Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 646792 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Williams Lake, Canada

#520211 Mar 10, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
"Suggesting" is pretending.
I suggest that because your avatar states "New Age Spiritual Leader" ... you are not pretending, and that you honestly believe you ARE a new-age spiritual leader.

:)

Williams Lake, Canada

#520212 Mar 10, 2014
The Progress of the Intellect: As Exemplified in the Religious Development of the Greeks and Hebrew, Volumes 1-2, by Robert William Mackay.

The simpler, and probably older notion, treated the one only God as author of all things.“I form the light,” says Jehovah,“and create darkness; I cause prosperity and create evil; I, the Lord, do all these things.”

Williams Lake, Canada

#520213 Mar 10, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
So, since God favors no one, you are correct.
If (according to you) God favors no one ... is that why you left Protestantism to become a Catholic???

You are SUCH a phony.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#520214 Mar 10, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't believe the Priest changes the bread into the body either. Jesus does.
You, like Marge, knowingly embrace lies in order to have your religion. You know your theology is impossible, Preston. You know it doesn't make sense. For that, you're a phony.
You do not even know what you believe....Jesus DOES NOT change the bread into Himself as you suggested. Your belief is listed below

Transubstantiation is a doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church. The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines this doctrine in section 1376:

"The Council of Trent summarizes the Catholic faith by declaring:‘Because Christ our Redeemer said that it was truly his body that he was offering under the species of bread, it has always been the conviction of the Church of God, and this holy Council now declares again, that by the consecration of the bread and wine there takes place a change of the whole substance of the bread into the substance of the body of Christ our Lord and of the whole substance of the wine into the substance of his blood. This change the holy Catholic Church has fittingly and properly called transubstantiation.’"

In other words, the Roman Catholic Church teaches that once an ordained priest blesses the bread of the Lord's Supper, it is transformed into the actual flesh of Christ (though it retains the appearance, odor, and taste of bread); and when he blesses the wine, it is transformed into the actual blood of Christ (though it retains the appearance, odor, and taste of wine). Is such a concept biblical? There are some Scriptures that, if interpreted strictly literally, would lead to the “real presence” of Christ in the bread and wine. Examples are John 6:32-58; Matthew 26:26; Luke 22:17-23; and 1 Corinthians 11:24-25. The passage pointed to most frequently is John 6:32-58 and especially verses 53-57,“Jesus said to them,‘I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life … For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him … so the one who feeds on me will live because of me.’”

PROTESTANTS BELIEVE.......

The Scriptures declare that the Lord's Supper is a memorial to the body and blood of Christ (Luke 22:19; 1 Corinthians 11:24-25), not the actual consumption of His physical body and blood. When Jesus was speaking in John chapter 6, Jesus had not yet had the Last Supper with His disciples, in which He instituted the Lord’s Supper. To read the Lord’s Supper / Christian Communion back into John chapter 6 is unwarranted. For a more complete discussion of these issues, please read our article on the Holy Eucharist.

The most serious reason transubstantiation should be rejected is that it is viewed by the Roman Catholic Church as a "re-sacrifice" of Jesus Christ for our sins, or as a “re-offering / re-presentation” of His sacrifice. This is directly in contradiction to what Scripture says, that Jesus died "once for all" and does not need to be sacrificed again (Hebrews 10:10; 1 Peter 3:18). Hebrews 7:27 declares, "Unlike the other high priests, He (Jesus) does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins ONCE for all when He offered Himself."

Williams Lake, Canada

#520215 Mar 10, 2014
The supposed creator has a most peculiar way of showing his love.

tongue in cheek
>>>>>>> >>>>>>>

The Progress of the Intellect: As Exemplified in the Religious Development of the Greeks and Hebrew, Volumes 1-2, by Robert William Mackay.

In estimating the enigmatical character of a Nature god, curses are more impressive than blessings; men fear before they learn to love, and fear is the parent of cruelty and superstition. The early Hebrew God is "a consuming fire;" his apparition is disastrous, no one can see him and live; even his ark scatters destruction on friend and foe; he sends his angel, lest himself should break out upon the people and consume them.

