Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 688650 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#502005 Dec 23, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Robert F was at one time a Protestant. He pretends that he a jolly good fellow, on par with Santa Claus. But then we all know that Santa Claus can withhold gifts from those he perceives are bad.
If Robert F believed that Protestants were saved, he would have had no "reason" to become Catholic.... NONE! So that means that Robert (in his heart of hearts) is certain that GOD will withhold salvation from Protestants and HONOR Catholics WITH salvation.
Your Catholic favoritism is plain to see Robert ... for those who WANT to see!
June

Sorry to upset your applecart again. I went to a Baptist Church 3 times last week.

I have no problem with any Christians. Though some may have a problem with my beliefs. I still don't hold that against them. I just don't think all people practice their religion, and give lip service instead, be they Catholic or Protestant....
Michael

Terrace Bay, Canada

#502006 Dec 23, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
If an all-knowing creator created Adam and Eve ... knowing what a mess would occur as dumb and cruel humans multiplied comparable to rabbits ... and the creator KNEW that the humans would use their religious jargon to promote brutality against other humans ... the creator deserves to be shot through its invisible head.
Religion is BUNK!!!
For those that believe this dribble,

Not only did Adam and Eve follow and carry out instructions from a talking snake, so do all the christians who believe the story. Can your snake talk?

The adam and eve story was predestined for them to fail, otherwise what would be the purpose for a Jesus? RIGHT?

December 23, HAPPY FESTIVUS!!
Michael

Terrace Bay, Canada

#502007 Dec 23, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
June
Sorry to upset your applecart again. I went to a Baptist Church 3 times last week.
I have no problem with any Christians. Though some may have a problem with my beliefs. I still don't hold that against them. I just don't think all people practice their religion, and give lip service instead, be they Catholic or Protestant....
Robert F says........ Though some may have a problem with my beliefs.

Michael says..........AND its all MOSTLY because by chance they were born and bred into a different set of beliefs than you. Isn't that crazy?

Being a member of any particular religious belief by the most part you are just a product of what your parents wanted you to become..........just like them.

Michael

Terrace Bay, Canada

#502008 Dec 23, 2013
From St Paul Minnesnowda.

,,,In addition to the work of Jeff Anderson and victim advocacy groups, media reports of the past few months have suggested that the cover-up lasted decades and went all the way to the top. Archbishop John Nienstedt stepped aside last week amid a new allegation -- that he himself touched a boy's butt in 2009. Nienstedt denies it

Same old same old, systematically played out all around the world.

....If you can't trust the messengers how the hell can you trust their message?

UNBELIEVABLE!

“Happy 2016!!”

Since: Apr 08

Saint Teresa Pray 4 Us.

#502009 Dec 23, 2013
4th Sunday of advent - homily

1. DISTRESS – The text of the Gospel says, This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about. When his mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, but before they lived together, she was found with child through the Holy Spirit. Joseph her husband, since he was a righteous man, yet unwilling to expose her to shame, decided to divorce her quietly.

The Marriage is off – When we read in this text that Mary was found to be with child before Joseph and she were together, we need to understand how devastating and dangerous this situation is. The pregnancy prior to marriage brought forth a real crisis for both families involved in Joseph and Mary’s marriage plans. Quite simply, it put all plans for the marriage permanently off.

Why is this? We read in the text above that Joseph was “a righteous man.” To our ears this sounds akin to saying he “was a good man.” Most of the Fathers of the Church interpret “righteous” here to refer generally to his gracious character and virtue. And we surely suppose all this of him. More recent biblical scholarship also includes the notion that to say he was “a righteous man” also means that he was “an observer of the Law.” He would thus do what the law prescribed. And this explains his decision to divorce Mary on account of her apparent lack of virginity prior to the marriage. Here is an example of the Mosaic Law in reference to such a matter:

But if the tokens of virginity were not found in the young woman, then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father’s house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones, because she has wrought folly in Israel by playing the harlot in her father’s house; so you shall purge the evil from the midst of you.(Deut 22:20-21)

This of course is quite extreme to modern ears, but we can see too how far we have come in making light of promiscuity compared to ancient times. No one would argue that such a thing be done today, and rightly so. However this was the landscape that the Law provided Joseph.

