Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 685932 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Michael

Canada

#512558 Feb 6, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
As the TRUTH fits Michael----you eventually have to "wear it"..!!!
You are not following ReginaM's request to you. Don't post to Michael. Do you not have self control?
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#512559 Feb 6, 2014
cont
The Gifts of the Holy Spirit: The Bible is clear that the Holy Spirit gives each believer spiritual abilities and/or gifts. Key passages that refer to these gifts include 1 Corinthians 12 and 14, Romans 12, and Ephesians 4. Of particular emphasis is whether the sign gifts or charismatic gifts are still operating today, along with defining what each of the listed biblical gifts includes.

The study of pneumatology is of tremendous importance to Christians as it is a study of God Himself. The Holy Spirit plays a vital role in the life of each believer. He is our Comforter (John 16:7) and helps in our prayers (Romans 8:26). Further, studying the role and work of the Holy Spirit protects us from the many inaccurate teachings that have circulated within churches. By engaging in pneumatology, we can grow personally and help others to live according to what Scripture truly teaches in this area.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#512561 Feb 6, 2014
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if you remember it here three and four years ago, Liam, but he used to be laughed off this board because everyone knew he was only looking for attention. Now he's got an audience with their own anti-Catholic axes to grind and they kiss his feet as they drink at the fountain of his sickness. Anyone who truly cares would already know that the Church has stringent measures in place to prevent this from happening again as much as is possible. And they consulted professionals, not self-glorified social workers. It's best to just ignore them as it's stomach turning to watch them get satisfaction out of the suffering of others. They're actually gloating over it. Nothing is sicker than that. Nothing.
Again missing the point ...deflecting...the problem is these secular institutions..the press ..not Michael..And a,poster suggesting he have surgery is definitely out of line. That's,what we object to.

Most of us hate this,subject ...But it's giving the politicians,a to whole to POLICE CHURCHES who hate abortion..sex traffic..etc

...And your pope is the one who might get them to listen to EXACTLY what has been done ..

No one in tv land is going to look it up ....it's headlines ...And FRANCIS,has their ear .

An y one reading this thread ...gets a really bad impression IMO by deflecting to other churches.

All churches SHOULd deal with this,PUBLICLY

HOW, MANY TIMES,ON THIS BOARD HAVE Y OU REFERRED TO THE CC AS T HE VISIBLE CHURCH.....it's,a target......because of its actions ...evil men d king the work of the EVIL ONE....

And no non Catholic should be glad of this,UN thing either..

They hate all Christians,and Jews,....

Berating Michael ..not g o I Nguyen to help anyone ....And I'm referring to name calling posts...etc..

You all should write to your pope ...have him speak out as forcefully as,possible on what has been done ....And be Tran s parent ...just an idea that is a bit constructive

You say he is the head of Christianity ...of the RCC ...I hope he d does,stop this,UN in its,tracks
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#512562 Feb 6, 2014
Who is the Holy Spirit?
Many people misunderstand the identity of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is commonly thought of as an impersonal force. Some people think of it as a healing or protective power to which God gives a believer access. But what does the Bible say about the Holy Spirit? Scripture tells us that the Holy Spirit is not just an impersonal power or a force, but a Person – the third Person of the trinity, in fact. The Holy Spirit is God Himself.

The Holy Spirit appears synonymously with God in many places in the Bible, both in the New and Old Testaments. In Acts 5:3-4, Peter asks Ananias why he has lied to the Holy Spirit, and it is clear that lying to the Holy Spirit is the same as lying to God. He shares the characteristics of God, such as omniscience and omnipresence, as seen in Psalm 139:7-8, which says "Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!" Again in 1 Corinthians 2:10-11, God's attribute of omniscience is also present in the Holy Spirit: "these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. For who knows a person's thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God."

The Holy Spirit is a divine Person, and He is intimately involved in our salvation, along with the Father and the Son, as shown in Romans 8:11 which says, "If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you." The Holy Spirit has thoughts and knowledge (1 Corinthians 2:10), and He can feel sorrow and grief (Ephesians 4:30). The Spirit can make intercession for believers (Romans 8:26-27). He also has a will and makes decisions (1 Corinthians 12:7-11).

