Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 675596 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Chilliwack, Canada

#494858 Nov 26, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
You are really angry that there are people who believe in a really Holy never failing God.
How funny that (within the theological blather) you are so arrogant as to believe that YOU have staked Christian claims on Jehovah's out-look!

:)

I suggest that (within the theology) Jehovah has other ideas.

:)
StarC

Antioch, CA

#494859 Nov 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Beatification is not only a silly ritual of your church, it is a complete waste of major money that could have fed and COULD feed a lot of starving people.
Beatification does not cost a penny, silly women. Google Catholic Charities, we feed plenty of starving people.
Thanks be to God.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#494860 Nov 26, 2013
Liam wrote:
You guys need to cut this crap out. None of ya have the power of discernment on sacred scripture- including myself.
lol. you always post a reply and it never has anything to do with what is being discussed. so why are you so ignorant. I remember just a few days ago, you called me a moron.

THE DISCERNMENT IS ABOUT KNOWING THE SPIRIT OF ANOTHER PERSON AMONG OTHER THINGS

it has nothing to do with the Holy Scriptures!

What Is Spiritual Discernment? Spiritual discernment is calling on the Holy Spirit to lead or give direction on a matter
Catholic Girl

United States

#494861 Nov 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
UH HUH!
You want me to buy into the idea that you can be Catholic and humble all in one package???
Dream on!
People that place high value on their own religious cults can not BE at all humble. Their urge to protect their own religious dogmas keeps them fully loaded with arrogance, and right-fighting attitudes.
It's taught in Catholic church one needs to be humble. I just said I was told I was humble which i guess I am, just telling what I was told and thought, wow what a nice compliment.
Have you heard of the 7 deadly sins? This is what we don't want: greed, lust, gluttony, pride, sloth, wrath, envy. I think what you describe as attitudes isn't that at all. When you believe in something so deeply it's human nature to fight back to protect your beliefs. No arrogance, no dogmas.
Like if you have children and someone bad mouths them, wouldn't you fight back to protect the children even if you knew what was said maybe correct. Of course you would fight and if you found out what was said is true and doesn't fit your style, wouldn't you correct that child in private.
----
Also Congrats on posting # achievement. That's something...
Catholic Girl

United States

#494862 Nov 26, 2013
Whats with all the Jehovah stuff? Is it true this name in in bible more times than Jesus name? Are you a witness June? What about JW prediction, 1976 the world will come to an end, yr. 2000 the world will come to an end. It did come to an end for some, those that passe away. But I don't think this is what was meant. do you know? knower of all.:)
StarC

Antioch, CA

#494863 Nov 26, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember when our family would go to mass. My mother, father and the other catholics in the church would give that long, cold, catholic dead stare at people in church that only went on Christmas and Easter, making them feel unwelcome.
I couldn't wait for christmas and easter masses. I knew what was going to happen everytime.
Now we know where u got all your hatred, must run in the family.

:D

BTW. 3 million people went to see the pope in Brazil, no football in sight. Ha ha!
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#494865 Nov 26, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Anthony MN, did Jesus say.....I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me shall not hunger. John 6:35
Let's say you answer yes....if so, did Jesus literally mean you will never hunger for another meal the rest of your life? Have you been hungry since you last ate the transubstantiated body of Jesus?
If so, why? Apparently Jesus was not being "literal" when he said, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me shall not hunger."
1. Bread
I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me shall not hunger. John 6:35
2. Light (Anthony MN, was Jesus a "literal" light like a bulb?)
I am the light of the world; he who fallows Me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life. John 8:12
3. Gate (Anthony MN, was Jesus a "literal" gate?)
I am the gate; if anyone enters through Me, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. John 10:9
4. Good Shepherd (Anthony MN, was Jesus ever a shepherd?)
I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for His sheep. John 10:11
5. Resurrection and Life
I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me shall live even if he dies. John 11:25
6. Way (Anthony MN, did Jesus become a direction like North, South etc.?)
I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me. John 14:6
7. True vine (Anthony MN, did Jesus become a vine?)
I am the true vine, and My Father is the vine dresser. John 15:1
His disciples knew He was speaking metaphorically in these examples.

