Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 541,878
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#492708 Nov 18, 2013
Chess wrote:
<quoted text>
So you were being dishonest.
How can I be dishonest about a "concept" of truth?

June VanDerMark wrote:

<quoted text>
Thanks for the acknowledgement.
And I also can't know for certain what the church fathers believed on their death-beds, but I suggest that the concept that Jesus wanted them to hate the Jews and Judaism had become such a ritualistic engrained practice to them, that they died with the concept that those thoughts were based on truth, rather than entertaining the idea that the beliefs their selves were based on illusion.
-NOMAD-

Plymouth, MA

#492709 Nov 18, 2013
The people i think who have been mis-guided are the religious Jew. They Are Still Waiting for the Messiah from God who will rescue them from there enemies.So sad that all these thousands of years, they have closed their heart and eyes to the Messiah we call Jesus [anointed one] God has sent them the Messiah, but because he said he was the son of God, they cast stones upon him and ridiculed him into the waiting hands of the Roman, governing authority. Hence, by orders of the high priest he was murdered and to them, his life as a man was over and the reigning Jews held onto there power of authority over the people.
*****To contributors here like June Van Der Mark, a Jewish person, My prayers go out to her and all those believers and non believers of the Jewish Faith.

Quesnel, Canada

#492710 Nov 18, 2013
While the Christians were busy murdering the Jews and others as heretics, they must have been certain that Jesus approved, or they would not have risked from their own perception, their own salvation ... would they???
Chess

Columbus, OH

#492711 Nov 18, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
According to you, I'm always dishonest. What a pity for me that I don't belong to your religion ... RIGHT???
Speaking of you being dishonest, what religion would be mine?

Quesnel, Canada

#492712 Nov 18, 2013
My concept of truth is that theologians mislead me by claiming they knew truth.

My new concept of truth since I left religion, is that none of them knew or know what the future holds in store, or even IF there is a future after death.

Fantasy can claim to own truth. Anybody can play that game ... and people still stuck in the bondage of religion insist on continuing to play the games started so long ago, by ancient, dim-witted theologians.

Quesnel, Canada

#492713 Nov 18, 2013
Chess wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of you being dishonest, what religion would be mine?
That is your business, but I suggest that you will nurture it with all your might as being worth the ongoing fight.

Quesnel, Canada

#492714 Nov 18, 2013
-NOMAD- wrote:
The people i think who have been mis-guided are the religious Jew.
How funny.
Chess

Columbus, OH

#492715 Nov 18, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
How can I be dishonest about a "concept" of truth?
When you learn to be truthful, get back to me, goofy.
Chess

Columbus, OH

#492716 Nov 18, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
That is your business, but I suggest that you will nurture it with all your might as being worth the ongoing fight.
So you claim I have a religion but you can't tell me what it is.

More dishonesty.
Chess

Columbus, OH

#492717 Nov 18, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
That is religion in a nutshell.
Example ... "If I pretend that Jesus loves me ... it has to be true."
It is indeed, June.

So why were you pretending?

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#492718 Nov 18, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Please Chuck. You guys just can't seem to grasp that the Bible didn't come before the Church.
Whereas, every single protestant sect was launched after privately reading the Bible. Some of you even patterned your particular sects after one or two verses.(Baptist, born agains, Pentecostals, JW's)
How can you demand that infant Baptism be explicitly detailed in scripture when Christians were doing it before one Apostle even began to write the NT scriptures? You see how you demand that your listeners submit to ignorance first, then forgo logic??
Here is some more proof for you: The Apostle Thomas set up the Church in India; Andrew in Greece. They Baptized the entire households including infants.
is it documented in their writings?? No, because Andrew and Thomas didn't write. And they certainly didn't carry copies of Pauls letters to the folks. Yet, we know what they taught because the Churches they installed are still there today.
Thomas didn't write?
Then what is this first line in his gospel?
"These are the secret sayings which the living Jesus spoke
and which Didymos Judas Thomas wrote down."

