Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 554,488
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Gods R Delusions but Mine

Orlando, FL

#511321 Feb 2, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Gods R Delusions
Peace
As usual, I am not going to be a conventional Christian on this subject....
First off, God did not create the Church on this earth to save humanity. That work went to Jesus.
His effect on humanity has been far-reaching, even transcending cultural boundaries into peoples by way of virtue, and not direct "assimilation".
As a general rule, I would way Jesus was 100% effective in what he did, but people accept according to their understanding only a part of what he did....
Peace
100% effective? Really? A little biased maybe?

OK, Jesus was 100% successful in making sure you had a good chance to experience the fullness of faith and amazing salvation.

But what about the other 90% of humanity who did NOT have the same cultural benefits as yourself? Somehow, you are that special?

I wouldn't consider 5-10% a success, yet alone a 100% success.

The only way I can see to that is to assume that one's self counts far more in God's eyes, far more than the vast majority of other humans.

Do you believe you are lucky to be raised in the correct faith, or pre-favored by God?

Ramen
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#511322 Feb 2, 2014
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
http://io9.com/does-the-new-pope-believe-in-e ...
It is hard to determine who is more ignorant, you or Husker. At this point I favor you.
Your Roman Catholic cult supports evolution. Does the Bible support and endorse and in any way suggest evolution is correct and creation is incorrect? This one point is proof positive the Roman Catholic cult is not of God but from hell. Go back to your pitiful hole.
<quoted text>
Hey big mouth, enlighten us. How do scientist date the earth? What facts do they use? Do they use carbon dating?
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab2...
You won't read this because you are too stupid but maybe somebody else will.
Finally, God said in Genesis He created the earth in 6 days. Are you calling God a liar?
You DO believe Mary is a new Eve which in not in the Word of God and you DO NOT believe God created the earth in 6 days which is in the Word of God. You believe what is not true and what is true you do not believe. Roman Catholic theology at it's best.
The title of your link tells me its a fanatical website. I read it and can confirm, its a fanatical website. The author uses quotes and arguments that date to the 19th century. In fact, Dr. Mortenson only briefly comes into the 20th century for a paragraph.

Btw, I find it hilarious that this fundie carries the title of "Doctor" and probably being a fundie, would argue against the Catholic Church by saying, "call no man father"!!(Doctor is in the same category as father, teacher, Rabbi etc)
Husker

Falls City, NE

#511323 Feb 2, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
The main difference,I see, for what it's,worth..the,orthodox,Obviu islyObviously feel theirs,is,the,good way to worship...But they seem to allow,that folks,CNN have TRUE SAVING GRACE without being Orthodox...
Sorry we do not get that from some,on this,forum Clay ...
And Scripture,tells,US,we,get grace,..Faith from God..not a,Church DENOMINATIIN..
Jesus,knew,there would be a,split ..as,we are human
.And sin in the Churches ...he just asked us,to follow,Him....Him..Him...
I believe there is,Grace the,free,Gift from God and by which we,have TRUE FAITH in every DENOMINATIIN..it's,personal ..Jesus,knows,His,sheep the,Father has,given Him . And many love HIM ...
It should in a,perfect world Unite us,...
Rose, Only through the Eucharist. 1406 Jesus said: "I am the living bread that came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; ... he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life and ... abides in me, and I in him" (Jn 6:51, 54, 56).

1407 The Eucharist is the heart and the summit of the Church's life, for in it Christ associates his Church and all her members with his sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving offered once for all on the cross to his Father; by this sacrifice he pours out the graces of salvation on his Body which is the Church.

1408 The Eucharistic celebration always includes: the proclamation of the Word of God; thanksgiving to God the Father for all his benefits, above all the gift of his Son; the consecration of bread and wine; and participation in the liturgical banquet by receiving the Lord's body and blood. These elements constitute one single act of worship.

1409 The Eucharist is the memorial of Christ's Passover, that is, of the work of salvation accomplished by the life, death, and resurrection of Christ, a work made present by the liturgical action.

1410 It is Christ himself, the eternal high priest of the New Covenant who, acting through the ministry of the priests, offers the Eucharistic sacrifice. And it is the same Christ, really present under the species of bread and wine, who is the offering of the Eucharistic sacrifice.From the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#511324 Feb 2, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Whadda hoot.
You lie and deny yourself into a corner, and then I'm beating a dead horse, eh?
But we can change the subject.
You still a thief?
Never have been a thief....you are still a lying snake...
hojo

Chanhassen, MN

#511325 Feb 2, 2014
v
&#57358;

&#57357;

[No Subject]

&#57357;
&#57358;

THE TRUE CHURCH and BIBLE

When did the Church established by Jesus Christ get the name Catholic?

