim to be the moral authority.
Makes no common sense.
...Church preaches that marriage and family are the greatest virtues, yet the church leaders who preach this to others forbid themselves to enjoy these virtues themselves.
...,makes no common sense.
...Church and the worldwide sex abuse scandals that has history shown by the churches own canon laws are traced back 1700 years to their very beginning.
..,makes no common sense.
...catholics defend every action or lack of action or their church and its leaders.
...,makes no common sense.
The devout Catholics just want salvation. They don't much care about the lies and the dirty laundry. Neither do the Protestants care about lies or dirty laundry. They are set on bending all the rules as do all heaven HOGS.

Quesnel, Canada

#523955 Mar 24, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
...The catholic church proudly keeps records of those married in the church, but the church leaders have no clue how many of those marriages end in divorce. Their numbers are skewed.
Catholics didn't need that silly annulment plan once they decided that "God" would not punish them for divorce.

Marriage papers are jokes to many people these days.

I still say it's better to divorce your partner than to commit murder.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#523956 Mar 24, 2014
Peace

On the existence of God...

Are atheists and agnostics sure that they are unsure?

Or....

Are they absolutely sure or unsure?

Quesnel, Canada

#523957 Mar 24, 2014
Robert F wrote:
Peace
On the existence of God...
Are atheists and agnostics sure that they are unsure?
Or....
Are they absolutely sure or unsure?
You were unsure ... and that is why Atheism didn't work to your "advantage."

You prefer to believe that you are special and that other humans in other religions will be rejected to hell.

I am certain that I am of no more value than any other humans or any other forms of life to a creator, and that is in part why I am totally comfortable with being an Atheist.

Quesnel, Canada

#523958 Mar 24, 2014
In jest I asked my husband if he thought that divorce or murder was a better option.

He suggested that he would prefer divorce.

:)
Tango Bravo

Wichita, KS

#523959 Mar 24, 2014
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't believe the words of Matthew Mark Luke John Paul Peter(James Jude brothers of Jesus) and maybe Apollos for Hebrews, did I forget someone, until shortly before 400AD?
In other words you don't know the answer?
Tango Bravo

Wichita, KS

#523960 Mar 24, 2014
OldJG wrote:
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Tango the Bible clearly say there is only One that intercedes between us and God, Jesus.
<quoted text>
Does Mary intercede in the prayers of Christians? No, she does not. This intercession also belongs to Jesus. When teaching His disciples to pray to the Father (Matthew 6:9), Jesus did not teach them to pray to (or through) Mary. And yet, Catholicism created a prayer—the “Hail Mary”—to include the words “Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now, and at the hour of death.” In John 14:13-14, Jesus declared:“And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it”(cf. John 16:24). Jesus is the only One Who can mediate or intercede in our prayers, since “[a]ll things that the Father has are [His]”(John 16:15). If all things that the Father has are the Son’s, then what is left for Mary?
The prerogative of intercession supposedly given to Mary also is argued from the fact that she “interceded” before Jesus on behalf of a family at a wedding in Cana because the wine was running out during the celebration (John 2:2-3). This simple, solitary, tiny thread of argumentation, lost in a loom of confusion, has been misused extensively by the supporters of Marianism. By going to Jesus with a request for help, Mary was not intervening on behalf of anyone’s spiritual needs; she only reported the situation to Jesus. Moreover, consider Jesus’ response:“Woman, what does your concern have to do with Me?”(John 2:4). With these words, He emphasized that Mary’s concerns did not dictate His actions. Whatever He did in Cana that day would be according to God’s will, not because of human or motherly influences or desires.
You don't account for Mary's occasional appearances to the faithful during which she asked for our prayers to her and promised to intercede on our behalf. I figure that if God allows Mary to appear on earth and ask us to pray the rosary there must be something in it.

By the way, you didn't provide any attributes for your cut and paste job. Where did you get it?
Tango Bravo

Wichita, KS

#523961 Mar 24, 2014
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
When forced to admit that they do, in fact, worship Mary, Roman Catholics will claim that they worship God through her, by praising the wonderful creation that God has made. Mary, in their minds, is the most beautiful and wonderful creation of God, and by praising her, they are praising her Creator. For Roman Catholics, this is analogous to directing praise to an artist by praising his sculpture or painting. The problem with this is that God explicitly commands against worshiping Him through created things. We are not to bow down and worship anything in the form of heaven above or earth below (Exodus 20:4-5).
Romans 1:25 could not be more clear, "They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator — who is forever praised. Amen."
Yes, God has created wonderful and amazing things. Yes, Mary was a godly woman who is worthy of our respect. No, we absolutely are not to worship God "vicariously" by praising things (or people) He has created. Doing so is blatant idolatry.
The major way Roman Catholics "venerate" Mary and the saints is by praying to them. As the following article demonstrates, prayer to anyone other than God alone is anti-Biblical – praying to saints and Mary.
Whether Mary and/or the saints are prayed to, or whether they are petitioned for their prayers – neither practice is Biblical. Prayer is an act of worship. When we pray to God, we are admitting that we need His help. Directing our prayers to anyone other than God is robbing God of the glory that is His alone.
I don't think you understand the difference between worship and prayer.
Tango Bravo

