Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 646732 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#503122 Dec 30, 2013
Religious preachers ALL claim to have migrated to the holy side of the creator's view-finder ... leaving all the EVIL to others. And that blatant arrogance takes the cake.

I am also an ego-feeder ... but not to the extent of those in religion.

Prince George, Canada

#503123 Dec 30, 2013
I suggest that religious preachers are comparable to suckers that feed in the bottoms of lakes.

"God is speaking through ME" ... say the individual preachers ... as they keep sucking in mythical baffle-gas of ancient theologians ... and spewing the nonsense out at others as being based on truth.

What a "quaint" bottom-feeding pastime!

Prince George, Canada

#503124 Dec 30, 2013
I suggest that this idiot was the king of loud-mouthed bottom-feeders.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

The popular television evangelist reverend Jerry Falwell, who supported President Bush, made the following statement (verbatim)…“But you got to kill the terrorists before the killing stops and I’m for the President … chase them all over the world, if it takes ten years, blow them away, in the name of the Lord.”
Jumper The Wise

Morgantown, KY

#503125 Dec 30, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Within the theology, if Jesus did NOT convert to Catholicism ... Christianity does not exist as it is based on nothing.
It's as simple as THAT!
So when you said poor people should go cold and hungery at Christmas time you really ment nothing by it yourself huh.

Prince George, Canada

#503126 Dec 30, 2013
I suggest that Christians never once thought of how frightened the Muslims were at being over-run by Christian proselytizers, when flocks of Christians moved in to Iraq after the American invasion???

The devout Christians probably took it as a signal that the god was one their side and that it was time again to INSTRUCT the Muslims that their religion was evil and Christianity was HOLY.

As the religious wars once again pick up speed ... history has taught those in religion NOTHING other than to keep on killing each other over who the "god" favors as being worthy of eternal bliss.

Prince George, Canada

#503127 Dec 30, 2013
Jumper The Wise wrote:
<quoted text>So when you said poor people should go cold and hungery at Christmas time you really ment nothing by it yourself huh.
Stop fibbing Jumper ... or (superstition dictates that) your nose is going to grow.

Prince George, Canada

#503128 Dec 30, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not a criticism, but a conclusion on observing your posts.
If it's not a praise ... then it follows that your "conclusion" IS a criticism.

You can't stop double-talking ... even when you try.

Prince George, Canada

#503129 Dec 30, 2013
This was the teaching of the early Catholic church fathers, that stated in no uncertain terms that Jesus brought truth to the earth through Catholicism, and that those that practiced Judaism would NOT be saved.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

Ignatius Bishop of Antioch (98-117A.D.)– Epistle to the Magnesians

For if we are still practicing Judaism, we admit that we have not received God’s favor…it is wrong to talk about Jesus Christ and live like Jews. For Christianity did not believe in Judaism, but Judaism in Christianity.

Prince George, Canada

#503130 Dec 30, 2013
There were Jews that stayed faithful to Judaism, and there were Christians that vilified Judaism. There was NO in-between. Believers had to choose one or the other.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

L. Michael White: Professor of Classics and Director of the Religious Studies Program University of Texas at Austin

At what point did Christians start thinking of themselves as separate from Judaism?

The preacher of Antioch and later of Constantinople, John Chrysostom, complains in a series of eight sermons to his congregation, that "you must stop going to the Synagogue, you must not think that the Synagogue is a holier place than our churches are." This clearly indicates that the break between Judaism and Christianity, even as late as the 4th century ... still is not absolute, is not permanent.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows ...

Prince George, Canada

#503131 Dec 30, 2013
The Catholic church-fathers used the term for the those that preached Judaism, as suffering from "Judaizer's DISEASE!"

Nice "play" HUH?

All his life (within the theological tales) Jesus taught Judaism ... so the Catholics must have believed that Jesus had also suffered from Judaizer's disease, until he chose to be baptized into Catholicism by SAINT John ... who by the way in the old testament hundreds of years earlier within Catholic theology, was also a Jew.

