Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 596270 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Vanderhoof, Canada

#485574 Oct 27, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no desire for actual truth .
All religious people who believe they know truth have no desire to learn anything else.

Why would YOU, when you believe you have already "ARRIVED" at truth's door???

However bragging about knowing truth might be a far cry from the real deal ... if even a real truth actually exists.

I don't know if it does or doesn't exist, or if this supposed reality is all a figment of imagination.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#485575 Oct 27, 2013
From the book … The Invasion Within … The Contest of Cultures in Colonial North America by James Axtell.

In such circumstances, the Europeans quickly realized that technological advantage could be turned to spiritual and political profit. As Captain George Waymouth cruised St. George’s River in 1605, he performed various feats of technological and scientific wizardry for the visiting Indians, such as picking up a knife with a magnetized sword, in order, he said,“to cause them to imagine some great power in us: and for that to love and feare us.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#485576 Oct 27, 2013
I suggest that the Christians wanted the Natives to believe that the Christians were special because of being favored by the "Christian god."

Neither did the Christians mention that they stole the image of the one-god away from the Jews.

Nasty people indeed!
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

From the book … The Invasion Within … The Contest of Cultures in Colonial North America by James Axtell.

When they inadvertently carried deadly European diseases into the North Carolina coastal region, the English colonists at Roanoke were deified by their hosts for their ability to kill Indians at a distance and to remain unscathed themselves.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#485577 Oct 27, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course! Documents are always biased to the beliefs of the authors.
That is why religion in all its morphed and shape-shifting forms is not at all trustworthy as being based on anything but the over-active imaginations of theologians.
Agreed 100%

I am reminded of a midterm examination:

We were given a page from a primary source and asked to extract as much unbiased information as possible, half a blue book minimum.

Example: the buildings had windows, the people used boats, etc.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#485578 Oct 27, 2013

Thomas Harriot put his finger on the primary cause of the Indians’ initially exalted opinion of the white strangers when he noted that

most things they sawe with us, as Mathematicall instruments, sea compasses, the virtue of the loadstone in drawing iron, a perspective glasse whereby was shewed manie strange sightes, burning glasses, wildefire woorkes, gunnes, bookes, writing and reading, spring clocks that seeme to goe of themselves, and manie other thinges that wee had, were so straunge unto them, and so farre exceeded their capacities to comprehend the reason and meanes how they should be made and done, that they thought they were rather the works of gods than men, or at the leastwise they had bin given and taught uf of the gods.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#485579 Oct 27, 2013
Just suppose ... in jest ...

If reincarnation happens to be a reality ... maybe in the next round Catholics can come back as Protestants, and Protestants as Catholics and they can continue fighting over who owns the truth.

But until they both admit they don't know truth, I suggest they will continue to reincarnate and learn absolutely nothing new ... as at this stage and future "stages" ... it will continue to be all about right-fighting and yet more right-fighting.

:)

Vanderhoof, Canada

#485580 Oct 27, 2013
If Topix moderators just happen to be reading ... please take those two symbols "early adopter" and "game over" off of my avatar.

Thank you.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#485581 Oct 27, 2013
From what I have studied, the Native Indians all had belief in a great spirit. Just because it wasn't Christianized ... didn't mean it was non-existent.

Cultural misunderstandings were and are common.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

Typical of the group was Verrazzano, who, at the conclusion of his four-month tour of the Eastern Seaboard, confessed that “we were unable to find out by signs and gestures how much religious faith these people we found possess.” His presumption, however, was that “they have neither religion nor laws, that they do not know of a First Cause or Author, that they do not worship the sky, the stars, the sun, the moon, or other planets, nor do they even practice any kind of idolatry….We consider that they have no religion,”
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#485582 Oct 27, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Just suppose ... in jest ...
If reincarnation happens to be a reality ... maybe in the next round Catholics can come back as Protestants, and Protestants as Catholics and they can continue fighting over who owns the truth.
But until they both admit they don't know truth, I suggest they will continue to reincarnate and learn absolutely nothing new ... as at this stage and future "stages" ... it will continue to be all about right-fighting and yet more right-fighting.
June you must remember that MOST catholics/protestants/jews/Mus lims etc. were ....B-O-R-N...into the family traditional faith. Very few people pick their religion. If mom and pop were catholic, then junior and sis are catholic to become just like mom and pop.......thats how it works.

