Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 596804 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Fraser Lake, Canada

#486577 Oct 30, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
Pope Paul VI’s 1968 Encyclical Humanae Vitae brought out the procreative dimension more explicitly:
Each and every marital act must of necessity retain its intrinsic relationship to the procreation of human life....This particular doctrine, often expounded by the magisterium of the Church, is based on the inseparable connection, established by God, which man on his own initiative may not break, between the unitive significance and the procreative significance which are both inherent to the marriage act.
St. Thomas Aquinas and the Council of Trent explain that the goals of the marriage are two: the primary goal is the procreation and education of the offspring; the secondary goal is the mutual support of the spouses, either psychologically or as a remedy for concupiscence (Summa theologiae, Supplementum, Q. 67, a. 1, ad 4th; Catechism of Trent, Part II, VII,§§ 13-14).
Pope Paul VI in his encyclical "Humanae Vitae" stated, "Each and every marriage act must remain open to the transmission of life (No. 11). The Holy Father continued, "This particular doctrine, expounded on numerous occasions by the Magisterium, is based on the inseparable connection, established by God, which man on his own initiative may not break, between the unitive significance and the procreative significance which are both inherent to the marriage pact" ("Humanae Vitae," No. 12).
Historically, procreation has been a central, if not the central, purpose for marriage. Justin
Martyr of the second century felt that the desire to procreate was the only thing that legitimized
sex even for married couples (Haas et al., 2001).
Catechism of the Catholic ChurchPart II, Section Two, Chapter 3
2366 Fecundity is a gift, an end of marriage, for conjugal love naturally tends to be fruitful. A child does not come from outside as something added on to the mutual love of the spouses, but springs from the very heart of that mutual giving, as its fruit and fulfillment. So the Church, which "is on the side of life"[150] teaches that "each and every marriage act must remain open 'per se' to the transmission of life."[151] "This particular doctrine, expounded on numerous occasions by the Magisterium, is based on the inseparable connection, established by God, which man on his own initiative may not break, between the unitive significance and the procreative significance which are both inherent to the marriage act."[152]
2367 Called to give life, spouses share in the creative power and fatherhood of God.[153] "Married couples should regard it as their proper mission to transmit human life and to educate their children; they should realize that they are thereby cooperating with the love of God the Creator and are, in a certain sense, its interpreters. They will fulfill this duty with a sense of human and Christian responsibility."[154]
The famous author Ernest Hemingway made a statement that he believed from his experience with writing. I'm paraphrasing from memory when I write that his words were ... "Never write anything too damned long."

If I see a long, long post, I tune out and go on to the next one.

But of course it's your choice to post whatever pleases you.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#486578 Oct 30, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Claypool says.....It ain't God's fault we humans completely messed up His plan.
Michael says.....Does that mean you too?
Were imperfect beings Liam. We are apt to make mistakes.
If God really had a plan he could make us any way he wanted to and nothing would ever get screwed up..........and we could all live happily ever after.
....instead........
This adam/eve story and cain killing abel and later on jesus coming and then the crowd turns against him........yada yada yada!
That's probably why all the gods are in hiding. They know they have nothing for which to BE proud!

:)

Fraser Lake, Canada

#486579 Oct 30, 2013
To damned long
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#486580 Oct 30, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
ORDERED???
By who .
You responded,to Herm after SERA,told about her grand child ..
Then said,IVF was evil ..coincidence??
Please,.no one is,fooled by your response after Seras,
I had already stated my view,..they should not make,so many..USE THEM or they should adopt the ones they have out if possible ..I think there are organizations,that try to do this,...SINCE THESE,EMBRYOS,ALREADY EXIST ...they should be allowed life .
One of you says,the method is mainly used by gay people??
Again no empathy ....
NOT destroy them ..nor use them for experiments ...
Now,you responded to Nick ..his,family is,NOT destroying any embryos .
Their grand child is not evil nor the result of anything EVIL ....You go on about things,wit no regard for families,who desperately want children ...And have born one ..And hopefully more this,way .
I think.the very fact that GOD,allowed the baby to implant and live
Means, she has a God given soul .
So why not leave it up to Him..
And no one,ORDERS me how,or who to post to..
Here we go again with the nonsense. You're fooling yourself if you think what you're saying about me isn't sinful, rose. It would really be good if you people would stop lying about me for a nice change of pace. I did NOT read her post, I had no idea about any of it, nor do I care. I don't read all the posts here, especially hers.

I refuse to argue with you. You do seem to enjoy it, though. Why is beyond me.

