Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 650613 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Williams Lake, Canada

#499379 Dec 12, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
God will be mine and everyone elses
According to your dogma ... ONLY if everyone converts to Catholicism.

Otherwise they are doomed to spend eternity in Catholic hell.

Even Protestants that do believe in Jesus, are doomed by Catholics to Catholic hell and vice versa. Protestants believe that Catholics will spend eternity in Protestant hell.

Religion is fool's "paradise."

Williams Lake, Canada

#499380 Dec 12, 2013
I meant to write "Religion is a fool's paradise."

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#499381 Dec 12, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
I suggest it can be dangerous to self to claim to know truth.
Many people in religion have ended their physical lives in the belief on one hand that god is merciful and will forgive them of suicide. And on the other, that god is cruel and will reject them for committing suicide.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>
The third case is the much-publicized one of Elizabeth and Henry Pitney Van Dusen. Dr. VanDusen, age 77, was the former president of New York’s Union Theological Seminary and a distinguished Presbyterian minister. He and his wife, Elizabeth, age 80, discussed suicide with their friends and then signed a pact before taking an overdose of sleeping pills. She wrote:
We have both had very full and satisfying lives.... But since Pitney had his stroke five years ago, we have not been able to do any of the things we want to do ... and my arthritis is much worse. There are also many helpless old people who without modern medicinal care would have died, and we feel God would have allowed them to die when their time had come. Nowadays it is difficult to die. We feel that this way we are taking will become more usual and acceptable as the years pass. We are both increasingly weak and unwell, and who would want to die in a nursing home?... "O Lamb of God that takest away the sins of the world, grant us thy peace."
The Van Dusens realized that some nursing homes are virtual tombs where the elderly are buried alive. They asked for God’s forgiveness in advance for any wrong they might be committing by their decision to leave this life before they needlessly suffered even more. Although they did not say so, they were probably also disturbed by the thought of the loneliness that would follow if one survived the other.
http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.as ...
By not having the faith they should have after all of these years they should of been able to fight off the devil because they would've had the armor, or wisdom of God to help them in this time in their lives, but they allowed the devil to take hold and caused them to sin. I do not feel these people were truly Christians to start with. It's not to say that suicide can't cause a person Christian or not to go over the fence is always possible, God will be the judge when it comes to Christians that do this, as not all acts of suicide are acts that can't be forgiven.

Williams Lake, Canada

#499382 Dec 12, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> If I know I'm preaching the truth,
You have created a "concept" of truth in your mentality that you are convinced is absolute truth.

That is your where your folly LIES.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

con·cept

noun

noun: concept; plural noun: concepts

an abstract idea; a general notion.

https://www.google.ca/#q=concept+definition&a...

Williams Lake, Canada

#499383 Dec 12, 2013
< God will be the judge when it comes to Christians that do this, as not all acts of suicide are acts that can't be forgiven.
You are a blathering fool that plays into your own folly.

Williams Lake, Canada

#499384 Dec 12, 2013
Eons of time before Jesus and Christianity were even words in the mentalities of humans, preachers in other religions were preaching that they knew absolute truth.

I suggest that we are never too old to learn ... but we are often too stubborn to learn.
Gods R Delusions but Mine

Orlando, FL

#499385 Dec 12, 2013
<quoted text> If I know I'm preaching the truth, then why would I change what I'm doing? I know the truth and why don't you? Millions of people agree with what I preach, why don't you?
It's called "faith," not fact.

You don't "know" anything. You have faith, you hope, you wish, but in the end, there is no more proof of your delusion than there is for any other god in human history.

Get over it. People who claim to "know" what god wants are dangerous and immoral. Consider, many of the worse tyrants in history "knew" what god wanted.

Hint: no god worth its salt would ever want its own creation murdered and tortured. That concept makes no sense whatsoever. Yet you embrace a god who has supposedly destroyed millions, driven by petty human emotions like anger and jealousy.

Sick concept - a jealous creator!!! What would the most powerful being in the universe be jealous of anyhow?

Ummm?

Williams Lake, Canada

#499386 Dec 12, 2013
People invariably use their religion to decide whether the gods will reward or condemn human behavior.

I don't judge human behavior as being cut and dried, holy or evil, as I believe that attitude is simply comparable to shooting off blanks.

There are many variables in the lives of humans and judging them as bad or evil is a fool's way of making assessments.

If I believed that others were evil, I would believe I had to own the same label.

But People in religion always grab at the HOLY stuff for their selves and push the evil stuff at others.

Religion is BUNK!
Human Being

Kinder, LA

#499387 Dec 12, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
It's confusing, isn't it Robert?
According to Catholicism AND Protestantism ... Jesus doesn't accept those of other religions into his elite "circle."
Yet Catholics believe Protestants will go to hell, and Protestants believe Catholics will go to hell.
The poster with the avatar "Working for the lord" believes that HE and JESUS know the truth and all people belonging to RELIGION are not wise, as is HE and JESUS to whom his mentality is "aligned."
June

It is the fallacy of oversimplification....

