Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 658516 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#492026 Nov 15, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am speaking of the institution lead by and through Constantine beginning at Nicaea, edited and compiled in it's inception by the bishop of Caesarea....redacted and elaborated even further by the papacy through council.
Oh well ..I have more recent belief ...very ..:)

Jesus is,My Lord And Saviour ...He,was talked of in ages,past ..He will RETURN ...I prayIng am reader's HE does
HuskerDu

Falls City, NE

#492027 Nov 15, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I said in my post to you that while we believe in original sin, babies do not commit actual or personal sin. Baptism remits original sin. The Catechism is the official teaching of the Church and I prefer to go by what is stated there. It does not say that unbaptized children go to Purgatory, but rather are left to God's mercy. That is all that should be said about the matter, particularly when informing others about the faith. Our personal speculations are just that, speculations.
The baby is surrounded by sinfullness. you should know this, we are all poor sinners.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#492028 Nov 15, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>I agree and that is also the Orthodox's view on this matter.
Thank you!(Geez, and I thought you guys were bad, lol...holy cow!!)

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#492029 Nov 15, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if one of them comes back and yells at me for contradicting them, lol. That's happened before. But I believe it's important to stick to accurate teaching especially on public forums such as this. Also, I'd want to know the truth. There's nothing wrong with leaving such a matter in God's hands and trusting in Him. Life can be very painful, and I think that's often God's way of bringing us to depend entirely on Him. We don't get to call the shots, He does.
I love children's bibles. Nature is a great way to teach children about God, too.
And yes I'm sure ..

I've bought several or bible stories books,..oldest lives to read ..only get Christian authors ..I know they won't get creepy even with mystery stories ...And yes,animal books ..too
Liam

Detroit, MI

#492030 Nov 15, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Not about unbaptized babies they didn't. Here is what the Church teaches:
1261 As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus' tenderness toward children which caused him to say: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them,"64 allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church's call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive...
(I should get royalties!!)
There's a lot of misplaced compassion going around, even among nuns and priests. We put all our hope in God, "hope" being the operative word. Since it was revealed to us that baptism is necessary for entrance into heaven, and nothing was said or otherwise revealed about unbaptized children, then we have no choice but to go with that and leave them to His mercy. We can't say otherwise.
The nun that I remember anyway, said that Jesus will come to bring the unbaptized infant to Heaven. Was she in error?
Now, I said earlier it was 'nuns' plural. But really- from what we remember- it was our 6th grade nun, Just one, who was allot younger than the other 5 or 6 older ones. But they all lived together, so I assumed they were all on the same page on this.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#492031 Nov 15, 2013
The concept of limbo dates back 1500 years to the conflict between Pelagius and St. Augustine.

Pelagius asserted that man is not wounded by original sin and is capable of achieving salvation through his natural reason and will alone.

St. Augustine held that after the Fall from grace, as the result of Original Sin,human nature was deeply wounded, corrupted, disordered, changed, mutable, given to concupiscence, born guilty and selfish.

But what about infants who are wounded or stained by Original Sin and die before being baptized?
the idea of

A special place for unbaptized infants was proposed.

This concept of Limbo passed through intricate phases of development.

Augustine and the African Fathers postulated that unbaptized infants share in the common misery of the damned. However their punishment is the mildest of all.

In response to the Pelagian heresy, Augustine persuaded the Council of Carthage (418) to condemn, the the existence of "an intermediate place, or of any place anywhere at all in which children who pass out of this life unbaptized live in happiness"

Gregory of Nazianzus asserted children dying without baptism are excluded of seeing God face to face

In 1201 Pope Innocent III in a letter stated original sin, however, is punished by the loss of the vision of God.

By the thirteenth century, this view was dominant.

Abelard: rejected material torment/retained only the pain of loss as the punishment of original sin
Abelard's teaching was condemned by the Council of Soissons in 1140

However most of the Scholastics embraced this teaching.

Peter Lombard further popularized it

Aquinas broke away completely from the Augustinian tradition

He proposed that infants would not be troubled over their loss because they simply would have no knowledge of what they were missing.

Aquinas' view was received in the schools, almost without opposition

Augustinian teaching was revived at the Reformation, particularly by the Calvinists.

This divided Catholics into two camps.

The majority of Catholic theologians proceed with the doctrine that the children's limbo is a state of perfect natural happiness.

Some compromise with the Augustine position.

Advocates of this view argue that the Fall must have wounded nature to some degree. Some loss must been incurred. Some rights must have been lost-such as the right to perfect felicity.- However this implies no pain and no and no spiritual anguish for the loss of the beatific vision.

