Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 665622 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Michael

Terrace Bay, Canada

#497222 Dec 4, 2013
Catholic Girl wrote:
Pope have is own TV sitcom. That would be wonderful. Just like Cardnial Sheen did in the 60's. or was he the 50's?
Great idea...
I believe it was every Tuesday night at 9:00 PM Bishop Sheen would speak about the catholic church with those watching his tv show. I remember my parents nodding their heads up and down everytime he said something they liked. Everything he said they liked. He was the bishop, he could do no wrong.

Move ahead 40-50 years and we now know that throughout the world many catholic bishops had lied and deceived their followers by hiding away sexually abusive priests, allowing many of them to abuse again and again..........thats not good!

The credability of the roman catholic church leaders back in the 50s and 60s was very high. Today not so good. No one to blame but themselves.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#497223 Dec 4, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would an all loving God create a place so bad that it scares people into being good?
Just another religious tactic to draw more people to their cause.........and it works!!
Religion is a hang-over from ancient times when science was not available to explain that suffering exists in all forms of life, and has nothing in common with humans having offended gods.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#497224 Dec 4, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
JESUS SAID...

Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying,

All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Any one that that attempts

to DELIBERATELY upstage

THE ONE

THAT HAS ALL POWER IN HEAVEN AND EARTH

IS A BLITHERING IDIOT...

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#497225 Dec 4, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
But ... you WARN ... if others don't follow Jesus as do YOU, they can expect the WORST in the "afterlife." Especially those nasty Jews that Jesus found so repulsive that he had to start a new religion foreign to Judaism.
What a pile of lies on top of more lies.
How is Christianity "foreign" to Judaism?

Prince George, Canada

#497226 Dec 4, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does it say in a Popes job description that no Bar bouncers need apply?
:)

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#497227 Dec 4, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
confrInting
KayMarie
Peace
You have two issues going on here. The first is excommunication, more or less that is similar to the OSAS issue with Protestants. Also Protestants excommunicated people also. So there is a "fear" factor, when one does not conform to the group or set of beliefs, which if a person does not have a personal relationship with God, can feedback in the form of fear....
The second part is your friend. I have great sympathy in this area. I personally think that the standards are set idealistically very high in the RCC, for the sacraments, when we are speaking about human beings, who are inclined to decide for themselves what is right and wrong....
This brings about a sense of superior and prideful hypocrisy in the RCC in that so many can receive the Eucharist, and many cannot, by virtue of idealistic rules.
Peace
What you describe is "Self."

Thanks!
Michael

Terrace Bay, Canada

#497228 Dec 4, 2013
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
My Christian brothers and sisters were persecuted until 313 AD when your founder, Constantine declared his form and your form of "christianity" as the state religion of the Roman Empire. From 313 AD to 1517 AD true Christianity became so corrupted by the Roman Empire Catholic church it no longer resembled the church Jesus Christ died for.
In January 313, Constantine legalized Christianity with an edict that read:
"let this be so in order that the divine grace which we have experienced in such manifold ways, may always remain loyal to us and continue to bless us in all we undertake, for the welfare of the empire."
"For the welfare of the empire". What does that mean AnthonyMN?
Christianity was tolerated and even supported by the Roman State where conflict was not apparent. However, it was only one of many acceptable religions. Constantine was so superstitious that he feared offending any god, he worshiped the sun as a deity, and was only accepted into the Christian Church on his death bed.
<quoted text>
Virtually everything in Christianity from your date when the book of the Revelation was written and until 313 was written in VOLUMES by Christians.....not Romans. Do you comprende'. You are not CHRISTIAN.....you are a R O M A N ....get it!
Christianity.....true Christianity was put to death for 1,204 years until the Protestant Reformation set the captives free from the tyranny of Rome. Unfortunately you remain a captive to Rome.
Do you sincerely care about anyone who lived before 313 AD, or even after 313 AD? Really! Its not like you knew any of them.

People have been killing people since Cain killed Abel. Come ON!!

Get your life going and quit worrying about what or what did not happen centuries ago.

