Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 688571 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#485054 Oct 25, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Rose, I understand were your coming from and to be honest..it could be a possibility that maybe they took notes. No one can proof 100 percent one way or the other....GBU..
Of course,we,don't know ..But these gospels had a,lot of detail ..why could they not have been writing down the profound things,He said ..

It was a though But to be told flat out could not have happened ??

Oh well ..
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#485055 Oct 25, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth, the Catholic Church didn't read the Bible, then form their theology around the Bible . The reason being, was because there wasn't a Bible to form around. The Apostles never set up a Bible. The writings, along with sacred tradition and the Church itself, flowed together in one breath.
It does no good to challenge everyone on scripture verses, since it takes an infallible authority to determine the authenticity anyway.
You said, quote, "The Apostles never set up a Bible." End quote.

You are correct. By the inspiration of God the Bible was set up. Have you ever read what Jesus said about the Bible. Let's take a stroll down memory lane. Did Jesus ever say, "It is tradition?" Did Jesus ever say, "It is written?" Which of these statements was made by Jesus?

The Roman Catholic church provides clear teaching? The Roman Catholic church is infallible? The Roman Catholic church is authentic? No, absolutely not.

1. What is the claim of the Roman Catholic church in regard to the Head of the Church on earth?

The Church of Rome claims that the Pope as the successor of St. Peter is the Vicar of Christ on earth; the Supreme Head and Infallible Teacher of the Church, and those who do not believe this cannot be saved.

2. What is the official teaching of the Roman Catholic church on the Pope?

The Creed of Pope Pius IV Section X states:'I acknowledge the Holy Catholic Apostolic Roman Church for the Mother and Mistress of all Churches, and I promise and swear true obedience to the Bishop of Rome the Successor to St. Peter, Prince of the Apostles and Vicar of Jesus Christ.'

3. What text in Matthew's Gospel does the Rome Catholic church use to support her claims for St. Peter being the first Pope?

Matthew chapter 16 and verse 18:'And I say also unto thee, that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.' The meaning of this text is obvious. Jesus having heard from the disciples the various notions which were entertained of Him, asked them:'But whom say ye that I am?' and Peter, always more forward than the rest, replied:'Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.' Jesus, having pronounced him blessed, as every believer is (Psalm 32:1), said:'Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.' Christ in addressing Peter said:'Thou art Peter,' using the word 'petros', which signifies a stone, but in referring to the rock He used the word 'petra', which means properly 'an immovable rock'. He does not say:'Thou art Peter, and upon thee I will build my church', but 'upon this Rock.' The Rock he had confessed was Christ the Son of the living God, as though He said:'Thou art Peter, a living stone in this spiritual edifice, but upon this immovable foundation I will build my church.'

4. Were the Fathers unanimous in their interpretation of the Scripture?

The Fathers of the church, as the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Kenrick, USA, who attended Vatican I, himself acknowledged, were divided.
a. Eight say the Rock means the twelve apostles as a body
b. Sixteen say it refers to Christ Himself
c. Seventeen say it refers to St. Peter
d. Forty four say it means the faith which Peter professed.

This is your UNIFIED Roman Catholic church? REALLY!

It is clear that the Rock of the church is the INFALLIBLE Rock of Ages, the Lord Jesus Christ Himself.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#485056 Oct 25, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't the telephone game Rose. You speculate because you can't admit the Church existed before the bible. I thought maturity was supposed to come with age...
And you miss the point that the,TRADITION you hammer US,with ..You bAck up with writings,of the,EARLY CHURCH FATHERS,...who obviously thought WRITING WAS A GOOD THING ..so it was,NOT a game of telephone .

But yet not one of the many disciples of Jesus time thought to write down a,single,word of His,at the time .....????

The most important score and deeds they ever witnessed ..NOT ONE WORD in contemporary time ...even if the accounts WENT INTO LATER WORKS,for posterity ....

We don't KNOW ..when..how long ..it took ..if They used notes ..obviously LUKE did ..interview people ..I'm sure .
marge

Leesburg, GA

#485057 Oct 25, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't the telephone game Rose. You speculate because you can't admit the Church existed before the bible. I thought maturity was supposed to come with age...
Regina agrees with me, the Word of God was first.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#485058 Oct 25, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course,we,don't know ..But these gospels had a,lot of detail ..why could they not have been writing down the profound things,He said ..
It was a though But to be told flat out could not have happened ??
Oh well ..
I have learned this Rose...sometimes the simple things in life make more sense than what we have been told all along. You go with your heart and it matters not if what YOU believe is not the path most taken as long as you walk straight with you head held high and don't intentionally hurt someone else on that same path as you journey thru life. What matters most is God sees your hear and knows your mind....you answer only to HIM..

