Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 690470 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#489428 Nov 7, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"-OZ
My favorite movie of all time...besides Gone with the Wind..lol
Liam

Detroit, MI

#489429 Nov 7, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
COPIES ?????really...And you people laughed at me for saying they had to have copied these letters,..sent to divers places ..And passed them on to other Churches ...And to protect the content in Time of persecution ...INAGINE THAT . COPIES....
You folks,.
And how,MANY MANUSCRIPTS perished when JERUSALEM FELL
There are no original writings of any of the 73 Books of the Bible. I'm not sure why you're freaking out. I'm certainly not demeaning the sacred scriptures by pointing out a fact.
I stated that Ignatius' letters are still around in original form; his actual writings.
That doesn't mean its above the Bible. I hope you didn't think I was implying that.

Its like this, Rose: Everyone was bickering back and forth about baptism today. About what the Apostles taught; which is the correct interpretations and by whom. All the stupid fighting could be settled if you guys would see how the Apostles' Disciples understood what they heard.
y'all all refuse to do this for reasons I do not know. it tells me ya ain't that devout in your Christian faith though. Comfortably protestant, but not a devout obedient Christian.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#489430 Nov 7, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>Quit blaspheming the mother of God. Mary never was in a brothel, had anything to do with a brothel. SHAME ON YOU. You are not a Christian at all.
DID YOU BOTHER TO READ THE POST I WAS,DEFENDING HIS,MOTHER TO...NO

YOU JUST ATTACK ...

That after was,discounting the birth of our LORD TO THE VIRGIN MARY ..

That would to me be closer to blasphemy ...But keep going .

Make His point ..go ahead agree with JURIST...KNIT ......as,you are,doing that by disagreeing with me .......as,all you are,interested in is,going against WHAT I POST .

Over and,over,. Day after day ..keep on

ENJOY WHAT HE SAID....

He,was wrong and,so are you
Liam

Detroit, MI

#489431 Nov 7, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>The Catholic Church has no choice but to recognize the Orthodox Church because they can trace their roots back to Christ. And as you know, the Orthodox Churches claim is that IT is the true Church that Christ founded. The Orthodox Church also recognize Peter as the Bishop of Rome but NOT the universal Bishop . He was first among equals in honor of respect among Bishops. Period.. Where did you hear that the Orthodox Church viewed your last three popes as legitimate successors to Peter? How can the Orthodox Church make such a statement when they don't believe in the Popes?? State your source please...
I attended a theology on tap night with a Priest from a Catholic Church in St. Louis park MN. He spent time in Istanbul (Constantinople) while on his way to Rome. The Orthodox Priests he met asked him to give their love to the successor of Peter. The reason: they know Peter had a legitimate successor. The Bishop of Rome. They never said 'Pope'. But they don't dispute that Francis is Peters successor the Bishop of Rome.

Location hidden

#489432 Nov 7, 2013
The Pope is a successor to Peter in a historical sense. He holds a See that's has a special historical relationship with Peter. Ancient Popes if Rome recognized this and spoke of the "Chair of Saint Peter" as a Chair which existed in three places. Rome. Antioch. Alexandra. You will find this in St.Gregory The Great's writings. All Bishops fulfill the Petrine ministry of presiding at the Eucharistic Assembly.
truth

Perth, Australia

#489433 Nov 7, 2013
i am not recognize anything
until you find what is lost value in person..

i am within you..

then where is that
look Vulcan look rain look water
one day
all its will be gone
yeeeeee
where you will find your buildings

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#489434 Nov 7, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no original writings of any of the 73 Books of the Bible. I'm not sure why you're freaking out. I'm certainly not demeaning the sacred scriptures by pointing out a fact.
I stated that Ignatius' letters are still around in original form; his actual writings.
That doesn't mean its above the Bible. I hope you didn't think I was implying that.
Its like this, Rose: Everyone was bickering back and forth about baptism today. About what the Apostles taught; which is the correct interpretations and by whom. All the stupid fighting could be settled if you guys would see how the Apostles' Disciples understood what they heard.
y'all all refuse to do this for reasons I do not know. it tells me ya ain't that devout in your Christian faith though. Comfortably protestant, but not a devout obedient Christian.
Yes,and,for two days,you guys,were making a,joke about me,saying there,were copies,of Paul's,Letters .

And your buddy here,accusing me of blasphemy because of a typo I IMMEDIATELY CORRECTED ...

instead of either one of you defending Jesus,birth to that poster ....

Mary WAS,A,modest JEWISH WOMAN...

it's,like,a big gotcha,..instead of common sense..