Christ left the adoption of a name for His Church to those whom he commissioned to teach all nations. Christ called the spiritual society He established, "My Church" (Mt. xvi, 18), "the Church" (Mt. xviii, 17).

In order to have a distinction between the Church and the Synagogue and to have a distinguishing name from those embracing Judaic and Gnostic errors we find St. Ignatius (50-107 AD) using the Greek word "Katholicos" (universal) to describe the universality of the Church established by Christ. St. Ignatius was appointed Bishop of Antioch by St. Peter, the Bishop of Rome. It is in his writings that we find the word Catholic used for the first time. St. Augustine, when speaking about the Church of Christ, calls it the Catholic Church 240 times in his writings.

St. Ignatius of Antioch, disciple of the Apostle John, concerning the heretics of his day wrote: "They have abstained from the Eucharist and prayer, because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of Our Savior Jesus Christ."

St. Justin Martyr, another Church Father of the second century wrote: "This food is known among us as the Eucharist... We do not receive these things as common bread and common drink; but as Jesus Christ our Savior, being made flesh by the Word of God."

"Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has life everlasting and I will raise Him up on the last day. For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed" (John 6:54-56) "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?" they argued.(John 6:53) "And whilst they were at supper, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke: and gave to his disciples, and said: Take ye, and eat. THIS IS MY BODY. And taking the chalice, he gave thanks, and gave to them, saying: Drink ye all of this. FOR THIS IS MY BLOOD." (cf. Matt. 26:26-28; Mark 14:22-24; Luke 22:19-20).

In the most unequivocal language the Apostles affirmed that the bread and wine duly consecrated on the altar did in fact become the actual Substance of the Savior. Declared the Apostle Paul: "The chalice of benediction which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? And the bread which we break, is it not the partaking of the body of the Lord?" (1 Cor. 10:16)

....Receive ye the Holy Ghost. Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained." (John 20:19-23). "Amen I say to you, whatsoever you shall bind upon earth, shall be bound also in heaven; and whatsoever you shall loose upon earth, shall be loosed also in heaven." (Matt. 18:18) "Take heed to yourselves, and to the whole flock, wherein the Holy Ghost hath placed you bishops, to rule the church of God ..." (Acts. 20:28) "And when they had ordained to them priests in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, in whom they believed." (Acts 14:22). " He that heareth you, heareth me; and he that despiseth you, despiseth me; and he that despiseth me, despiseth Him that sent me." - Luke 10:16

Catholic Church is the church most united in Christ. The spectacle of one billion Catholics, three-fifths of all professed Christians, perfectly, indomitably united in belief, in organization, and in worship - the historical fact that Catholics, consistently the largest body of Christians in the world, have always been thus perfectly united - was evidence nobody can not ignore. Here is the unity of Bible prophecy - nowhere else on the Christian scene was there a unity nearly so compact, nearly so long-lived. Nowhere else on the Christian scene was there a unity so obviously permanent.v

Location hidden

#511326 Feb 2, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
Apparently Philip Seymour Hoffman has died from a struggle with addiction.
He brilliantly played Father Flynn in the movie "Doubt", a film worth seeing if you haven't.
He died not of a struggle with addiction....he died of an over dose of drugs....

Location hidden

#511327 Feb 2, 2014
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>prove the Bible WRONG. God provided a body for Jesus, not Mary, she provided her body to bring Him forth. while is this difficult for any Person to understand?
If ANYTHING came from her, then He is halfman/half God. Simple as can be. and this suggestion ofmine is based on what the Bible is clear about. Mary was simple a surrogate(vessel), used by God. no more nor no less.
as far as looking those terms up, you defeated ANY argument that you put forth. they come hundreds of years AFTER THE FACT. I DONT EVEN KNOW WHY I MESSED WITH YOU. YOUR IGNORANCE IS ASTONISHING.
You would think that a man "called of God" would believe the Word of God!!!!