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#485059 Oct 25, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
Rose are we still collecting peanuts? LOL
I lost count ..I.must have a,bucket by now ...:)

I hope that priest never heard of topix .
.But to use him as an excuse .

Saying her priest swears

I doubt that's,what he

Anthony meant by talk to your priest ???

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#485060 Oct 25, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I sais,non believers,.
Have no idea,who is or is,not saved .
However unless,I'm mistaken ..You commented
On the authenticity of bible scripture
Based on what He,said ..they did not write because,Jesus
Did not tell them to. I asked who wrote them then .
You said something ..not sure to tell affect that the apostles
Did NOT write them
I'm not misleading anyone ..I want find out why he said it twice .
I can ask ..he can or Not Answer.
And yes I am surprised he said it . Twice ..as,I don't really
Think.he dies not believe they wrote them ..or that his,church
Teaches that ....
All the canonical gospels are only attributed to the book's name, except GoLuke - which is attributed to the disciple (not an Apostle) Luke - who seems to have been a doctor of some sort.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#485061 Oct 25, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
The word of God! Hooray!!
But it was the oral word, not the written word, at least not the Gospels because they didn't exist yet. And that's what we've been talking about all this time, Marge. She was ordered not to talk to me, but they gave her permission to speak to Anthony, so it's just as well since we've both been saying the same thing.
So, you're right... faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
You are a trained twister of truth. Romans 10:17, "So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." What is the word of God? The Bible.

Albuquerque, NM

#485062 Oct 25, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I WAS READING FROM THE LINK.YOU GAVE ....
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm
doesn't it say Gnostic .
never mind ...You just want to argue
Was trying to figure out what you've been talking about .
And you post something ...then say SONETHING else .
Have fun..not playing
You misunderstand.

Gnostic was given to a group of men by the early "Church Fathers" because of the root word "gnosis" - meaning knowledge.

"The Gnostic Society Library" the name of the association that has translated these texts, is just a name used. ALthough this society of scholars are probably not "Gnostic" in their belief, it is only a name being used.

It doesn't mean GoThomas is Gnostic, it just categorizes this book with them.

IMO - if one is to think these teachings are "Gnostic" then one must also include the canonical teachings as "Gnostic" as well, but people don't - because other men said they weren't. "God" never did.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#485063 Oct 25, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
They didn't have New Testaments, they preached with their mouths.
News flash!!!!! Even today, preachers preach with their mouths!!!!!!

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#485064 Oct 25, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
You said, quote, "The Apostles never set up a Bible." End quote.
You are correct. By the inspiration of God the Bible was set up. Have you ever read what Jesus said about the Bible. Let's take a stroll down memory lane. Did Jesus ever say, "It is tradition?" Did Jesus ever say, "It is written?" Which of these statements was made by Jesus?
The Roman Catholic church provides clear teaching? The Roman Catholic church is infallible? The Roman Catholic church is authentic? No, absolutely not.
1. What is the claim of the Roman Catholic church in regard to the Head of the Church on earth?
The Church of Rome claims that the Pope as the successor of St. Peter is the Vicar of Christ on earth; the Supreme Head and Infallible Teacher of the Church, and those who do not believe this cannot be saved.
2. What is the official teaching of the Roman Catholic church on the Pope?
The Creed of Pope Pius IV Section X states:'I acknowledge the Holy Catholic Apostolic Roman Church for the Mother and Mistress of all Churches, and I promise and swear true obedience to the Bishop of Rome the Successor to St. Peter, Prince of the Apostles and Vicar of Jesus Christ.'
3. What text in Matthew's Gospel does the Rome Catholic church use to support her claims for St. Peter being the first Pope?
Matthew chapter 16 and verse 18:'And I say also unto thee, that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.' The meaning of this text is obvious. Jesus having heard from the disciples the various notions which were entertained of Him, asked them:'But whom say ye that I am?' and Peter, always more forward than the rest, replied:'Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.' Jesus, having pronounced him blessed, as every believer is (Psalm 32:1), said:'Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.' Christ in addressing Peter said:'Thou art Peter,' using the word 'petros', which signifies a stone, but in referring to the rock He used the word 'petra', which means properly 'an immovable rock'. He does not say:'Thou art Peter, and upon thee I will build my church', but 'upon this Rock.' The Rock he had confessed was Christ the Son of the living God, as though He said:'Thou art Peter, a living stone in this spiritual edifice, but upon this immovable foundation I will build my church.'
The Fathers of the church, as the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Kenrick, USA, who attended Vatican I, himself acknowledged, were divided.
It is clear that the Rock of the church is the INFALLIBLE Rock of Ages, the Lord Jesus Christ Himself.
The Creed of Pope Pius IV Section X states:'I acknowledge the Holy Catholic Apostolic Roman Church for the Mother and Mistress of all Churches, and I promise and swear true obedience to the Bishop of Rome the Successor to St. Peter, Prince of the Apostles and Vicar of Jesus Christ...yikesss..St. Peter, Prince of the Apostles??? They were ALL equal... And the Orthodox Church believes in D..upon Peters strong faith in Christ as the Son of the living God,he will build His church.

