Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 685540 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Williams Lake, Canada

#503660 Jan 2, 2014
From the book … The Invasion Within … The Contest of Cultures in Colonial North America by James Axtell.

Once the arrangements were made and canoes left the French quays, the missionaries quickly slipped into conditions guaranteed to “cast down a heart not well under subjection.” While the Indians paddled nonstop from dawn to dusk, the priest crouched like a useless monkey among the baggage, his long robes tucked around his bare legs and feet, his head dipping to avoid the brain-rattling thump of a paddle as the sternman stood to negotiate obstacles and rapids. All day long, in every kind of weather, the passenger hunkered in cramped, perpetual silence, afraid to offend his sweaty hosts with obnoxious small talk or linguistic enquiries. If they took a dislike to him for any reason—and “a word, or a dream, or a fancy” was sufficient—they could jettison his precious altar kit or books,“borrow” his broad-brimmed felt hat and cloak, or abandon him altogether. An acquiescent, cheerful demeanor in all situations was the best policy.
June VanDerMark

Williams Lake, Canada

#503661 Jan 2, 2014
From the book … The Invasion Within … The Contest of Cultures in Colonial North America by James Axtell.

He would also be invited to relieve himself in the wooden bowls that doubled as drinking cups; standing in a canoe was universally frowned upon.
June VanDerMark

Williams Lake, Canada

#503662 Jan 2, 2014

If the priest did not quickly learn two important lessons, his future invariably took a turn for the worse. One lesson was that the Indians put a high premium on first impressions. As Father Brebuef warned newcomers headed for Huronia,“the Indians will retain the same opinion of you in their own country that they formed on the way; and one who has passed for an irritable troublesome person will have considerable difficulty afterwards in removing that opinion.” Only a cheerful face could prove that the passenger “gaily” endured the fatigues of the trip. The second lesson was consistency:“Do not undertake anything unless you desire to continue it,” advised Brebeuf.“do not lend them your garments, unless you are willing to surrender them during the whole journey,“but above all,“do not begin to paddle unless you are inclined to continue paddling.” Painful blisters, aching muscles, and native disdain were the amateur canoeman’s sole reward, as Claude Allouez discovered enroute to the western Great Lakes in 1665. Obliged by the Indians to paddle as an “honorable employment” of a “great Captain, he felt more like a “malefactor sentenced to the Galleys.” For his inept pains he earned only the contempt and jibes of his sinewy partners, who registered their “slight esteem” by purloining most of his loose clothing and his blanket.”
June VanDerMark

Williams Lake, Canada

#503663 Jan 2, 2014
The priests had to learn the meaning of humility, because there WAS no other choice.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

The Indians of course had the strength of “mules” and could carry more than their own weight using tumplines across their foreheads; they expected nothing less from the French. If missionaries could “go naked” and carry the load of a horse,” Brebeuf promised, the natives would recognize them as “wise” and “great” men. Otherwise not, as poor Father Allouez learned. When his knees buckled under the loads he was given, his companions laughed and threatened to call an Indian child to carry him and his burden.”
June VanDerMark

Williams Lake, Canada

#503664 Jan 2, 2014
I suggest that most priests of today haven't a clue of the hardships endured by those priests that suffered untold miseries.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

Nightfall brought little relief, for sleep came with difficulty on a bed of bare earth and a pillow of stone or wood. Huddled beside his equally odoriferous guides under a canoe or a makeshift lean-to, the missionary confronted the fiercest enemy of all—the hordes of biting insects that are still synonymous with the northern woods. Lacking the half-protection of the Indians’ animal-grease repellent or a choking smudge fire, the religious offered up their tender white flesh to insatiable legions of black flies, gnats, mosquitoes and no-see-ums. Only boots, gloves, and headnets could have kept the insects at bay, and none were to be had. So every morning the priests found themselves covered with blood; sometimes their eyes were swollen shut.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#503665 Jan 2, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Merry Christmas NASL.
Same to you - in fact....

Merry Hannahkwanzmas to all!!

I'd throw in Happy Boxing Day,but just can't seem to fit it in!

Best regards!
June VanDerMark

Williams Lake, Canada

#503666 Jan 2, 2014
Meanwhile ... back in the vatican, with body guards and servants to meet his every earthly comfort, the pope gave orders to his missionary-slaves of what was expected of them by "GOD."

Religion is bunk!

Albuquerque, NM

#503667 Jan 2, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
As did the Catholics, did you also create Jesus in your own Gnostic-image???
So far according to devout believers ... Jesus first supported Judaism, then he changed his mind and supported Catholicism ... then he changed his mind again to support Gnosticism ... and then he changed his mind again to support Protestantism.
There is no question that through history, the "immaterial"-Jesus BELIEVES whatever the devout believers dictate is based on truth ... all within their own imaginations.
I'm not sure on why you don't accept my perception, but so be it. Believe as you may.

One last time for you....

I haven't created any type of Jesus. He was already created by others. My interpretation of him is much different than yours. I base my conclusion of whom Jesus was based upon the writings that exist. THere is no clear indication that nay of his acts ever occurred, nor is there concrete evidence that he ever existed.