This document considered by many scholars as very possibly the "Q" document from which all other writings emanated.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#492719 Nov 18, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
we have proof that the Bible itself was compiled by the Catholic Church in the 4th century...

~~~

You cannot prove that the church was called Catholic in the 4th Century...

All you can provide is and dance .....

Like a humming bird that hums because he don't know the words...and denies the truth...

You flit from fables to a lies and then to conjecture with no solid truth to ascertain an eternal destiny...with God...

Promising nothing ...,... that any one can depend upon as truth.

Yet avowing your dead end street is the one leads to

the right address...

Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Dan 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#492720 Nov 18, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Please Chuck. You guys just can't seem to grasp that the Bible didn't come before the Church.
Whereas, every single protestant sect was launched after privately reading the Bible. Some of you even patterned your particular sects after one or two verses.(Baptist, born agains, Pentecostals, JW's)
How can you demand that infant Baptism be explicitly detailed in scripture when Christians were doing it before one Apostle even began to write the NT scriptures? You see how you demand that your listeners submit to ignorance first, then forgo logic??
Here is some more proof for you: The Apostle Thomas set up the Church in India; Andrew in Greece. They Baptized the entire households including infants.
is it documented in their writings?? No, because Andrew and Thomas didn't write. And they certainly didn't carry copies of Pauls letters to the folks. Yet, we know what they taught because the Churches they installed are still there today.
This big long drawn out speech Clay with nothing...nothing
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#492721 Nov 18, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
And also, we can and do point out where those things can be found in scripture. We can also point to where the first and second generation of Christians believed the same. You reject it anyway. Apparently God wanted you to dictate what Christianity should believe.
I can't stomach the fanatical position of you guys anymore. Its truly heartbreaking.
I guess just provide a verse where Jesus Christ says "you five write down some letters and memoirs 30 yrs from now, that'll become part of the Bible and future Christians are only to privately determine my teachings based on that. Here is a list of scripture to go sola scripture by"
Do you have a passage where Christ says this or Paul says this?
You said: I guess just provide a verse where Jesus Christ says "you five write down some letters and memoirs 30 yrs from now

*** lol...I knew you wouldn't let me down Clay!!
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#492722 Nov 18, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
we have proof that the Bible itself was compiled by the Catholic Church in the 4th century...
~~~
Like a humming bird that hums because he don't know the words...and denies the truth...
You flit from fables to a lies and then to conjecture with no solid truth to ascertain an eternal destiny...with God...
the right address...
Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
Dan 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.
The Church is called “Catholic”

"See that ye all follow the bishop, even as Christ Jesus does the Father, and the presbytery as ye would the apostles. Do ye also reverence the deacons, as those that carry out the appointment of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude also be; by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church." Ignatius of Antioch, Epistle to the Smyrneans, 8:2 (c. A.D. 110).

"[A]ll the people wondered that there should be such a difference between the unbelievers and the elect, of whom this most admirable Polycarp was one, having in our own times been an apostolic and prophetic teacher, and bishop of the Catholic Church which is in Smyrna. For every word that went out of his mouth either has been or shall yet be accomplished." Martyrdom of Polycarp, 16:2 (A.D. 155).

“…to be in honour however with the Catholic Church for the ordering of ecclesiastical discipline...one to the Laodicenes, another to the Alexandrians, both forged in Paul's name to suit the heresy of Marcion, and several others, which cannot be received into the Catholic Church; for it is not fitting that gall be mixed with honey. The Epistle of Jude no doubt, and the couple bearing the name of John, are accepted by the Catholic Church...But of Arsinous, called also Valentinus, or of Militiades we receive nothing at all.” The fragment of Muratori (A.D. 177).

"[N]or does it consist in this, that he should again falsely imagine, as being above this [fancied being], a Pleroma at one time supposed to contain thirty, and at another time an innumerable tribe of Aeons, as these teachers who are destitute of truly divine wisdom maintain; while the Catholic Church possesses one and the same faith throughout the whole world, as we have already said." Irenaeus, Against Heresies, 1:10,3 (A.D. 180).

“For it is evident that those men lived not so long ago,--in the reign of Antoninus for the most part,--and that they at first were believers in the doctrine of the Catholic Church, in the church of Rome under the episcopate of the blessed Eleutherus, until on account of their ever restless curiosity, with which they even infected the brethren, they were more than once expelled.” Tertullian, On the Prescription Against Heretics, 22,30 (A.D. 200).
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#492723 Nov 18, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
the right address...
”Whence you ought to know that the bishop is in the Church, and the Church in the bishop; and if any one be not with the bishop, that he is not in the Church, and that those flatter themselves in vain who creep in, not having peace with God's priests, and think that they communicate secretly with some; while the Church, which is Catholic and one, is not cut nor divided, but is indeed connected and bound together by the cement of priests who cohere with one another.” Cyprian, To Florentius, Epistle 66/67 (A.D. 254).