Williams Lake, Canada

#520216 Mar 10, 2014
Have you noticed that after asking the supposed creator to strike me dead to prove that he lives ... I'm still posting???

I'm taunting your supposed all-powerful creator and I am still alive. It must a MIRACLE!

Bunkology
Jumper The Wise

Morgantown, KY

#520217 Mar 10, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no point in trying to converse with you, because you just don't GET IT.
If YOU offered IT,he dodged a bullet!

Ahweeeee! Cold snapper!
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#520218 Mar 10, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense.
The actual transcript shows Darrow shredding Bryan. No wonder he kicked off shortly thereafter.
But you are right in one regard -- it was a show trial to make money for the town and to set precedent for an ACLU-supported cause.
It was a set up from the get-go.
Well the only Nonsense is your above comment. The commentary to which you responded does not say Bryan won anything. It was a sham political charade trial and Bryant most certainly did not express the view of the Church nor did he speak for or represent Christianity as a whole. Just as those today who hold that the earth must be 5,000 years old, because they assert the bible says so. GK Chesterton Catholic and arguably one of the most brilliant know minds to have ever lived on the other hand did shred Darrow, and that is a matter of record. This would be made clear if one bothers to watch the video.
Jumper The Wise

Morgantown, KY

#520219 Mar 10, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest that because your avatar states "New Age Spiritual Leader" ... you are not pretending, and that you honestly believe you ARE a new-age spiritual leader.
Darn! I bet your Avatar is a loo loo!

Williams Lake, Canada

#520220 Mar 10, 2014
Hospice Care … Principle and Practice … Charles A. Corr, Ph.D.… Donna M. Corr, R.N., B.S. N. Editors.

There was integration—patients, staff, and visitors were all of equal importance; there seemed to be no dividing barriers. We noticed especially how easy it was to talk to the patients and how easily they accepted us. There was simplicity of approach to the problem of pain, and a lack of narrowmindedness which might so easily be prevalent in a place run by a religious order.
Jumper The Wise

Morgantown, KY

#520221 Mar 10, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
Have you noticed that after asking the supposed creator to strike me dead to prove that he lives ... I'm still posting???
I'm taunting your supposed all-powerful creator and I am still alive. It must a MIRACLE!
Bunkology
What's the point? You can't charge a tornado with murder.

You stand out in it or seek shelter.
Jumper The Wise

Morgantown, KY

#520222 Mar 10, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
Hospice Care … Principle and Practice … Charles A. Corr, Ph.D.… Donna M. Corr, R.N., B.S. N. Editors.
There was integration—patients, staff, and visitors were all of equal importance; there seemed to be no dividing barriers. We noticed especially how easy it was to talk to the patients and how easily they accepted us. There was simplicity of approach to the problem of pain, and a lack of narrowmindedness which might so easily be prevalent in a place run by a religious order.
That was somthing I did for a long time.You may mock religion but It was a comfort to a lot of people afraid of the unknown.

You would snatch that peace away with your arrogant views of faith.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#520223 Mar 10, 2014
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Well the only Nonsense is your above comment. The commentary to which you responded does not say Bryan won anything. It was a sham political charade trial and Bryant most certainly did not express the view of the Church nor did he speak for or represent Christianity as a whole. Just as those today who hold that the earth must be 5,000 years old, because they assert the bible says so. GK Chesterton Catholic and arguably one of the most brilliant know minds to have ever lived on the other hand did shred Darrow, and that is a matter of record. This would be made clear if one bothers to watch the video.
I didn't say it did say Bryan won anything. Just the opposite.

Unlike the pretend debate you linked to, there is a transcript from the Scopes trial, and it clearly shows Darrow eating Bryan alive.

There is no known transcript from the Chesterton-Darrow debate, and your hokey video is totally pretend.

Do you really think a skilled litigator -- one of the best -- would act that way, even if bested?

Really?

If you have to pretend, you got nothing.

I, on the other hand, have a transcript.

Williams Lake, Canada

#520224 Mar 10, 2014
Atheist ... "Why do you take comfort out of the idea that you will go to heaven and I will go to hell."