What a racket ... pun intended.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#503132 Dec 30, 2013
OldJG wrote:
If you are considering Roman Catholicism, consider this first.
September 9, 2010
“If anyone comes and tells me they’re the church and I know that they’re not teaching the same thing as the church of 2000 years ago then I know it’s false.”(Dr. Sungenis)
The above quote is the philosophy of Catholic apologist Dr. Robert Sungenis who made this comment during a debate with Evangelical apologist, Matt Slick this past July.
Apparently Dr. Sungenis never applied his philosophy to his own beliefs, because if he did he would find his own church to be false. This is because none of the “oral [T]raditions” of the Catholic Church that Catholics are required to believe were known in the ancient church nearly 2000 years ago. And what are Catholics required to believe? Dr. Sungenis answers that for us:
“Any oral teaching inspired by the Holy Spirit to the apostles is our Oral Tradition that we must be obedient to.”(ibid)
So for anyone that might be considering joining the Catholic faith, here is a non-comprehensive list of doctrines Catholics are required to believe that did not exist in the apostolic and Ante-Nicene church; doctrines that according to Dr. Sungenis, were received by the apostles from the Holy Spirit and passed down to the church by oral tradition.
The Immaculate Conception
The assumption of Mary
Transubstantiation
Confessing sins to priests
Holy days of obligation
And the requirement to believe that the Roman bishop is infallible in regards to his proclamations concerning faith and morals.
I would love to hear from Catholics on this, especially apologists. Is Dr. Sungenis wrong, or is the Catholic Church teaching false doctrine?
<quoted text>
The Bible IS one book. It is one book written by 40 authors by divine inspiration. It was God who inspired the writers and it was God who decided which books would make up His word to us. The Bible is one continuous love letter to us.
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible didn't become "one book" until all those other books were added and binded together. Still, its a collection of letters, epistles, poems, prophecies, and memoirs. Yes God inspired the writers but He didn't write it for them. Its written by fallible men who used language and culture from their own time period. Its still Gods word, but it took an earthly authority to declare that. An infallible earthly authority.
You approach the Bible like its a diety itself. That's called idolatry. And God does not like other gods put before Him.
Are you so foolish to think God trusted His word to "fallible man?" The writers wrote exactly what God would have them write. Nothing more and nothing less. His words on paper delivered to us.

Cly, you are far too Biblically ignorant to further discuss anything spiritual. There was not nor will there ever be an infallible earthly authority other than the "word" of God. Never no never. Therefore, the Bible is not a deity nor is it my diety. The Bible is not my idol.

God holds His word above His name.

Prince George, Canada

#503133 Dec 30, 2013
Origen of Alexandria (185-254 A.D.)– A ecclesiastical writer and teacher who contributed to the early formation of Christian doctrines.

We may thus assert in utter confidence that the Jews will not return to their earlier situation, for they have committed the most abominable of crimes, in forming this conspiracy against the Savior of the human race

Prince George, Canada

#503134 Dec 30, 2013
Those ex-Jew Catholics were intent on vilifying the Jews ... period. That was their "sole" aim!
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

John Chrysostom (344-407 A.D.)– One of the "greatest" of church fathers; known as "The Golden Mouthed." A missionary preacher famous for his sermons and addresses.

The synagogue is worse than a brothel…it is the den of scoundrels and the repair of wild beasts…the temple of demons devoted to idolatrous cults…the refuge of brigands and dabauchees, and the cavern of devils. It is a criminal assembly of Jews…a place of meeting for the assassins of Christ… a house worse than a drinking shop…a den of thieves, a house of ill fame, a dwelling of iniquity, the refuge of devils, a gulf and a abyss of perdition."…"I would say the same things about their souls… As for me, I hate the synagogue…I hate the Jews for the same reason.
Michael

Canada

#503135 Dec 30, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Christians plagiarized everything in their religion from other religions, with the twist of a word here and there to make their new religion seem credible.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>
The Origin of the Christian Fish Symbol
The fish was also established in the Middle East with the goddess of Ephesus who covered her genital region with a fish amulet. There is also a tale of the fish that swallowed the penis of Osiris.
In India, the Goddess Kali was called the fish-eyed one. The fish symbol has been identified with reincarnation and the life force. There was one group in India that believed that a fish held the soul of a deceased person. As part of fertility, the fish is eaten in order to reincarnate the soul in a newborn child.
Celts and other European pagan cultures link the fish to fertility, sexuality, and birth. The fish symbol, long before Christianity, was known as the Great Mother. Fish deities and shrines have been found all over the region.
In the ancient world, there are many other symbolisms found for the fish. In China, the symbol of the fish stands for the Great Mother Kwan-yin. In Egypt, Isis was called the Great Fish of the Abyss. In Scandinavia, Freya, the Great Goddess was honored by the eating of fish. The 6th day of the week was called Friday after her. In the Mediterranean, mysterious religions used fish, wine, and bread for their sacramental meal. In Greece, the word delphos meant womb and fish.
The early Christian church adopted this symbol.
http://voices.yahoo.com/the-origin-christian -...
....ancient cultures around the Mediterranean shared standard ideas about Gods and their powers and place in the universe, and Christianity simply adopted those ideas, and applied them to Jesus. Christianity was a product of its time and place.

.....Heaven, hell, prophecy, demon possession, sacrifice, initiation by baptism, communion with God through a holy meal, the Holy Spirit, monotheism, immortality of the soul, and many other "Christian" ideas all belonged to earlier, older Pagan faiths. They were simply part of ancient Mediterranean culture. Along with miracle working sons of God, born of a mortal woman, they were common elements of pre-Christian Pagan religion.

...... Mithras had 'em. So did Dionysus, Attis, Osiris, and Orpheus. And more. and they had them long before Jesus (yeshua) came along.

......they fear to ever question, and play along, no matter what parallels are shown.

