Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 665120 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#507022 Jan 18, 2014
Gods R Delusions but Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
For a fundie, you sure don't seem to believe much of the Bible other than Genesis.
Is the OT in your Bible? Who doesn't that god want killed?
How about Jesus?
Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: "He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death." (See Ex 21:15, Lev 20:9, Dt 21:18-21)
So, does Jesus think that children who curse their parents should be killed? It sure sounds like it. MATT 15:4-7
There are so many verse even in the NT, about who your emotional, immoral god wants killed. Why do you reject so much in the Bible, except Genesis?
Ramen
I have no emotional, immoral god...only pagans and other non Christians do...I are a Christian...
Gods R Delusions but Mine

Orlando, FL

#507023 Jan 18, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Only pagans and other non Christians have gods....I am a Christian...I have no immoral, uninformed god....
Denial, that's it?

I gave several examples of factual error in the Bible, none of which you could refute. The Bible can not be taken literally. Simply reality makes that so.

You steal the Catholic Holy Book and spin it in an attempt to make it your own.

And you don't even say thank you.

Location hidden

#507024 Jan 18, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Oxbow
Peace
So answer me this first, "Do you believe that God allowed fire and hail to rain down upon Sodom and Gomorrah, killing the people?"
Don't fear physical death, fear the One who can cause eternal spiritual death(just a reminder.).
Peace
Why are you not answering my question?? Quote: Thou shalt not kill..
Do both of you really believe God broke His own Commandment?????

Answer a question with a question game - Cosmoquest
cosmoquest.org/.../showthread.php... ;
Mar 29, 2006 - 30 posts - &#8206;10 authors
You might have seen this on "who's line is it anyway" on TV It is a game where you just answer the last person's question with your own question.

Why are you playing this game????

Orlando, FL

#507025 Jan 18, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Gods R Delusions
Peace
Thanks for the post....
I may be to orthodox to be considered orthodox, or to progressive to be progressive, when it comes to defining myself in relationships to God and religion(humanity).
In a scientific way we measure time chemically in our brain, and sense it. So measuring time by the distance light travels is a difficult thing to comprehend on large and small scales.
That being said, I do believe it possible for a transformation to occur simultaneously in all parts of the universe. Thus the Rapture is quite possible. It is just my opinion, but also I think that God does something once, and only once. That is all that is necessary. Perhaps that is an extreme reductionism, but I think that is what is trying to be described in the Book of Genesis at the time of Creation. It is a single point at which all develops....
As I said, our brains have not evolved, or may not be able to evolve enough to conceive of what is trying to be said in the Bible, or Genesis. It therefore takes faith.
Peace
All stated as opinion, faith and belief. Cool, no argument there.

So I guess we can't count on you to take up serpents.

Really, who knows for sure anyhow?

Location hidden

#507026 Jan 18, 2014
Gods R Delusions but Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
Denial, that's it?
I gave several examples of factual error in the Bible, none of which you could refute. The Bible can not be taken literally. Simply reality makes that so.
You steal the Catholic Holy Book and spin it in an attempt to make it your own.
And you don't even say thank you.
I have no immoral, uninformed god.... the most moronic words I have seen on this forum "Catholic Holy Book"!!!!!!!

Orlando, FL

#507027 Jan 18, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
(1) The apostles and prophets were inspired to preach and write God's Word;
(2) the Bible is inspired and profitable (leaving aside the important question how we even know what the OT and NT canons are);
(3) fulfilled prophecy demonstrates the OT prophets were from God;
(4) Some tradition is mere "traditions of men" and should be rejected (Matt 15:1-9; Col 2:8);
Catholics agree with all (4) of these points. These do not demonstrate "the written Word of God is the only infallible rule of faith for God's people." Nor do they demonstrate the sufficiency or exclusivity of the written word.
My messages in this discussion so far demonstrate the following:
(1) BOTH the written AND the oral teaching of the prophets and apostles were equally authoritative and inspired words from God (1 Thess 2:13; 2 Pet 1:21);
(2) There is no command in the New Testament that the passing on of the tradition of the apostles should cease at some point, nor is there any statement in the NT where the tradition of the apostles is reduced or restricted to writing (2 Thess 2:15; 3:6; 2 Tim 1:13f; 2:2; 1 Cor 11:2,34; etc);
(3) The passing on of the Christian faith was completely oral from Christ to His apostles (Acts 2:42), decades later the New Testament was written down, while it took centuries for the 27-book NT canon to be officially recognized by the Church;
(4) The unanimous position of the early Fathers and the first 1,500 years of Christianity on Baptism, Eucharist, nature of the Church as hierarchical and sacramental, moral teachings and others demonstrates the Catholic Church has interpreted the tradition of the apostles and the Bible correctly on these issues;
(5) Sola Scriptura (Scripture alone) could not even be practiced (in the way you have defined it in your messages) for the first 1,400 years of the Church since Bibles were rare (the printing press had not been invented), the general Christian believers had no access to Bibles and were almost entirely illiterate -- they were taught the Catholic Christian Faith from their priests and bishops;
(6) Further, we cannot know what is "essential Christian doctrine" from the Bible alone given the existence of heretics (past and present) who define their beliefs from the Bible alone. It is impossible to define what is "orthodox Christian" doctrine and impossible to know what is true Christianity from the Bible alone.
http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/debate11.h...
"(3) fulfilled prophecy demonstrates the OT prophets were from God;"