Occam's Razor has its limits in simplification.

Most of us try to simplify answers, but when it goes beyond what is necessary, then one sacrifices the truth for fallacy, and usually personal bias.

I will ask "Working for the Lord" some questions, to see what limits reason takes him/her....( I know you love doing the same.)smiles....

Williams Lake, Canada

#499388 Dec 12, 2013
Mother Teresa preached that abortion was evil. But then Mother never had to watch her own children starve to death.

The babies she watched starve to death in her care were simply objects of her emotion, as she used the money meant to feed them (from her own words) to build more convents for nuns to in turn become saints in the service of GOD.

I don't believe for so doing, that Mother Teresa was EVIL, but I do believe that from my perspective that the money should gone to feed the starving babies.

Williams Lake, Canada

#499389 Dec 12, 2013
Gods R Delusions but Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
Concerning religion, one places faith in his/her own "concept" of truth.

Been there ... done that.
Human Being

Kinder, LA

#499390 Dec 12, 2013
<quoted text> That's correct, as it's the only church spoken of in the bible as the church that worships in spirit and in truth. Jesus built one church, meaning one church that is set up the way God has commanded it to be set up and a way to take of the Lord's supper the way God commands. If your church doesn't meet these requirements than your church is a man made church. The Church of Christ was established in the year 33 AD on the day of Pentecost in which 3,000 souls were added to the Church of Christ. Baptism is essential to one's salvation, and singing is what God has commanded in worship, no instruments. Ephesians 5;19, Colossians 3;16, Romans 16;16, Mark 16;16,Acts 2;37-40 The reason for singing only is God wants to hear only his creation, not instruments that were made by man. God wants to hear the purest form of praise that can be achieved and that could only come from singing without instruments. The bible tells us how to do everything he wants us to do to please him and worship him, and that's the way we're to do it, no other way will do as it would be a sin.
Working for the Lord

Peace

You are definitely hard-core, according to your writings here. Sometimes people go overboard in describing their beliefs, or mis-communicate their beliefs, and people then start jumping down their throats to show them the "error" of their ways.

If you are comfortable within the confines of the definitions and use of the scriptures for support, then I am happy for you.

Most of the people on here, of course have a different understanding of their faith(in some cases their doubts). So I have found that it is best not to condemn others, especially using scriptures, and my understanding of scriptures. A lot of people take offense, and consider it in a somewhat malicious intent. So just be careful, and not judge others is my advice....

As for me, making a joyful noise unto the Lord(Psalm 100)includes singing, but in all things one may find God as the Source of one's joy, and this can be expressed in many ways. Singing is one art-form, language another, painting, sculpture, architecture, film. I think God accepts all forms, since he is the Creator of those forms. And human beings created in His Image, may also use them.

The danger lies when one worship the Creation(even one's own understanding of scriptures), which becomes idolatry....

Peace
Human Being

Kinder, LA

#499391 Dec 12, 2013
Gods R Delusions but Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't "know" anything. You have faith, you hope, you wish, but in the end, there is no more proof of your delusion than there is for any other god in human history.
Get over it. People who claim to "know" what god wants are dangerous and immoral. Consider, many of the worse tyrants in history "knew" what god wanted.
Hint: no god worth its salt would ever want its own creation murdered and tortured. That concept makes no sense whatsoever. Yet you embrace a god who has supposedly destroyed millions, driven by petty human emotions like anger and jealousy.
Sick concept - a jealous creator!!! What would the most powerful being in the universe be jealous of anyhow?
Ummm?
Gods are a Delusion

Perhaps a bit to simple for me....

Faith must be accompanied by a dispassionate(objective) reason, in order for one's worship and progress toward a "better" state of being to be pursued.

When one has faith, and their own understanding(even if taught by others), then the deviation from the Truth begins, and usually ends up in the ditch.

I find that people have good intentions, when they use scripture, but it is often from a springboard of self-justification.

Peace
Human Being

Kinder, LA

#499392 Dec 12, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Concerning religion, one places faith in his/her own "concept" of truth.
Been there ... done that.
June

I think most religious people have done what you state. But it takes time to learn and experience that doing so is basic idolatry....

It is a problem to contend with one's own biases....

Since: Jan 12

Memphis, TN

#499393 Dec 12, 2013
<quoted text> I apologize if I didn't answer your question as I always try to answer everyone's question, if I may ask you to repeat it I will make sure it get's answered.
Accepted, here it is; God doesn't have one favorite group in particular!! Quit giving @June ammo as she shoots down this whole religion thing!! It is revealed in scriptures that God favors ANY soul (no matter what U claim to belong to) that obeys His laws that were just so happen to be passed down through the Hebrew people. And these are pretty much the same basic laws that govern the very land we live on as far as morality. And it's not just the way we live but it's also our INTENT that is judged. So one is not "favored" just because they belong to a particukar practice, just as long as basic principles of living decent lives and recognizing the higher authority that made our lives possible is acknowledge and not denied like some of these folks do. And another thing, U spoke of the Old Testament as if it was a time period or something...hmmm!...anyway if God doesn't intervene anymore then that means that prayers can't POSSIBLY be answered and blessings from God really don't come and that voice that U think is God speaking to U is really your own thoughts and the miracles that we say happen today really aren't from God...I mean, U stated that God doesn't intervene anymore and that we have the Bible to give us our own direction...that means that God sits back and allows us to handle anything that comes our way on our own, with our own intelligence, and therefore TOTAL free-will applies, right?!?