Prince George, Canada

#503136 Dec 30, 2013
If the church-fathers could convince others that the Jews had killed "Jesus" ... they could convince them that GOD wanted the Jews put to death.

But the messy part of the equation was that there was only one god in the Abrahamic religion and his name was Ehohim, or Jehovah, or Yahweh. And that would have to mean that the god approved of Catholicism ... NOT Judaism.

What a TRICKY situation it became ... when first the church fathers tried to DECEIVE!
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#503137 Dec 30, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes the passage is very clear, but people have drawn the "Wrong conclusions from it"!!
There was No Eyewitness amongst the Disciple of Jesus who had Witnessed either the Crucifixion of Jesus or his resurrection.
What they knew was from hear say. So when they saw "Jesus alive in their midst" they were Terrified and thought that they were seeing a Ghost.
Thereupon Jesus told them that he was no spirit or Ghost but a living person, having flesh and bones and he ate honeycomb and fish to prove that he was a living man.
That PROVES that neither Jesus died on the Cross, nor was their any Resurrection!!
The language is so simple and so straightforward, yet the Church (under the influence of Paul) is preaching things which are exactly opposite to what took place.!!
What actually happened on that faithful day? Allah knows Best!!
MUQ said, quote, "There was No Eyewitness amongst the Disciple of Jesus who had Witnessed either the Crucifixion of Jesus or his resurrection." End quote.

Really? You better check with allah again. LOL LOL LOL

1. John 19:25-27, "25 but standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. 26 When Jesus saw his mother and THE DISCIPLE WHOM HE LOVED standing nearby, he said to his mother,“Woman, behold, your son!” 27 Then he said to the disciple,“Behold, your mother!” And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home."

2. John 20:1-10, Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb. 2 So she ran and WENT TO SIMON PETER AND THE OTHER DISCIPLE, THE ONE JESUS LOVED, and said to them,“They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid him.” 3 So Peter went out with the other disciple, and they were going toward the tomb. 4 Both of them were running together, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. 5 And stooping to look in, he saw the linen cloths lying there, but he did not go in. 6 Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb. He saw the linen cloths lying there, 7 and the face cloth, which had been on Jesus' head, not lying with the linen cloths but folded up in a place by itself. 8 Then the other disciple, who had reached the tomb first, also went in, and he saw and believed; 9 for as yet they did not understand the Scripture, that he must rise from the dead. 10 Then the disciples went back to their homes."

1. John was standing with Mary at the crucifixion of Jesus.

2. We know the stone from the tomb of Jesus was rolled away. Was the stone rolled away so Jesus could get out? Oh NO! The stone from tomb of Jesus was rolled away so THEY, Peter and John, could get in. They were an eye witness to an empty tomb.
Jumper The Wise

Morgantown, KY

#503138 Dec 30, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop fibbing Jumper ... or (superstition dictates that) your nose is going to grow.
You said it! You said people who need help to stay warm and feed their kids on Christmas should depend on 'positive energy' if they wanted to survive! And that is cold hearted.

Prince George, Canada

#503139 Dec 30, 2013
Common sense should tell you that the king of the Jews would not become a Catholic, even if he was threatened with death. He would have died on the cross claiming that Judaism was his mission on earth AND in the hereafter.

That is WHY the Jews didn't buy the story told by the Catholics. They had FAITH that a real Jewish messiah would come to earth to correct wayward Jews and teach them how to be faithful to Judaism.

I believe that religion is all bunk ... but for years I had to study the theologies as though I could see through the eyes of the theologians, to in turn comprehend their right-fighting webs of lies that they all claimed were based on nothing but the truth.

Prince George, Canada

#503140 Dec 30, 2013
OldJG wrote:
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes the passage is very clear,
In order to be understood from the right-fighting motives of the theologians, it should be as clear as mud!

Prince George, Canada

#503141 Dec 30, 2013
Jumper The Wise wrote:
<quoted text>You said it! You said people who need help to stay warm and feed their kids on Christmas should depend on 'positive energy' if they wanted to survive! And that is cold hearted.
You completely took my words out of context.

By sending positive thoughts directly to them, it motivates people with such thoughts to in turn take actions to help them.

To pray to a god to do the work, means to expect that a god will motivate OTHERS to take action.

I don't pray to a god to help victims of tragedy. When possible, I give money, or in the past when I was younger, I tried to give help by becoming physically involved in helping people in need.

Now do you GET my meaning???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope says Church should ask forgiveness from ga... 2 hr sharona 5
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 20 hr Mr Sir 10,166
News Nation-Now 57 mins ago 10:35 a.m.Pope Francis s... Mon Rev Cash Dollar 1
News John Paul II College of Davao (Dec '07) Jun 20 tine 673
News Milwaukee Rising: Looking for the city's most u... Jun 20 Tom 2
News Pope names new papal nuncio to the United States Jun 1 Michael 7
News Pope's zero tolerance for pedophiles faces test... (Mar '15) May '16 Gods r Delusions ... 4
More from around the web