And,defending y our CHURCH...th BY men .more important th a a,basic test of OUR COMMON FAITH ...

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#489436 Nov 7, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
I attended a theology on tap night with a Priest from a Catholic Church in St. Louis park MN. He spent time in Istanbul (Constantinople) while on his way to Rome. The Orthodox Priests he met asked him to give their love to the successor of Peter. The reason: they know Peter had a legitimate successor. The Bishop of Rome. They never said 'Pope'. But they don't dispute that Francis is Peters successor the Bishop of Rome.
Correct.

The Roman Church declared their Bishop to be the supreme head of all Christendom.
Much like Paul declared himself an Apostle and then the supreme authority on Earth.

Not everyone accepted either had the authority to do so.... and still don't.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#489438 Nov 7, 2013
I declare myself to be the supreme authority on all things regarding God.

Thus it is a fact!

ROFLMAO

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#489439 Nov 7, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>Rose, Mary knew Jesus is God. She knew going in . She knew because she is the Immaculate Conception. We pray and Mary is the closest to Christ, She delivers our prayers straight to Him.
That was,NOT the, POINT OF THE,POST ...READ,HIS,..

HE,thinks,that the,whole account of the birth is,false,..

I know who MARY is ..

But you want again to focus,on ME ..

Have fun

Let him.go against everything we believe for a gotcha,on a typo

Congrats,bravo

Goodbye

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#489441 Nov 7, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
At this point in her life, she'd do good to run to any church. Even if its your modern church of Christ. Even if its the SDAs. Anything but atheism!
Having said that, I barely glance at her rapid 'round the clock posts anymore. Nobody does. i suggest you don't fuel the fire.
SDA along with every other church known to man is a false church teaching false doctrine. The Church of Christ is the church that the bible speaks of being built by Jesus, Matthew 16;18. The church of the bible was opened in the year 33AD when the Lord added the first members of the Church of Christ which added to 3,000,Acts 2 37-38, New Living Translation
Those who believed what Peter said were baptized and added to the church that day--about 3,000 in all.
I can only tell you the truth my friend.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#489442 Nov 7, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct.
The Roman Church declared their Bishop to be the supreme head of all Christendom.
Much like Paul declared himself an Apostle and then the supreme authority on Earth.
Not everyone accepted either had the authority to do so.... and still don't.
What's your problem with Paul being an Apostle?

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#489443 Nov 7, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Only catholics believe that your church is the True Church no other faith agrees with them and that includes the Orthodox Church
Exactly And the,Church is so much more important than Jesus,obviously.

Casting doubt on scripture while upholding some,early bishops,writings,.

Telling me I'm.blasphemous because of a typo .

I was,trying to EXPLAIN

WHY THE CIRCUMSTANCES OF JESUS,BIRTH was,not talked about in all 're GOSPELS

THEY had privacy ...Mary was,not tweeting hee private,business..to a,bunch of men

Obviously GOD WANTED HER TO REVEAL ALL THAT HAPPENED ...,when we,obviously spoke to LUKE

BUT that's,not important to them..
Liam

Detroit, MI

#489444 Nov 7, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
The Pope is a successor to Peter in a historical sense. He holds a See that's has a special historical relationship with Peter. Ancient Popes if Rome recognized this and spoke of the "Chair of Saint Peter" as a Chair which existed in three places. Rome. Antioch. Alexandra. You will find this in St.Gregory The Great's writings. All Bishops fulfill the Petrine ministry of presiding at the Eucharistic Assembly.
That's what I was saying.

So really the question is: Did Jesus Christ set up His Church with Peter as the earthly head. And if so, would his successor in turn be the head? It appears so if you read some of the early writings by the Bishop of Rome, as well as St. Jerome and Augustine.
These are things being discussed by both of our Churches today. I think the schism will end in my lifetime. The whole split was stupid anyway. It had more to do with culture and language than sound doctrine.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#489445 Nov 7, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
And,hoe,do WE,KNOW,there are,NO ORIGINAL SCRIPTURES ....eh o knows what's buried in your vaults,..

But then again I'm.the silly woman who thought they might keep copies,..send them to other Churches ..of the letters,.And the,GOSPELS ..THANK GOD ...to spread the WORD and protect them

I believe someone used the idea I thought there was a Xerox machine ..

