Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 545,101
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#492721 Nov 18, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
And also, we can and do point out where those things can be found in scripture. We can also point to where the first and second generation of Christians believed the same. You reject it anyway. Apparently God wanted you to dictate what Christianity should believe.
I can't stomach the fanatical position of you guys anymore. Its truly heartbreaking.
I guess just provide a verse where Jesus Christ says "you five write down some letters and memoirs 30 yrs from now, that'll become part of the Bible and future Christians are only to privately determine my teachings based on that. Here is a list of scripture to go sola scripture by"
Do you have a passage where Christ says this or Paul says this?
You said: I guess just provide a verse where Jesus Christ says "you five write down some letters and memoirs 30 yrs from now

*** lol...I knew you wouldn't let me down Clay!!
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#492722 Nov 18, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
we have proof that the Bible itself was compiled by the Catholic Church in the 4th century...
~~~
You cannot prove that the church was called Catholic in the 4th Century...
All you can provide is and dance .....
Like a humming bird that hums because he don't know the words...and denies the truth...
You flit from fables to a lies and then to conjecture with no solid truth to ascertain an eternal destiny...with God...
Promising nothing ...,... that any one can depend upon as truth.
Yet avowing your dead end street is the one leads to
the right address...
Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
Dan 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.
The Church is called “Catholic”

"See that ye all follow the bishop, even as Christ Jesus does the Father, and the presbytery as ye would the apostles. Do ye also reverence the deacons, as those that carry out the appointment of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude also be; by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church." Ignatius of Antioch, Epistle to the Smyrneans, 8:2 (c. A.D. 110).

"[A]ll the people wondered that there should be such a difference between the unbelievers and the elect, of whom this most admirable Polycarp was one, having in our own times been an apostolic and prophetic teacher, and bishop of the Catholic Church which is in Smyrna. For every word that went out of his mouth either has been or shall yet be accomplished." Martyrdom of Polycarp, 16:2 (A.D. 155).

“…to be in honour however with the Catholic Church for the ordering of ecclesiastical discipline...one to the Laodicenes, another to the Alexandrians, both forged in Paul's name to suit the heresy of Marcion, and several others, which cannot be received into the Catholic Church; for it is not fitting that gall be mixed with honey. The Epistle of Jude no doubt, and the couple bearing the name of John, are accepted by the Catholic Church...But of Arsinous, called also Valentinus, or of Militiades we receive nothing at all.” The fragment of Muratori (A.D. 177).

"[N]or does it consist in this, that he should again falsely imagine, as being above this [fancied being], a Pleroma at one time supposed to contain thirty, and at another time an innumerable tribe of Aeons, as these teachers who are destitute of truly divine wisdom maintain; while the Catholic Church possesses one and the same faith throughout the whole world, as we have already said." Irenaeus, Against Heresies, 1:10,3 (A.D. 180).

“For it is evident that those men lived not so long ago,--in the reign of Antoninus for the most part,--and that they at first were believers in the doctrine of the Catholic Church, in the church of Rome under the episcopate of the blessed Eleutherus, until on account of their ever restless curiosity, with which they even infected the brethren, they were more than once expelled.” Tertullian, On the Prescription Against Heretics, 22,30 (A.D. 200).
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#492723 Nov 18, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
we have proof that the Bible itself was compiled by the Catholic Church in the 4th century...
~~~
Like a humming bird that hums because he don't know the words...and denies the truth...
You flit from fables to a lies and then to conjecture with no solid truth to ascertain an eternal destiny...with God...
the right address...
Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
Dan 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.
”Whence you ought to know that the bishop is in the Church, and the Church in the bishop; and if any one be not with the bishop, that he is not in the Church, and that those flatter themselves in vain who creep in, not having peace with God's priests, and think that they communicate secretly with some; while the Church, which is Catholic and one, is not cut nor divided, but is indeed connected and bound together by the cement of priests who cohere with one another.” Cyprian, To Florentius, Epistle 66/67 (A.D. 254).