Being born in a certain location in the world more often than not determines what god one follows and if two people follow the same god, which interpretations of their same god is the right one or not at all?

FEAR is what keeps them in the fold. Fear of being shunned by their families/friends if they left, fear of dying with no where to go, or to that imaginary place called hell.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#485583 Oct 27, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
From what I have studied, the Native Indians all had belief in a great spirit. Just because it wasn't Christianized ... didn't mean it was non-existent.
Cultural misunderstandings were and are common.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>
Typical of the group was Verrazzano, who, at the conclusion of his four-month tour of the Eastern Seaboard, confessed that “we were unable to find out by signs and gestures how much religious faith these people we found possess.” His presumption, however, was that “they have neither religion nor laws, that they do not know of a First Cause or Author, that they do not worship the sky, the stars, the sun, the moon, or other planets, nor do they even practice any kind of idolatry….We consider that they have no religion,”
June

THERe is,as much of a chance of all your quotes,turning us,from OUR LORD AS,VICE VERSA,.

Even less,...

I know poking fun at our beliefs,gives you pleasure .

But it's,not changing minds ..

Really

Vanderhoof, Canada

#485584 Oct 27, 2013
From the book,“History of Christianity,” by Clyde L. Manschreck … comes the following…………..

No theologian has equaled the influence of Aquinas on Roman Catholicism.

Aquinas did not believe in the Immaculate Conception of Mary, which was still being debated.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#485585 Oct 27, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
June
THERe is,as much of a chance of all your quotes,turning us,from OUR LORD AS,VICE VERSA,.
Maybe you should just speak for you and leave others to their own beliefs.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

All religious people who believe they know truth have no desire to learn anything else.

Why would YOU, when you believe you have already "ARRIVED" at truth's door???

However bragging about knowing truth might be a far cry from the real deal ... if even a real truth actually exists.

I don't know if it does or doesn't exist, or if this supposed reality is all a figment of imagination.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#485586 Oct 27, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I know poking fun at our beliefs,gives you pleasure .
Do you believe that without converting to Christianity, Muslims will be rewarded with the one god's eternal bliss?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#485587 Oct 27, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Your desire is to taunt. That's all.
Taunt Catholics and Protestants as well as your bible believing evangelicals... Get under peoples skin for your own personal amusement. You have no desire for actual truth .
"for I received from the Lord what I also deliver to you that the Lord Jesus on the night He was betrayed took bread, blessed it and given thanks, held it up and said, " this is my body, do THIS in remembrance of me".
Your response proves my words are 110% true and correct...thanks..

Vanderhoof, Canada

#485588 Oct 27, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
June you must remember that MOST catholics/protestants/jews/Mus lims etc. were ....B-O-R-N...into the family traditional faith. Very few people pick their religion. If mom and pop were catholic, then junior and sis are catholic to become just like mom and pop.......thats how it works.
Being born in a certain location in the world more often than not determines what god one follows and if two people follow the same god, which interpretations of their same god is the right one or not at all?
FEAR is what keeps them in the fold. Fear of being shunned by their families/friends if they left, fear of dying with no where to go, or to that imaginary place called hell.
I agree that fear keeps them in the fold ... and that is why so many young Catholics and Protestants have made the leap into Wicca ... where the "reformed" goddess that now even loves homosexuals and bisexuals ... loves everybody.

Some Wiccans refer to the new mixture as "Christian lite."

Vanderhoof, Canada

#485589 Oct 27, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Your response proves my words are 110% true and correct...thanks..

Location hidden

#485590 Oct 27, 2013
The fifteen Apocryphal books which the Roman Catholics have included in their Bibles, come from a collection of about eighteen or more books written during the Inter-testamental Period. This period of four hundred years began with God giving the last book of the Old Testament which was Malachi. The Inter-testamental period ended with the coming of Christ and the writing of the New Testament. During this four hundred years God sent no prophets to Israel and was silent giving no written revelation.

The word "apocrypha" means "of questionable authenticity." These are called non canonical books because when the canon of Scriptures (the sixty six books of the Old and New Testaments) was accepted by the early Christians they recognized that these books contained spurious material and therefore were not inspired of God. Other names for these books are "hidden" or "deuterocanonical" books. These books are also called "pseudepigraphal", meaning "false writings" to designate them as spurious and unauthentic books of the late centuries B. C. and early centuries A. D.