Php 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#511328 Feb 2, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what i mean.....no matter what, you'll find a way to be negative. You'll find a way to grumble about the Catholic Church. Are you that insecure?
I get the impression you'll deny just about anything out of fear of 'appearing Catholic'.
The Bishop gave a factual account of the current Orthodox-Catholic dialogue. You took it as a slight when all he did was assess the truth. I get the impression there is an inferiority complex going on.
Yes Liam, he was expressing the sentiments of which have acknowledged by Orthdox in discussion. There was nothing at all arrogant about his statement. He isn't there to agitate. These 2 clowns have no credibility at all and they have never brought anything of value here. Orthodox leaders know they have a huge problem not just in America. The Ravenna Conference was another example of their infighting that caused Hillarion the Russian Representative to leave.

..."SCOBA's Ad Hoc Commission on Unity as reported in the Minutes of the SCOBA Meeting XI in 1970, presented by such lights as Frs. Alexander Schmemann and John Meyendorff, in which just such a hampered missionary witness is predicted,

The Orthodox Church cannot claim to be the true, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church if she is actually divided into a plurality of mutually independent, competing, and overlapping jurisdictions. This division has long ago ceased to be justified by the peculiarities of Orthodox immigration in America, and has become an open scandal to the faithful, a source of demoralization and dissatisfaction in the laity, and an obstacle to any effort or progress.

http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles6/Trenh...

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#511329 Feb 2, 2014
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>prove the Bible WRONG. God provided a body for Jesus, not Mary, she provided her body to bring Him forth. while is this difficult for any Person to understand?
If ANYTHING came from her, then He is halfman/half God. Simple as can be. and this suggestion ofmine is based on what the Bible is clear about. Mary was simple a surrogate(vessel), used by God. no more nor no less.
as far as looking those terms up, you defeated ANY argument that you put forth. they come hundreds of years AFTER THE FACT. I DONT EVEN KNOW WHY I MESSED WITH YOU. YOUR IGNORANCE IS ASTONISHING.
Preston

It seems to me you are just restating your belief that God provided a body for Jesus. I am not sure what Bible scriptures you have to support this....I am curious, if you dare provide them for me, as I am just to ignorant to know of what you write....I will certainly give it some thought....

Moses did not pick up an imitation or substitute viper in the desert to raise. I do not understand how you can belief that God would offer up a substitute or imitation of human being......

Wait, a second. You are not of the Manichean thought that flesh is evil and spirit divine????That may be it. If it is, I understand now why you cannot allow Mary's flesh to be a part of God's Spirit....But this has all kinds of complications for post-Augustinian thought!

Flesh is not evil.

(Remember there are evil spiritual beings as well as good ones. Likewise flesh which may be opposed to the spirit, is not necessarily evil, otherwise God would destroy all flesh, and spirit.)
Nor would there be a resurrected body, since it "might" still be capable of doing evil. We just do not know how much of our "free-will" is going to be given up in the resurrected body.)

Peace
postroad

Canada

#511330 Feb 2, 2014
All this makes me wonder why the Father chose to deny Jesus his prayer?
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#511331 Feb 2, 2014
Jesus was God before Mary was even born. Mary is the vessel that produced the Messiah from the line of David, she is not the mother of God.

The Bible NEVER teaches about the "immaculate conception" of Mary. In fact, the Bible clearly teaches the exact opposite concerning Mary...

Romans 3:10-12, 10 " as it is written:“None is righteous, no, not one;
11 no one understands; no one seeks for God. 12 All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.”

The Immaculate Conception of Mary is a fraud, a big hoax! God's Word clearly declares that all of humanity is sinful The ONLY person who ever walked this earth without sin was the Lord Jesus Christ. We know this is true because the Bible clearly proclaims Christ's sinlessness...

II Corinthians 5:21, "For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Hebrews 4:15, "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin."

Jesus was perfect! Jesus never did or said anything which He should not have. Jesus was the Lamb of God, without spot or blemish. Mary, Jesus' earthly mother, was a sinner just like you and me. Mary was a sinner just like Hitler or John Wayne Gacy, the mass murderer. We are ALL horrible sinners. We tend to think that we're not so bad because we compare ourselves to worse sinners. However, the ONLY accurate measuring stick is the Word of God and the Lord Jesus Christ. If we compare ourselves to God's Word, then we will see just how filthy and wicked we really are in God's eyes.

Isaiah 64:6, "We have all become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment. We all fade like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away."