“But for those who say, There was when He was not, and, Before being born He was not, and that He came into existence out of nothing, or who assert that the Son of God is of a different hypostasis or substance...these the Catholic and apostolic Church anathematizes.” Creed of Nicea (A.D. 325).

"Concerning those who call themselves Cathari, if they come over to the Catholic and Apostolic Church, the great and holy Synod decrees that they who are ordained shall continue as they are in the clergy. But it is before all things necessary that they should profess in writing that they will observe and follow the dogmas of the Catholic and Apostolic Church; in particular that they will communicate with persons who have been twice married, and with those who having lapsed in persecution have had a period [of penance] laid upon them, and a time [of restoration] fixed so that in all things they will follow the dogmas of the Catholic Church..." Council of Nicaea I (A.D. 325).

“Concerning this Holy Catholic Church Paul writes to Timothy,'That thou mayest know haw thou oughtest to behave thyself in the House of God, which is the Church of the Living God, the pillar and ground of the truth'” Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lectures,18:25(A.D. 350).

"[T]he Article, In one Holy Catholic Church,' on which, though one might say many things, we will speak but briefly. It is called Catholic then because it extends over all the world, from one end of the earth to the other; and because it teaches universally and completely one and all the doctrines which ought to come to men's knowledge, concerning things both visible and invisible, heavenly and earthly… for this cause the Faith has securely delivered to thee now the Article, And in one Holy Catholic Church;' that thou mayest avoid their wretched meetings, and ever abide with the Holy Church Catholic in which thou wast regenerated. And if ever thou art sojourning in cities, inquire not simply where the Lord's House is (for the other sects of the profane also attempt to call their own dens houses of the Lord), nor merely where the Church is, but where is the Catholic Church. For this is the peculiar name of this Holy Church, the mother of us all, which is the spouse of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Only-begotten Son of God.” Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lectures, 18:23,26 (A.D. 350).

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#492724 Nov 18, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The Church is called “Catholic”
From the book,“The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire,” by Edward Gibbon,(Coyright 1963, by Frank C. Bourne … comes the following…….

In the time of the Emperor Decius it was the opinion of the magistrates that the Christians of Rome were possessed of very considerable wealth, that vessels of gold and silver were used in their religious worship, and that many among their proselytes had sold their lands and houses to increase the public riches of the sect, at the expense, indeed, of their unfortunate children, who found themselves beggars because their parents had been saints.

Quesnel, Canada

#492725 Nov 18, 2013
Chess wrote:
<quoted text>
So you claim I have a religion but you can't tell me what it is.
More dishonesty.
I doubt that even you knows what it is. I suggest that if you did, you wouldn't believe in it.

Quesnel, Canada

#492726 Nov 18, 2013
Here again ... we see that (within the theology) the teaching that Christians were saved by grace, instilled in them that they no longer had to follow the laws set up by the Jewish god.

Yet the god of the Jews was and is the only god of the Abrahamic religion. That means the Christians believe that the god lied, and decided to save them because they were under a state of grace, while the Jews were NOT allowed under the same state of grace.

What a theological scam!
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

From the book,“The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire,” by Edward Gibbon,(Coyright 1963, by Frank C. Bourne … comes the following…….

Under these circumstances, Christianity offered itself to the world, armed with the strength of the Mosaic law, and delivered from the weight of its fetters.

Quesnel, Canada

#492727 Nov 18, 2013
The hair-flipping Ann Coulter brags about how her Christian religion is a fast-track to heaven, and how the poor Jews are still under the law.

I suggest that Ann is over-confident that grace will relieve her of her human nature and take her sailing off to a Christian heaven, where Jesus will wait on her every need and be her slave forever and ever.

StarC

Whittier, CA

#492728 Nov 18, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
the right address...
It was called Catholic in the first century by Saint Ignatius, we have witnesses.
Live with it, denial does not work.