Now that we have the truth of the matter out in the open...IVF typically involves fetal selection. That means the killing of human life. Close your eyes to it if it makes you feel better, but your opinions are tragically uninformed.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#486581 Oct 30, 2013
As late as the early 20th century, the Catholic Church was opposed even to the rhythm method, which had been promoted by one of its priests, as a horrible crime against nature.(John T. Noonan, Jr.'s exhaustive history, Contraception: A History of Its Treatment by the Catholic Theologians and Canonists.)
==========
There was a time in the Catholic tradition, a centuries-long period that extended from the beginning of the second century to the middle of the 20th, when marriage was modeled as a procreative institution social, religious and stable institution in which a man and a woman became husband and wife to procreate children.
Their procreative activity, which defined marriage, extended not only to the production of a child but also to nurturing motherhood and fatherhood and the production of a functioning adult. Since they did not live long beyond the early adulthood of their children, marriage was therefore easily defined as lifelong.
This procreative institution is the result of a contract in which, according to the 1917 Code of Canon Law, each party gives and accepts a perpetual and exclusive right over the body for acts which are of themselves suitable for the generation of children (Canon 1081, 2).
Notice that the marriage contract was about bodies and acts; the procreative institution was not about persons and their mutual love.
==========
Pope Leo XIII, Arcanum (1880)
==========
Pietro Pacati, Tractatus dogmaticus, moralis et canonicus de matrimonio christiano (1906)
The end to which marriage is oriented in itself is twofold.... The first and foremost end is the begetting and raising of human offspring. The other, secondary end is the mutual help flowing from the strongest bond of friendship which the marital bond in itself engenders....
==========
==========
The Pastoral Constitution on the Church in the Modern World GAUDIUM ET SPES
promulgated by his Holiness, Pope Paul the VI on the 7 of December 1965 teaches how the
"Marriage is a covenant by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a
partnership of the whole of life, which, by its very nature, is ordered toward the good of the
spouses and toward the procreation and education of offspring, and which, between the baptized,
has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of sacrament.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#486582 Oct 30, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Its all baloney and made uf stuff by ancient church people centuries ago with their own power agendas. Problem is that many follow these old tales of long ago.
I agree! They get HIGHS from chastising others how to live a HOLY life ... of all the silly things.

They just have to study the humorless theologians who ordered that others should be put death for offending supposed gods, and they will see the lies in a very clear way.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#486583 Oct 30, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
"Husbands and wives "make love,"
LUST!

I suggest that if it was some form of love ... they wouldn't need to have sex. They wouldn't need anything from another human ... as their own cup would runneth over and they would be celibate and married only to one or another image of a god. Isn't that PURE holiness???

:)

Religion is silly.

Humans are going to have sex without pieces of paper written by mortals who are certain they know what's best for others.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#486584 Oct 30, 2013
I am very much aware that Vatican 2 and afterward softened the idea that procreation is the only purpose of marriage.
In my initial post I was cautious not to say that the Church said procreation was the ONLY purpose.
Nevertheless I present the Church's longstanding teaching on this.
I'm sorry but you're not very much aware of anything that has to do with the Catholic Church nor do you have a clue as to what her teachings are either before or after Vatican II. Her teachings are very deep and multi-layered. A document here or there doesn't even begin to scratch the surface, either about marital intimacy or any other subject. All the 'research' in the world does not take the place of actually being in the Church.

Therefore, the Church has never taught that procreation is the only purpose of marital relations.

Location hidden

#486585 Oct 30, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like you're unaware of what the process of IVF entails. Do you know what fetal reduction is? I suggest you do some research before you speak again on the matter. But be prepared, it isn't pretty. The Church does not condemn IVF just because she wants to wield power over her adherents. THAT particular belief is what is over the top. It's not a man-made decision, it never was.
We had our Priest,the sisters Monastery of the Theotokos, and the sisters of the Transfiguration Monastery praying for our grandchild who was an IVF baby. From talking with us they knew this was Christ's child as well, IVF or not.We learned interutero that the child had part of his brain missing. We continued to pray. He is now 2 years old and the therapists and doctors have determined he is an intellectually lifted child. Economia!!!!!! Praise Christ Who surpasses our human intellect and our arrogance declaring what we think He wants.7114

Fraser Lake, Canada

#486586 Oct 30, 2013
Traditionally speaking, the primary purpose of marriage is the generation and nurturing of offspring;
The primary purpose of marriage was that women were the property of men.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

From the hard-cover-book, titled,“Stories Behind Everyday Things,” published by “The Reader’s Digest,” comes the following.

Auction

“Every year … in each village … they gathered together all the maidens that were come to the season of marriage; and round them stood a multitude of men; and an auctioneer caused them to stand up one by one and sold them.” This auction—one of the first on public record—took place in Babylon more than 2,500 years ago.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#486587 Oct 30, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
ORDERED???
By who .
You responded,to Herm after SERA,told about her grand child ..
Then said,IVF was evil ..coincidence??
Please,.no one is,fooled by your response after Seras,
I had already stated my view,..they should not make,so many..USE THEM or they should adopt the ones they have out if possible ..I think there are organizations,that try to do this,...SINCE THESE,EMBRYOS,ALREADY EXIST ...they should be allowed life .
One of you says,the method is mainly used by gay people??
Again no empathy ....
NOT destroy them ..nor use them for experiments ...
Now,you responded to Nick ..his,family is,NOT destroying any embryos .
Their grand child is not evil nor the result of anything EVIL ....You go on about things,wit no regard for families,who desperately want children ...And have born one ..And hopefully more this,way .
I think.the very fact that GOD,allowed the baby to implant and live
Means, she has a God given soul .
So why not leave it up to Him..
And no one,ORDERS me how,or who to post to..
My grandson has been a life saver for nick and me. he brings so much joy into our life. When my daughter went the first time they planted two embryos and one took. She has two more in Baltimore and hopefully they will take.My daughter and son in law do not believe in throwing left over embryos away and did want them adopted out either.When my daughter was 4 fours pregnant they discovered the baby had a brain defect and advised her to abort. She refused and told the doctors never to bring up the subject again.This baby is now 2years old and we found out this week that he is Gifted..he is far advanced than other 2 year olds...MY daughter helped two other couples with fertility problems by pointing them to this clinic in Baltimore and also giving them support.Both couples now have healthy babies. One girl had 4 miscarriages ..now has a 4 month old son, the other woman had 3 miscarriage and now has a 2 year old daughter.These are all God loving and devoted couples that needed help and my daughter guided them to the right doctors.Some people just look for one tiny crumb to be able to satisfy their thirst for blood.they will suck the life force out of you inorder for them to survive.
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#486588 Oct 30, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>I repeat...THIS IS MY OWN OPINION NOT THE ORTHODOX CHURCHES POSITION SO STOP TRYING TO TIE THE ORTHODOX CHURCH TO MY POSITION.....Unless my position is for you to argue for another reason..??
You jumped on the bash the Catholic bandwagon this morning about contraception. I thought i would remind you that your position is outside of your own Church's teachings. Its ok to have your own views. Every Catholic has their own opinions too. Its natural.

Location hidden

#486589 Oct 30, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
"Bulgarian Orthodox Church slams In vitro fertilization, surrogacy"
'The Holy Synod of Bulgarian Orthodox Church has declared reservations about IVF and surrogacy, viewing them as "human interference that is counter to God's will in the existential foundation of life"
"the much desired parenthood is turning into a goal in itself, that replaces the primary cause of the closeness between a man and woman. At present, over 4,000,000 'redundant' human embryos are awaiting their adaption and birth. Thus, cyro preservation is encouraging the trading with human beings, and such globalized commercialization....."
www.novinite.com/view_news.php...
==========

(Sofia Echo)- The Bulgarian Orthodox Church’s governing body, the Holy Synod, does not oppose in vitro fertilisation – in contrast to a December 2011 statement that it did; the misconception was a result of a clerical error in the initial statement.

This is according to Lovech Metropolitan Gavril who, however, underlined that the statement was correct in saying that the church opposed surrogate motherhood.

The initial statement caused outrage among various groups and the Bulgarian Orthodox Church, already caught up in a series of other recent controversies, came under fire for taking a stance against in vitro in a country in a demographic crisis with a birthrate that has been falling, overall, for several years.

According to statistics quoted in a recent report by Bulgarian-language mass-circulation daily 24 Chassa, in 2011 about 700 babies were born in Bulgaria as a result of in vitro fertilisation. The previous year the number was 688.

The success rate for conception through in vitro in Bulgaria was about 26 to 30 per cent, according to the report.

Gavril said that like the Orthodox Christian churches of Russia and of Greece, Bulgaria’s Holy Synod accepted in vitro fertilisation on condition that the biological material came from legal spouses and the cells were fertilised for implantation so that there was no destruction of eggs.