The only time His disciples left and followed Him no more was in the bread of life discourse in John 6 when Jesus emphatically and repeatedly insisted His flesh was real food and His blood real drink and that we must eat His flesh and drink His blood to have eternal life. The teaching was too hard for them to accept. I guess it's to hard for you too.

Chilliwack, Canada

#494866 Nov 26, 2013
Humor

WHY OLD MEN DON'T GET HIRED!

Human Resources Manager: "What is your greatest weakness?

Old Man: "Honesty."

Human Resources Manager: "I don't think honesty is a weakness."

Old Man: "I don't really give a shit what you think."

Chilliwack, Canada

#494867 Nov 26, 2013
Catholic Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
It's taught in Catholic church one needs to be humble.
The religion itself is not based on humility.

"I am saved, and you "evil-one" will spend eternity in hell."

Chilliwack, Canada

#494868 Nov 26, 2013
Catholic Girl wrote:
Whats with all the Jehovah stuff?
Your anti-Semitism is SHOWING!

Chilliwack, Canada

#494869 Nov 26, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>lol. THE DISCERNMENT IS ABOUT KNOWING THE SPIRIT OF ANOTHER PERSON AMONG OTHER THINGS
it has nothing to do with the Holy Scriptures!
What Is Spiritual Discernment? Spiritual discernment is calling on the Holy Spirit to lead or give direction on a matter
Far too many people have already committed suicide because the arrogant mental self manipulation of their own religious mumbo-jumbo drove them insane.

However ... it's your choice to keep on winding yourself up in your own mental tightrope, or to in turn set your self free and take life as it comes.

Chilliwack, Canada

#494870 Nov 26, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
His disciples knew He was speaking metaphorically in these examples.
Metaphor is only handy for those who don't want to take scriptures as a course of taking the words in the literal sense ... as in "carnal sense."

It's the game played on self by con-artists that know no better.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#494871 Nov 26, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN" <quoted text>
"It is simply a practice of measuring all 'doctrine' by the scriptures."
I've asked a thousand times who the authority is in protestantism that gets to measure the doctrine. The only answer I've ever gotten is "the Holy Spirit tells me." Why does the Holy Spirit guide protestants to conflicting truths? If every protestant gets to decide for themselves, how can anyone know the truth for sure?
----------
It is like any other 'ism' when investigated by man...there are various 'opinions'...and then there is the truth. A first grader would have a different definition of ecology, for instance, than a college graduate who specialized in the subject.
You will tell me that Catholics all say the same thing. True, to the extent that you have a memorized catechism. Mormons, J.W.'s Islamist, and all other 'religions' are the same way. However, get any one of you into a discussion that is not memorized, and you have as many different positions as any one else.
Many religious people are like parrots and monkeys (repetitious and laughable). They spout what they have memorized, and say, "I think...", but they do not know what the Bible really has to say. Thus all the different 'opinions'.
That is why Jesus said, "IT IS WRITTEN".(Go thou, and do likewise.:)
Jesus said that the Holy Spirit, "when He is come, will guide you in ALL TRUTH." Do you believe Him (the Truth)?
KayMarie
Yes, I believe Him.

As I said, no one, not even you is this latest attempt, has been able to give an answer. I'd ask that you try again:

Why does the Holy Spirit guide protestants to conflicting truths?

If every protestant gets to decide for themselves, how can anyone know the truth for sure?

Two bible scholars, people who have studied the bible for many decades, believe the bible teaches two different things. Who decides?

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#494872 Nov 26, 2013
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
Beatification does not cost a penny, silly women. Google Catholic Charities, we feed plenty of starving people.
Thanks be to God.
And how many more could you feed with the money spent on all these Temples of Vanity? No one would be homeless. Everyone could be fed. Surely any god would approve of such! And yet we have a church on every street corner.

It's quite sad, actually.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#494873 Nov 26, 2013
The apostles were men who sinned.
Jesus told them to do it anyway.
The Holy Spirit works through men who sin.
Speaking of being out of one's mind, anyone who thinks they can pick up a bible, study it for a few years and then think they speak for God is out of his mind.
----------
Do you really think that the Apostles were unchanged after three years with Jesus? They were still human...but they were GODLY men, who preached a life-transforming gospel.
KayMarie
Never implied they were "unchanged". They remained sinners even after 3 years with Christ.