Continue here
blog.adw.org/2013/12/crisis-at-christmas-a-ho...

Merry Christmas!!
Liam

Chicago, IL

#502010 Dec 23, 2013
Michael wrote:
From St Paul Minnesnowda.
,,,In addition to the work of Jeff Anderson and victim advocacy groups, media reports of the past few months have suggested that the cover-up lasted decades and went all the way to the top. Archbishop John Nienstedt stepped aside last week amid a new allegation -- that he himself touched a boy's butt in 2009. Nienstedt denies it
Same old same old, systematically played out all around the world.
....If you can't trust the messengers how the hell can you trust their message?
UNBELIEVABLE!
Not that you really care.... But Neinstedt didn't do anything wrong. He'll be cleared and the alleged victim won't get his money. The media won't run a headline indicating that he was cleared. There will be no apology from the accusers. The Bishop will forever be tarnished.

Mpls- saint Paul has had one, ONE case in 14 yrs. Can you believe that; will yet believe that? How many has your local Canadian school district had??
You have an agenda Michael, and you only using the subject of child sexual abuse to aid your agenda.
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#502011 Dec 23, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
June
I doubt that you ever tell the truth.

And my point that you want to ignore, is, that if you believed Protestants were saved, you wouldn't have felt a NEED to become a Catholic.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#502012 Dec 23, 2013
StarC wrote:
4th Sunday of advent - homily
1. DISTRESS – The text of the Gospel says, This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about. When his mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, but before they lived together, she was found with child through the Holy Spirit. Joseph her husband, since he was a righteous man, yet unwilling to expose her to shame, decided to divorce her quietly.
The Marriage is off – When we read in this text that Mary was found to be with child before Joseph and she were together, we need to understand how devastating and dangerous this situation is. The pregnancy prior to marriage brought forth a real crisis for both families involved in Joseph and Mary’s marriage plans. Quite simply, it put all plans for the marriage permanently off.
Why is this? We read in the text above that Joseph was “a righteous man.” To our ears this sounds akin to saying he “was a good man.” Most of the Fathers of the Church interpret “righteous” here to refer generally to his gracious character and virtue. And we surely suppose all this of him. More recent biblical scholarship also includes the notion that to say he was “a righteous man” also means that he was “an observer of the Law.” He would thus do what the law prescribed. And this explains his decision to divorce Mary on account of her apparent lack of virginity prior to the marriage. Here is an example of the Mosaic Law in reference to such a matter:
But if the tokens of virginity were not found in the young woman, then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father’s house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones, because she has wrought folly in Israel by playing the harlot in her father’s house; so you shall purge the evil from the midst of you.(Deut 22:20-21)
This of course is quite extreme to modern ears, but we can see too how far we have come in making light of promiscuity compared to ancient times. No one would argue that such a thing be done today, and rightly so. However this was the landscape that the Law provided Joseph.
Continue here
blog.adw.org/2013/12/crisis-at-christmas-a-ho...
Merry Christmas!!
I will ask all Christians this question, even though I don't count on receiving a straight "yes" or "no" answer.

Within a theological framework ... if you believed that "Jesus" supported Judaism as the only religion on earth aligned to God's truth ... would you still perceive "him" as being your savior???
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#502013 Dec 23, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Not that you really care.... But Neinstedt didn't do anything wrong. He'll be cleared and the alleged victim won't get his money. The media won't run a headline indicating that he was cleared. There will be no apology from the accusers. The Bishop will forever be tarnished.
Mpls- saint Paul has had one, ONE case in 14 yrs. Can you believe that; will yet believe that? How many has your local Canadian school district had??
You have an agenda Michael, and you only using the subject of child sexual abuse to aid your agenda.
Do you believe that Protestants, Muslims and Jews will be saved if they don't first convert to Catholicism?
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#502014 Dec 23, 2013
I suggest that both Catholics and Protestants believe that the ONLY reason Jesus is saved, is because he was wise enough to leave Judaism to in turn start a new religion.

