Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 685653 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#504586 Jan 6, 2014
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> Then why don't you study and find out which one is correct, just a thought.
I did - and yours didn't come close as being accurate.

What should I do now?

What are you going to do, now that you know the truth?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#504587 Jan 6, 2014
concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
Is English not your first language as this statement makes no sense please try again.
You are still not on track. French is my first language...English second. But and however, that has nothing to do with the fact that the NT in the KJV is translated from the Kione Greek....and the word "hell" is in Scripture...

You are trying to discuss the meaning of the word "hell" as used in the NT...that is not the thread...however. if you want to discuss that part of the word usage...be my guest..

“Life Force One”

Since: Jul 07

The Spiritual Universe/God

#504588 Jan 6, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
The important thing is that people seek God with a sincere heart and worship Him.
So then why did you give up seeking God with a sincere heart, and fall for the lies of a mythology about a fake "god"?

And BTW - Only demons pretending to be "gods" demand worship.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#504589 Jan 6, 2014
Liam wrote:
Concerned,
I'm sincerely interested in your assertion that the Orthodox labeled us "Roman" Catholic in 1100 AD. I've never heard that until now. If true, I would like to see where you got that info.
Of course, you are the same dude who repeatedly says the Catholic Church murdered 50 million people and we worship statues and we aren't allowed to read the Bible.
Link on the "Roman" title please.
Thanks.
US Government dog tags state "Roman Catholic".

Location hidden

#504590 Jan 6, 2014
Seentheotherside wrote:
<quoted text>
Now while I do not like ANY man made religions, I still detest the dishonesty of ANY "christian" who claims THEY and ONLY THEY, are the real true "christian". The same for any church who makes that false claim.
As it is a historic FACT that the Catholic church is THE Christian church.
So any church, denomination, or person who claims to be THE ONLY real "christian(s)", is a flat out liar. You cannot ignore the 2,000 years of the Catholic church being THE Christian church, and suddenly say, Ta Da, here we are, the REAL CHRISTIANS.
You make yourself a fool and a liar to make that false claim.
Which says, among other things, you have no idea of the correct definition of the word "Christian"...

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#504591 Jan 6, 2014
Gods R Delusions but Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG!
"What better way to serve God, than due so anonymously" - on an anonymous message board? Are you serious?
And is that even a sentence?
How are you serving god here? By attempting to validate your own faith?
More evidence that it's a delusion. You can't make sense of it, no matter how hard you try.
peace, love, and rock & roll.
Gods R Delusions

Indeed the best way to serve God is humbly.

This is by no means my "validation". lol

Delving intellectually into philosophical and theological propositions keeps one's mind reasonably sharp. So being on the forum offers me a means of expression.

Are you not unlike June, and simply desire to shut down religion by not allowing free expression of religious ideas on a forum?(Hmmmm. I wonder) Think about it. Be honest.

“Life Force One”

#504592 Jan 6, 2014
michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the whole story was fictional. There s no reportable history outside the bible that many of these events actually happened.
Born into a belief claiming to be the son of god, a belief that does not believe in sons of god.
....makes no common sense.
On the big picture, you are right.

I was just attempting to point out one of the many thousands of problems with the myth.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#504593 Jan 6, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Citation please.
:o)
FYI - I like pennies and have many of them. I'll be sure to keep one in my shoe just for the ferryman.
But this really doesn't sound correct, considering - "nothing created can enter the kingdom of God."
Tell ya what - you stick around for the ferryman and hold tightly to your penny. I'll scoot on by in the next world without a penny, but with charm.
:o)
New Age Spiritual Leader

Peace

Nice come back....

Keep your pennies for now, but you will pay the piper in the end for his song....

Stay honest.

Peace

“Life Force One”

#504594 Jan 6, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
Your arrogance never ceases and you inflated ego never ends.
http://www.coldwinterknights.net/images/Final...
hojo

Chaska, MN

#504595 Jan 6, 2014
michael wrote:
<quoted text>
......Give me information outside the bible of what you speak? Church historians are all partisan and biased. Right?.........right on!
Go do your "own" homework Michael! I did mine throughout 4 years of University Church History research and bible study, inaddition to 2 years of pre-theological seminary. Try studying TRUE Apostolic Church History (1500 years prior to the Reformation) instead of "spouting off' your own anti-catholic opinions and editorializing everything by quoting a bunch of (modern day)"hack theologians and liberal emanipated nuns and priests who are in the minority --and-----"on their way OUT"!!!!