Albuquerque, NM

#485065 Oct 25, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"Matthew also issued a written Gospel among the Hebrews in their own dialect, while Peter and Paul were preaching in Rome and laying the foundation of the Church. After their departure, Mark, the disciple and interpreter of Peter, did also hand down to us in writing what had been preached by Peter. Luke also, the companion of Paul, recorded in a book the Gospel preached by him. Afterwards John, the disciple of the Lord, who also had leaned upon his breast, did himself publish a Gospel during his residence at Ephesus in Asia.(Against Heresies 3:1:1). St. Irenaeus AD 180
Fifty years earlier Papias, bishop of Hieropolis in Asia Minor, wrote, "Matthew compiled the sayings [of the Lord] in the Aramaic language, and everyone translated them as well as he could" (Explanation of the Sayings of the Lord [cited by Eusebius in History of the Church 3:39]).
Sometime after 244 the Scripture scholar Origen wrote, "Among the four Gospels, which are the only indisputable ones in the Church of God under heaven, I have learned by tradition that the first was written by Matthew, who was once a publican, but afterwards an apostle of Jesus Christ, and it was prepared for the converts from Judaism and published in the Hebrew language" (Commentaries on Matthew [cited by Eusebius in History of the Church 6:25]).
Eusebius himself declared that "Matthew had begun by preaching to the Hebrews, and when he made up his mind to go to others too, he committed his own Gospel to writing in his native tongue [Aramaic], so that for those with whom he was no longer present the gap left by his departure was filled by what he wrote" (History of the Church 3:24 [inter 300-325]).
Citations from 2nd C. players?

What about a citation from a archaeolexicologist or maybe a biblical scholar that supports this hyposthesis of yours?

Biased opinions are only that.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#485066 Oct 25, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth, the Catholic Church didn't read the Bible, then form their theology around the Bible . The reason being, was because there wasn't a Bible to form around. The Apostles never set up a Bible. The writings, along with sacred tradition and the Church itself, flowed together in one breath.
It does no good to challenge everyone on scripture verses, since it takes an infallible authority to determine the authenticity anyway.
You deny the truth in God's Word..I showed you Scripture that proves over and over they had Bibles..."it is written" was said repeatedly...I did not take the time to count...but it was well in to the hundreds of time...

Christ read from it...he quoted from it...
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#485067 Oct 25, 2013
Roman Catholicism is the most powerful, widespread and subtle of all un-Biblical religious movements. It claims to be the only "true" church, and everything outside of it is labelled false and branded as heresy. All Protestants are "heretics" according to Romanism.

In reality the Roman Catholic hierarchy is not a church at all, but a gigantic religious, political organization.

The Church of Rome has unscripturally appropriated the name "Catholic" to mean only its own church. The true name for the miscalled Catholic Church should be the Roman Church.

The Roman Catholic Church claims to be the one true Church, dating back to the beginning, organised by Jesus Christ Himself, with the disciple Peter as the first Pope and Vicar of Christ of earth. However, while the true "Catholic" Church (the Body of Christ) was born in eternity in the Mind of God, the Roman Catholic Church was not organised until about 313 AD.

Emperor Diocletian for the first three centuries the true Church was threatened with extinction, as the persecutions of pagan Rome increased in intensity under the reigns of the heathen Emperors from Nero to Diocletian. In 303 AD. Diocletian, determined once and for all to stamp out Christianity, issued a series of edicts, each more severe than the former, in his effort to exterminate Christianity. Christians were martyred by the thousands and the Roman prisons were filled to overflowing with believers and especially Christian ministers.