Prince George, Canada

#497229 Dec 4, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
confrInting
I love that song. Brings back fond memories....
The old hymns that once invoked fond memories in me, now seem silly, self-serving, and archaic.

Jesus loves me this I know for the bible tells me so ... ought to read ... Jesus is a traitor to the Jews, the new testament is but a ruse.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#497230 Dec 4, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Those were his words. If you believe you can explain them better than the author, by all means fill in the blanks.
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Man’s Search for meaning, by Victor E. Frankl.
The Meaning of Life
I doubt whether a doctor can answer this question in general terms. For the meaning of life differs from man to man, from day to day and from hour to hour. What matters, therefore, is not the meaning of life in general but rather the specific meaning of a person’s life at a given moment.
This statement needs to explaining. Life presents meaning in every moment.We must be open for it. hay's so difficult about that?
Michael

Terrace Bay, Canada

#497231 Dec 4, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Would that be by the god when he favored Jews, or when he favored Catholics, or when he favored Muslims, or when he favored Protestants. What MOOD was he in THAT minute of his "life?"
You have to be more specific, or you could mislead those who are not as wise as are you.
Sarcasm intended.
I can't believe for a second that christians would believe that the millions of children of Jews, Muslims, Hindus would be destined to hell, because christians claim Jesus has to be in your life to move to the next level.

It makes no common sense.

Religions were created by mankind, based on country cultures and politics. They created, shaped, and honed their gods to fit their needs and desires.

Prince George, Canada

#497232 Dec 4, 2013
When a Catholic and a Protestant both enjoy the same hymn ... something is badly amiss, as, if they are honest, they both believe the other one won't be saved.

:)

Robert F a.k.a. Human Being used to BE a Protestant before turning Catholic.

Martin Luther was a Catholic before turning Protestant.

Prince George, Canada

#497233 Dec 4, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>This statement needs to explaining. Life presents meaning in every moment.We must be open for it. hay's so difficult about that?
Then why were you complaining about me being dishonest when I posted it?

Prince George, Canada

#497234 Dec 4, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you sincerely care about anyone who lived before 313 AD, or even after 313 AD? Really! Its not like you knew any of them.
People have been killing people since Cain killed Abel. Come ON!!
Get your life going and quit worrying about what or what did not happen centuries ago.
I suggest that Cain and Abel where simply more mythical characters "staged" by theologians.

Prince George, Canada

#497235 Dec 4, 2013
<quoted text>How is Christianity "foreign" to Judaism?
SURELY you jest.

If they were the same, there would BE no Christianity.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#497236 Dec 4, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does it say in a Popes job description that no Bar bouncers need apply?
This is a no brainier question, Michael.....
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#497237 Dec 4, 2013
who=" Anthony MN" <quoted text>
17 And Jesus answered him, Blessed art thou, Simon son of Jona; it is not flesh and blood, it is my Father in heaven that has revealed this to thee. 18 And I tell thee this in my turn, that thou art Peter, and it is upon this rock that I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it; 19 and I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
----------
"IT IS NOT FLESH AND BLOOD...MY FATHER IN HEAVEN...REVEALED THIS TO YOU...AND UPON *THIS* ROCK (revelation to man BY GOD) I WILL BUILD MY CHURCH.
AND I WILL GIVE TO YOU (MY CHURCH)(ALL OF THE DISCIPLES WERE PRESENT) THE KEYS OF THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN...
WHATEVER YOU BIND...SHALL BE BOUND...AND WHATEVER YOU LOOSE...SHALL BE LOOSED.(Reference to forgiveness...for when we forgive (bind) the damage is bound.)"
You have the authority to forgive those who trespass against you...and they are free from their 'sin'. No priest can release (loose) the offense of those who trespass against someone else. Many have a false sense of security, believing that their sins are 'absolved' by the words of a man, when they themselves HAVE NOT forgiven others, nor have they been forgiven by them.
Jesus said that 'if YOU will not forgive others, My Father WILL NOT forgive you.' No one else can loose from judgment those who trespass against me...and God WILL NOT forgive me, if I WILL NOT forgive them. He has given to us the key to the kingdom, and we must use them. Read Psalm 133. David says that eternal life is in the unity of the brethren. If we do not forgive each other, we have no unity...and such dissension will find no place in heaven.
Blessings...
KayMarie
Blessings to you Kay. I'm sorry, but your commentary on Mat. 16 isn't in my bible. Which bible do you have that has it?