Since: Jan 12

Memphis, TN

#499394 Dec 12, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that I don't see the scriptures like you do. You are not even a Christian, how can you stand on the outside and tell me what our scriptures are saying?
We are not to worship false idols. These can come in various forms: People, statues, money, power, BOOKS. Many people (in my opinion) replace God with the Bible. Observe this forum for one day and its obvious. The fanatics approach sacred scripture as if the scripture itself is God or a god. That's idolatry. Muslims are no different with the Koran.
U say we aren't to worship false idols...how could U feel comfortable within a practice that accepts idol worship and tells U that it is what God intended when U understand that it goes against the will of Him?! I used to call myself a Christian until I realized that grouping up only separates Rod's people from the true way of practice, as revealed in scriptures...and don't assume that just because a person isn't Christian or Catholic that they have never understood what the Bible teaches!! Even the atheists in this forum know more about your Bible than U...and that's a FACT especially when viewing your past exchanges on this thread. If U can't see that your practice is inconsistent with traditional practices, then it is U who have no idea what the Word states!! At least I'm aware of the distinction between God and Jesus as revealed in scriptures. U still believe that they are the same which alerts anyone who is familiar with the Word (even atheists) that U really don't know much about the history of your practice!! U can't blame anyone for simply trying to point this out to U!!

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#499395 Dec 12, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Working for the Lord
Peace
You are definitely hard-core, according to your writings here. Sometimes people go overboard in describing their beliefs, or mis-communicate their beliefs, and people then start jumping down their throats to show them the "error" of their ways.
If you are comfortable within the confines of the definitions and use of the scriptures for support, then I am happy for you.
Most of the people on here, of course have a different understanding of their faith(in some cases their doubts). So I have found that it is best not to condemn others, especially using scriptures, and my understanding of scriptures. A lot of people take offense, and consider it in a somewhat malicious intent. So just be careful, and not judge others is my advice....
As for me, making a joyful noise unto the Lord(Psalm 100)includes singing, but in all things one may find God as the Source of one's joy, and this can be expressed in many ways. Singing is one art-form, language another, painting, sculpture, architecture, film. I think God accepts all forms, since he is the Creator of those forms. And human beings created in His Image, may also use them.
The danger lies when one worship the Creation(even one's own understanding of scriptures), which becomes idolatry....
Peace
God certainly wants,our voices,..though mine is,so bad I sing quietly ..Lol
But God gave us,the gifts,of Music ..And,some great talent ..I am sure,He lives,the CreTuveness of His,Creation in praising HIM..And the,sounds,of love from.our instruments,..
Didn't David play for Saul ..And the,Lord,..He,was a,msn after God's,heart ....why would God not appreciate it ..

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#499396 Dec 12, 2013
<quoted text> If I know I'm preaching the truth, then why would I change what I'm doing? I know the truth and why don't you? Millions of people agree with what I preach, why don't you?
Wasn't David well loved of God and a,man after His,heart ..he used an instrument when playing his,Psalms,and songs???for Saul And in praise
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#499397 Dec 12, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Working for the Lord
Peace
Peace
Robert,

If an act of worship --is done without scriptural approval,-- it is done without faith...

For faith comes by hearing the Word of God.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#499398 Dec 12, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
God certainly wants,our voices,..though mine is,so bad I sing quietly ..Lol
But God gave us,the gifts,of Music ..And,some great talent ..I am sure,He lives,the CreTuveness of His,Creation in praising HIM..And the,sounds,of love from.our instruments,..
Didn't David play for Saul ..And the,Lord,..He,was a,msn after God's,heart ....why would God not appreciate it ..
Singing....God wants everything to come from our heart.

When God specifies His wishes, things not commanded are automatically excluded.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope Francis: 'Trump is not Christian' Jul 24 make Donald Drump... 47
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Jul 20 I Jus Wanna Live ... 10,173
News Holding the left responsible (Sep '15) Jul 20 Crusader 4
News The 'Obamification' of Pope Francis (Sep '15) Jul 16 odG nDmdea yoHl r... 100
News Turkey disappointed with Pope's Armenian 'genoc... (Apr '15) Jul 14 Hasan Sasirmaz 32
News Pope says Church should ask forgiveness from ga... Jul 9 South Knox Hombre 10
News Christian Europe Jul 9 bluestreak returns 27
More from around the web