Christian ... "Because it makes me feel superior to you."

Atheist ... "Thanks for being honest. Most Christians lie about that issue."
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#520225 Mar 10, 2014
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
You do not even know what you believe....Jesus DOES NOT change the bread into Himself as you suggested. Your belief is listed below
Transubstantiation is a doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church. The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines this doctrine in section 1376:
"The Council of Trent summarizes the Catholic faith by declaring:‘Because Christ our Redeemer said that it was truly his body that he was offering under the species of bread, it has always been the conviction of the Church of God, and this holy Council now declares again, that by the consecration of the bread and wine there takes place a change of the whole substance of the bread into the substance of the body of Christ our Lord and of the whole substance of the wine into the substance of his blood. This change the holy Catholic Church has fittingly and properly called transubstantiation.’"
In other words, the Roman Catholic Church teaches that once an ordained priest blesses the bread of the Lord's Supper, it is transformed into the actual flesh of Christ (though it retains the appearance, odor, and taste of bread); and when he blesses the wine, it is transformed into the actual blood of Christ (though it retains the appearance, odor, and taste of wine). Is such a concept biblical? There are some Scriptures that, if interpreted strictly literally, would lead to the “real presence” of Christ in the bread and wine. Examples are John 6:32-58; Matthew 26:26; Luke 22:17-23; and 1 Corinthians 11:24-25. The passage pointed to most frequently is John 6:32-58 and especially verses 53-57,“Jesus said to them,‘I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life … For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him … so the one who feeds on me will live because of me.’”
PROTESTANTS BELIEVE.......
The Scriptures declare that the Lord's Supper is a memorial
The most serious reason transubstantiation should be rejected is that it is viewed by the Roman Catholic Church as a "re-sacrifice" of Jesus Christ for our sins, or as a “re-offering / re-presentation” of His sacrifice. This is directly in contradiction
Its the words of Jesus Christ, "this is my body" that change the bread. It's not the Priest's own words (although it is through thier ordination into the sacramental priesthood that makes this sacrament valid)
hey don't blame us it's what the Apostles taught us if you don't believe me you can read the writings of thier disciples.
I was talking to Preston btw not you. I think you two born again fanatics should beat the crap out of each other with bible verses tonight. its been awhile. I'll read about it in the morning,.,.,
its funny how the council of Trent was a direct response to the errors that Protestants were spreading. the church was forced to define things like the Eucharist and biblical canon. Then, like the deceptive snakes you guys are, you turn around and told everybody that the church just made this up. But hey, that's the only way you can have a religion, pretend the Bible fell from the sky pretend everyone got it wrong for 1600 years pretend you're a deacon and you're called to teach the new gospel. Your your ears are probably all white and red from itching them so much.

And we don't believe the mass is a re- sacrifice you liar. I know you know we don't believe that. I have no doubt you purposely typed that lie without giving second thoughts to falsely accusing us.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#520226 Mar 10, 2014
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe the Bible speaks of dinisaurs?

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#520227 Mar 10, 2014
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe the Bible speaks of dinisaurs?
I don't believe it speaks of June at all.

Just sayin'.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#520228 Mar 10, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#520229 Mar 10, 2014
Tango Bravo wrote:
<quoted text>
Your claims tell me you're babbling and that you have no valid sources for justifying your claims. If you did you would provide them, but you don't so can it.
Can it...

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#520230 Mar 10, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Can it...
Looks like he's asking for sources.

Surely you can plagiarize something, eh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope says Church should ask forgiveness from ga... 22 hr sharona 5
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Tue Mr Sir 10,166
News Nation-Now 57 mins ago 10:35 a.m.Pope Francis s... Jun 27 Rev Cash Dollar 1
News John Paul II College of Davao (Dec '07) Jun 20 tine 673
News Milwaukee Rising: Looking for the city's most u... Jun 20 Tom 2
News Pope names new papal nuncio to the United States Jun 1 Michael 7
News Pope's zero tolerance for pedophiles faces test... (Mar '15) May '16 Gods r Delusions ... 4
More from around the web