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#497238 Dec 4, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe it was every Tuesday night at 9:00 PM Bishop Sheen would speak about the catholic church with those watching his tv show. I remember my parents nodding their heads up and down everytime he said something they liked. Everything he said they liked. He was the bishop, he could do no wrong.
Move ahead 40-50 years and we now know that throughout the world many catholic bishops had lied and deceived their followers by hiding away sexually abusive priests, allowing many of them to abuse again and again..........thats not good!
The credability of the roman catholic church leaders back in the 50s and 60s was very high. Today not so good. No one to blame but themselves.
As,far as I know,there is,no rumor this,was true fro Bishop Sheen.

I've listed to a couple recently ..from his,site which were very good

Prince George, Canada

#497239 Dec 4, 2013
<quoted text>
JESUS SAID...
You believe that the mythical Jesus HAS to believe what you believe or he won't be able to be SAVED.

How funny.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#497240 Dec 4, 2013
who=" Anthony MN" <quoted text>
(Note to self, Confrinting calls the written Word of God a "broken record". Remember this the next time he says Catholics reject the bible.)
I suppose this "broken record" should be ignored as well?
14 So much I tell thee by letter, although I hope to pay thee a visit before long; 15 so that, if I am slow in coming, thou mayest be in no doubt over the conduct that is expected of thee in God’s household. By that I mean the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation upon which the truth rests.
----------
Please read the whole chapter (I Tim. 3).
1Ti 3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, THE HUSBAND OF ONE WIFE, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
1Ti 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
1Ti 3:4 One that ruleth well his own house, having HIS CHILDREN in subjection with all gravity;
1Ti 3:5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
1Ti 3:6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
1Ti 3:7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
1Ti 3:8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
1Ti 3:9 Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.
1Ti 3:10 And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.
1Ti 3:11 Even so must their WIVES be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.
1Ti 3:12 Let the DEACONS be the HUSBANDS OF ONE WIFE, ruling their children and their own houses well.
1Ti 3:13 For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.
1Ti 3:14 These things write I unto thee, hoping to come unto thee shortly:
1Ti 3:15 But if I tarry long, THAT YOU MAY KNOW HOW TO BEHAVE YOURSELF IN THE HOUSE OF GOD, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
----------
CC's have no wives or children. DUI's are a problem for those 'given to wine'. Scandals among (some of) the CC 'ministry' shows that someone doesn't know how they ought to behave themselves in the house of God.
KayMarie
Yeah, some priests, like pentecostal ministers, behave poorly. Doesn't mean the Church isn't the pillar and ground of the truth.

Prince George, Canada

#497241 Dec 4, 2013
<quoted text>Your scenario is the exact opposite of what Frankl found about logotherapy in the camps.His most basic axiom, that people who find meaning in suffering, meaning in life, live longer and healthier has been tested and confirmed over nearly 90 years. But June in topix knows better.
He had lots of different opinions as do we all.

How do YOU explain suffering in terms of why it exists?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 12 hr Mr Sir 10,376
News Christmas reminds us that Jesus was a migrant l... 14 hr Father Obrien 4
News Catholic schools being closed at alarming rate (Apr '08) Fri Father OFlanery 160
News Pope Francis's Visit to Turkey Embroiled in Par... (Dec '14) Dec 3 Azat 2
News As election nears, Pope Francis warns against f... Dec 1 Communist In A Dress 20
News Region's Catholic bishop welcomes Pope's stance... Nov 30 Cops are degenerates 35
News Franklin Graham rebuts pope on Islam: - This is... Nov 29 narako 2
More from around the web