In summary, the Holy Spirit is God. He is the third Person of the Trinity. Only as that divine Person can the Holy Spirit be to believers a Comforter and a Counselor, according to the promise of Jesus (John 14:16,26; 15:26).
Michael

Canada

#512563 Feb 6, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>

As the TRUTH fits Michael----you eventually have to "wear it"..!!!
You tell me what I post is not true? Don't generalize, be specific. I am waiting..........
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#512564 Feb 6, 2014
What is the role of the Holy Spirit? How is the Holy Spirit active in our lives today?
The Bible notes several roles the Holy Spirit plays in the lives of people today. First, the Holy Spirit provides conviction of sin to all people. John 16:8 notes, "And when he [the Holy Spirit] comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment."

For believers in Christ, the Holy Spirit works in additional ways. One of these roles is to serve as a helper or comforter. John 14:16-17 records Jesus saying, "And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him." The Greek word translated as "Helper" or "Comforter" (KJV) refers to one who is called alongside another, providing the idea of a guide or encourager during times of need. This takes place as God's Spirit indwells the believer from the point of salvation (Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20).

An additional role of the Holy Spirit is to guide the believer into truth. John 16:13 reads, "When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth." Rather than depending on our human reasoning, we have a supernatural guide in the form of God's indwelling Holy Spirit.

Further, the Holy Spirit helps believers to glorify the Lord. John 16:14 reveals, "He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you." We have a desire to worship the Lord because God's Spirit lives within us as believers.

For believers, the Holy Spirit also gives special gifts. First Corinthians 12, Romans 12:3-8, and 1 Peter 4:10-11 reveal the names of many gifts God's Spirit provides to believers. Each believer has at least one (1 Corinthians 12:7), and each person is specifically gifted for the acts of service God has prepared for him or her (Ephesians 2:10). The gifts are given to allow the church to work together to meet needs, make disciples, and glorify God.

God's Spirit also enables believers to produce the fruit of the Spirit. Galatians 5:22-23 shares, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law." Without God's Spirit, people are unable to produce fruitful lives that reflect the desires of God.

The Holy Spirit indwells us as believers. In addition to the many roles He plays in our lives, He seals us as belonging to God (see Ephesians 1:13-14). The Holy Spirit is the person of God who lives with us in our time on earth and teaches us to truly know and follow God.
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Williams Lake, Canada

#512565 Feb 6, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Gradual process you say!!(lol)
When I started school there was no kindergarten. We started right in grade one. By the 3rd day I was already in trouble with my teacher. Sister Marceline.
Grade 4 I was sent to stand out in the hallway again during religion class, when I witnessed our young parish priest go into the principals office and scream at her for about 5 minutes. Our principal was a nun. He came out slammed the door he couldn't see me I was beside a bookshelf in the hallway. A minute later the nun came out her tears were still visible she saw me and asked why I was there. She said come with me. In a hurry we went down the hallway, down a flight of stairs out through the playground, across the street to the church. I didn't know what the hell was going on. We go to the back of the church and under a cabinet pull out a huge glass bottle full of holy water. I helped her pour water into the empty holy water containers at the front and back door entrances to the church.
Now I know why she was verbally abused by this priest. Couldn't he do this himself. Not his job? Just the week before the two nuns in our school were out in front of the church with a couple school kids shovelling the snow in front of the church. The 3 priests in the parish their cars in the driveway inside doing what?
That was the first start of my breakaway.
Thanks for sharing.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#512566 Feb 6, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> My point was that I do not post perverted posts...
I hear that often around here and wonder where the idea came from that only certain words qualify as perverted, disgusting, filthy, cursing, etc. It's like George Carlin's famous list of Seven Words You Can't Say On Television. It's a juvenile perspective as there are equally, if not more, objectionable thoughts expressed without ever uttering a single one of those words, especially among the "list clutchers" and naysayers on this board.

And before you open your mouth, I'm not "defending" anything.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#512567 Feb 6, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The proof is out there. You're not interested. Keep grinding that ax.
If you are building that "ax" for me, I will be more than glad to accommodate you with hundreds of articles that reinforce my position if you wish to turn this into a bashing issue. I have refrained, and simply stated my opinion based in that information, but we can certainly change all that if you wish.
Michael

Canada

#512568 Feb 6, 2014
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. The idea that it's all personal opinion and there is no objective truth harkens back to the 1960s school of depravity..."if it feels good, do it". And who is suffering for it the most? Women. There's nothing original about it either, although the "philosophers" of the day tried to peddle it as such. And the hordes lined up to sign on the dotted line, no questions asked. Now *that's* who you call sheeple!
90 years ago women weren't allowed to vote in america.. 50 years ago catholuc women weren't allowed on the altar of the roman catholic church. Today women are stll not allowed any policy making church positions, and no matter how holy they are the church will never allow them to ever become equal to a clergy member.

Sounds like segregation to me. Do you really believe God wanted us segregated, and if so for what purpose?

Its an old boys club, and they want it to remain that way.
June VanDerMark

Williams Lake, Canada

#512569 Feb 6, 2014
Husker wrote:
“In the inner heart of every person the voice of God and the insidious voice of the Evil One can be heard. The latter seeks to deceive the human person, seducing him with the prospect of false goods, to lead him away from the real good that consists precisely in fulfilling the divine will.”
~ Pope John Paul II, Angelus, March 9, 2003
Do you believe that the church fathers filled a divine will when they claimed that Jesus wanted the Jews SLAYED???

If you don't choose to come out of your stupefied slumber ... others can't do it for you.
June VanDerMark

Williams Lake, Canada

#512570 Feb 6, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
"All of us Catholics on this forum are united and remain True to the biblical, historical and traditional teachings of the Church,
And if your conscience was active ... that would result in you feeling SHAME!

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#512571 Feb 6, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for sharing.
Doesn't the Holy Trinity defeat the purpose of Monotheism?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#512572 Feb 6, 2014
For ITB AKA Tango Bravo and her ilk..

When the plain sense of Scripture makes common sense, seek no other sense; Therefore, take every word at its primary, ordinary, usual, literal meaning.

Unless the facts of the immediate context, studied in the light of related passages and axiomatic (self evident) and fundamental truths indicate clearly otherwise.

Christ said: And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

The key to understanding the literal sense of Scripture is to distinguish between the terms literal and literalistic.

Every text of Scripture has a literal sense. That is, every text of Scripture has a meaning the author intends to convey. It does not therefore follow that every text of Scripture is to be read literalistically, like a newspaper.

If I tell you, "My heart is broken" I have a definite meaning I'm trying to convey: I am deeply grieved. But I am not using literalistic language to convey that meaning. I don't mean "My cardiac tissue is torn."

Thing is....some people are not able to make those distinctions...
Liam

Garden City, MI

#512573 Feb 6, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Liam says the number of cases was never over whelming.
Michael says, to date over $3 billion in lawsuits. 11 american doceses filed for bankruptcy because of the scandals, 25-30 priests caught in your diocese involving dozens of victims, same with Philadelphia, Chicago etc and around the world. All kept secret from you. You OK with that?
Want more numbers?
Its unbelievable that you could be this obsessed with it. Something is terribly wrong with you.

Anyway, I'll keep clarifying this stuff as long as losers like you are spreading deception.

Lets examine your deception:

"25 - 30 Priests caught in my diocese".

Now, you'd love for everyone to believe this is for 2013 alone. But that's not the truth is it? In fact, those statistics are for the last 50 yrs. Why don't you say that?

30/50 = 0.6.

0.6 credible cases a yr for the last 50 yrs!

How many in your fire department? How many in your school district? You're a joke. I'm smart enough to understand why you get on here every hour to talk about this stuff. Your no different than Ox. Your a loser who has nothing better to do then to play games with us; try to get under our skin.
June VanDerMark

Williams Lake, Canada

#512574 Feb 6, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called "free choice" June ( not bullying)!!!
You are living proof that belief that has been indoctrinated as truth is not free from such religious stupidity on which you re-LIE.

Do you believe that it makes sense (within theology) for the supposed master of LOVE (Jesus) to WANT the Jews to be slayed as Jesus' enemies???

THAT is what was taught as BASIC UNDENIABLE TRUTH STRAIGH FROM GOD by your church fathers.
Michael