I believe he did exist and taught a philosophy that is much different that what has been intentionally conveyed today.

Cheers and have a happy new year.

Albuquerque, NM

#503668 Jan 2, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
New Age Spiritual Leader
Peace
I hope you had a Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year.
If one's hope only resides in oneself. And one is an admitted sinner. Then in the end, there is only death and destruction because there is no perfection.
Now perfection may be acknowledged, sought after, and praised. But this alone produces only in knowing, obedience, and seeking.
So merely connecting with Jesus' teachings is not enough to avert death and destruction.
Peace
I never said it was.

Many divert death daily. Without the need of Jesus.

But do remember - we all die - so the diversion is only temporarily given.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#503669 Jan 2, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure on why you don't accept my perception, but so be it. Believe as you may.
One last time for you....
I haven't created any type of Jesus. He was already created by others. My interpretation of him is much different than yours. I base my conclusion of whom Jesus was based upon the writings that exist. THere is no clear indication that nay of his acts ever occurred, nor is there concrete evidence that he ever existed.
I believe he did exist and taught a philosophy that is much different that what has been intentionally conveyed today.
Cheers and have a happy new year.
Best wishes for the new year NASL!
Honorable Grasshopper

Upper Darby, PA

#503670 Jan 2, 2014
The Roman catholic church IS the true church!
They are the ones who canonized the NT.

Any other churches are heretic.
michael

Canada

#503671 Jan 2, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Oxbow is "down"? Trust me, he'll keep doing what he's doing regardless of me showing him to be a phony. One of the many things I do wrong is replying to you and his posts.
All I ask was for you to not pile on, but that is your forte. I guess you just can't help it.

Happy new year!

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#503672 Jan 2, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Although your play-time with your fairy tales no doubt thrill you, I suggest they are still fairy tales.
June

Suggest as you like. The Storyteller tells his tale. The Laborer and Artist has his tools and works.

But there are some who would steal the story, and the tools and the works....

You are not one of them, I know.
Gods R Delusions but Mine

Orlando, FL

#503673 Jan 2, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Oxbow is "down"? Trust me, he'll keep doing what he's doing regardless of me showing him to be a phony. One of the many things I do wrong is replying to you and his posts.
Great inward reflection, but you still hit the "post comment" button.

Just show them some proof and the debate will be over.

Ramen

June VanDerMark

Williams Lake, Canada

#503674 Jan 2, 2014
Honorable Grasshopper wrote:
They did canonize the anti-Semitic new testament ... and they did burn countless innocent humans at the stake as heretics.

And the church-fathers that wrote the doctrines, were in turn proud of their self-perceived "accomplishments!"

Location hidden

#503675 Jan 2, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you are locked into your arrogance, while believing that your arrogance IS humility.
Admitting not knowing the answers is as close as humans can come to being humble.
June

And how often do I need to repeat to you that I do not know answers. But I will try to understand. If that is a crime to you, then put me in jail....

The issue of arrogance I relate to as vainglory. Although arrogance sounds large, it is really quite small, but its bigger relative is pride. Vainglory, like the sun shines everywhere, whether one is rich or poor, and into every occupation of spirit, soul, and body. It waits and works on and on, like the single little ant seeking bigger rewards....

To say one is rid of vainglory while still living is a self-deception. The ants wait for the picnickers and picnic....

Orlando, FL

#503676 Jan 2, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
Meanwhile ... back in the vatican, with body guards and servants to meet his every earthly comfort, the pope gave orders to his missionary-slaves of what was expected of them by "GOD."
Religion is bunk!
All religion is bunk except mine.

Orlando, FL

#503677 Jan 2, 2014
Honorable Grasshopper wrote:
Nope, mine is.

Ramen
StarC

Hayward, CA

#503678 Jan 2, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a phony article. But of course, like most fundies you think everything you find on the Internet is God's truth.
Well thief, not only are you a thief and a cheater, you're also a chump. No wonder you never cite your sources.
http://www.ynaija.com/read-did-pope-francis-r...
Regarding Ox, I had to report him b/c on one of his post he changed if to read my name. He got off with a warning . So yes he is a thief and liar. I'll never post to him again. He is one to be ignored.
Now he is exposed. What a jerk.

Happy New Year, Anthony

Location hidden

#503679 Jan 2, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said it was.
Many divert death daily. Without the need of Jesus.
But do remember - we all die - so the diversion is only temporarily given.
New Age Spiritual Leader

Peace

Far be it from me to place words in your mouth, or pennies on your eyes.

The journey on this world is short indeed. And the ferryman will let you wonder endlessly without his penny....

Peace

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Wed Married in 10,583
News Boston cardinal, Jewish leaders have Holocaust ... (Feb '09) Aug 12 Jeremy 24
News Evangelical Trump supporters want meeting with ... Aug 9 Ms Sassy 1
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Aug 8 -Prince Of Darkness- 84,840
News Pope 'loves China', Vatican official says on tr... Aug 8 Harold 2
News Pope Francis accepts resignation of Boston Auxi... Jul 29 Anti- 2
News 'That's all he wanted': Spicer, a devout Cathol... Jul 25 misleading troller 2
More from around the web