Quesnel, Canada

#492729 Nov 18, 2013
That simple word "grace" enamored more than a few Christians to believe that a Jew residing in Christian heaven fell in love with their selves.

Religion is quite the arrogant pastime.

But the best tale yet is the one about Jesus the Jew, working non-stop in Catholic confessionals.

THAT is a whopper!

Quesnel, Canada

#492730 Nov 18, 2013
How arrogant!
>>>>>>> >>>>>>

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

Quesnel, Canada

#492731 Nov 18, 2013
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
It was called Catholic in the first century by Saint Ignatius, we have witnesses.
Live with it, denial does not work.
If I were you, I would want to deny that my group was the first group of Christians to in turn break away from Judaism.

I suggest that Jehovah agrees with me on this one.

Tongue in cheek

Quesnel, Canada

#492732 Nov 18, 2013
I suggest you keep in mind that the Jews were one time polytheists, in the belief of multiple gods.

At one point in history some of them decided the one-god dogma would work wonders in the world, as all other people would have to become Jews of their specific sect in order to become favorites of the one and ONLY god.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

We have already described the religious harmony of the ancient world, and the facility with which the most different and even hostile nations embraced, or at least respected, each other’s superstitions. A single people refused to join in the common intercourse of mankind. The Jews, who, under the Assyrian and Persian monarchies, had languished for many ages the most despised portion of their slaves, emerged from obscurity under the successors of Alexander; and as they multiplied to a surprising degree in the East, and afterwards in the West, they soon excited the curiosity and wonder of other nations.
Human Being

Arnaudville, LA

#492733 Nov 18, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
OH YEAH ... RIGHT!!!... but you believe your future in the hereafter is BRIGHT and WONDROUS as you will gaze from above and feel pity for the ones down below you ... in eternal hell.
You are a see-through pompous ass Robert F.
June

So glad I am see-through, things are BRIGHT AND WONDROUS already.

Don't look down!

I had a thought.(Surprise) How about us switching roles? You can be nice, and I will be sassy....You can say nothing but kind things about religion, and I will be deprecatory....(smiles) Maybe we might learn something?

Quesnel, Canada

#492734 Nov 18, 2013
Pagan ... "Who are these liars that claim there is only one god?"

Other Pagan ... "They are called Jews."

"That means they claims our gods don't exist."

"That's right ... and by all the gods above ... that means WAR."
StarC

Whittier, CA

#492735 Nov 18, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
IS YOUR DOGMA NOT WRITTEN DOWN?
IS YOUR MYTHS ABOUT MARY WRITTEN DOWN?
IS NO YOUR BOOK,....that you have attempted to replace the BIBLE with
(that you call your CATECHISM )...IS IT NOT WRITTEN DOWN?...
ARE NOT YOUR RITUALS CHRONICLED IN A BOOK SOME WHERE?
-->THERE ARE BOOKS THAT BEST CONCERN YOU...
Dan_7:10 A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and -->the books were opened.
Rev_20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and -->the books were opened: and
-->another book was opened, which is the book of life:<--
and
===>the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.<===
Rom_6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
2Co_13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
2Co_13:6 But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.
1Th_1:5 For our gospel came not unto you in word only,
but
also in power, and
in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance;
Such an ignorant fool, how you call yourself a preacher is beyond me.

First off you do not know what Dogma means.

Today you will learn something, if you don't understand it, get someone with a Theology degree to explain it to you. I know you don't have degree, pastor. Internet free degree maybe. lol

Dogma is a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true.[1] It serves as part of the primary basis of an ideology or

belief system, and it cannot be changed

or discarded without affecting the very system's paradigm, or the ideology itself. They can refer to acceptable opinions of philosophers or philosophical schools, public decrees, religion, or issued decisions of political authorities.[2]

In Sacred Scripture it is used, at one time, in the sense of a decree or edict of the civil authority, as in Luke 2:1: "And it came to pass, that in those days there went out a decree [edictum, dogma] from Caesar Augustus" (cf. Acts 17:7; Esther 3:3); at another time, in the sense of an ordinance of the Mosaic Law as in Ephesians 2:15: "Making void the law of commandments contained in decrees" (dogmasin), and again, it is applied to the ordinances or decrees of the first Apostolic Council in Jerusalem: "And as they passed through the cities, they delivered unto them the decrees [dogmata] for to keep, that were decreed by the apostles and ancients who were at Jerusalem" (Acts 16:4).

