Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 596271 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#498920 Dec 10, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Fromm catholic topics about infant baptism:
More detail is given in Luke’s account of this event, which reads: "Now they were bringing even infants to him that he might touch them; and when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them to him, saying,‘Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of God’" (Luke 18:15–16).
**Couple things Tony. Baptism is never mention in this passage and there is no indication the children who came to Jesus in the passage were not baptized.
So why do you folks use this verse to support infant baptism?
This verse isn't necessary to support the necessity of being born again of water and the Spirit in baptism.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#498921 Dec 10, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith and baptism. Jesus said you have to have both. Catholics who are baptized and reject the faith later in life (Mike comes to mind), will be condemned. So, you're kind of right in that what you call "getting wet" didn't save them.
"will be condemned."

How doyou know this? Please post your citation.

I think you are misinformed, if you can determine who will be saved and who will be condemned.

Unless - you are "God". Which I highly doubt.
Liam

United States

#498922 Dec 10, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.(INFANTS CAN'T DO THIS CLAY AND PARENTS CAN'T DO IT FOR YOU)
2 Thess 2:13 But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the firstfruits to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.(INFANTS CAN'T DO THIS CLAY AND PARENTS CAN'T DO IT FOR THEM)
**Catholics can baptize infants all they want but all they're doing is getting wet.
This is difficult talking with fundamental Christians because your approach to sacred scripture is completely opposite to us. Your idea of what Baptism is or should be is also different.
I've said this to you before: all these debates need to begin with sola scripture and nothing else.

Try this one
"Why do you not worship Bel? He answered,'Because I do not revere man-made idols, but the living God who created Heaven and earth and has dominion over all flesh"
Daniel 14:5

The truth as to why Daniel 13 & 14 were torn from your Bible will vindicate the Catholic faith. You can't be sola scripture without all the scripture. Where's the list of scripture the Lord gave us?
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#498923 Dec 10, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
This will help you...it's from a former evangelical.
http://www.catholic.com/magazine/articles/bap...
A catholic website...yeah I'll open it right up Tony. thanks

Albuquerque, NM

#498924 Dec 10, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course Catholics need God's Word. St. Peter says "baptism now saves you".
Okay - no qualifiers here.

You said - "faith and baptism" saves.

But Peter only says baptism.

Hmmm....I'm thinking you have included qualifiers that only you think are valid.

Is it just baptism or faith and baptism?
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#498925 Dec 10, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...is this Clay or Tony. How did that answer my question.
Ok ...I'll play along.
So when you were baptized, you received salvation and then at confirmation you confirmed your faith?
This is the problem, you think salvation happens at a one time event and you can never loose it. No Christian ever believed that before protestantism was spawned.

Albuquerque, NM

#498926 Dec 10, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith AND baptism. Jesus said it.
Where does He say in what order they have to be? Why are others baptized on the expression of faith of the head of the household? Why do all of the earliest Christians immediately following the completion of the bible think completely different about baptism than you?
It is good that you are asking questions.....

Since: Sep 09

Fraser Lake, Canada

#498927 Dec 10, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
...and could have been an Essene.
http://www.lifeway.com/lwc/files/lwcF_CRD_BI_...
John started out in the old testament as a Jew and ended up hundreds of years later in the Catholic new testament as Saint John the Baptist. If he detoured into being an Essene on his long journey, that would mean the Gnostic theologians also had their go at his image.

Religion is a tricky business, as theologians were and are manipulating-tricksters at shape-shifting words to suit their own meanings.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#498928 Dec 10, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
This verse isn't necessary to support the necessity of being born again of water and the Spirit in baptism.
But in fact catholics use the verse ..why?
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#498929 Dec 10, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the problem Tony. I can tell you when I repented and accepted Christ by faith and when I was baptized.
Other than someone telling you, your baptism certificate, and your baptism cup you have absolutely NO PROOF whatsoever that you were baptized....NONE. Why???? because you were 3 months old.
I can tell you that I've been repenting and accepting Christ by faith as far back as I can remember, 4 or 5 years old. My faith has grown as I have grown. I've also been baptized.

If you think the one time you did that is all it takes to get to heaven, I feel very sorry for you.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#498930 Dec 10, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
"I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess."
- The Man Prayer
Maybe you will feel more emotionally satiated if you become a Muslim.

It wouldn't work for me, as SELF dictates that I must remain an Atheist.

But then what does self know about TRUTH??? I suggest ... NOTHING, as self doesn't even know if truth is fact or illusion.

:)
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#498931 Dec 10, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
A catholic website...yeah I'll open it right up Tony. thanks
Don't be scared. It won't hurt.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#498932 Dec 10, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the problem, you think salvation happens at a one time event and you can never loose it. No Christian ever believed that before protestantism was spawned.
did salvation start for you when you were three months old at baptism...if it did how without faith in Christ?
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#498933 Dec 10, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
But in fact catholics use the verse ..why?
Ask them. Jesus is very clear that being born again in baptism is necessary for salvation without needing to cite that verse.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#498934 Dec 10, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't understand the relationship between Judaism and Catholicism. Catholicism came from Judaism, it's the end result, the fulfillment of it.
You are old fashioned. Islam came after Catholicism and Protestantism came after Islam and Wicca came after Protestantism and I suggest those in religion aren't even close to being finished telling stories.

And by the way, I understand that there WAS NO relationship between Judaism and Catholicism as the ex-Jew Catholics vilified their Jewish heritage and cut all ties with it. You refuse to recognize that issue as you spend too much time listening to your Catholic theologians telling you that salvation is ONLY for Catholics and hell is for others.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#498935 Dec 10, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith and baptism. Jesus said you have to have both. Catholics who are baptized and reject the faith later in life (Mike comes to mind), will be condemned.
Do you honestly believe that someone who preached of unconditional love would also preach that condemnation (for believing something different than you believe) could be "aligned" TO any semblance of love or compassion, or mercy or kindness?

Are you THAT eager to be fooled by words from theologians?
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#498936 Dec 10, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I can tell you that I've been repenting and accepting Christ by faith as far back as I can remember, 4 or 5 years old. My faith has grown as I have grown. I've also been baptized.
If you think the one time you did that is all it takes to get to heaven, I feel very sorry for you.
Very nice....but you can't prove you were ever baptized. If you can't prove you were baptized how do you know you received salvation?

Fraser Lake, Canada

#498937 Dec 10, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus is very clear
Every Christian theologian shape-shifted his theological image of Jesus the Jew to fit his own theological rhetoric. And you, as a theologian are committing the same atrocity.

You are manipulating words to suit your own agenda.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#498938 Dec 10, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>Your hatred is showing.
"Joy to the world", I love everyone........except criminals.

.....I am sure deep down inside you don't like criminals either but you are afraid to say so.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#498939 Dec 10, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask them. Jesus is very clear that being born again in baptism is necessary for salvation without needing to cite that verse.
lol...ask them..

so is catholic answers right or wrong when they use Luke 18:15 to support infant baptism???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 17 hr Married in 9,533
News James Inhofe to Pope Francis: Shut up with your... Jun 30 2all 42
News Milwaukee Art Museum's embrace of condom portra... Jun 29 The Anti- Islamist 1
News Pope's Leaked Encyclical on Climate Change Has ... Jun 26 Buybull Mullahs 6
News Global warming deniers unimpressed with pope's ... Jun 26 Earthling-1 118
News Pope urges revolution to save Earth, fix 'perve... Jun 25 Sterkfontein Swar... 30
News Delamaide: Pope joins bank critics Jun 23 Eleanor 1
More from around the web