Wichita, KS

#523962 Mar 24, 2014
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible says they wrote the Bible by God's inspiration, but otherwise in their lives they were liars and sinners like everyone else though they were changed (born-again) to sin less than the unbeliever.
Moses is a born-again Christian?
Tango Bravo

Wichita, KS

#523963 Mar 24, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
HER??? JESUS,was a,male ...or is,this,something new,???
OOps! Typo. Don't tell the Pope.
Tango Bravo

Wichita, KS

#523964 Mar 24, 2014
OldJG wrote:
"You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God”(Ex 20:4-5)
At times I am pretty quick to throw out accusations towards Roman Catholics that they worship the Virgin Mary. They normally respond by saying,“We do not worship her, we are venerating her as scripture say to do.”
I have seen Roman Catholics, along with the pope bowing before statues of Jesus, Mary, or other saints. As much as Roman Catholics claim that this is not worship, it is. making or bowing down to a statue or anything else made by man is idolatry.
Roman Catholics do not understand what they are saying when they claim to be venerating Mary. Here is a definition of veneration:
From Dictionary.com :
venerate: comes from a Latin word meaning to solicit the goodwill of (a god), worship, revere. Defined as to hold in deep respect; revere; to honor in recognition of qualities of holiness, excellence, wisdom, etc.
From Webster’s:
venerate: to regard with reverential respect or with admiring deference; to honor (as an icon or a relic) with a ritual act of devotion
Synonyms: adore, deify, glorify, revere, reverence, worship
Worship is included in the origins, definition, and synonyms of venerate.
So whenever a Roman Catholic says that they are venerating Mary, a good response is,“yep, you are… Do you have any idea what that means?”
Yet when I go to Websters and Dictionary.com to look up the definition of "venerate" I find different definitions.

As I've pointed out before there is a difference between bowing to God in while kneeling in front of a statue and bowing to a statue. I'll ask again. Do you ever kneel while praying? What false god are you kneeling in front of when you knell in prayer? Is it a blank wall in your house? A table? I'd really like to know what's in front of you while you kneel in prayer.
Tango Bravo

Wichita, KS

#523965 Mar 24, 2014
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible says the Saints that died will brought to life when Jesus comes again and it says only Jesus has been to heaven. Come on Tango you are believing mere men above the Word of God, Please ask God alone through Jesus who you believed has died for you sins to lead you to all His Truth.
Trust Him alone and you will find yourself falling in worship at a thought!
Please tell us all where in the Bible it says "only Jesus has been to heaven".
Tango Bravo

Wichita, KS

#523966 Mar 24, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a liar.....your words prove it...
If you have Scripture that teaches the opposite of:
Exodus 20:4, "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:"
Deuteronomy 29:17, "And ye have seen their abominations, and their idols, wood and stone, silver and gold, which were among them:)" show them...
If you read Scripture for understanding instead of taking it out of context in order to bend the Word of God to your own beliefs you will find that these passages, taken in context, command us to not make and worship false gods. Even in Jesus' time the Temple in Jerusalem had images carved into its walls and pictures and statues inside. Read all of Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 29 and you will see what I mean.
LTM

Longlac, Canada

#523967 Mar 24, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
June a Catholic? lol. First popes were homosexuals and pedophiles? More trash talk from you as usual LTM, with not one ounce of evidence.
It'd be nice if for once in your Topix life you'd back it up with SOMETHING. I read everything you and others link (when they actually do), if you had ever linked a source to your outrageous claim you can bet I'd remember it.
June claimed to being catholic, where else would she learn nothing about Almighty God., then claim to know everything. about Him .
Tango Bravo

Wichita, KS

#523968 Mar 24, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only can I tell from a picture, but the words confirm it!!!
Worth repeating!!!!!
Pope John Paul bowing before a statue of Mary in worship.
Note the word "worship".....
How can you tell from a picture who the Pope worships?
Is it that he kneels in front of a statue of Mary that proves, in your mind, that he's worshiping a statue?
Have you ever knelt down in your life? What were you worshiping when you knelt? A wall? A TV? A pastor?
Since Catholics don't worship statues or pictures I would have to guess that the Pope was praying to Mary while he knelt in front of a statue to help him and the people around him to focus on Mary while they prayed to her. Of course, that's just a guess. I can't tell by looking at a picture, even if you did provide the picture you claim to be talking about.
You provided no words with your post. You provided no picture. You provided no value.
Tango Bravo

