Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 646349 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#516697 Feb 22, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
And not one bad Pope ever altered the faith.
Then after centuries of slaughtering the Jews ... why did Pope John Paul II offer a heart-felt apology TO the Jews???

And why is Pope Francis now trying to preach to the Catholics that anti-Semitism is not acceptable???

And why did "golden tongue" John Chrysostom start the hatred against the Jews by insinuating that Jesus wanted the Jews slayed???

Do you ever have a thought of your own???
Liam

Garden City, MI

#516698 Feb 22, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
From the book,“History of Christianity,” by Clyde L. Manschreck … comes the following
With two popes reigning during the Great Schism, each anathematizing the other, many voices cried for reform, among them Conrad of Geinhausen, Heinrich of Langenstein, Peter of Ailli, John Gerson, and Nicholas of Clemanges. The agitation for a reforming council became so great that the cardinals of both Popes finally issued a call in Piza in 409. Neither the Pope of Avignon nor the one at Rome attended. Pisa declared both of them deposed, and elected Alexander V to be Pope. But the Popes at Avignon and Rome refused to be deposed, so that Christendom was faced with the spectacle of three Popes. The situation was intolerable.
Again, if God allowed Judas to be an Apostle of the Church, why couldn't He also allow a bad Pope... Or infighting amongst two Bishops who both thought they were Popes? Valuable lessons came from this and greatly benefited the maturity of the Church.

Even more remarkable, is that an atheist would give two cents about the Catholic Church. What ya afraid of Grandma? is there something there that irks you?
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#516699 Feb 22, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
From the book,“History of Christianity,” by Clyde L. Manschreck … comes the following
With two popes reigning during the Great Schism, each anathematizing the other, many voices cried for reform, among them Conrad of Geinhausen, Heinrich of Langenstein, Peter of Ailli, John Gerson, and Nicholas of Clemanges. The agitation for a reforming council became so great that the cardinals of both Popes finally issued a call in Piza in 409. Neither the Pope of Avignon nor the one at Rome attended. Pisa declared both of them deposed, and elected Alexander V to be Pope. But the Popes at Avignon and Rome refused to be deposed, so that Christendom was faced with the spectacle of three Popes. The situation was intolerable.
It is difficult to be deeply delusional in the Age of Knowledge.

Mystical claims fall under the microscope. Fundies of all stripes are forced to ignore reality and simple, historical fact.

My God does not require that I ignore science or history. My God does not require that I accept the absurd, like holy child abuse.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#516700 Feb 22, 2014
hojo wrote:
Saturday, February 22, 2014
Chair of St. Peter
This feast commemorates Christ’s choosing Peter to sit in his place as the servant-authority of the whole Church (see June 29).
After the “lost weekend” of pain, doubt and self-torment, Peter hears the Good News. Angels at the tomb say to Magdalene,“The Lord has risen! Go, tell his disciples and Peter.” John relates that when he and Peter ran to the tomb, the younger outraced the older, then waited for him. Peter entered, saw the wrappings on the ground, the headpiece rolled up in a place by itself. John saw and believed. But he adds a reminder:“...[T]hey did not yet understand the scripture that he had to rise from the dead”(John 20:9). They went home. There the slowly exploding, impossible idea became reality. Jesus appeared to them as they waited fearfully behind locked doors.“Peace be with you,” he said (John 20:21b), and they rejoiced.
The Pentecost event completed Peter’s experience of the risen Christ.“...[T]hey were all filled with the holy Spirit”(Acts 2:4a) and began to express themselves in foreign tongues and make bold proclamation as the Spirit prompted them.
Only then can Peter fulfill the task Jesus had given him:“...[O]nce you have turned back, you must strengthen your brothers”(Luke 22:32). He at once becomes the spokesman for the Twelve about their experience of the Holy Spirit—before the civil authorities who wished to quash their preaching, before the council of Jerusalem, for the community in the problem of Ananias and Sapphira. He is the first to preach the Good News to the Gentiles. The healing power of Jesus in him is well attested: the raising of Tabitha from the dead, the cure of the crippled beggar. People carry the sick into the streets so that when Peter passed his shadow might fall on them.
Even a saint experiences difficulty in Christian living. When Peter stopped eating with Gentile converts because he did not want to wound the sensibilities of Jewish Christians, Paul says,“...I opposed him to his face because he clearly was wrong....[T]hey were not on the right road in line with the truth of the gospel...”(Galatians 2:11b, 14a).
At the end of John’s Gospel, Jesus says to Peter,“Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were younger, you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted; but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go”(John 21:18). What Jesus said indicated the sort of death by which Peter was to glorify God. On Vatican Hill, in Rome, during the reign of Nero, Peter did glorify his Lord with a martyr’s death, probably in the company of many Christians.
Second-century Christians built a small memorial over his burial spot. In the fourth century, the Emperor Constantine built a basilica, which was replaced in the 16th century.
You believing your lying pope over the Sacred Infallible Word of God...