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#504596 Jan 6, 2014
who="Seentheotherside " <quoted text>
And what proof did you ever demand to see, and receive, that proves beyond any doubt, that your "god" is real, and that he wrote your book of lies?

----------
YOU AIN'T SEEN IT ALL YET....(KayMarie)

Miraculous Healing in Jesus Stuns Israelis
David Lazarus (Jan 6, 2014)
Israeli news stations have been reporting on the miracle and all admit that it is impossible to explain what happened to Therese, other than the power of her faith. Hospital staff and reporters even traveled to Therese's home to look for some other explanation. They tasted the food she eats and checked the water she drinks, but there was no physical explanation. They left contemplating one undeniable, unavoidable and very uncomfortable option—that prayer in Yeshua, the Messiah of Israel, still heals today.
Therese Daoud(Israel)—When Therese Daoud arrived at Tel Aviv's Ichilov Hospital with a huge cancerous tumor, doctors said her only chance of survival would be to amputate the leg. What happened during the following months has left the medical staff and the nation speechless.(Photo: Channel 2/TimesofIsrael.com)
"If someone had told me the story of what happened to Therese, I would have said they are crazy and sent them to a mental hospital," said Professor Yaakov Bickels, head of the Orthopedic-Oncology Department at the hospital. "But I was there. I saw it with my own eyes."
What the professor saw he described as a malignant tumor "the size of an orange." The biopsy showed a sarcoma. "This is one of the most aggressive and terrifying of all cancerous tumors," Bickels explained. "With a tumor developed to this degree, the only treatment we could offer Therese was to amputate her leg."
Therese DaoudOn the day of surgery, after waiting in the hospital for three days, Therese was informed that because of "technical difficulties" the operation must be rescheduled. When she went back for the rescheduled surgery, just as she was about to be wheeled into the operating theater, Therese was told again, "the amputation must be postponed." This time the surgical units were unavailable due to a number of emergency cases. By the time Therese got another date for surgery, her mother had become very sick, and Therese decided to herself postpone the operation.
For most of us, postponing a lifesaving surgery would have been overwhelming. Not for Therese. "Three times the surgery was delayed," she said. "This was a clear sign to me from Heaven that I should not have the surgery." Israeli TV showed images of Therese praying in a church in the north of the country.
"When she told me that she had decided not to have the leg amputated, it was clear to me. She would soon die," contemplated Prof. Bickels. "I was sorry about her decision."
Three months later, a huge smile on her face, Therese walked unaided into Bickels' office. "What happened to you?" he asked. "I prayed," she responded.
Stunned, Bickels immediately sent Therese for an MRI, but the results were undeniable. The killer growth had receded dramatically. "This just does not happen," stammered the professor. "A growth of this kind cannot recede like this."
Doctors and nurses could not believe the results, so they sent for another biopsy. But...there was no cancer. It had completely left her body. "We kept checking her records over and over," said an astonished Bickels. "We just could not accept that the cancer had gone without any treatment."
Israeli news stations have been reporting on the miracle and all admit that it is impossible to explain what happened to Therese, other than the power of her faith.
Hospital staff and reporters even traveled to Therese's home to look for some other explanation. They tasted the food she eats and checked the water she drinks, but there was no physical explanation. They left contemplating one undeniable, unavoidable and very uncomfortable option—that prayer in Yeshua, the Messiah of Israel, still heals today.
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#504597 Jan 6, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a link where the Orthodox first called us "Roman" Catholic? I would be very interested in learning about that.........cut for ........space......?
I am offshore at work so I am limited as I do not have access to my books.

