Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 650810 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#484852 Oct 25, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>then the Greek word for rock is moot, isn't it?lol
No, protestant argument that the Greek use of petros, meaning small pebble is rendered moot.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#484853 Oct 25, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you are,well..Believe it or not some of us,were,concerned ..
Obviously you were posting elsewhere ..
I love the,nano badge ..wish mine would,show,
Thank you ... but you didn't look for me on other threads ... did you? I had to come "looking for you" ... that's only how much you really cared.

And if I have a "nano" badge, I didn't put it there. I don't even know what a nano-badge is, and neither do I care.

:)
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#484854 Oct 25, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Was Matthew's Gospel first written in Aramaic or Hebrew?
----------
Full Question
Is there any truth to the claim that Matthew's Gospel was originally written in Hebrew or Aramaic, not Greek? A Fundamentalist I know, who insists Matthew wrote originally in Greek, argues that there's no evidence in favor of the idea that his Gospel was written first in Aramaic, because there's no extant Aramaic original.
Answer
This peculiar argument against the long-standing belief that Aramaic (or Hebrew) was the language in which Matthew originally composed his Gospel was first raised in the 16th century by the Dutch theologian and patristics scholar Desiderius Erasmus. He reasoned that, since there is no evidence of an Aramaic or Hebrew original of Matthew's Gospel, it is futile to argue that the work originally appeared in Aramaic and was subsequently translated into Greek (as most patristics scholars hold).
This is not really much of an argument. It is an argument from silence and can be used just as effectively against the idea that the Gospel of Matthew was originally written in Greek, since there are likewise no extant originals of the Gospel in Greek. After all, the earliest manuscripts we have of any of the books of the New Testament are in Greek, yet not a single manuscript is an original. They're all copies. From the mere fact of Greek manuscripts we can't conclude that the originals must have been written in Greek yes, there may be a presumption of that, but not actually a proof.
Your Fundamentalist friend is wrong to assert there is no evidence to support the idea of an Aramaic original. In fact, the evidence is quite to the contrary. Since we have no autographs of this or any other New Testament book, it's wise to look at what the early Church had to say on the subject. Catholic apologists, theologians, and Scripture scholars of the second through fifth centuries provide us with a wealth of information on this subject.
Around 180 Irenaeus of Lyons wrote that
Matthew also issued a written Gospel among the Hebrews in their own dialect, while Peter and Paul were preaching in Rome and laying the foundation of the Church. After their departure, Mark, the disciple and interpreter of Peter, did also hand down to us in writing what had been preached by Peter. Luke also, the companion of Paul, recorded in a book the Gospel preached by him. Afterwards John, the disciple of the Lord, who also had leaned upon his breast, did himself publish a Gospel during his residence at Ephesus in Asia.(Against Heresies 3:1:1)
Fifty years earlier Papias, bishop of Hieropolis in Asia Minor, wrote, "Matthew compiled the sayings [of the Lord] in the Aramaic language, and everyone translated them as well as he could" (Explanation of the Sayings of the Lord [cited by Eusebius in History of the Church 3:39]).
Sometime after 244 the Scripture scholar Origen wrote, "Among the four Gospels, which are the only indisputable ones in the Church of God under heaven, I have learned by tradition that the first was written by Matthew, who was once a publican, but afterwards an apostle of Jesus Christ, and it was prepared for the converts from Judaism and published in the Hebrew language" (Commentaries on Matthew [cited by Eusebius in History of the Church 6:25]).
----------
Answered by: Catholic Answers Staff
SINCE THIS ANSWER CAME FROM THE CATHOLICS,IT HAS NO FOUNDATION TO BE NON PARTISAN. TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT AS MATTHEW, A LEARNED MAN COULD HAVE EASILY WRTTEN IT IN GREEK SINCE THAT WAS A COMMON WORLD WIDE LANGUAGE
St. Matthew was a Hebrew.

Preston, how do you know St. Matthew wrote this gospel? Who told you? That's right, it's the same CATHOLICS who said he wrote it in Aramaic.