The Bible teaches that even our good works are "filthy rags" in the sight of God. Why? Simply because God cannot be impressed with our self-righteousness. The whole reason why Jesus came to earth to atone for our sins is because we cannot save ourselves. How can a sinner make himself clean? How can a trapped man free himself? ONLY through Jesus Christ can anyone be saved and go to heaven. ONLY through Jesus can we have our sins forgiven. Salvation is all about getting your sins forgiven and having your name written in heaven in the Lamb's book of life. No amount of religion or personal effort can merit a person heaven. We must rest in the finished work of Christ's atonement by trusting upon the Lord. We must believe upon the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31).

Again, there is NOT one Scripture in the entire Bible which even hints to such nonsense as the "immaculate conception of Mary." Mary was born with a sin-nature just like any other fallen human. ONLY the Lord Jesus Christ was born without a sin-nature. This is because Jesus did NOT have an earthly father, but God in heaven was His Father. Jesus had God's blood flowing in His veins, not man's (Acts 20:28, "Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood.). Jesus had Adam's flesh, but not Adam's sin-tainted blood. The Life is in the blood (Leviticus 17:11). It's the father's blood type that is carried to the child, not the mother's. Mary was simply an instrument used for God's glory and purpose.
hojo

Chanhassen, MN

#511332 Feb 2, 2014
Jesus One True Church has always been Catholic

The term "catholic" simply means "universal," and when employing it in those early days, St. Ignatius of Antioch and St. Polycarp of Smyrna were referring to the Church that was already "everywhere," as distinguished from whatever sects, schisms or splinter groups might have grown up here and there, in opposition to the Catholic Church.

The term was already understood even then to be an especially fitting name because the Catholic Church was Universal and for everyone, not just for adepts, enthusiasts or the specially initiated who might have been attracted to her.

Again, it was already understood that the Church was "catholic" because -- to adopt a modern expression -- she possessed the fullness of the means of salvation. She also was destined to be "universal" in time as well as in space, and it was to her that applied the promise of Christ to Peter and the other apostles that "the powers of death shall not prevail" against her (Mt 16:18).

The Catechism of the Catholic Church in our own day has concisely summed up all the reasons why the name of the Church of Christ has been the Catholic Church: "The Church is catholic," the Catechism teaches, "[because] she proclaims the fullness of the faith. She bears in herself and administers the totality of the means of salvation. She is sent out to all peoples. She speaks to all men. She encompasses all times. She is 'missionary of her very nature'" (no. 868).

So the name became attached to her for good. By the time of the first ecumenical council of the Church, held at Nicaea in Asia Minor in the year 325 A.D., the bishops of that council were legislating quite naturally in the name of the universal body they called in the Council of Nicaea's official documents "the Catholic Church." As most people know, it was that same council which formulated the basic Creed in which the term "catholic" was retained as one of the four marks of the true Church of Christ. And it is the same name which is to be found in all 16 documents of the twenty-first ecumenical council of the Church, Vatican Council II.

It was still back in the fourth century that St. Cyril of Jerusalem aptly wrote, "Inquire not simply where the Lord's house is, for the sects of the profane also make an attempt to call their own dens the houses of the Lord; nor inquire merely where the church is, but where the Catholic Church is. For this is the peculiar name of this Holy Body, the Mother of all, which is the Spouse of Our Lord Jesus Christ" (Catecheses, xviii, 26).

The same inquiry needs to be made in exactly the same way today, for the name of the true Church of Christ has in no way been changed. It was inevitable that the Catechism of the Catholic Church would adopt the same name today that the Church has had throughout the whole of her very long history.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#511333 Feb 2, 2014
Gods R Delusions but Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
100% effective? Really? A little biased maybe?
OK, Jesus was 100% successful in making sure you had a good chance to experience the fullness of faith and amazing salvation.
But what about the other 90% of humanity who did NOT have the same cultural benefits as yourself? Somehow, you are that special?
I wouldn't consider 5-10% a success, yet alone a 100% success.
The only way I can see to that is to assume that one's self counts far more in God's eyes, far more than the vast majority of other humans.
Do you believe you are lucky to be raised in the correct faith, or pre-favored by God?
Ramen
Gods R Delusions

Yes!!! Jesus Christ was 100% successful in doing the Will of God, in which, part of that Will was to offer redemption to humanity by Way of the Cross.

Mission complete!(Most people accept this as a historical fact, but even if they do not, does not alter the metaphysical and real effect on humanity in history.)