Not according to the ones who wrote the prophecies.

Small little detail.

But its only a delusion anyhow, so details like that are quickly forgotten.

Orlando, FL

#507028 Jan 18, 2014
Note that the Biblical god has a sense of justice that is no more advanced than that of some ancient desert tribes.

Bible god will kill the innocent children of sinners - in a horrible manner no less.

"If even then you remain hostile toward me and refuse to obey, I will inflict you with seven more disasters for your sins. I will release wild animals that will kill your children and destroy your cattle, so your numbers will dwindle and your roads will be deserted.(Leviticus 26:21-22 NLT)"

Why would anyone worship such a maniacal murdering freak?

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#507029 Jan 18, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
As do you.
;O)
You are the one who has heavenly eternal bliss all "mapped out" for your self.

I am the one who wonders if (other than in my illusion) time even exists.

Orlando, FL

#507030 Jan 18, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no immoral, uninformed god.... the most moronic words I have seen on this forum "Catholic Holy Book"!!!!!!!
You stole it from them. Can't your god give you your own?

Seems not.

Quesnel, Canada

#507031 Jan 18, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
As you don't rely on any words in any books that you follow ... you must receive your messages direct from Jehovah.

That's quite a "practice."

:)

Location hidden

#507032 Jan 18, 2014
For those who call God a murderer....for those whose words say they believe God broke His own Commandment "Thou shalt do no murder"....

God is not only the Creator but he is also the Judge of all the earth. All men and nations stand before His judgment bar. The moral law and the Christian ethic judge both sinner and saint. Beyond all human laws, customs, and opinions there is one divine Law which remains absolute and unchanging. Men may break themselves and their civilizations upon that Law but the Law itself stands forever. The judgments of the Almighty are true and everlasting.

The Judge of All the Earth

One of the early stories recorded in the Book of Genesis has some searching words: "Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?" (Genesis 18:25.) It is the story of the projected destruction of Sodom for its sinfulness, and Abraham protests that the Judge of all the earth will surely not slay the righteous with the wicked! Thus in one sentence both the judgment and the mercy of God are suggested. These two motifs are found throughout the Bible, and together they are imbedded in the Christian faith. To take away either is to withdraw from the other something vital and indispensable.

Yet God’s mercy and judgment have not always been held in proper balance. The experienced fact of human sinfulness and the promise of salvation through the unmerited forgiveness of sin have placed much emphasis on divine judgment in traditional Christian thinking. Both the Old and New Testaments refer many times to the wrath of God. The apocalyptic passages in the New Testament also contain a number of statements of which this one at the conclusion of the parable of the weeds is typical: "The Son of man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all evildoers, and throw them into the furnace of fire; there men will weep and gnash their teeth. Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father." (Matthew 13 :41-43.)

Quesnel, Canada

#507033 Jan 18, 2014
Newsflash: Time May Not Exist

But even Krausz works far from the frontier of time. There is a temporal realm called the Planck scale, where even attoseconds drag by like eons. It marks the edge of known physics, a region where distances and intervals are so short that the very concepts of time and space start to break down. Planck time—the smallest unit of time that has any physical meaning—is 10-43 second, less than a trillionth of a trillionth of an attosecond. Beyond that? Tempus incognito. At least for now.

Efforts to understand time below the Planck scale have led to an exceedingly strange juncture in physics. The problem, in brief, is that time may not exist at the most fundamental level of physical reality. If so, then what is time? And why is it so obviously and tyrannically omnipresent in our own experience?“The meaning of time has become terribly problematic in contemporary physics,” says Simon Saunders, a philosopher of physics at the University of Oxford.“The situation is so uncomfortable that by far the best thing to do is declare oneself an agnostic.”

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jun/in-no-ti...
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#507034 Jan 18, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one who has heavenly eternal bliss all "mapped out" for your self.
I am the one who wonders if (other than in my illusion) time even exists.
"mapped out"? Yes, I suppose that's an ok description. I'm certainly not implying that I'm guaranteed to stay on the correct "route" if I don't keep my eyes on the road. My opinion is that you're off track right now, but some thing/one may steer you back on track at some point before you step out of the canoe. Enjoy your life June, don't make it your mission to ruin everybody else's.