Prince George, Canada

#484855 Oct 25, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>None so blind as he who refuses to see.
Unless the Holy Spirit speaks to clay, he will remain in darkness
Hahahaha

I suggest because of ignorance and arrogance we are all in the dark, and in the darkness is where we belong.

We are at home ... but it seems that some of just don't realize it ... yet.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#484856 Oct 25, 2013
1 Cor 3:11

For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Prince George, Canada

#484857 Oct 25, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
St. Matthew was a Hebrew.
A Hebrew Catholic saint???

Liam

Chicago, IL

#484858 Oct 25, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ is talking about Peter's confession.."you are the Son of the living God". He is going to build His church on Peter's confession. The foundation of the church is Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God.
And all Christians have the "keys" Clay. We can share the Gospel and invite folks into the Kingdom.
All Christians have the keys? Jesus didn't say that to Peter.
I have no idea what Bible you are reading. I thought it interpreted itself? You are Peter, and on this rock I'll build my Church. I will give YOU the keys".
Its plain and simple. No need to go on a scavenger hunt with verses. Those are Jesus' words.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#484859 Oct 25, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
2 thoughts
Jesus had disciples ..some educated as was Matthew .
It seems illogical that no Jewish man..who believed in the written words of the prophets ...would not have written down contemporary
Events as they became aware of WHO HE WAS .Mathews gospel COULD be a,completion of one of these efforts,...
Second I found this when it was speculated the APOSTLES DID NOT WRITE
because Jesus did not tell them to ...how do we know,EHAT He told them if not for the accounts ...DoD HE say speak in for sin languages ...YET THEY DID on Prntecostv.
Anyway this I FOUND INTERESTING ...
http://coldcasechristianity.com/2013/how-coul...
It makes great sense to me and a couple of others ..:)
First of all, the only reason you think St. Matthew wrote the Gospel of Matthew is because the same men who said it wrote it in Aramaic ALSO said it was hime who wrote it. Secondly, they didn't even write them until at least 30 years AFTER Christ's Ascension. The Gospel was preached ORALLY for at least that long BEFORE anyone could point to a "bible" and say "See!!! It says so right here!!!"

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#484860 Oct 25, 2013
interesting that right after Jesus called peter's CONFESSION of Him being "The Christ, the Son of the Living God" the rock/foundation of the Church/Body of Christ, Jesus referred to peter as "Satan" so that no one would mix up the 2 seperate ideas!

go for it vatican - aka the always blasphemous roman empire which persecutes the True Church and tries to sabotage it in every generation!

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#484861 Oct 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you ... but you didn't look for me on other threads ... did you? I had to come "looking for you" ... that's only how much you really cared.
And if I have a "nano" badge, I didn't put it there. I don't even know what a nano-badge is, and neither do I care.
Not true ..looked for you on one of the atheist forums ..takes more effort or somethin ...
To HE saw,you some place .

I saw your name on one of the leader BOARD in the game ..
The game is where you got both badges ...You had to notice that your posts, first few,of the day said you get 20 points ...so you were THEre the nano badge was given obviously to those who played till the end .
Only three badges show on the avatars if you get them.

My nano badge does not ..just only profile ...

Anyway BELUEVE it or don't ..a few of us,were concerned ...And prayed if you were ill..some of our words about God were in your heart .
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#484863 Oct 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
A Hebrew Catholic saint???
Of course, that's why Catholicism is the fulfillment of Judaism!

:0)
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#484864 Oct 25, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
well yes He did He told John to write Revelation and we all believe this verse don't we; >All scripture is given by inspiration of God<, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:,
Regina you make it sound like the Bible is not he Word of God and if Faith come by hearing the Word then the Word had to be first.
Revelation was written after Christ ascended to heaven. I repeat, Christ did not tell anyone to write anything down.

How do you know it's the Word of God? You know because the Church told you it is. The Church came first. The Bible came out of the Church, not the other way around. The Church was formed on the Word of God directly from God's mouth (Jesus Christ), not on the inspired written word. The written word (the bible) came after the Church was established. Clay nor any other Catholic has "put down" scripture as has been falsely claimed. How could we, it came from us!