Then a most unexpected event took place. Constantine the Great became Emperor of Rome in the early part of the fourth century. During one of the crucial battles for conquest he is supposed to have seen in the sky a flaming cross at midday with the words inscribed in Greek: "By this sign conquer." It may have been pure imagination in an hour of desperation, or an optical illusion, but whatever it was he accepted it as word from Heaven that this cross was his key to victory. Accordingly he not only accepted Christianity but also made it the religion of the Roman Empire.

The result was the Roman Catholic Church, which is a mixture of about one-third Christianity, one-third Judaism, and one-third paganism. This was the beginning of the union of Church and State. Constantine, however, did not oppose the old pagan worship of Rome; rather, he superimposed Christianity upon these pagan religions, adopting elements in both; and thus, by allowing the pagans to continue their heathen customs, he made it easy for them to adopt Christianity. The result was the Roman Catholic Church, which is a mixture of about one-third Christianity, one-third Judaism, and one-third paganism. The Roman Catholic Church thus pretends to accept most of the cardinal doctrines of Christendom, plus the holy days and priesthood copied from Judaism, and the superstitions and fetishes of paganism with its charms such as holy water, candles, and images.

While the pretended adoption of Christianity was hailed as a great victory for the Church, it was also, ironically, the beginning of her ruin. From this date we can trace all the innumerable errors of the Roman Church -

1. Mariology
2. The mass
3. Purgatory
4. Limbo
5. The celibacy of priesthood
6. Adoration and worship of images
7. Indulgences
8. The infallibility of the Pope
9. The immaculate conception of Mary

and many other unscriptural errors. Instead of a blessing it became the downfall of the organized church. Yet all the time during those dark ages which followed there was as always the body of true believers, members of the true Church, within the framework of the rapidly corrupting hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church.

Before Constantine the true Church was persecuted and threatened with extermination; after Constantine there emerged the Roman Church, patronized by the State and subsequently seeking temporal powers to rule and govern the State. This was the beginning of the Roman Catholic Church which has lasted until today.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#485068 Oct 25, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>The Creed of Pope Pius IV Section X states:'I acknowledge the Holy Catholic Apostolic Roman Church for the Mother and Mistress of all Churches, and I promise and swear true obedience to the Bishop of Rome the Successor to St. Peter, Prince of the Apostles and Vicar of Jesus Christ...yikesss..St. Peter, Prince of the Apostles??? They were ALL equal... And the Orthodox Church believes in D..upon Peters strong faith in Christ as the Son of the living God,he will build His church.
Thank you Seraphima.

You said, quote, "St. Peter, Prince of the Apostles??? They were ALL equal...And the Orthodox Church believes in D..upon Peters strong faith in Christ as the Son of the living God He will build His church." End quote.

Amen and amen.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#485069 Oct 25, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a trained twister of truth. Romans 10:17, "So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." What is the word of God? The Bible.
That's what she said Oldjg, she agreed that the Word of God came before the church, how could it not if faith comes by hearing.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#485070 Oct 25, 2013
The ignorance of the average Protestant concerning the teachings of the Roman Church is astonishing. Many Protestants express surprise at some of the errors that can be pointed out in this
un-scriptural system. It is also surprising to find how many Roman Catholics are totally ignorant concerning many of the doctrines of their own Church.

According to the Church of Rome, all Protestants are heretics and anathema. The Church of Rome claims that it alone is the true church and that there is no salvation outside it. This is sometimes denied by Roman Catholics, but is abundantly documented by the statements and decrees of Popes and church councils.

As long as there is not a Roman Catholic majority in any country, Rome can carefully disguise her true aims and beliefs. If you want to see Rome as it really is, just step across the border into the Irish Republic or go to Mexico, Spain or any other predominantly Roman Catholic country. Ask the missionaries who have labored and suffered in these lands. Non-Roman-Catholics are accursed by the Church of Rome.

The vast majority of the doctrines and beliefs of the Church of Rome have no basis whatsoever in the Bible. They were added at a later date, contrary to the clear warning of the Bible in Revelation 22:18.