Quesnel, Canada

#507035 Jan 18, 2014
Einstein, for one, found solace in his revolutionary sense of time. In March 1955, when his lifelong friend Michele Besso died, he wrote a letter consoling Besso’s family:“Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.”

Rovelli senses another temporal breakthrough just around the corner.“Einstein’s 1905 paper came out and suddenly changed people’s thinking about space-time. We’re again in the middle of something like that,” he says. When the dust settles, time—whatever it may be—could turn out to be even stranger and more illusory than even Einstein could imagine.

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jun/in-no-ti ...

Quesnel, Canada

#507036 Jan 18, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
For those who call God a murderer....for those whose words say they believe God broke His own Commandment "Thou shalt do no murder"....
Men wrote all words in those books that they insinuated were holy references to the MINDS of gods.

For whatever point you are trying to make as a representative of "truth" ... you simply cherry-pick what you believe are USEFUL scriptures.

Two can play that GAME!
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

Any person who curseth his mother or father, must be killed.(Leviticus 20:9)

If a man cheats on his wife, or vise versa, both the man and the woman must die.(Leviticus 20:10).

If a man sleeps with his father's wife... both him and his father's wife is to be put to death.(Leviticus 20:11)

If a man sleeps with his wife and her mother they are all to be burnt to death.(Leviticus 20:14)

If a man or woman has sex with an animal, both human and animal must be killed.(Leviticus 20:15-16).

If a man has sex with a woman on her period, they are both to be "cut off from their people" (Leviticus 20:18)

Psychics, wizards, and so on are to be stoned to death.(Leviticus 20:27)

If a priest's daughter is a whore, she is to be burnt at the stake.(Leviticus 21:9)

People who have flat noses, or is blind or lame, cannot go to an altar of God (Leviticus 21:17-18)

Anyone who curses or blasphemes God, should be stoned to death by the community.(Leviticus 24:14-16)

Quesnel, Canada

#507037 Jan 18, 2014
Why ... other than for egoistical reasons ... would humans want to believe they can prophesy the supposed future???

And when you claim to know the future ... there is no question that you believe you ARE modern-day prophets.

Quesnel, Canada

#507038 Jan 18, 2014
The more the popes praised Catholics as being prime examples of holiness ... the more the Catholics felt compelled to hide their human "activities" from the popes.

It became a child's game of hide the "sin."
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

Guide for Living … Pope Pius XII … Selected Addresses and Letters of His Holiness

Who, then, does not see, in the light of Catholic principles, that perfect chastity and virginity, far from harming the normal unfolding of the nature of man or woman, on the contrary endows it with the highest moral nobility?”
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

From the book “Moments on Maple Avenue … The reality of Abortion, by Louise Kapp Howe, published in 1984 … comes the following

You know, it’s interesting who protests and who doesn’t. Over 90 percent of the women coming to one of our clinics for abortions are Catholic. They don’t necessarily have more of a problem about what they are doing than others. It seems to be more of a matter of individuals, doesn’t it?”

Quesnel, Canada

#507039 Jan 18, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"mapped out"? Yes, I suppose that's an ok description. I'm certainly not implying that I'm guaranteed to stay on the correct "route" if I don't keep my eyes on the road. My opinion is that you're off track right now, but some thing/one may steer you back on track at some point before you step out of the canoe. Enjoy your life June, don't make it your mission to ruin everybody else's.
If I joined you on your track ... would you them believe I was on the RIGHTeous- track???

Quesnel, Canada

#507040 Jan 18, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"mapped out"? Yes, I suppose that's an ok description. I'm certainly not implying that I'm guaranteed to stay on the correct "route" if I don't keep my eyes on the road.
How vain of you ... to believe that you are keeping your eye on the only correct route while others are wandering off the holy path.

YUCK!

You can map anything out in your imagination ... but that might be as far as it goes.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#507041 Jan 18, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If I joined you on your track ... would you them believe I was on the RIGHTeous- track???
Who cares what I would believe?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope Francis's Visit to Turkey Embroiled in Par... (Dec '14) 15 hr Azat 2
News As election nears, Pope Francis warns against f... Thu Communist In A Dress 20
News Region's Catholic bishop welcomes Pope's stance... Wed Cops are degenerates 35
News Franklin Graham rebuts pope on Islam: - This is... Nov 29 narako 2
News Free Presbyterians 'will protest' Pope's visit Nov 29 narako 1
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Nov 29 Married in 10,375
News Pope Francis confers Ratzinger Prizes, pays tri... Nov 29 narako 1
More from around the web