Chilliwack, Canada

#494874 Nov 26, 2013
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
Now we know where u got all your hatred, must run in the family.
:D
I suggest you don't pick on Michael for recognizing the hypocrisy in what used to be his, and is now your religion.

The hypocrisy is plain for anyone that wants to see.

My father was raised by strict Catholic parents, who chastised him when as a boy he went to them for "help." They told him that they never wanted to hear him say such things again about a "man of GOD."

They believed the priest and dissed their own son as a liar.

Chilliwack, Canada

#494875 Nov 26, 2013
Apatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
And how many more could you feed with the money spent on all these Temples of Vanity? No one would be homeless. Everyone could be fed. Surely any god would approve of such! And yet we have a church on every street corner.
It's quite sad, actually.
It's quite human to want what comforts the self.

Men on their thrones felt all-powerful as the looked down on others as being offenders of gods and at their selves as being servants of gods.

THAT is religion in a nutshell.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#494876 Nov 26, 2013
who="Oxbow" <quoted text>
I was taught by the person teaching me the Cathechisum thatI was not to read the Bible...if I tried...I would go crazy.
I was also told the priest went to school seven years to learn what the Bible teaches...so, he knows the truth from the Bible...don't question him...do what he says do...
----------
If they told you that YOU would go crazy if you read the Bible, WHAT DOES THAT MAKE THEIR PRIESTS WHO READ IT FOR SEVEN YEARS???
KayMarie
He's a liar. But I guess you can add this latest gossip to your anti-Catholic repertoire.

Chilliwack, Canada

#494877 Nov 26, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Two bible scholars, people who have studied the bible for many decades, believe the bible teaches two different things. Who decides?
YOU will decide.

I decided they were all liars.
OldJG

Barrington, IL

#494878 Nov 26, 2013
"It is simply a practice of measuring all 'doctrine' by the scriptures."
I've asked a thousand times who the authority is in protestantism that gets to measure the doctrine. The only answer I've ever gotten is "the Holy Spirit tells me." Why does the Holy Spirit guide protestants to conflicting truths? If every protestant gets to decide for themselves, how can anyone know the truth for sure?
----------
It is like any other 'ism' when investigated by man...there are various 'opinions'...and then there is the truth. A first grader would have a different definition of ecology, for instance, than a college graduate who specialized in the subject.
You will tell me that Catholics all say the same thing. True, to the extent that you have a memorized catechism. Mormons, J.W.'s Islamist, and all other 'religions' are the same way. However, get any one of you into a discussion that is not memorized, and you have as many different positions as any one else.
Many religious people are like parrots and monkeys (repetitious and laughable). They spout what they have memorized, and say, "I think...", but they do not know what the Bible really has to say. Thus all the different 'opinions'.
That is why Jesus said, "IT IS WRITTEN".(Go thou, and do likewise.:)
Jesus said that the Holy Spirit, "when He is come, will guide you in ALL TRUTH." Do you believe Him (the Truth)?
KayMarie
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I believe Him.
As I said, no one, not even you is this latest attempt, has been able to give an answer. I'd ask that you try again:
Why does the Holy Spirit guide protestants to conflicting truths?
If every protestant gets to decide for themselves, how can anyone know the truth for sure?
They are not conflicting truths because not one of us knows the mind of God. He is leading and although it may seem in conflict His ways are higher than our ways and His thoughts than ours. We as human beings can only see the beginning of the parade but God sees the whole parade. We are to wait on the Lord. He will reveal His plan to us in due time. We are called to trust and obey.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 1 hr Married in 10,520
News Pope Francis meets 4 Imams to open a Christian-... Apr 21 Joe 30
News Pope opens free laundromat for the poor Pope Fr... Apr 12 True Christian wi... 1
News Role of women in the modern Catholic Church 'un... Apr 9 South Knox Hombre 1
News What Pope Francis and Obama may talk about (Sep '15) Apr 7 Teana Trump 53
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... (Apr '15) Mar 31 whirlingmerc 9
News Pope Francis will do 'everything he can' to vis... Mar 31 Gods r Delusions ... 1
More from around the web