When you stand at the Great White Throne Judgement Seat, you will not be able to say "Well, the pope lied to me, and no one ever told me he lied to me"....
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#516701 Feb 22, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Liam" <quoted text>
Where has your husband been? Is his health ok?
----------
He is doing well. He is just weary of having to scroll through pages of people's posts who have no desire to share thoughts on the gospel...but just want to tout atheism and a bad attitude. We may not agree on everything, but the hope is to "come now, let us reason together".
I believe that we can learn from each other, and must if we are to learn the love of God. I trust that we are not each others enemies, but sincere believers who have not yet learned everything.
Be blessed...
KayMarie
Kay, what's your opinion of Kenneth Copeland?
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#516702 Feb 22, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, if God allowed Judas to be an Apostle of the Church, why couldn't He also allow a bad Pope... Or infighting amongst two Bishops who both thought they were Popes? Valuable lessons came from this and greatly benefited the maturity of the Church.
Even more remarkable, is that an atheist would give two cents about the Catholic Church. What ya afraid of Grandma? is there something there that irks you?
First funerals.

Now grandmothers.

Someone needs a hug.

Quesnel, Canada

#516703 Feb 22, 2014
It is plain how indoctrination takes a toll on Catholics to not think outside of the box.

Observe the words of this heavily indoctrinated Catholic that was as vile to others as any poster on any thread of which I have yet encountered.

Mary Hammond accused me of murdering my two daughters, all because I criticized her Catholic religion as not being based on any semblance of truth.

And she slammed another Catholic on the forum with the following.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

Post # 51924

Mary Hammond wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to stop running around making phony vows. You claim to be a catholic, and that means when you were confirmed you promised to die for the Pope and the Church at a moments notice.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#516704 Feb 22, 2014
Gods R Delusions x Mine wrote:
Regarding any religious proclamation by any poster here - which is the correct, honest and ethical way to state?
1... "Regarding religious dogma, I believe.... xyz."
or
2... "Regarding religious dogma I know... xyz."
Most humans, regardless of faith would answer #1.
Anything other than #1 ("believe") is deeply delusional.
Most posters here are deeply delusional.
Mine is the only true God.
Ramen
Gods R Delusions

Peace

When you write, "Mine is the only true God...," do you believe it, or know it?(smiles)

Peace
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#516705 Feb 22, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
If the,succession is,assured by the HOLY Spirit in regards,to the Pope....
What happens,when men allowed politics,to control it...
You know,darn well not EVERY Pope,was,God chosen ...so if you believe in succession the,way you do...it was,BROKEN.
I believe the,word of God preached by true believers,is,IN THE SUCCESSION.of what the,APOSTLES,DID.
I'm.sorry Clay..I just don't believe that what the RCC morphed into was what Jesus,intended.
I believe,y our modern POPES, are much closer ...And these,changes,would NOT have happened without the,Reformation
Meanwhile ...You SHOUKD watch the,Hannity program tonight about the,movie SON OF GOD..
those,folks,are,spreading God's,word ...God bless them...so is,Hannity ....by showcasing it..
Rose, don't you feel it's important for you to have an accurate understanding what apostolic succession and infallibility is?

Quesnel, Canada

#516706 Feb 22, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Just as you refuse to believe that the Jews were "god's" chosen few ... I refuse to believe that the Catholics were the "same god's" chosen few.

Theology is food for self-centered fools.
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#516707 Feb 22, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Then after centuries of slaughtering the Jews ... why did Pope John Paul II offer a heart-felt apology TO the Jews???
And why is Pope Francis now trying to preach to the Catholics that anti-Semitism is not acceptable???
And why did "golden tongue" John Chrysostom start the hatred against the Jews by insinuating that Jesus wanted the Jews slayed???
Do you ever have a thought of your own???
These CC fundies are painted into the corner by claims which do not hold up to the test of time.

So for the deluded, down is up and up is down.

One or more insane Popes and some wildly immoral Popes were appointed not just as Pope, but as god's personal vicar, god's stand-in on earth. Sure, sure.

Sure, that makes lots of sense. Go figure? 2000 years of special guidance and perfection and only 5% of humanity get it.

Their own Pope tells them not to focus on this kind of dogma, but they are hooked.

It is sad. Mine is the only true God. My God does not require me to get angry in its defense.