"Under these conditions, the church accepts in vitro. This is what the Holy Synod said and there is nothing more that I can say," Gavril said.
And Also...

Location hidden

#486590 Oct 30, 2013
The Lamberth Conf may be Anglical. et me check the rest of my files
It seems you jumped too soon. I admitted my own mistake.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#486591 Oct 30, 2013
The attitude of marriage depended on the culture and the era ... but it was ordained by men and had nothing in common with supposed gods in the sky.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

From the book, Eunuchs for the Kingdom of Heaven … Uta Ranke-Heinemann

How did marriages take place in the old days? Many people did get married in church with the priest to bless them and a wreath and veil for the bride. But for many others things happened something like this: They went for a walk, and he said to her: I love you, you’re my wife, and she said Yes. As far as Roman law was concerned (on which the Church based her own law), they were married (“the will to be married constitutes marriage”). The only witness was the moon, if that. Such marriages were called clandestine, but nobody questioned that they were proper marriages. Starting in 1215 the Church called for publications of the banns, but many did not comply with this.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#486592 Oct 30, 2013
From the book, Eunuchs for the Kingdom of Heaven … Uta Ranke-Heinemann

In 1563 through the decree Tametsi (“Although”) it introduced the so-called formal obligation: Although there was no doubt that secret marriages were valid, from now on a specific form for contracting marriage had to be observed, namely a wedding dress in the presence of one’s own pastor and at least two witnesses—otherwise the marriage is invalid.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#486593 Oct 30, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Here we go again with the nonsense. You're fooling yourself if you think what you're saying about me isn't sinful, rose. It would really be good if you people would stop lying about me for a nice change of pace. I did NOT read her post, I had no idea about any of it, nor do I care. I don't read all the posts here, especially hers.
I refuse to argue with you. You do seem to enjoy it, though. Why is beyond me.
Now that we have the truth of the matter out in the open...IVF typically involves fetal selection. That means the killing of human life. Close your eyes to it if it makes you feel better, but your opinions are tragically uninformed.
You knew about my daughters ivf cuz I told you back then..and we all know you love reading nicks and my posts because as soon as I post your name you appeared...I also purposely posted the IVF info so you would reappear...I missed you..

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#486594 Oct 30, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
"Bulgarian Orthodox Church slams In vitro fertilization, surrogacy"
'The Holy Synod of Bulgarian Orthodox Church has declared reservations about IVF and surrogacy, viewing them as "human interference that is counter to God's will in the existential foundation of life"
"the much desired parenthood is turning into a goal in itself, that replaces the primary cause of the closeness between a man and woman. At present, over 4,000,000 'redundant' human embryos are awaiting their adaption and birth. Thus, cyro preservation is encouraging the trading with human beings, and such globalized commercialization....."
www.novinite.com/view_news.php...
With you saying this, seems to mean that you object to "God's plan" and what "He" has put into place.

Why? Don't you think "God" knows what "He" is doing?

Who are you to question "God's plan" anyhow?

UNLESSSS......there is no "God's plan" at all, and all of this is just a mental ruse for gullible people.

Your choice.

Self.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#486595 Oct 30, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Signed by Catholics ONLY.
No signature ... no words to be read in the handwriting of a man named Jesus ... anywhere on earth!
Even the story is silly. A Jew comes to earth, sent by his Jewish father to give a message that Jews won't be saved unless they become of the Christian faith.
It's so silly that only fools would buy the blarney.
And yet you did - except for 4 years ago.

DOH!!

Fraser Lake, Canada

#486596 Oct 30, 2013
[QUOTE who="Seraphima One girl had 4 miscarriages ... the other woman had 3 miscarriage [/QUOTE]

Do you see what I mean about "GOD" murdering the cells of those fetuses in the womb???

How dare he judge women who want to have abortions? He has SOME nerve!!!

Tongue in cheek

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cuba's Havana Archbishop, Cardinal Jaime Ortega... 57 min WE JUST DONT CARE 15
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 4 hr Mr Sir 9,541
News Ecuador, first stop on Pope tour, highlights en... Sat Mark 1
News James Inhofe to Pope Francis: Shut up with your... Jun 30 2all 42
News Milwaukee Art Museum's embrace of condom portra... Jun 29 The Anti- Islamist 1
News Pope's Leaked Encyclical on Climate Change Has ... Jun 26 Buybull Mullahs 6
News Global warming deniers unimpressed with pope's ... Jun 26 Earthling-1 118
More from around the web