“But for those who say, There was when He was not, and, Before being born He was not, and that He came into existence out of nothing, or who assert that the Son of God is of a different hypostasis or substance...these the Catholic and apostolic Church anathematizes.” Creed of Nicea (A.D. 325).

"Concerning those who call themselves Cathari, if they come over to the Catholic and Apostolic Church, the great and holy Synod decrees that they who are ordained shall continue as they are in the clergy. But it is before all things necessary that they should profess in writing that they will observe and follow the dogmas of the Catholic and Apostolic Church; in particular that they will communicate with persons who have been twice married, and with those who having lapsed in persecution have had a period [of penance] laid upon them, and a time [of restoration] fixed so that in all things they will follow the dogmas of the Catholic Church..." Council of Nicaea I (A.D. 325).

“Concerning this Holy Catholic Church Paul writes to Timothy,'That thou mayest know haw thou oughtest to behave thyself in the House of God, which is the Church of the Living God, the pillar and ground of the truth'” Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lectures,18:25(A.D. 350).

"[T]he Article, In one Holy Catholic Church,' on which, though one might say many things, we will speak but briefly. It is called Catholic then because it extends over all the world, from one end of the earth to the other; and because it teaches universally and completely one and all the doctrines which ought to come to men's knowledge, concerning things both visible and invisible, heavenly and earthly… for this cause the Faith has securely delivered to thee now the Article, And in one Holy Catholic Church;' that thou mayest avoid their wretched meetings, and ever abide with the Holy Church Catholic in which thou wast regenerated. And if ever thou art sojourning in cities, inquire not simply where the Lord's House is (for the other sects of the profane also attempt to call their own dens houses of the Lord), nor merely where the Church is, but where is the Catholic Church. For this is the peculiar name of this Holy Church, the mother of us all, which is the spouse of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Only-begotten Son of God.” Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lectures, 18:23,26 (A.D. 350).

Quesnel, Canada

#492724 Nov 18, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The Church is called “Catholic”
From the book,“The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire,” by Edward Gibbon,(Coyright 1963, by Frank C. Bourne … comes the following…….

In the time of the Emperor Decius it was the opinion of the magistrates that the Christians of Rome were possessed of very considerable wealth, that vessels of gold and silver were used in their religious worship, and that many among their proselytes had sold their lands and houses to increase the public riches of the sect, at the expense, indeed, of their unfortunate children, who found themselves beggars because their parents had been saints.

Quesnel, Canada

#492725 Nov 18, 2013
Chess wrote:
<quoted text>
So you claim I have a religion but you can't tell me what it is.
More dishonesty.
I doubt that even you knows what it is. I suggest that if you did, you wouldn't believe in it.

Quesnel, Canada

#492726 Nov 18, 2013
Here again ... we see that (within the theology) the teaching that Christians were saved by grace, instilled in them that they no longer had to follow the laws set up by the Jewish god.

Yet the god of the Jews was and is the only god of the Abrahamic religion. That means the Christians believe that the god lied, and decided to save them because they were under a state of grace, while the Jews were NOT allowed under the same state of grace.

What a theological scam!
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

From the book,“The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire,” by Edward Gibbon,(Coyright 1963, by Frank C. Bourne … comes the following…….

Under these circumstances, Christianity offered itself to the world, armed with the strength of the Mosaic law, and delivered from the weight of its fetters.

Quesnel, Canada

#492727 Nov 18, 2013
The hair-flipping Ann Coulter brags about how her Christian religion is a fast-track to heaven, and how the poor Jews are still under the law.

I suggest that Ann is over-confident that grace will relieve her of her human nature and take her sailing off to a Christian heaven, where Jesus will wait on her every need and be her slave forever and ever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... Fri pazuzu 68
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Sep 12 Married in 8,293
Selfies with Pope Francis cardboard cutouts pop... Sep 10 ELIAS IBARRA 5
Pope Francis pursues a thaw in relations with m... Sep 9 Andrez Lopez 2
Francis' letter to Cubans: Imitate Mary's joy, ... Sep 8 Crusader 1
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Sep 5 ELIAS IBARRA 49
Pope Francis' one-day trip expected to give Alb... Sep 4 Barbarian 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••