Wichita, KS

#523969 Mar 24, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a liar and your words prove it.....you cannot provide the Scripture....
If you have Scripture that teaches the opposite of:
Exodus 20:4, "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:"
Deuteronomy 29:17, "And ye have seen their abominations, and their idols, wood and stone, silver and gold, which were among them:)" show them..
If you read Scripture for understanding instead of taking it out of context in order to bend the Word of God to your own beliefs you will find that these passages, taken in context, command us to not make and worship false gods. Even in Jesus' time the Temple in Jerusalem had images carved into its walls and pictures and statues inside. Read all of Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 29 and you will see what I mean.
Tango Bravo

Wichita, KS

#523970 Mar 24, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Duck sucker...the truth is facing you....
Do Roman Catholics and their ecclesiastics worship Mary? Their solid stance is,“No, we do not worship Mary!” However, the evidence is overwhelmingly against them. But before the evidence is presented, I’d like to cut at the root of this dispute.
The “early bird that got the worm” is the truth that not once does the apostle Peter, who is alleged to be the first pope, mention Mary in any of his biblical letters. Nor is there any record in any of the other letters, such as Acts of the Apostles, that Peter ever referred to Mary. Not only did he not mention her, directly or indirectly, but zero nothing is said by any apostle about the need to venerate or worship her. This fact speaks volumes against the Catholic’s view of Mary.
Why? Why did Peter fail to mention the “Virgin Mary”? Surely if all popes worshipped Mary and leaned on her for salvation, and they have, as the evidence will show, and if Peter was the first pope, why does he not praise and adore Mary in the same vein as other popes?
The question demands an answer.
Why indeed???? Hojo...itb.....
ITB,
Can you find a Papal decree or document telling us to "worship Mary"? No.
Jumper The Wise

Morgantown, KY

#523971 Mar 24, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
You sound quite disappointed that I have returned dear boy.I told you that my business would take no more than a day or so.
As I was briefly called out of retirement for a short reunion with my old comrades from my cold war days.I cannot discusss the matter publicly other than a certain Nazi 'vonder weapon ' needed to be accounted for. But I can add that my old adversairy Ivan is still very vigorus in bed.
Despite his hair loss and false teeth he is still my Russin bear and I his 'little Canadian dove'.
Ewwwww!
Tango Bravo

Wichita, KS

#523972 Mar 24, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah love it!!!! The truth!!!! Da pope he do be worship Mary....it say so....
The Late Pope John Paul II Worshipped Mary
& Relied On Her For Salvation
If the pope is the role model and instructor and guide for Catholics, and he is, and if they are striving to follow in his footsteps, and they are, they give the same level of reverence to Mary as their “Supreme Pontiff.” It is a documented fact that the late Pope John Paul II relied more on Mary for salvation than on Jesus.
Pope John Paul made more than 40 pilgrimages to her shrines at Lourdes and Fatima. He wrote in his Apostolic Letter of Oct. 16, 2002, the following words:
“I entrust this Apostolic Letter to the loving hands of the Virgin Mary, prostrating myself in spirit before her image in the splendid Shrine built for her by Blessed Bartolo Longo, the apostle of the Rosary.”
He continued:
“O Blessed Rosary of Mary, sweet chain which unites us to God... tower of salvation against the assaults of Hell, safe port in our universal shipwreck, we will never abandon you. You will be our comfort in the hour of death; yours our final kiss as life ebbs away. And the last word from our lips will be your sweet name, O Queen of the Rosary of Pompei, O dearest Mother, O Refuge of Sinners, O Sovereign Consoler of the Afflicted….”
Worship of the highest degree!!!!!!
I don't think you understand the difference between worship and prayer.
LTM

Longlac, Canada

#523973 Mar 24, 2014
Tango Bravo wrote:
<quoted text>
Please tell us all where in the Bible it says "only Jesus has been to heaven".
John3:

10 Jesus answered and said to him,“Are you the teacher of Israel, and do not know these things? 11 Most assuredly, I say to you, We speak what We know and testify what We have seen, and you do not receive Our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven.[a] 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but[b] have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Tue Mr Sir 10,518
News Pope Francis meets 4 Imams to open a Christian-... Apr 21 Joe 30
News Pope opens free laundromat for the poor Pope Fr... Apr 12 True Christian wi... 1
News Role of women in the modern Catholic Church 'un... Apr 9 South Knox Hombre 1
News What Pope Francis and Obama may talk about (Sep '15) Apr 7 Teana Trump 53
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... (Apr '15) Mar 31 whirlingmerc 9
News Pope Francis will do 'everything he can' to vis... Mar 31 Gods r Delusions ... 1
More from around the web