Now consider if you are on a secret mission, with total deniability attached, how can you say the mission was completed or not? The effects will not be known due to deniability, except by the one performing that operation.

In the same way, the effects of Jesus' death and resurrection cannot be known, as they are in a sense still coming to fruition. When lets say the "cycle of humanity" is complete upon this earth, then in some ex post facto way, one might be able to look back and say, "This or That" about the effect of Jesus upon humanity....

Let your mind go forward, and forget the insignificant cultural biases we live in. Go down the road a few hundred thousand years, or billion years. Jesus may judge us not by our cultural biases but on things we cannot imagine, let along quantify....

Peace

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#511334 Feb 2, 2014
hojo wrote:
v
&#57358;
&#57357;
[No Subject]
&#57357;
&#57358;
Christ left the adoption of a name for His Church to those whom he commissioned to teach all nations. Christ called the spiritual society He established, "My Church" (Mt. xvi, 18), "the Church" (Mt. xviii, 17).
In order to have a distinction between the Church and the Synagogue and to have a distinguishing name from those embracing Judaic and Gnostic errors we find St. Ignatius (50-107 AD) using the Greek word "Katholicos" (universal) to describe the universality of the Church established by Christ. St. Ignatius was appointed Bishop of Antioch by St. Peter, the Bishop of Rome. It is in his writings that we find the word Catholic used for the first time. St. Augustine, when speaking about the Church of Christ, calls it the Catholic Church 240 times in his writings.
St. Ignatius of Antioch, disciple of the Apostle John, concerning the heretics of his day wrote: "They have abstained from the Eucharist and prayer, because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of Our Savior Jesus Christ."
St. Justin Martyr, another Church Father of the second century wrote: "This food is known among us as the Eucharist... We do not receive these things as common bread and common drink; but as Jesus Christ our Savior, being made flesh by the Word of God."
"Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has life everlasting and I will raise Him up on the last day. For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed" (John 6:54-56) "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?" they argued.(John 6:53) "And whilst they were at supper, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke: and gave to his disciples, and said: Take ye, and eat. THIS IS MY BODY. And taking the chalice, he gave thanks, and gave to them, saying: Drink ye all of this. FOR THIS IS MY BLOOD." (cf. Matt. 26:26-28; Mark 14:22-24; Luke 22:19-20).
In the most unequivocal language the Apostles affirmed that the bread and wine duly consecrated on the altar did in fact become the actual Substance of the Savior. Declared the Apostle Paul: "The chalice of benediction which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? And the bread which we break, is it not the partaking of the body of the Lord?" (1 Cor. 10:16)
....Receive ye the Holy Ghost. Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained." (John 20:19-23). "Amen I say to you, whatsoever you shall bind upon earth, shall be bound also in heaven; and whatsoever you shall loose upon earth, shall be loosed also in heaven." (Matt. 18:18) "Take heed to yourselves, and to the whole flock, wherein the Holy Ghost hath placed you bishops, to rule the church of God ..." (Acts. 20:28) "And when they had ordained to them priests in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, in whom they believed." (Acts 14:22). " He that heareth you, heareth me; and he that despiseth you, despiseth me; and he that despiseth me, despiseth Him that sent me." - Luke 10:16
Catholic Church is the church most united in Christ. The spectacle of one billion Catholics, three-fifths of all professed Christians, perfectly, indomitably united in belief, in organization, and in worship - the historical fact that Catholics, consistently the largest body of Christians in the world, have always been thus perfectly united - was evidence nobody can not ignore. Here is the unity of Bible prophecy - nowhere else on the Christian scene was there a unity nearly so compact, nearly so long-lived. Nowhere else on the Christian scene was there a unity so obviously permanent.v
Wrong
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#511335 Feb 2, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
Apparently Philip Seymour Hoffman has died from a struggle with addiction.
He brilliantly played Father Flynn in the movie "Doubt", a film worth seeing if you haven't.
Oh, wow, I'm sorry to hear that. He said he'd been clean for 23 years before he relapsed last year. He was a memorable Truman Capote, and they say he was a heartbreaking Willy Loman on the stage. May he rest in peace.