These books contain religious folklore and have never been considered inspired of God by biblical Christians from the earliest times of churches.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#485591 Oct 27, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed 100%
I am reminded of a midterm examination:
We were given a page from a primary source and asked to extract as much unbiased information as possible, half a blue book minimum.
Example: the buildings had windows, the people used boats, etc.
Good point!

To claim to know religious truth ... one has to be "biased" in claiming that all others that disagree tell only lies.

It's of interest to me that the word heresy at one time meant "able to choose."

How ironic.

Location hidden

#485592 Oct 27, 2013
Paul was preaching to Jews...not Catholics.when he spoke of traditions in both Thessaloinan epistles.....hence the definition of "tradition"..Quote: tradition: paradosis: transmission, i.e.(concretely) a precept; specially, the Jewish traditionary law:--ordinance, tradition.

But....this is either ignored by catlicks.....denied by catlicks...or not known by catlicks!!!!!

Introduction to the Book of 1 Thessalonians
The Testimony and Success of a Faithful Congregation
The Mission of the Local Church

1 Thessalonians 1:1-20

by Cooper Abrams

Introduction: 1 Thessalonians is Paul's earliest Epistles (letters) written around 51-52 AD. Paul was probably in Corinth a short time after he left Thessalonica.

1. The church at Thessalonica was founded by Paul on his 2nd missionary journey in which the Gospel was taken to Macedonia which was eastern Europe. This was a sea side Roman city, with a good harbor which made it an important trade center. After beginning the new church in Philippi, Paul went to Thessalonica and the New Testament tells us he was only there three weeks or three Jewish Sabbath days.

a. In Acts 17:1-16 Paul and Silas stopped there on his way after leaving Philippi, Berea. It was on the east coast of Macedonia between Berea and Athens. Silas was the Jew from Jerusalem who had been sent to Antioch after the Paul and Barabus went there to resolve the issue of Gentile believers eating meat from the local pagan run meat markets and eating meat with blood still in it. He was led of the Lord to be Paul's helper and traveled with him.

b. Paul, as was his practice, went to the Jewish synagogue and there he reasoned with the Jews from the Scriptures the Old Testament scriptures. In other words, Paul preached Jesus the Messiah from the Old Testament.

c. Some of the Jews believed but others, moved by jealousy opposed Paul and the Gospel. These who opposed him were Jews, self-righteous Pharisees. Although the Old Testament clearly showed Jesus to be the Christ the Messiah, they rejected Him the same as the Jewish religious leaders in Jerusalem.

-These unbelieving Jews were not satisfied just to reject the Gospel, they also wanted to destroy Paul who preached it. Some of the most dangerous people in the world are religious zealots. The Jews gathered a mob of men of dubious character, called "lewd men of a baser sort" (Acts 17:5), to destroy Paul. These were evil and vulgar men, whom the Jewish leaders had stirred up and bribed.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#485593 Oct 27, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
The fifteen Apocryphal books which the Roman Catholics have included in their Bibles, come from a collection of about eighteen or more books written during the Inter-testamental Period. This period of four hundred years began with God giving the last book of the Old Testament which was Malachi. The Inter-testamental period ended with the coming of Christ and the writing of the New Testament. During this four hundred years God sent no prophets to Israel and was silent giving no written revelation.
The word "apocrypha" means "of questionable authenticity." These are called non canonical books because when the canon of Scriptures (the sixty six books of the Old and New Testaments) was accepted by the early Christians they recognized that these books contained spurious material and therefore were not inspired of God. Other names for these books are "hidden" or "deuterocanonical" books. These books are also called "pseudepigraphal", meaning "false writings" to designate them as spurious and unauthentic books of the late centuries B. C. and early centuries A. D.
These books contain religious folklore and have never been considered inspired of God by biblical Christians from the earliest times of churches.
You didn't include a link...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 16 hr Married in 9,533
News James Inhofe to Pope Francis: Shut up with your... Jun 30 2all 42
News Milwaukee Art Museum's embrace of condom portra... Jun 29 The Anti- Islamist 1
News Pope's Leaked Encyclical on Climate Change Has ... Jun 26 Buybull Mullahs 6
News Global warming deniers unimpressed with pope's ... Jun 26 Earthling-1 118
News Pope urges revolution to save Earth, fix 'perve... Jun 25 Sterkfontein Swar... 30
News Delamaide: Pope joins bank critics Jun 23 Eleanor 1
More from around the web