Ramen

Quesnel, Canada

#516708 Feb 22, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Kay, what's your opinion of Kenneth Copeland?
Kenneth and the pope are now playing nice with other in the attitude that Jesus the ex-Jew speaks for both Catholics and Protestants.

The manure is getting spread every which way ... as the big boys try to make division seem as though it is uniting.

Silly fools.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

Listen at about 40:00 as Kenneth Copeland and the congregants join in prayer for the Holy Father; then watch as Anthony Palmer videotapes a return message to Pope Francis from Kenneth Copeland himself.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/kathyschiffer/20...

Quesnel, Canada

#516709 Feb 22, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose, don't you feel it's important for you to have an accurate understanding what apostolic succession and infallibility is?
Hahahahahaha

So according to you, Jesus and the apostles had to become Catholic in order to be infallible???

Hilarious!
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#516710 Feb 22, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Gods R Delusions
Peace
When you write, "Mine is the only true God...," do you believe it, or know it?(smiles)
Peace
Good question. Thank you.

I will reflect on the meaning.

Ramen :o)

Quesnel, Canada

#516711 Feb 22, 2014
Gods R Delusions x Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
These CC fundies are painted into the corner by claims which do not hold up to the test of time.
So for the deluded, down is up and up is down.
One or more insane Popes and some wildly immoral Popes were appointed not just as Pope, but as god's personal vicar, god's stand-in on earth. Sure, sure.
Sure, that makes lots of sense. Go figure? 2000 years of special guidance and perfection and only 5% of humanity get it.
Their own Pope tells them not to focus on this kind of dogma, but they are hooked.
It is sad. Mine is the only true God. My God does not require me to get angry in its defense.
Ramen
Life-long hypnosis is difficult to break free from ... and especially so when the will is strong to keep on defending the religious illusions.

Quesnel, Canada

#516712 Feb 22, 2014
To a Lutheran ... I suggest the following words are fighting words.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

“Brothers and sisters, Luther’s protest is over. Is yours?”

ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#516713 Feb 22, 2014
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Regina how are you? Nice verses your posting and they show how we are the temple and not a philosophy of rituals but actual deeds wrought in Jesus.
Hi Marge, good to see you! I'm fine, hope all is well with you and yours.
I agree, our faith is not based on a "philosophy of rituals". Our hope is in God alone, and it is for love of Him and our brothers and sisters that we seek to do good in this world. God doesn't need rituals, we do!

Quesnel, Canada

#516714 Feb 22, 2014
So ... Catholics and Protestants on the forum ... I suggest you pay heed to the following words and never argue with each other again.

:)

I wonder where the Jews and Muslims and Hindus, et cetera are supposed to fit in to that divine picture ... or if once again they will be perceived as being rejected by the "god" that favors both Catholics and Protestants???

>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

Palmer said that the divisions between Catholics and Protestants have had no reason to exist since the 1999 Catholic-Lutheran Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification. In that agreement, both Catholics and Lutherans recognized that “by grace alone, in faith in Christ’s saving work and not because of any merit on our part, we are accepted by God and receive the Holy Spirit, who renews our hearts while equipping and calling us to good works.”

ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#516715 Feb 22, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Liam" <quoted text>
Where has your husband been? Is his health ok?
----------
He is doing well. He is just weary of having to scroll through pages of people's posts who have no desire to share thoughts on the gospel...but just want to tout atheism and a bad attitude. We may not agree on everything, but the hope is to "come now, let us reason together".
I believe that we can learn from each other, and must if we are to learn the love of God. I trust that we are not each others enemies, but sincere believers who have not yet learned everything.
Be blessed...
KayMarie
Maybe we should start introducing some topics that we'd like to discuss and simply talk around the non-believers. I'm all for discussion and love teaching others the faith.

Quesnel, Canada

#516716 Feb 22, 2014
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
God doesn't need rituals, we do!
Are you CERTAIN that you are qualified to speak for the "god" that according to the Jews used to love only the Jews???

Maybe without you knowing it ... "god" automatically disqualified those who chose to take the titles of Catholics and Protestants.

tongue in cheek

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Fri Crazy 10,159
News John Paul II College of Davao (Dec '07) Jun 20 tine 673
News Milwaukee Rising: Looking for the city's most u... Jun 20 Tom 2
News Pope names new papal nuncio to the United States Jun 1 Michael 7
News Pope's zero tolerance for pedophiles faces test... (Mar '15) May 27 Gods r Delusions ... 4
News Pope Francis eases way for divorced Catholics w... May 27 truth 54
News Pope Francis meets top Sunni cleric May '16 Bullet Proof Pope 1
More from around the web