Silly people!
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#502015 Dec 23, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Can your snake talk?
If I tell it to talk, it better, or I won't write it into my theologies that are certain to be based on the ONLY truth in the universe.

:)
Liam

Chicago, IL

#502016 Dec 23, 2013
OldJG wrote:
I looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and could not find any reference of these items in the B I B L E. I did find them in many pagan religions. These are Roman...not Christian. Thank you. OldJG
1. Rosary beads
2. Sacrifice of the mass
3. Genuflecting
4. Holy water
5. Masses for the dead
6. Sign of the cross
7. Cardinal
8. Last rights
9. Limbo
10. Pope
11. Mandatory celibacy of church leadership
12. Purgatory
13. Nun
14. Holy eucharist (the venerated 'host')
15. Seven sacraments needed for salvation
16. Monk
17. Transubstantiation (bread turns into Jesus)
18. Mortal sins
19. Crucifix
20. Clergy dressing differently than the laity (the average church member)
21. Venial sins
22. Stations of the cross
23. Christening (baptizing infants as a way of imparting the Holy Spirit into them)
24. Indulgences
Well yet you need to keep looking. You're missing it.

One thing you won't find in the Bible is instructions to go by the Bible alone or a list of Biblical books to include. The Church came before the Bible..
Prayer beads were used in the 2nd century because the laity couldn't read and follow along when Monks read the 150 Psalms every morning. So they came up with a system where they'd quietly say the Lords Prayer while the Monks read each Psalm. The beads helped them count.
Again, this was BEFORE Christians had an actual canon of books for a Bible. So it doesn't make sense that you demand it has to be in the Bible.

Location hidden

#502017 Dec 23, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what the Catholics taught you about John and his "golden tongue" and that's all that matters to YOUR royal self-perceived Catholic HIGHNESS!!!
I have other opinions of dear John concerning his anti-Semitic RANTS.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>
Words of John Chrysostom ... Catholic anti-Semite.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>
Although such beasts are unfit for work, they are fit for killing. And this is what happened to the Jews: while they were making themselves unfit for work, they grew fit for slaughter. This is why Christ said: "But as for these my enemies, who did not want me to be king over them, bring them here and slay them".
June

Actually "the" Catholics taught me nothing about John Chrysostom. What I know, which is next to nothing about him, I read about on my own....

If at some time in the future, I would find it profitable to delve into John's writings, I would do so. But for now, I have a rather full schedule, even overwhelming, with things to read and study.

What I would do, though is read about what he said, and figure out why he said them, rather than cherry-picking some writings.

And no, I have not read all Catholic writings, nor do I think anyone ever has done so....

Location hidden

#502018 Dec 23, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If you believe that Protestants will be in heaven with you, why did you find it "necessary" to leave Protestantism to become Catholic.
You lying shyster!
June

If a person is headed in one direction, and there are two roads to get there, it is at times more expedient to take one or the other road.

You can sit and debate all you want, turn around and go back, and never get anywhere.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#502019 Dec 23, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
June
That is why I said the territory of Israel, which had been a kingdom and province. Countries are a modern invention. But be that as it may, a new covenant was made between God and humanity, and Jews were invited first. They declined, but some did accept the invitation.
Those lies stem from your church fathers, and you are more than content to stay dumbed-down by your Catholic indoctrination.