Among the early Fathers the usage was prevalent of designating as dogmas the doctrines and moral precepts taught or promulgated by the Saviour or by the Apostles; and a distinction was sometimes made between Divine,

Apostolical, and ecclesiastical dogmas, according as a doctrine was conceived as having been taught by Christ,

by the Apostles, or as having been delivered to the faithful by the Church.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05089a.htm

Quesnel, Canada

#492736 Nov 18, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a thought.(Surprise) How about us switching roles?
If that means I have to become a Catholic, while you become an Atheist ... NO THANKS.

Besides, you already were an Atheist before you once again entrenched your self in Catholicism.
Human Being

Arnaudville, LA

#492737 Nov 18, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think dear old John was tormented, how do you think the Jews felt, when they were tortured, and burned at the stake because dear old John and his rabid Catholic liars vilified and framed the Jews ... and had no mercy on them whatsoever?
Your dear-John story doesn't cut any ice with me Robert F.
June

I have sympathy, empathy, and compassion for them all.

I think what bothers you is that to linger in the wrongs of the past, one holds onto malice and anger. And such things cannot exist when one has compassion.

So my "advice" is to let go of the past wrongs, it is like an ongoing sin, that has no beginning, and end. It just eats at a person....

Quesnel, Canada

#492738 Nov 18, 2013
The Jews were asking for big trouble when they first claimed that the one god in the sky favored ONLY them.

One can only imagine the anger of those who believed in many gods ... when they were informed by the Jews that their gods were false.

People don't appreciate losing their images of gods that they count on to save them in hereafters.
Liam

Chicago, IL

#492739 Nov 18, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
This big long drawn out speech Clay with nothing...nothing
you know what really sucks? We Catholics look at all our Protestants friends and acknowledge good and godly individuals amongst you. We don't doubt that the Lord may raise you up on the last day. In return, we get damned to hell by you guys. And you base this on what? Your private interpretations of our sacred scriptures. that's a fact. The Holy Scriptures flowed from the already established Church. So since you're going to misuse the Holy Bible to damn us, we're going to matter- of- factly remind you where the Bible came from.

Quesnel, Canada

#492740 Nov 18, 2013
And here is where Constantine took away the rights of all other religions and handed full power to the Catholics.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

From the book,“The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire,” by Edward Gibbon,(Coyright 1963, by Frank C. Bourne … comes the following

The grateful applause of the clergy has consecrated the memory of a prince, who indulged their passions and promoted their interest. Constantine gave them security, wealth, honours, and revenge; and the support of the orthodox faith was considered the most sacred and important duty of the civil magistrate. The edict of Milan, the great charter of toleration, had confirmed to each individual of the Roman world the privilege of his own religion. But this inestimable privilege was soon violated: with the knowledge of truth the emperor imbibed the maxims of persecution; and the sects which dissented from the catholic church were afflicted and oppressed by the triumph of Christianity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 47 min Married in 8,331
Pope's visit will change Philippines, Cardinal ... 12 hr TheRealOzzy 14
Allah is great.... (Jul '13) 14 hr Delilahblue 171
Catholic Church the only body 'effectively acti... 16 hr Nulli Secundus 1
Vatican exorcism conference warns the Devil is ... Mon Sherlayne 21
Catholics react to pope remarks on gays, abortion (Sep '13) Mon Gapin Garrika 12
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... (Mar '14) Sep 26 KidlatNgayon 88

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE