Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 688815 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

marge

Leesburg, GA

#491556 Nov 13, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Purgatory has a strong scriptural basis.
No it doesn't just the opposite even, wow Regina you need to get yourself born-again, your mind will be renewed and in many cases your thinking will do a one-eighty.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#491557 Nov 13, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Or....one has stock in a carpet cleaning company..lol
"typical Christian love that you love to share."
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#491558 Nov 13, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Sooo your telling me that a news company as huge as CNN can afford to post news without checking there sources for the truth and risk being sued by the Vatican? Well, if indeed cnn has got it wrong then we all should be hearing pretty soon how the Vatican will demand an apology from cnn...
Why the media keep getting Pope Francis all wrong
By Phil Lawler | November 07, 2013 10:02 AM
http://www.catholicculture.org/commentary/otn...

United States

#491559 Nov 13, 2013
guest wrote:
@Seraphima: Worse than slandering the Church - they slander God, Jesus, Holy Spirit AND Peter by accepting that Peter was the first Pope who could go DIRECTLY against the very words of Jesus Christ himself and even choose to re-write what Jesus said. Matthew 23:9 is perfect example. "Call no man Father" ... Jesus Christ himself said it FOR A REASON. They can't seem to comprehend that completely re-writing what Jesus adamantly said AND taking upon themselves the title of Father which God gave himself puts them on the level with deity and that this is nothing short of brazen, in your face, blasphemy ...all the while ordering and torturing "HERETICS".
-
@Clay: Expecting VICTIMS of the Pope to apologize TO the Pope - is arrogance beyond belief. I suppose you will next expect the altar boys who were raped by priests - who insist on being called Father - to apologize, too, for what, I don't know! being boys?
Funny (NOT funny, funny haha - but funny, funny sad) in Islam women who have been raped and become pregnant can be beheaded for the act of 'adultry'. No wonder they rarely report being raped. Were the altar boys guilty of adultery ..in Catholic eyes? Catholic women suffered death, like Muslim women, if they became pregnant as a result of rape. In the Catholic mind the victim is always at fault.
-
-
Liam wrote:
Do you have any links from normal historians that show how the pope ordered the murder of millions; catholics murdered millions.
How about thousands? Anything?
When I was turning my life around I was told to not be catholic because they added to the Bible. The opposite was true.
I was told the pope ordered the murder and torture of millions. The opposite was true . It was Protestants who did it.
I was told we worship Mary. Not true.
I could go on and on. You guys have not got one stinking accusation correct. Then when you're shown your lie, you ignore it and carry on spreading it with even more anger.
"There are but a hundred people in this country who truly hate the Catholic Church.. But there are millions more who hate what they think is the Catholic Church"
~ Archbishop Fulton Sheen ~
-
-
You have been provided with link after link, Clay - you never read them. And then you do what you always do - follow the Pope or someone else who is following the Pope (priests for instance).
-
Why?
-
Because you say the Popes ALL follow Peter ... in unbroken succession!
Well then, show me where Peter ordered the torture and murder of heretics and please provide a link for your assertion.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#491560 Nov 13, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
And YOU know all about that Christian love don't you...

Location hidden

#491561 Nov 13, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Just using some of that Catholic Christian love that YOu all spread around here.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#491562 Nov 13, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
No it doesn't just the opposite even, wow Regina you need to get yourself born-again, your mind will be renewed and in many cases your thinking will do a one-eighty.
Actually, it does, Marge. And thank you very much but I have already been born of water and the spirit just as Christ commanded. You wouldn't like it if I told you to get out of that cult you belong to and become a real Christian, now would you? It wouldn't be very nice, just as what you said to me isn't very nice.

Speaking of being nice, what do you think of someone who constantly accuses others of making personal attacks and then turns right around and personally insults someone? Pretty hypocritical, right?

I think my job is done here. Have a good week, Marge. Take care of yourself.

:)
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#491563 Nov 13, 2013
marge wrote:
"The Vatican issued a document Tuesday restating its belief that the Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ."
Is that you in the pick oldjg:)
HA HA. You are very funny. Have a great night and God bless.

Location hidden

#491564 Nov 13, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it does, Marge. And thank you very much but I have already been born of water and the spirit just as Christ commanded. You wouldn't like it if I told you to get out of that cult you belong to and become a real Christian, now would you? It wouldn't be very nice, just as what you said to me isn't very nice.
Speaking of being nice, what do you think of someone who constantly accuses others of making personal attacks and then turns right around and personally insults someone? Pretty hypocritical, right?
and what do you think of someone that pretends to be someone their not??
truth

Hahndorf, Australia

#491565 Nov 13, 2013
wide way
is pride =corupt way
marge

Leesburg, GA

#491566 Nov 13, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't been a member of a church for almost twenty years Regina I get all my beliefs from the Bible alone and Worship with others who do the same, mostly my family and extended family, though they all belong to Bible alone churches me and the husband do not.

As far as the other goes All of you are childish and not Born-again, baby Christians at best.

You take care too Regina, I care about you.

“New Life”

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#491567 Nov 13, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Vatican is going to display the relics of Saint Peter this week. First time ever.
He was buried in Rome where he died and after Constantine legalized Christianity, he allowed for a Basilica to be built on top of him and other first century Christian Martyrs.
Many fanatics argue that Peter was never in Rome because they erroneously claim that everything about Christianity - including the whereabouts of the Apostles- is detailed in scripture. That's obviously ridiculous.
Anyway, Peter went to Rome and the second and third generation of Christians wrote about it. Its not recorded in scripture.
Your church of Christ doesn't make sense. You can't trace it before the 19th century. You have no church fathers, no early writings, no historic facts, no martyrs, no record of anything and no normal historian that would ever agree of this mysterious hidden church of Christ...
Most c.o.c members I've met are sincere guys. I think you are too. I believe you honestly love the Lord. I have to confront you when I see anti catholic rhetoric though.
Imo, if your church of Christ was legit, it should be able to stand on her own two feet without trashing Catholicism. Same goes for everyone else, its like nobody can have a faith unless they incorporate anti Catholic rhetoric along with their opinions on sacred scripture.
God bless.
What kind of relics? If he was killed, were these things kept by other
Disciples? I did not know they had a lot left.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#491568 Nov 13, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#491569 Nov 13, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>and what do you think of someone that pretends to be someone their not??
What, that Husker posts under different names? That's her business. From what I can see, it's pretty easy to figure out who it is especially since her location is always the same. From what Rose has said, she posts under lots of different names and they have a history which it's better to stay out of. I really don't pay that much attention to their squabbles, most here don't. Besides, "she hit me first" is no excuse, Rose.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#491570 Nov 13, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
All I was trying to say was that we never got an apology in return. 20 yrs before the sacking of Constantinople,(in Constantinople) the orthodox raided a Catholic neighborhood and slaughtered innocents. They put the head of the bishop on a rope and drug it through the streets. Did we get an apology for that? Catholics take the high road and acknowledge our past faults.
And yes Sera, I do believe we are on the verge of unification. For many yrs the Orthodox were trapped behind the iron curtain and in Muslim countries. They didn't have access to historic truths. Its different now... And amongst the eastern Orthodox are eastern rite Catholics in communion with Pope Francis. That certainly helps the dialogue.
==========

Eastern Catholics are drawn in two directions by competing loyalties that continue to cloud and confuse their church identities

1 Are they basically Orthodox Christians living autonomously in communion with the Pope?

2 Are they wholly Catholic in submission to Rome but allowed their historic Eastern spiritual and liturgical traditions?

3 Or are they somewhere in the middle?

Many Orthodox are fearful of being overshadowed by Rome and forfeiting their distinct traditions in a world dominated by the Latin church. while other Eastern Catholic Churches have acquired Latin customs at the expense of their own. Neither case is an ideal example of how union with Rome should work.

Each Eastern Catholic has their own conception of their relationship with the Pope in Rome. Some envision him only as a “first among equals.” Others say conceive him as the court of last resort used only when Eastern Catholic churches ask him to step in.

What the Eastern Catholic believe is the case and what Rome expects may be significantly at variance.

Rome has gradually become more respectful of Eastern Catholics’ traditions, including Pope John Paul II Apostolic letter Orientale Lumen the late Pope John Paul II. Vatican 2 also reaffirmed the preservation of the unique practices and traditions of the Eastern Catholic Church.

The 1990 Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches specifies for Eastern Christians to be in communion with Rome, they must accept as doctrine but not necessarily teach certain Roman Catholic beliefs such as papal infallibility ex cathedra, the dogmas of the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption, indulgences, purgatory, etc

What does this mean?

How does an Eastern Catholic whose beliefs conflict with Catholic dogma to himself as Catholic?
Many of them deny the Immaculate Conception, Papal Infallibility and Universal Jurisdiction, the Filioque

For example, Kyr Elias Zoghby and the Melkite Synod of Bishops in the "Zoghby Initiative".prifessed that

1."I believe everything that Orthodoxy teaches; and
2. I am in communion with the Bishop of Rome as first among equals according to the limits recognized by the Holy Fathers of the East during the first millenium, before the separation."

Or some claim “no problem” with these dogmas or Councils, but it only because they understand and interpret this dogma in a way that is absolutely differently from as defined and understood by Holy Mother Church.

It requires more than tweaking words and their definitions to squeeze into the system and call it "unity"

As we learn from the precedent of the Eastern Catholics, true unity requires more than Orthodox and Roman Catholic bishops visiting and being polite to each other. The unity of the Church is attained and manifested in the unity of faith.,Dogmatic agreement is a necessary criterion. Dogmatic unity blossoms into full True Unity.

Orthodoxy's criteria for unity requires identity of faith, order, and worship.

We must not repeat the precedent of the Eastern Catholics

Location hidden

#491571 Nov 13, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
What, that Husker posts under different names? That's her business. From what I can see, it's pretty easy to figure out who it is especially since her location is always the same. From what Rose has said, she posts under lots of different names and they have a history which it's better to stay out of. I really don't pay that much attention to their squabbles, most here don't. Besides, "she hit me first" is no excuse, Rose.
Thought you were leaving?? And I wasn't talking about them

“New Life”

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#491572 Nov 13, 2013
I just saw these links on another site, more far out than this about what divides Catholic and Protestants .
It seems far out But strangely prophetic?

http://thecommonsenseshow.com/2013/06/29/why-...

Here is the forum. This one you have is mild. Take heart ?
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/catholic/...

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#491573 Nov 13, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
The poop says there is no such place!!!!

CNS STORY: Purgatory is a process, not a place, pope says at ...
www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1100116... ;
Jan 12, 2011 - Purgatory is a process, not a place, pope says at general audience ... a painful experience of regret for one's sins, Pope Benedict XVI said.
Dr Kojoe

Plymouth, MA

#491574 Nov 13, 2013
The catholics don't practise true Christanity, the way Jesus taught us. They have hundreds of different idols they worship and bow down to. Jesus is the ONLY one we are supposed to do obiesence to. Not even his earthly mother Mary should be worshiped and catholics even invented a prayer for her..Hail Mary.
My wife loves it because her name is Mary and wants me to Hail her..lol..Dogma and Apostate teachings run through her veins. Jesus never supported the RCC teachings of him and history proves that with out a doubt.IMO,the RCC is a worship church of the devil.
Show me where the RCC is a christian religoun?
Praying to Jesus is NOT the Important thing in true Christanity. It is living the way he did.[ie] Worship in Spirit & Truth...And that means No Figurines like Statue worship."Get out of her my people if you don't want to suffer her plagues" Rev 18:4

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#491575 Nov 13, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Vatican is going to display the relics of Saint Peter this week. First time ever.
He was buried in Rome where he died and after Constantine legalized Christianity, he allowed for a Basilica to be built on top of him and other first century Christian Martyrs.
Many fanatics argue that Peter was never in Rome because they erroneously claim that everything about Christianity - including the whereabouts of the Apostles- is detailed in scripture. That's obviously ridiculous.
Anyway, Peter went to Rome and the second and third generation of Christians wrote about it. Its not recorded in scripture.
Your church of Christ doesn't make sense. You can't trace it before the 19th century. You have no church fathers, no early writings, no historic facts, no martyrs, no record of anything and no normal historian that would ever agree of this mysterious hidden church of Christ...
Most c.o.c members I've met are sincere guys. I think you are too. I believe you honestly love the Lord. I have to confront you when I see anti catholic rhetoric though.
Imo, if your church of Christ was legit, it should be able to stand on her own two feet without trashing Catholicism. Same goes for everyone else, its like nobody can have a faith unless they incorporate anti Catholic rhetoric along with their opinions on sacred scripture.
God bless.
C'mon Liam...you know full well that there is no factual evidence to base that claim on. Roman Catholic archaeologists found a 1st century "bone box' in Jerusalem in the 50's named "Simon Bar Jona" (peter), and had no choice but to hush it up as best as possible, and (in order to keep it's claim of aposotlic succession credible) had to find bones from the area under the basilica from that era. Which was actually a middle class non christian burial street(common Romans).
What is presented as actuality is tantamount of the story of "The Emperor's New Clothes".
What you are accusing the Protestants of is equally true of the Catholic church as well.
The evidence does not exist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Oct 11 Married in 10,646
News Pope Francis Denounces Gender Confirmation Surg... Oct 9 TerriB1 1
News Paul Is No Inventor of Christianity, Says Pope (Sep '08) Oct 2 The Bible Student 81
News Boston cardinal, Jewish leaders have Holocaust ... (Feb '09) Sep '17 Tom Fontaine 42
News Catholic clergy fires back after Bannon criticism Sep '17 South Knox Hombre 1
News Evangelical Trump supporters want meeting with ... Aug '17 Ms Sassy 1
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Aug '17 -Prince Of Darkness- 84,837
More from around the web