Had Jesus lived, and been a true leader of the Jews, he would have said "Come on men, and I will teach you how to be FAITHFUL Jews to pure, unadulterated Judaism. I am King of the Jews, so follow me, and I will lead you on the only true pathway to home and to our father Elohim, who resides in now and forever more in Olam Haba."

Location hidden

#502020 Dec 23, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
This will be more pleasing to your emotions Robert. Swallow it whole and feed your brain-cells yet more lies, if that is your desire.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >
Catholic Encyclopedia
(Chrysostomos, "golden-mouthed" so called on account of his eloquence). see email from B. Thayer (subject is "typos) dated August 2003 -->
Doctor of the Church, born at Antioch, c. 347; died at Commana in Pontus, 14 September, 407.
John — whose surname "Chrysostom" occurs for the first time in the "Constitution" of Pope Vigilius (cf. P.L., LX, 217) in the year 553 — is generally considered the most prominent doctor of the Greek Church and the greatest preacher ever heard in a Christian pulpit. His natural gifts, as well as exterior circumstances, helped him to become what he was.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08452b.htm
June

New Advent is a good RCC resource. How did you find it?

And how many of John Chrysostom's writings have you read? I can honestly say I have read none of them. So you must know more....
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#502021 Dec 23, 2013
Christians that are honest with selves, will see that they were taught nothing but anti-Semitic lies.

The Catholics BRAGGED that Jesus the Jew was wise enough to turn against his own Jews. According to the popes, Jesus worked 24/7 in Catholic confessionals, forgiving Catholic sins, while the Catholics were at the same time, imprisoning, torturing and slaughtering the Jews.

Those that don't want to see ... will choose to not see.

Location hidden

#502022 Dec 23, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
I suggest that when Robert F was a Protestant, he willingly entertained the notion that Catholics would end up in hell. But now that he is a Catholic, he willingly entertains the idea that Protestants will end up in hell.
Martin Luther pulled the same stunt. When he was a Catholic, he was certain that the Jews and the Muslims and those of all other religions would end up in hell.
But when he started his new anti-Catholic and anti-all other religions, Martin was certain that he and his newly-wed ex-nun-wife would be the only CLASS allowed to be rewarded with eternal bliss.
So it went, and so it goes.
June

Off the Mark

While being indoctrinated in the Protestant world, I was fortunate in not having anything against RCs being fed to me. However, I did fear walking into a RCC.(smiles)

And, I don't entertain any idea that Protestants will end up in hell now.

Can you use your imagination for something more beneficial, than unsubstantiated opinion? Even speculation would be an improvement.

Location hidden

#502023 Dec 23, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Robert F says........ Though some may have a problem with my beliefs.
Michael says..........AND its all MOSTLY because by chance they were born and bred into a different set of beliefs than you. Isn't that crazy?
Being a member of any particular religious belief by the most part you are just a product of what your parents wanted you to become..........just like them.
Michael

Peace

That's a pretty negative assessment for individual human beings, but a good one for a computer.

I can't however say that you are entirely wrong, but in generalizing such a belief, it gives no room for anyone to grow and learn. I just don't think you believe that?
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#502024 Dec 23, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
June
New Advent is a good RCC resource. How did you find it?
And how many of John Chrysostom's writings have you read? I can honestly say I have read none of them. So you must know more....
You are SUCH a liar.

You claimed a while back to another Catholic that you enjoyed the writings of John Chrysostom.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Oct 11 Married in 10,646
News Pope Francis Denounces Gender Confirmation Surg... Oct 9 TerriB1 1
News Paul Is No Inventor of Christianity, Says Pope (Sep '08) Oct 2 The Bible Student 81
News Boston cardinal, Jewish leaders have Holocaust ... (Feb '09) Sep 19 Tom Fontaine 42
News Catholic clergy fires back after Bannon criticism Sep '17 South Knox Hombre 1
News Evangelical Trump supporters want meeting with ... Aug '17 Ms Sassy 1
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Aug '17 -Prince Of Darkness- 84,837
More from around the web