Canada

#512575 Feb 6, 2014
LTM wrote:
Who is the Holy Spirit?
Many people misunderstand the identity of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is commonly thought of as an impersonal force. Some people think of it as a healing or protective power to which God gives a believer access. But what does the Bible say about the Holy Spirit? Scripture tells us that the Holy Spirit is not just an impersonal power or a force, but a Person – the third Person of the trinity, in fact. The Holy Spirit is God Himself.
The Holy Spirit appears synonymously with God in many places in the Bible, both in the New and Old Testaments. In Acts 5:3-4, Peter asks Ananias why he has lied to the Holy Spirit, and it is clear that lying to the Holy Spirit is the same as lying to God. He shares the characteristics of God, such as omniscience and omnipresence, as seen in Psalm 139:7-8, which says "Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!" Again in 1 Corinthians 2:10-11, God's attribute of omniscience is also present in the Holy Spirit: "these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. For who knows a person's thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God."
The Holy Spirit is a divine Person, and He is intimately involved in our salvation, along with the Father and the Son, as shown in Romans 8:11 which says, "If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you." The Holy Spirit has thoughts and knowledge (1 Corinthians 2:10), and He can feel sorrow and grief (Ephesians 4:30). The Spirit can make intercession for believers (Romans 8:26-27). He also has a will and makes decisions (1 Corinthians 12:7-11).
In summary, the Holy Spirit is God. He is the third Person of the Trinity. Only as that divine Person can the Holy Spirit be to believers a Comforter and a Counselor, according to the promise of Jesus (John 14:16,26; 15:26).
Why is the holy spirit referred to as a person. A person is a human being.

Makes no common sense where there are 3 distinct, equal persons of god,yet God the father clearly makes all the decisions for the other 2 persons of god.

God father sent holy spirit to impregnate Mary as christian only teachings claim, and god the father commissioned Jesus god to earth. Sounds like God the father is the one in charge of the other two persons of god, yet they are all suppose to be equal.
Michael

Canada

#512576 Feb 6, 2014
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear that often around here and wonder where the idea came from that only certain words qualify as perverted, disgusting, filthy, cursing, etc. It's like George Carlin's famous list of Seven Words You Can't Say On Television. It's a juvenile perspective as there are equally, if not more, objectionable thoughts expressed without ever uttering a single one of those words, especially among the "list clutchers" and naysayers on this board.
And before you open your mouth, I'm not "defending" anything.
You a good Catholic allowed yourself to watch George Carlin?? I bet you miss him now that he is gone.
hojo

Excelsior, MN

#512577 Feb 6, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
You tell me what I post is not true? Don't generalize, be specific. I am waiting..........
10 percent (at best) considering your liberal news sources from the slant, twist, spin and the overblown (anti-Catholic) exaggerations that these writer "hacks" put on their "trying to get ANYONE to read" overstated and disproportionate (so-called)news stories..!!
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#512578 Feb 6, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Again missing the point ...deflecting...the problem is these secular institutions..the press ..not Michael..And a,poster suggesting he have surgery is definitely out of line. That's,what we object to.
Most of us hate this,subject ...But it's giving the politicians,a to whole to POLICE CHURCHES who hate abortion..sex traffic..etc
...And your pope is the one who might get them to listen to EXACTLY what has been done ..
No one in tv land is going to look it up ....it's headlines ...And FRANCIS,has their ear .
An y one reading this thread ...gets a really bad impression IMO by deflecting to other churches.
All churches SHOULd deal with this,PUBLICLY
HOW, MANY TIMES,ON THIS BOARD HAVE Y OU REFERRED TO THE CC AS T HE VISIBLE CHURCH.....it's,a target......because of its actions ...evil men d king the work of the EVIL ONE....
And no non Catholic should be glad of this,UN thing either..
They hate all Christians,and Jews,....
Berating Michael ..not g o I Nguyen to help anyone ....And I'm referring to name calling posts...etc..
You all should write to your pope ...have him speak out as forcefully as,possible on what has been done ....And be Tran s parent ...just an idea that is a bit constructive
You say he is the head of Christianity ...of the RCC ...I hope he d does,stop this,UN in its,tracks
Of course the Church is a target, and we know why. Michael is not the innocent here, Rose. He's seeking attention by distorting, misrepresenting and grossly overstating a heinous situation for his own profit. He's got a little cult following here with their own profit seeking agenda who make him feel loved.(Btw, there are ways to profit other than financially, so please don't even go there.) You didn't know that the Church has had stringent measures in place to protect against abuse for a while now. You also were not aware that the vast majority of the cases you're hearing about today happened decades ago. If you're truly concerned, you should take the time to find these things out before making assumptions and posting them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Aug 16 Married in 10,583
News Boston cardinal, Jewish leaders have Holocaust ... (Feb '09) Aug 12 Jeremy 24
News Evangelical Trump supporters want meeting with ... Aug 9 Ms Sassy 1
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Aug 8 -Prince Of Darkness- 84,839
News Pope 'loves China', Vatican official says on tr... Aug 8 Harold 2
News Pope Francis accepts resignation of Boston Auxi... Jul 29 Anti- 2
News 'That's all he wanted': Spicer, a devout Cathol... Jul 25 misleading troller 2
More from around the web