Location hidden

#511336 Feb 2, 2014
hojo wrote:
v
&#57358;
&#57357;
[No Subject]
&#57357;
&#57358;
at supper, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke: and gave to his disciples, and said: Take ye, and eat. THIS IS MY BODY. And taking the chalice, he gave thanks, and gave to them, saying: Drink ye all of this. FOR THIS IS MY BLOOD." (cf. Matt. 26:26-28; Mark 14:22-24; Luke 22:19-20).
Edited for space
In the eye of the pig!!!!!
From Scripture.....
Proof of my words...you are a liar....a coward...you will not face the truth by avoiding my questions...
A. Since you say Christ built the one and only true Church...the Catholic Church...whom built these churches??????!!!!
Ac 9:31 Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.
Ac 15:41 And he went through Syria and Cilicia, confirming the churches.
Ac 16:5 And so were the churches established in the faith, and increased in number daily.
B. In Rev Christ refers to seven churches.....none as the one and only true Catholic Church...Since you say Christ built the one and only true Church...the Catholic Church...why
he not do so???
Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write
And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write
And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write
And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write
And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write;
And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write
And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write

Location hidden

#511337 Feb 2, 2014
hojo wrote:
Jesus One True Church has always been Catholic
The term "catholic" simply means "universal," and when employing it in those early days, St. Ignatius of Antioch and St. Polycarp of Smyrna were referring to the Church that was already "everywhere," as distinguished from whatever sects, schisms or splinter groups might have grown up here and there, in opposition to the Catholic Church.
The term was already understood even then to be an especially fitting name because the Catholic Church was Universal and for everyone, not just for adepts, enthusiasts or the specially initiated who might have been attracted to her.
Again, it was already understood that the Church was "catholic" because -- to adopt a modern expression -- she possessed the fullness of the means of salvation. She also was destined to be "universal" in time as well as in space, and it was to her that applied the promise of Christ to Peter and the other apostles that "the powers of death shall not prevail" against her (Mt 16:18).
The Catechism of the Catholic Church in our own day has concisely summed up all the reasons why the name of the Church of Christ has been the Catholic Church: "The Church is catholic," the Catechism teaches, "[because] she proclaims the fullness of the faith. She bears in herself and administers the totality of the means of salvation. She is sent out to all peoples. She speaks to all men. She encompasses all times. She is 'missionary of her very nature'" (no. 868).
So the name became attached to her for good. By the time of the first ecumenical council of the Church, held at Nicaea in Asia Minor in the year 325 A.D., the bishops of that council were legislating quite naturally in the name of the universal body they called in the Council of Nicaea's that the Church has had throughout the whole of her very long history.
edited for space

From Scripture.....
Proof of my words...you are a liar....a coward...you will not face the truth by avoiding my questions...

A. Since you say Christ built the one and only true Church...the Catholic Church...whom built these churches??????!!!!

Ac 9:31 Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.
Ac 16:5 And so were the churches established in the faith, and increased in number daily.

B. In Rev Christ refers to seven churches.....none as the one and only true Catholic Church...Since you say Christ built the one and only true Church...the Catholic Church...why
he not do so???

ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#511338 Feb 2, 2014
hojo wrote:
v
&#57358;
&#57357;
[No Subject]
&#57357;
&#57358;
Right!

Location hidden

#511339 Feb 2, 2014
hojo wrote:
v
&#57358;
&#57357;
[No Subject]
&#57357;
&#57358;
the altar did in fact become the actual Substance of the Savior. Declared the Apostle Paul: "The chalice of benediction which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? And the bread which we break, is it not the partaking of the body of the Lord?" (1 Cor. 10:16)
sec try...edited for space

From Scripture.....

he not do so???

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#511340 Feb 2, 2014
The Church that Christ founded was the UNIVERAL CHURCH (catholic) NOT the CATHOLIC church of today 1054 your church took the name catholic and the orthodox took then name orthodox meaning right faith..before 1054 the two churches were one...One Holy Catholic (universal) and Apostolic ......not your catholic church at the Vatican,not your popes.....FACT

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 1 hr Cultastic 8,643
Bagnasco 'agrees with pope' 5 hr RevKen 2
Filipino Catholics hails new saints (Apr '14) Fri KidlatNgayon 65
Obama a hugely impresseda with Pope Francis (Oct '13) Nov 19 truthseeker7 3
Pope Francis' visit to Palestinian refugee camp... (May '14) Nov 19 truthseeker7 2
Pope's visit will change Philippines, Cardinal ... Nov 18 QUITTNER Nov19 2014 26
Philippines prepares for pope with messages on ... Nov 17 ELIAS IBARRA 8

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE