Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 688574 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Dawson Creek, Canada

#487856 Nov 3, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are moving the goalpost now.
You said: "I believe".
"I believe" means the same thing as "I have a concept of truth." That is not claiming that I am posting truth when I post anything that I write or that another author writes.

I simply post opinions of other authors and sometimes my own ... as do you.

But on more than a few of your posts you insinuate that when I find out the real history, I will know this or that. I don't believe you know any more than anyone else what is true and what isn't.

History is all opinions and opinions are simply points of view.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#487857 Nov 3, 2013
who="hojo"]
Why do Protestants become Catholic?
As a convert it from Protestantism to Catholicism, it was a matter of authority--who has it and why. That may seem rather dry reasoning, but it wasn't for me. When I was a Pentecostalist I lived by the whim of my pastor. Whatever he taught us we believed even though he had no more authority to do that than any other man on the street. He may have had more Bible study, but understood from a very restricted point of view that ignored centuries of history as well as the Church Fathers of the first centuries. And this lack of authority led to inaccurate and even damaging beliefs.
If only the truth can set us free then I think we have the right to have the truth--the whole truth and not just what a Protestant denomination wants to accept of what was taught by the Church Christ himself founded--the Catholic Church. Nor skewed beliefs made up by men who oppose the Church merely because it teaches what they don't want to believe, even though Jesus himself gave the Church the full authority to discern what is true teaching from what isn't.

----------
Now I see why you try so hard. If you were Pentecostal, you KNOW that the Holy Spirit IS THE AUTHORITY...no man of flesh can take that place.

KayMarie
Liam

Detroit, MI

#487858 Nov 3, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL....
Your problem is you DO NOT accept the whole TRUTH from the Word of God.....
It's right in front of you, Clay....
"Beloved, let us love one another, for love is God, and He who loves is BORN OF GOD and knows God"
John 4:7

Tell me, truth, is it possible for Muslims or Jews to love?

"He who does not love, does not know God"
John 4:8

Did you read that? He who loves is BORN OF GOD. Born again perhaps?
Why don't you let God decide who'll be saved and stop running around condemning people He loves to hell.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#487859 Nov 3, 2013
Liam wrote:
Truth, and all other born again evangelicals, there is no Bible verse that can undo the basic understanding of God. He's infinite Love and Mercy; Justice and truth. How dare you people misuse sacred scripture to create a different image of the Lord. You guys are some of the most stubborn ignorant humans I've ever encountered. The Bible is not to be read by first removing reason and logic..
If God is perfect love, then He does not toss souls to hell just based on skin color and language. Who are you people?
What are you talking about, Clay?

I haven't misused any scriptures.....

You just refuse to believe what is there......

I never said anything about skin color and language.....you have pulled that out of the air concerning my post.....

Here is the scriptures again:

2 Thessalonians 1:7-9

7 and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels.

8 <<<<<He will punish those who DO NOT KNOW GOD and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.>>>>>

9 ~~~~~They will be punished with everlasting destruction and SHUT OUT from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might~~~~~

Clay....look at VERSE 8....

This is NOT me talking....duhhhh....

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#487860 Nov 3, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
From the book …“The Golden Bough” by James Frazer
The Burning of Men and Animals in the Fires.
We have still to ask, What is the meaning of such sacrifices? Why were men and animals burnt to death at these festivals? If we are right in interpreting the modern European fire-festivals as attempts to break the power of witchcraft by burning or banning the witches and warlocks, it seems to follow that we must explain the human sacrifices of the Celts in the same manner; that is, we must suppose that the men whom the Druids burnt in wicker-work images were condemned to death on the ground that they were witches or wizards, and that the mode of execution by fire was chosen because burning alive is deemed the surest mode of getting rid of these noxious and dangerous beings. The same explanation would apply to the cattle and wild animals of many kinds which the Celts burned along with the men. They, too, we may conjecture, were supposed to be either under the spell of witchcraft of actually to be the witches and wizards, who had transformed themselves into animals for the purpose of prosecuting their infernal plots against the welfare of their fellow-creatures.
Tacitus describes "human sacrifices" among the Germanii as basically executing heinous criminals.
Something still done in the USA to this very day.

Now, If they wish to discount Tacitus then they need to pitch his commentary on Christianity as well.

Poor theist morons always manage to slit their own apologetic throats.
June VanDerMark

Dawson Creek, Canada

#487861 Nov 3, 2013
I agree that many writings of other groups were destroyed by the Catholic hierarchy. But I suggest that the Gnostic literature was based on archaic superstitious nonsense, as was all religious literature back then.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

From the book,“The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire,” by Edward Gibbon,(Coyright 1963, by Frank C. Bourne … comes the following…….

The Gnostics blended with the faith of Christ many sublime but obscure tenets, which they derived from oriental philosophy, and even from the religion of Zoroaster, concerning the eternity of matter, the existence of the two principles, and the mysterious hierarchy of the invisible world. As soon as they launched out into the vast abyss, they delivered themselves to the guidance of disordered imagination; and as the paths of error are various and infinite, the Gnostics were imperceptibly divided into more than fifty particular sects, of whom the most celebrated appear to have been the Basilidians, the Valentinians, the Marcionites, and, in a still later period, the Manichaeaens. Each of these sects could boast of its bishops and congregations, of its doctors and martyrs; and, instead of the Four Gospels adopted by the church, the heretics produced a multitude of histories, in which the actions and discourses of Christ and his apostles were adapted to their respective tenets.

truth

Perth, Australia

#487862 Nov 3, 2013
be bless who is poor
be bless who is prosecuted
be bless who have pure heart
June VanDerMark

Dawson Creek, Canada

#487863 Nov 3, 2013
The Manichaeaens was the Gnostic sect to which Augustine previously belonged before he joined up with the Catholics to leave his child and mother of his child to their own demise, when he turned on them as heretics under the guiding arm of the pope.

He was something else ... that fellow!!!
Liam

Detroit, MI

#487864 Nov 3, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>your last sentence can also apply to some Catholic here also Clay..
No it can't. Well it could, but not about the faith, and it wouldn't be 'some Catholics' it would be All Catholics who'd be wrong.
We don't privately interpret scripture and form our own doctrines and dogmas. Therefore, we are unified on Christianity in the Universal Church. One faith. One fold. So if one of us is wrong about the faith, we all are. All 1.3 billion including Pope Francis
If one lie gets into the Church, Satan would have prevailed. Therefore the Church is all correct or not at all.
(I'm speaking about matters of faith and morals not disciplines or rules)

“"None shall pass"”

There

#487865 Nov 3, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
I agree that many writings of other groups were destroyed by the Catholic hierarchy. But I suggest that the Gnostic literature was based on archaic superstitious nonsense, as was all religious literature back then.....
Many Biblical scholars classify the Gospel of John and Revelation as Gnostic.

Interesting that they are the texts most quoted by "Christian Fundamentalists" and Southern Baptists. Meanwhile, Catholicism focuses on the Pagan religion of Paul.

Very little of Jesus in Christianity except as either a "Jew on a Stick" or a "Magic Ghost".

"Jesus wept"

“"None shall pass"”

There

#487866 Nov 3, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
The Manichaeaens was the Gnostic sect to which Augustine previously belonged before he joined up with the Catholics to leave his child and mother of his child to their own demise, when he turned on them as heretics under the guiding arm of the pope.
He was something else ... that fellow!!!
He was a good Christian!

"Lie for Jesus! Kill for God!" - Christianity
truth

Perth, Australia

#487867 Nov 3, 2013
-don't be shame of Cross INRI
Liam

Detroit, MI

#487868 Nov 3, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said anything about skin color and language.....you have pulled that out of the air concerning my post.....
Here is the scriptures again:
2 Thessalonians 1:7-9
7 and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels.
8 <<<<<He will punish those who DO NOT KNOW GOD and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.>>>>>
9 ~~~~~They will be punished with everlasting destruction and SHUT OUT from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might~~~~~
Clay....look at VERSE 8....
This is NOT me talking....duhhhh....
"He who loves is born of God and knows God"

"If we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us"

Is it possible for a Muslim or Jew to love or not?

Hopefully you'll say yes and not attempt to undo these verses with another verse. Nothin can negate God being perfect love and mercy. Got it?

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#487869 Nov 3, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
No it can't. Well it could, but not about the faith, and it wouldn't be 'some Catholics' it would be All Catholics who'd be wrong.
We don't privately interpret scripture and form our own doctrines and dogmas. Therefore, we are unified on Christianity in the Universal Church. One faith. One fold. So if one of us is wrong about the faith, we all are. All 1.3 billion including Pope Francis
If one lie gets into the Church, Satan would have prevailed. Therefore the Church is all correct or not at all.
Have to.say Liam ..You ate not unified by what I have seen on this forum even ...at least I hope not .

Using the,CHURCH as,an excuse to hurt people,??

And,all CATHOLUCS,Don't seem to see things,exactly the same .

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#487870 Nov 3, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not talking about the Faith I am talking about the ability to admit when being wrong period...(morals??)
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#487871 Nov 3, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. There is no salvation but through Jesus Christ. That's what His Church, the Catholic Church teaches. But since Our Lord is infinite Love, what do we do about the souls who've never had the opportunity to hear about the lord and make a decision to accept Him or not?
We leave their fate up to the lord. He will decide their salvation, not you. Nothing negates the title of God.
And I know you know the CC's teaching is correct on this. Every human with a conscience would agree. Your guys problem is your so damn stubborn to ever admit you were wrong.
God's home, Clay, is within you....

Church is just "an assembly of people" a GROUP OF PEOPLE who have been "CALLED OUT" and have obeyed the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#487872 Nov 3, 2013
C. S. Lewis on Picking a Church
Mark Beuving — August 30, 2012

When C. S. Lewis put pen to paper (that was more than a metaphor back then), you could typically expect something profound. As one of his most influential books, Mere Christianity has a lot of profound things to say about many important subjects. I would guess that most of the people who read Mere Christianity are already committed Christians, but Lewis actually wrote it to orient people to the faith.

Mere Christianity was designed to explain “the belief that has been common to nearly all Christians at all times.” In this particular book, Lewis intentionally avoided subjects that were debated between denominations. Those beliefs that more or less form the undisputed core of Christianity Lewis referred to as “mere” Christianity (though we must acknowledge that even deciding which elements make up this core is a huge topic of debate).

So what does this have to do with picking a church? In the Preface, Lewis uses a great illustration about a hall that opens into several rooms. The hall itself is this “mere” Christianity, the core of Christian beliefs that all denominations hold in common. So Mere Christianity is meant to bring people into the hall. As essential as it is to enter the hall, Lewis urged his readers not to stop in there.

The hall is lined with several doors, each of which opens onto a room. The rooms each represent a different denomination. For our purposes, I think it’s appropriate to think of the rooms as individual churches. Every church has its own unique feel, style, and emphases. And let’s make it a touch more personal: the hall opens onto several rooms, each of which represents a local church in your area.

Lewis urges you to pick a church, any church:

“It is in the rooms, not in the hall, that there are fires and chairs and meals. The hall is a place from which to try the various doors, not a place to live in. For that purpose the worst of the rooms (whichever that may be) is, I think, preferable.”

In our individualistic society, we may be tempted to stick with an individualized form of Christianity. No church in my area has everything exactly right, so I’ll just go it alone. I’ll believe what I want and not be constricted by the beliefs of any one church.

The hallway is important, but we can’t stop there. Enter a room and learn how that particular group of people is fleshing out the core elements of the historic Christian faith. Each has its own feel; each is attempting to faithfully live out “mere” Christianity in its unique context.

Lewis adds a few more gems to his illustration. Then he adds,“even in the hall, you must begin trying to obey the rules which are common to the whole house.” So don’t put your Christian life on hold until you find the perfect church.

And here is Lewis’ strongest exhortation:

“Above all you must be asking which door is the true one; not which pleases you best by its paint and paneling. In plain language, the question should never be:‘Do I like that kind of service?’ but ‘Are these doctrines true: Is holiness here? Does my conscience move me towards this? Is my reluctance to knock at this door due to my pride, or my mere taste, or my personal dislike of this particular door-keeper?’”

It’s not about which church best fits your tastes, it’s about which church is the right church. Lewis is acknowledging that we will come to differing conclusions on which one that is, but he encourages us to make that decision based on convictions, not preferences.

Finally, Lewis adds an important warning for those who have picked a church:

“When you have reached your own room, be kind to those who have chosen different doors and to those who are still in the hall. If they are wrong they need your prayers all the more; and if they are your enemies, then you are under orders to pray for them. That is one of the rules common to the whole house.”

K.M.
Husker Du

Falls City, NE

#487873 Nov 3, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
And gossip isn't a,sin..lying ??and no Catholic ever sinned ??
Everyone sins, rose. I see that standing up for Catholicism has got you very upset. I will always stand up for my religion. I will always defend her. Whwen posters stand up for Catholicism, i notice you and sera get very upset and start name calling. Then you blame it on me. for some reason you have gotten very vicious and I notice your personality has changed, its more like Ladi. Even your posts are not jam packed with misspelled words...Why is that?
Liam

Detroit, MI

#487874 Nov 3, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Essentially you are saying that the culture where someone happened to be born factors into their fate.
I used the words 'skin color and language' for added emphasis.
I know there are godly people pinned down inside China and Iran who've never heard the Gospel, and if they did hear it, it was likely a false gospel fed to them by the powers that be.

Is that your sincere faith, truth?? that a living soul who was led astray by a gun wielding government soldier will be held accountable as they stand before God? They never had the chance you had, so screw em?
That's madness. I believe this is proof that the Holy Spirit does not guide you to Biblical truths. I'm not taking anything away from your heartfelt relationship with the Lord. And I think you're a nice guy who means well. But He couldn't possibly be bringing you all to truth based on this discussion alone.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#487875 Nov 3, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>Everyone sins, rose. I see that standing up for Catholicism has got you very upset. I will always stand up for my religion. I will always defend her. Whwen posters stand up for Catholicism, i notice you and sera get very upset and start name calling. Then you blame it on me. for some reason you have gotten very vicious and I notice your personality has changed, its more like Ladi. Even your posts are not jam packed with misspelled words...Why is that?
she already explain to you that she is on a tablet and when I use my tablet I misspell words. heck, I misspell them when I use my laptop..lol I notice that you also misspell words? Why is that?Stand up for your church all you want. that's expected of you and the same goes for every other Christian here. They stand up or their own beliefs.The only thing that upsets me when you post is your lies about Rose and your mud slinging you do towards her....other than that this is a debate forum about the Catholic church claiming to be the True Church so expect debate from non Catholic...hugs to you and have a great evening

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Oct 11 Married in 10,646
News Pope Francis Denounces Gender Confirmation Surg... Oct 9 TerriB1 1
News Paul Is No Inventor of Christianity, Says Pope (Sep '08) Oct 2 The Bible Student 81
News Boston cardinal, Jewish leaders have Holocaust ... (Feb '09) Sep 19 Tom Fontaine 42
News Catholic clergy fires back after Bannon criticism Sep '17 South Knox Hombre 1
News Evangelical Trump supporters want meeting with ... Aug '17 Ms Sassy 1
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Aug '17 -Prince Of Darkness- 84,837
More from around the web