Here is a list of the main unscriptural doctrines and the dates on which they were made official. All Roman Catholics are forced to accept them without question:

The daily mass, 394 A.D.
The doctrine of purgatory (Pope Gregory), 593 A.D.
Prayers to the Virgin, Queen of Heaven, 600 A.D.
The first Pope (Boniface III), 610 A.D.
Kissing the Pope's foot began in 709 A.D.
Temporal power of the Pope declared in 750 A.D.
Worship of images, relics and cross, 788 A.D.
Holy water, blessed by a priest, 850 A.D.
Veneration of St. Joseph, 890 A.D.
Canonized dead saints (Pope John XV), 995 A.D.
Lent and Good Friday began in 998 A.D.
Mass declared a sacrifice of Christ, 1050 A.D.
Celibacy of the priesthood and nuns, 1079 A.D.
Rosary introduced by Peter the Hermit, 1090 A.D.
Selling indulgences began in 1190 A.D.
Doctrine of transubstantiation adopted in 1215 A.D.
Confession of sins to human priest, 1215 A.D.
Adoration of the water (Pope Honorius), 1220 A.D.
Bible interpretation forbidden to laity, 1229 A.D.
Scapular a charm against dangers, 1287 A.D.
Communion under one kind, 1414 A.D.
Seven sacraments declared, 1439 A.D.
Superstitions of Ave Maria-Pope Sextus V 1508 A.D.
Tradition is infallible authority, 1545 A.D.
Apocryphal books added to the Bible, 1546 A.D.
Immaculate conception of the Virgin Mary, 1854 A.D.
Infallibility of the Popes, 1870 A.D.
Mary declared to be the Mother of God, 1931 A.D.
Assumption of the Virgin Mary, 1950 A.D.

This is only a partial list of the false doctrines that the Roman hierarchy has added to the Bible. All of them are without a shred of divine authority.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#485071 Oct 25, 2013
The basic difference between the Roman Catholic religion and Evangelical Christianity may be summed up in one word - AUTHORITY. Evangelical Christians accept the Bible, and the Bible only, as the authority in all matters of faith, doctrine, and practice. To add anything to - or subtract anything from - the revelation of the Bible is forbidden by the Bible itself under severe threat of penalty (Revelation 22:18).

However, the Roman Catholic Church teaches that the Bible is not the only inspired authority; in addition, it has placed on a plane of equal authority church traditions, revelations and visions, and, above all, the edicts of the popes when spoken ex-cathedra or officially as the so-called 'Vicar of Christ' on earth.

The edicts or interpretations or additional revelations receive equal authority with the Word of God, and in many instances above and contrary to the Word of God. When speaking from his throne as the 'Vicar of Christ', the Pope is said to be as much inspired as the writers of the Bible is deemed to be as infallible in his pronouncements as they were.

Moreover, the common people are not able, nor allowed, to interpret the Bible for themselves, but must accept whatever the Roman Church says or teaches. The Roman Church through its clergy is the only interpreter of the Word.

Here, then, is the difference: Evangelical Christianity accepts the Bible as the complete and adequate revelation of God, while the Roman Catholics are to believe not the Bible, but the Bible as interpreted by the Pope, the Church and the clergy. This accounts for the great mass of doctrines and dogmas and practices of the Roman Catholic Church which are nowhere to be found in the Bible. They are supposed to rest upon a higher authority than God's Word.

No member of the Roman Church may question the teachings and doctrines of the Church. Once they have been accepted by the hierarchy as Roman Catholic doctrine, everyone is expected to accept them without question or protest. In a sense this makes Romanism an easy religion. The Roman Church interprets all, does all, and decides all. Just leave everything to a priest, and follow his orders, and he will take care of everything for you.

The differences between the Church of Rome and Bible Christianity are legion and are continually being added to by the Vatican. All these differences result from two basic errors. The two basic differences are the two questions of revelation and the nature of the Church. Both are a question of authority.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#485072 Oct 25, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>you are wrong. if you were from say Nazareth, you would speak Syriac. know your facts before you speak.lol
Correct!
marge

Leesburg, GA

#485073 Oct 25, 2013
or by inspiration also lol...God Bless All

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Oct 11 Married in 10,646
News Pope Francis Denounces Gender Confirmation Surg... Oct 9 TerriB1 1
News Paul Is No Inventor of Christianity, Says Pope (Sep '08) Oct 2 The Bible Student 81
News Boston cardinal, Jewish leaders have Holocaust ... (Feb '09) Sep 19 Tom Fontaine 42
News Catholic clergy fires back after Bannon criticism Sep '17 South Knox Hombre 1
News Evangelical Trump supporters want meeting with ... Aug '17 Ms Sassy 1
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Aug '17 -Prince Of Darkness- 84,837
More from around the web