But I can give you a start from wiki

Roman Catholic" and "Western or Latin Catholic"

The Holy See uses the term "Roman Catholic" to refer to the entirety of the Church that is in full communion with it, encompassing both its Eastern and Western elements. For examples of statements by Popes that employ the term "Roman Catholic" in this way, see Papal references below. This is the only meaning given to the term "Roman Catholic" at that official level. However, some do use the term "Roman Catholic" to refer to Western (i.e. Latin) Catholics, excluding Eastern Catholics. An example is the statement in the book When other Christians become Catholic:
"...the individual becomes Eastern Catholic, not Roman Catholic".[31]
Similarly the Catholic Faith Handbook for Youth states that
"...not all Catholics are Roman Catholics and there are other Catholic Churches",
using the term "Roman Catholic" to refer to Western Church members alone.[32] The same distinction is made by some writers belonging to Eastern Catholic Churches.[33][34][35] That this view is not the only one, not alone at the level of the Holy See and in reference books such as John Hardon's Modern Catholic Dictionary, but also at a popular level, is shown by the use of terms such as "Byzantine Roman Catholic" and "Maronite Roman Catholic" as self-identification by individuals or as the name of a church building.[36] Additionally, in other languages, the usage varies significantly.[37][38][39]
Many, even Catholics, are unaware or only dimly aware that the Catholic Church has Western and Eastern branches. This is partly because, outside the Middle East and India, Eastern Catholics are a small fraction of the total number of Catholics.[40]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_ (term)

^ Faulk, Edward (2007). 101 Questions and Answers on Eastern Catholic Churches. New York: Paulist Press,. p. 7. ISBN 978-0-8091-4441-9.

You correct to say Roman Catholic was not used in the English language until the 17th century but the equivalent was used in the Greek long before that.

I am not Orthodox, they to think they are the one true yadda yadda like Rome and you are not of the one true church.

I was raised as a child Lutheran, conformation etc.

As adult and after studying the Bible and Church History I have changed my beliefs to come in to alignment more with Biblical Christianity as best as I can a fallen human.

I consider myself a Bible believing Evangelical Christian.
I believe the Church of Jesus the Christ can be found in many Christian Sects.\
No one sect is the Church.

The Church is of the Spirit it is not a man mad organization.

BTW I call RCC the first protestants in Tongue and Cheek.

The Coptic and Chinese Catholics split of much earlier than the great Schism.

There were literally hundreds of groups that protested Rome before the Reformation but they were simply silenced by the sword of Rome or ignored like the Coptics.

Rome is not to found of history as it shows the RCC is not the one true Church.

Remember a Roman Pope decreed via Papal Bull the Inquistions the torture of non believers created a special branch of Priests to carrry this out and a manual on what forms of torture were allowed. That alone shows RCC is not the ONE.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#504598 Jan 6, 2014
michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe none are right. If one was proven right, we would all belong, but we don't.
Most people, of religious belief were indoctrinated from birth to become what their parents want them to become..........just lime them! Religious belief is more abut family hand me down tradition than the belief itself.
You and June seem to be listening to Richard Dawkins a tad to much. Eighty years ago that may have been true to some degree, but since then we have so much in the way of communications it's not even close to being a possibility any longer. God made sure man has no excuse in not knowing Jesus that the communications highway has no dead end roads. So your analogy is very much flawed and way outdated.

“Life Force One”

#504599 Jan 6, 2014
There are more than five thousand manuscripts of these books. Some were made as early as the second century. No other book of ancient times has as many manuscripts still in existence . The New Testament books were in existence in their present form at the close of the apostolic age.
Wherever you copied that from, it is a lie.

There are none of the original manuscripts, they were all burned.

And the book of lies has been changed thousands of times. So it's another lie to say they are the same in "their present form".

Location hidden

#504600 Jan 6, 2014
Seentheotherside wrote:
<quoted text>
Which has absolutely nothing to do with my post. So here, try again:
"NO!
The bible does NOT use other words for "hell". You are only lied to, that they mean "hell", but they really do not mean "hell".
Don't you ever question their lies?"
My error. I read that to say that the word "hell" was not in Scripture...

Here is my correct response to your post:

Hell: hades, properly, unseen, i.e. "Hades" or the place (state) of departed souls:--grave, hell.

Hell: sh@'owl, Hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranean retreat), including its accessories and inmates:--grave, hell, pit.

Grave: sh@'owl, Hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranean retreat), including its accessories and inmates:--grave, hell, pit.