The key issue in dispute is the contention whether, in the state of limbo,the unbaptized child's condition is just the same as it would have been if God had not established the present supernatural order.

None of these positions were officially proclaimed by the Magisterium

All this basically was overshadowed when Pope Benedict XVI was presented with Vatican studies that said there were 'serious' grounds that such souls could go to heaven, rather than exist between heaven and hell as they have done for almost 800 years."

The Pope authorized the Roman Catholic Church's International Theological Commission on April 22, 2007 to publish a 41-page document titled: "The Hope of Salvation for Infants Who Die without Being Baptized."

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#492032 Nov 15, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Thankfully we all agree GOD us merciful .

Jesus,said,Let the Children come to Me .

Very nice ..really
HuskerDu

Falls City, NE

#492033 Nov 15, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I said in my post to you that while we believe in original sin, babies do not commit actual or personal sin. Baptism remits original sin. The Catechism is the official teaching of the Church and I prefer to go by what is stated there. It does not say that unbaptized children go to Purgatory, but rather are left to God's mercy. That is all that should be said about the matter, particularly when informing others about the faith. Our personal speculations are just that, speculations.
No one is perfect, born without sin except the Blessed Mother Mary. You are misinforming many by saying little children do not sin, they do, we are surrounded by sinful things, deeds etc. Every practicing Catholic who has a child has taught the child about sin in a way that they would understand. Children start going to confession at a very early age. I still have the little instruction book we used in primary grades explaining sin, purgatory etc. I believe what my priest says, what Benedict says about purgatory. If you could understand this, then you wouldn't be making such a big deal about babies . there is no need to.
Liam

Detroit, MI

#492034 Nov 15, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>after centuries of being led by false cults like Catholicism, people grew up.
The odd thing is, Preston, is that you offer no alternative scenario. You guys simply mumble 'Bible Bible Bible. Word of God Word of God'
Yet, you completely ignore the fact that the Holy Bible was developed. It wasn't created out of thin error!
How was it complied?
You are forced to admit it was the hierarchy of the CC that sat down and decided on the books to be included.
But you say they 'fell astray from the Bible'. Now you are forced to admit that Jesus was either a liar or his apostles didn't document it correctly when He said, "The gates of hell shall not prevail against it". Many fanatics think they found a way around this by re -defining what 'Church' means. In the end, it'll be your words in front of Jesus.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#492035 Nov 15, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
What you said was exactly what my priest said when I asked him about my daughter. Exactly!
HuskerDu

Falls City, NE

#492036 Nov 15, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
The nun that I remember anyway, said that Jesus will come to bring the unbaptized infant to Heaven. Was she in error?
Now, I said earlier it was 'nuns' plural. But really- from what we remember- it was our 6th grade nun, Just one, who was allot younger than the other 5 or 6 older ones. But they all lived together, so I assumed they were all on the same page on this.
Actually the whole thing is Christ is always with us. Even when a baby. I am sure the aborted babies are sitting on His lap. Pope Francis has been stressing we are all sinners. To think this isn't true is a sin in itself. We are all imperfect, we are all with sin even babies.

Location hidden

#492037 Nov 15, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>No one is perfect, born without sin except the Blessed Mother Mary. You are misinforming many by saying little children do not sin, they do, we are surrounded by sinful things, deeds etc. Every practicing Catholic who has a child has taught the child about sin in a way that they would understand. Children start going to confession at a very early age. I still have the little instruction book we used in primary grades explaining sin, purgatory etc. I believe what my priest says, what Benedict says about purgatory. If you could understand this, then you wouldn't be making such a big deal about babies . there is no need to.
Talking about babies! Infants!
HuskerDu

Falls City, NE

#492038 Nov 15, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="HuskerDu" <quoted text>I was taught only the perfect, the most pure can go to heaven after death. Many priests say that a cancer patient has gone through enough , has gone through the fire and goes straight to heaven, but we can't know this, this is Christ's mysteries . We all sin we are surrounded by sin, it would be very difficult for one to be born with original sin and go to heaven when we are stained with sin. Purgatory is not a bad thing. Its a place for cleansing.
----------
If those who suffer great pain (go thru the fire) go straight to heaven, a lot of very mean people will be there...
KM
Why would you equate mean people with pain? My dad suffered with cancer on and off for four years. The worst was when he was terminal, he suffered great but was never mean. We are adults and to say what you posted is very ignorant.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#492039 Nov 15, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
The odd thing is, Preston, is that you offer no alternative scenario. You guys simply mumble 'Bible Bible Bible. Word of God Word of God'
Yet, you completely ignore the fact that the Holy Bible was developed. It wasn't created out of thin error!
How was it complied?
You are forced to admit it was the hierarchy of the CC that sat down and decided on the books to be included.
But you say they 'fell astray from the Bible'. Now you are forced to admit that Jesus was either a liar or his apostles didn't document it correctly when He said, "The gates of hell shall not prevail against it". Many fanatics think they found a way around this by re -defining what 'Church' means. In the end, it'll be your words in front of Jesus.
sorry clay but Christians do offer an alternative to cult members such as yourself. IT IS CALLED THE TRUTH THAT ONLY COMES FROM THE BIBLE
Liam

Detroit, MI

#492040 Nov 15, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Thankfully we all agree GOD us merciful .
Jesus,said,Let the Children come to Me .
Very nice ..really
I would extend that to people other than children. For example, Muslims, Jews and indigenous tribes. IF they've never heard about Jesus or Baptism, then we have to trust in the infinite love and mercy of God. There is no other way around it if we as Christians are going to call God Love.
Cisco Kid

Sonora, CA

#492041 Nov 15, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>after centuries of being led by false cults like Catholicism, people grew up.
People grew up?
Please explain.
Are you endorsing secular moralism?
Are you pushing fifty shades of grey?
Are you selling progressive atheism?

Sounds more to me you're ignorantly blurting an unfounded epithet trying to sound intelligent, but intellectually, you never 'grew up'.

Don't worry, attaplowboy, God even loves the stupid.
Just ask a priest, you might learn something.

Location hidden

#492042 Nov 15, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text> Why would you equate mean people with pain? My dad suffered with cancer on and off for four years. The worst was when he was terminal, he suffered great but was never mean. We are adults and to say what you posted is very ignorant.
Not all people who have cancer are like your dad. There are many many people with cancer who are mean as a rattle snake. And just because they suffer from a terminal illness doe not give the a free ride into Heaven. I know this is not your Churches teaching
Cisco Kid

Sonora, CA

#492043 Nov 15, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>sorry clay but Christians do offer an alternative to cult members such as yourself. IT IS CALLED THE TRUTH THAT ONLY COMES FROM THE BIBLE
Well thank The Catholic Church for publishing, preserving and protecting that Bible.
Otherwise you would have no truth, billy-boy.

The Catholic Church, The Church That Jesus Built™.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#492044 Nov 15, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>No one is perfect, born without sin except the Blessed Mother Mary. You are misinforming many by saying little children do not sin, they do, we are surrounded by sinful things, deeds etc. Every practicing Catholic who has a child has taught the child about sin in a way that they would understand. Children start going to confession at a very early age. I still have the little instruction book we used in primary grades explaining sin, purgatory etc. I believe what my priest says, what Benedict says about purgatory. If you could understand this, then you wouldn't be making such a big deal about babies . there is no need to.
Mary Perfect? lol, she was just like the rest of us. or some of us. she needed a Savior. under the Law, she offered a sin offering just like others did when they came of the temple.

Mary wasn't Perfect, she was human. Jesus and Him only was Perfect.
Cisco Kid

Sonora, CA

#492046 Nov 15, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>Mary Perfect? lol, she was just like the rest of us. or some of us. she needed a Savior. under the Law, she offered a sin offering just like others did when they came of the temple.
Mary wasn't Perfect, she was human. Jesus and Him only was Perfect.
Are you asserting Jesus was born of a sinful woman?
Are you so bold to claim Jesus was born in sin?

"Amen, I say to you, all sins and all blasphemies that people utter will be forgiven them.

But whoever blasphemes against the holy Spirit will never have forgiveness, but is guilty of an everlasting sin.”

For they had said,“He has an unclean spirit.”
Mark 3: 28-30

You tread on thin ice, preston.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The untold story of Queen Elizabeth I and Islam Sun Full Muslim stupid 13
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Sun Mr Sir 10,239
News Cardinal tipped to be the next Pope warns of an... Sep 20 Looking down our ... 25
News Catholic schools being closed at alarming rate (Apr '08) Sep 11 Jeremy 158
News The Latest: Walesa misses papal Mass, blames la... Sep 10 Ste 1
News Mother Teresa declared saint by Pope Francis Sep 8 South Knox Hombre 6
News 'Unlikely that Pope Francis will go to Pristina' Sep 8 CCCC 1
More from around the web