And only GOD KNOWS WHAT WAS DESTROYED when Jerusalem burned

Location hidden

#489446 Nov 7, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly And the,Church is so much more important than Jesus,obviously.
Casting doubt on scripture while upholding some,early bishops,writings,.
Telling me I'm.blasphemous because of a typo .
I was,trying to EXPLAIN
WHY THE CIRCUMSTANCES OF JESUS,BIRTH was,not talked about in all 're GOSPELS
THEY had privacy ...Mary was,not tweeting hee private,business..to a,bunch of men
Obviously GOD WANTED HER TO REVEAL ALL THAT HAPPENED ...,when we,obviously spoke to LUKE
BUT that's,not important to them..
Rose that woman is trying to get under your skin. She understand full what you were trying to say but she rather focus on her personal vendetta that she has for you..Pity the poor woman that she has only YOU as entertainment LOL
Liam

Detroit, MI

#489447 Nov 7, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> SDA along with every other church known to man is a false church teaching false doctrine. The Church of Christ is the church that the bible speaks of being built by Jesus, Matthew 16;18. The church of the bible was opened in the year 33AD when the Lord added the first members of the Church of Christ which added to 3,000,Acts 2 37-38, New Living Translation
Those who believed what Peter said were baptized and added to the church that day--about 3,000 in all.
I can only tell you the truth my friend.
Those 3,000 joined the Universal Church of Christ.
Universal means Catholic. They were Catholics.
you said:
"those who believed what Peter said were Baptized"

How about you study what those people wrote? Then you wouldn't need to go on a Bible verse scavenger hunt.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignatius_of_Antioch

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#489448 Nov 7, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Rose that woman is trying to get under your skin. She understand full what you were trying to say but she rather focus on her personal vendetta that she has for you..Pity the poor woman that she has only YOU as entertainment LOL
So true,..And I really think I'm.right about MARY and the brethren trying to take,Jesus,home .

She,knew who HE,WAS,..But she,was a woman ..And I've no doubt the others,were worked up ..

As a,mother shed,prefer Him safe,...as,HIS,miter she knew,what He had to do...Well at least part of it ...

If she'd known in advance of the,Crucifixion..it would have,broken her heart way before it was time ....

We were not there,..But we know,she,loved Him.

Location hidden

#489449 Nov 7, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I was saying.
So really the question is: Did Jesus Christ set up His Church with Peter as the earthly head. And if so, would his successor in turn be the head? It appears so if you read some of the early writings by the Bishop of Rome, as well as St. Jerome and Augustine.
These are things being discussed by both of our Churches today. I think the schism will end in my lifetime. The whole split was stupid anyway. It had more to do with culture and language than sound doctrine.
In my opinion the issue of primacy is too conflicting and confusing for the east and the west to ever agree on a definition that works in practice . The two churches has been talking for over 50 years.....

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#489450 Nov 7, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
One of the earliest Christian texts extant is a genuine letter from Paul to the Corinthians. At 1 Corinthians 15:3-5 he writes:
<quoted text>
This is a kerygma, a programmatic statement of faith. While Paul's letter is genuine -- his effort from around 50 AD -- the words in the above passage are not his. They represent a well-worn statement of faith, something he "received" and merely is repeating.
It is a statement as old -- or nearly so -- as Christianity itself.
Notice this kerygma is devoid of any reference to a virgin birth. A virgin birth was not necessary to the faith of the earliest Christians. Indeed, it was not known to them.
Fast forward to Mark, written around 70 AD. In Mark, a polemic against the Jerusalem Assembly, Jesus' family is antagonistic to him. In Mark 3, for example, the following passage is found:
<quoted text>
Odd that, given the annunciation found in Luke 1:
<quoted text>
So Mary, having been told by an angel of the special mission of her son in Luke 1, thinks her son is nuts when he engages in that mission in Mark 3. And early Christians exclude any reference to a virgin birth in one of their earliest statements of faith found in the first letter of Paul to the Corinthians.
Why?
Because, as Raymond Brown notes, the infancy narratives represent a late layer of tradition incorporated in the gospels -- an afterthought that in many respects was inconsistent with the earlier tradition recorded in Mark. The annunciation is part of that later tradition and something not known to the earliest Christians or to the author of Mark, a gospel entirely silent about Jesus' birth -- let alone any miracle birth.
An early Christmas gift from Chess and re-post from another thread.
Thank you CJ.
Most interesting ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 36 min Married in 10,658
News John Paul I Closer to Sainthood as Book Debunks... Nov 12 South Knox Hombre 1
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Nov 8 Feeling Abandoned 37
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... (Apr '15) Nov 2 whirlignmerc 11
News War, religion and tolerance Oct 30 The Bible Student 1
News Pope Francis Denounces Gender Confirmation Surg... Oct '17 TerriB1 1
News Paul Is No Inventor of Christianity, Says Pope (Sep '08) Oct '17 The Bible Student 81
More from around the web