Disagreement is one thing; putting words in our mouths is quite another.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#484865 Oct 25, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, the only reason you think St. Matthew wrote the Gospel of Matthew is because the same men who said it wrote it in Aramaic ALSO said it was hime who wrote it. Secondly, they didn't even write them until at least 30 years AFTER Christ's Ascension. The Gospel was preached ORALLY for at least that long BEFORE anyone could point to a "bible" and say "See!!! It says so right here!!!"
How can we possibly know WHEN THEY STARTED WRITING ...we don't ..just when they were finished .

These men believed in the written word ..Anthony .

But they also waited for the imminent RETURN ..at some point hey realized it might not be as soon as they thought ...so they wrote for posterity .

I also think some of them were the results of asking questions of Mary and others who knew,Him

They wrote tO believers in the Churches .

GOD insured writing written to future believers ..ALL OF US ...
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#484866 Oct 25, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea what Bible you are reading. I thought it interpreted itself? You are Peter, and on this rock I'll build my Church. I will give YOU the keys".
Its plain and simple. No need to go on a scavenger hunt with verses. Those are Jesus' words.
Good gravy Clay...

So if a born again Christian has a co-worker and that co-worker asked how do I get to Heaven, does the born again Christian have the keys...another words do they know how to get there???

The authority is giving to all Christians because of what Christ did. He is the foundation of the Church.

Look at what your church has done to you...
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#484867 Oct 25, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew 28:19h Go, therefore,* and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, 20i teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.* And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.”

**This applies to born again Christians all over the world. We are to share the Gospel with everyone. We have the keys or the know how to get into the Kingdom.

**No joke...it is truly sad how blind you are to this.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#484868 Oct 25, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>Yes!
Oh, dear, "someone" is going to town on all the Catholic posts again. What hatred they harbor for us. Sure hope they repent soon (but don't count on it, lol!).
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#484869 Oct 25, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, dear, "someone" is going to town on all the Catholic posts again. What hatred they harbor for us. Sure hope they repent soon (but don't count on it, lol!).
Actually Anthony rebuked her yesterday and told her to go see a priest but it's nice to see you get along so well.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#484870 Oct 25, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
How can we possibly know WHEN THEY STARTED WRITING ...we don't ..just when they were finished .
These men believed in the written word ..Anthony .
But they also waited for the imminent RETURN ..at some point hey realized it might not be as soon as they thought ...so they wrote for posterity .
I also think some of them were the results of asking questions of Mary and others who knew,Him
They wrote tO believers in the Churches .
GOD insured writing written to future believers ..ALL OF US ...
To them the written word was the Septuagint.

You accept the authority of the Catholic Church in determining the canon of the NT. Why would you reject them saying St. Matthew wrote it in Aramaic?
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#484871 Oct 25, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
see for yourself: made you have a bond because she talks like you.

Tuesday Oct 22

HuskerDu wrote:

<quoted text>You are on here more than I am, get a life, now go, chop chop. LMFAO

Anthony MN: I really don't think your language or methods are much appreciated here, you should re-think the way you're acting and maybe talk to your priest.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#484872 Oct 25, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew 28:19h Go, therefore,* and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, 20i teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.* And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.”
**This applies to born again Christians all over the world. We are to share the Gospel with everyone. We have the keys or the know how to get into the Kingdom.
**No joke...it is truly sad how blind you are to this.
The early Church said the "make disciples" part included baptism and the "teaching them to observe" included water baptism, the the Eucharist as the Sacrifice in the mass, confession, confirmation, the Communion of Saints, prayers for the dead, ordinations of priests, etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope Francis: 'Trump is not Christian' Jul 24 make Donald Drump... 47
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Jul 20 I Jus Wanna Live ... 10,173
News Holding the left responsible (Sep '15) Jul 20 Crusader 4
News The 'Obamification' of Pope Francis (Sep '15) Jul 16 odG nDmdea yoHl r... 100
News Turkey disappointed with Pope's Armenian 'genoc... (Apr '15) Jul 14 Hasan Sasirmaz 32
News Pope says Church should ask forgiveness from ga... Jul 9 South Knox Hombre 10
News Christian Europe Jul 9 bluestreak returns 27
More from around the web