Pit: sh@'owl, Hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranean retreat), including its accessories and inmates:--grave, hell, pit.

concerned in Brasil

Europe

#504601 Jan 6, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no point about scripture being the final authority. Sola scripture was never taught. Period Besides, scripture couldn't be the final authority by default. The people interpreting it would have to be the final authority. Make sense?
I don't know much about the Bereans, but the Book of Matthew in the first century was 32 feet long. I can't imagine anyone rolling it out everyday to go over the verses. Especially since it had no verses or chapters.
Do you at least agree that the Catholic Church dissected the Bible into chapters and verses or ya going to pretend that's not true too?
Liam

If I asked you to show me where does the Bible use the word Trinity you could not.
You would say it is taught in scripture though would you not. Yes the RCC adheres to the teaching of the Trinity.

A RC would use many scriptures to demonstrate that.

So it is with Scripture being the final Authority.

Jesus used Scripture to rebuke the Pharisees not the teachings of men.
The Apostles always made their arguments from Scripture never tradition.

And where the NT use the word Traditions given to you the tradition in context is using scripture as the final authority

The NT teaches not to go beyond what is written yet the RCC has by leaps and bounds and created novel teachings that literally contradict the Bible.

and so did early church fathers

Tertullian
Because scripture contains the revelation and is part of tradition, it has of course absolute authority...And therefore, if a doctrine or precept is written in the Bible, it cannot be but true, and if a dogma needs to be proved true, it is entirely sufficient to show that it is written. And even more important, scripture is not only sufficient evidence, but strictly necessary evidence for proving the truth of a dogma. Ellen Flesseman–van Leer, Tradition and Scripture in the Early Church (Assen: Van Gorcum, 1953), p. 172

Cyril
Have thou ever in thy mind this seal, which for the present has been lightly touched in my discourse, by way of summary, but shall be stated, should the Lord permit, to the best of my power with the proof from the Scriptures. For concerning the divine and holy mysteries of the Faith, not even a casual statement must be delivered without the Holy Scriptures; nor must we be drawn aside by mere plausibility and artifices of speech. Even to me, who tell thee these things, give not absolute credence, unless thou receive the proof of the things which I announce from the Divine Scriptures. For this salvation which we believe depends not on ingenious reasoning, but on demonstration of the Holy Scriptures

103 Ibid., Catechetical Lectures 4.17.
So for the present listen while I simply say the Creed, and commit it to memory; but at the proper season expect the confirmation out of Holy Scripture of each part of the contents. For the articles of the Faith were not composed as seemed good to men; but the most important points collected out of all the Scripture make up one complete teaching of the Faith…Let us then speak concerning the Holy Ghost nothing but what is written; and whatsoever is not written, let us not busy ourselves about it. The Holy Ghost Himself spoke the Scriptures; He has also spoken concerning Himself as much as He pleased, or as much as we could receive. Let us therefore speak those things which He has said; for whatsoever He has not said, we dare not say…For the things concerning Christ are all put into writing, and nothing is doubtful, for nothing is without a text (Ibid., Catechetical Lectures 5.12; 16.2; 13.8).

“Life Force One”

#504602 Jan 6, 2014
Final part, If the Bible is a Catholic book, why does it nowhere mention the Catholic Church?
Nor does it say anything about a baptist church, or Protestant church, or any of the other 30,000 denominations. So by your standards, they are all false also.

Well, there's something we can agree upon!

“Life Force One”

#504603 Jan 6, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
My error. I read that to say that the word "hell" was not in Scripture...
Here is my correct response to your post:
Hell: hades, properly, unseen, i.e. "Hades" or the place (state) of departed souls:--grave, hell.
Hell: sh@'owl, Hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranean retreat), including its accessories and inmates:--grave, hell, pit.
Grave: sh@'owl, Hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranean retreat), including its accessories and inmates:--grave, hell, pit.
Pit: sh@'owl, Hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranean retreat), including its accessories and inmates:--grave, hell, pit.
Which proves my point, that they only invented this "hell" myth, then replaced other words with hell. But they really mean different things. You've been lied to. Deceived. Why cannot you see that?

Location hidden

#504604 Jan 6, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Seentheotherside " <quoted text>
And what proof did you ever demand to see, and receive, that proves beyond any doubt, that your "god" is real, and that he wrote your book of lies?
----------
YOU AIN'T SEEN IT ALL YET....(KayMarie)
Miraculous Healing in Jesus Stuns Israelis
David Lazarus (Jan 6, 2014)
Israeli news stations have been reporting on the miracle and all admit that it is impossible to explain what happened to Therese, other than the power of her faith. Hospital staff and reporters even traveled to Therese's home to look for some other explanation. They tasted the food she eats and checked the water she drinks, but there was no physical explanation. They left contemplating one undeniable, unavoidable and very uncomfortable option—that prayer in Yeshua, the Messiah of Israel, still heals today.
Therese Daoud(Israel)—When Therese Daoud arrived at Tel Aviv's Ichilov Hospital with a huge cancerous tumor, doctors said her only chance of survival would be to amputate the leg. What happened during the following months has left the medical staff and the nation speechless.(Photo: Channel 2/TimesofIsrael.com)
"If someone had told me the story of what happened to Therese, I would have said they are crazy and sent them to a mental hospital," said Professor Yaakov Bickels, head of the Orthopedic-Oncology Department at the hospital. "But I was there. I saw it with my own eyes."
What the professor saw he described as a malignant tumor "the size of an orange." The biopsy showed a sarcoma. "This is one of the most aggressive and terrifying of all cancerous tumors," Bickels explained. "With a tumor developed to this degree, the only treatment we could offer Therese was to amputate her leg."
Therese DaoudOn the day of surgery, after waiting in the hospital for three days, Therese was informed that because of "technical difficulties" the operation must be rescheduled. When she went back for the rescheduled surgery, just as she was about to be wheeled into the operating theater, Therese was told again, "the amputation must be postponed." This time the surgical units were unavailable due to a number of emergency cases. By the time Therese got another date for surgery, her mother had become very sick, and Therese decided to herself postpone the operation.
For most of us, postponing a lifesaving surgery would have been overwhelming. Not for Therese. "Three times the surgery was delayed," she said. "This was a clear sign to me from Heaven that I should not have the surgery." Israeli TV showed images of Therese praying in a church in the north of the country.
"When she told me that she had decided not to have the leg amputated, it was clear to me. She would soon die," contemplated Prof. Bickels. "I was sorry about her decision."
Three months later, a huge smile on her face, Therese walked unaided into Bickels' office. "What happened to you?" he asked. "I prayed," she responded.
Stunned, Bickels immediately sent Therese for an MRI, but the results were undeniable. The killer growth had receded dramatically. "This just does not happen," stammered the professor. "A growth of this kind cannot recede like this."
Doctors and nurses could not believe the results, so they sent for another biopsy. But...there was no cancer. It had completely left her body. "We kept checking her records over and over," said an astonished Bickels. "We just could not accept that the cancer had gone without any treatment."
We tend to use the word miracle out of text way to much. What you witnessed was a body being able to fight off the disease in question, which is an amazing feat in and of itself, but as far as a bonafide miracle it's not, because miracles ceased when the last Apostle died. When a person can bring another person that has been dead for several days like Jesus did with his friend Lazarus, then you have a miracle.

Location hidden

#504605 Jan 6, 2014
We tend to use the word miracle out of text way to much. What you witnessed was a body being able to fight off the disease in question, which is an amazing feat in and of itself, but as far as a bonafide miracle it's not, because miracles ceased when the last Apostle died. When a person can bring another person that has been dead for several days like Jesus did with his friend Lazarus, then you have a miracle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Aug 16 Married in 10,583
News Boston cardinal, Jewish leaders have Holocaust ... (Feb '09) Aug 12 Jeremy 24
News Evangelical Trump supporters want meeting with ... Aug 9 Ms Sassy 1
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Aug 8 -Prince Of Darkness- 84,840
News Pope 'loves China', Vatican official says on tr... Aug 8 Harold 2
News Pope Francis accepts resignation of Boston Auxi... Jul 29 Anti- 2
News 'That's all he wanted': Spicer, a devout Cathol... Jul 25 misleading troller 2
More from around the web