Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 591352 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#483122 Oct 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't recall Jesus teaching that all texts are "God inspired".
Can you cite this teaching, please?
You can start here.

(3) Jesus says:

(1) "If those who lead you say to you:‘Look, the kingdom is in the sky!’
then the birds of the sky will precede you.
(2) If they say to you:‘It is in the sea,’ then the fishes will precede you.
(3) Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and outside of you."
(4) "When you come to know yourselves, then you will be known,
and you will realize that you are the children of the living Father.
(5) But if you do not come to know yourselves, then you exist in poverty, and you are poverty."
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm

But if one actually digs deep into all texts - you will find that Jesus nor "God" specifically states which texts are viable for learning.

Men chose the ones you use.
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
And for the last time, as you seem hidebound not to respond, I'll ask again how your use of the Gospel of Thomas somehow transcends my use of the canonical Gospels to the extent that you aren't "believing men".
Don't go there Dan, as I answer questions posed to me all the time, but usually only when those people answer my questions to them. Your argument is bologna.

"I'll ask again how your use of the Gospel of Thomas somehow transcends my use of the canonical Gospels to the extent that you aren't "believing men"."
- Correct. Just because something is written, doesn't make it true or false, it is up to us to research the information thoroughly, in order to have the best information available.

As far as I can tell, you've accepted what other men wrote as "true", without doing the research in order to understand why they were written to begin with.

Shoot - you aren't anyone to tell anyone what or what not to believe, but will promote your version continuously. All the while not believing in Jesus yourself.

You'll have to do better - by explaining to me why anyone should even believe you, especially since you don't believe Jesus.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#483123 Oct 18, 2013
who="Anthony MN" <quoted text>
Maybe you think "conflict" has a different meaning than I do. If the bible said Mary was NOT assumed into heaven, died a natural death, was buried and awaits the second coming like the rest of us and the Catholic Church taught the assumption, THAT would be a conflict. Being assumed into heaven is biblical (Enoch and Elijah).
Please, do go on Kay.

----------
The Bible SAYS that Enoch and Elijah were taken up. It does not say that Mary was. It shows her at the cross, and in the Upper Room on the day of Pentecost where she was filled with the Holy Ghost, as were the Apostles. She went home with John after the crucifixion, and spent the rest of her life with him. Nothing else is said of her.

KayMarie
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#483124 Oct 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I'm familiar with this passage.
This doesn't vitiate Christ's establishment of His Church nor His commission to the Apostles.
That's my point. The Bible explicitly tells us that Christ established His church with His authority. Thus, scripture cannot be the sole authority. To insist otherwise is to demand that Christ's actions were of no effect.
First, Dan, you have to understand what is meant by church which is NOT the Catholic church....

Body of Christ....

What is the church?

That’s right - YOU ARE.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#483125 Oct 18, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Chuck" <quoted text>
Preston...let me pick your brain. Last week during men's Bible study, predestination came up. What are your thoughts? Ever preach on it?
----------
Simple. Predestination was the act of creating man FOR A PURPOSE. Some have misunderstood this, saying that God predestined some for heaven and some for hell.
Ro. 8;29,30 declares that we are predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son. We are created to become like Him.
Eph. 1:5,11 tells us that we are predestined to the adoption (conception) of children by Jesus Christ to Himself...
(thus we must 'be born again' of His Spirit).
The Greek word does not mean 'adoption,' as in legally acquiring someone else's child. It means 'conception'...as of His own seed.
KayMarie
The most notorious exponent of Predestination, John Calvin, DID interpret biblical predestination to mean that God willed eternal damnation for some people and salvation for others.

Location hidden

#483126 Oct 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I know. Scripture is all those things.
Jesus left us the Church. It also is authoritative. He said so.
why do you continue to make up stories. Jesus left no words to give the catholic church authority over Christians
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#483127 Oct 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
We are His creation, and none of us are perfect.
Who's left on Earth if not sinners, chuck?
None of us are perfect...right. Christ is, so why would He establish a church with those who are imperfect???
Dan

Omaha, NE

#483128 Oct 18, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
You can start here.
(3) Jesus says:
(1) "If those who lead you say to you:‘Look, the kingdom is in the sky!’
then the birds of the sky will precede you.
(2) If they say to you:‘It is in the sea,’ then the fishes will precede you.
(3) Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and outside of you."
(4) "When you come to know yourselves, then you will be known,
and you will realize that you are the children of the living Father.
(5) But if you do not come to know yourselves, then you exist in poverty, and you are poverty."
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm
But if one actually digs deep into all texts - you will find that Jesus nor "God" specifically states which texts are viable for learning.
Men chose the ones you use.
<quoted text>
Don't go there Dan, as I answer questions posed to me all the time, but usually only when those people answer my questions to them. Your argument is bologna.
"I'll ask again how your use of the Gospel of Thomas somehow transcends my use of the canonical Gospels to the extent that you aren't "believing men"."
- Correct. Just because something is written, doesn't make it true or false, it is up to us to research the information thoroughly, in order to have the best information available.
As far as I can tell, you've accepted what other men wrote as "true", without doing the research in order to understand why they were written to begin with.
Shoot - you aren't anyone to tell anyone what or what not to believe, but will promote your version continuously. All the while not believing in Jesus yourself.
You'll have to do better - by explaining to me why anyone should even believe you, especially since you don't believe Jesus.
I'm going there, and please answer the question.

How does your use of the Gospel of Thomas somehow transcend my use of the canonical Gospels to the extent that you aren't "believing men"."

.....and I'm waiting still for Jesus' teaching on "texts" that I asked for.

"As far as I can tell, you've accepted what other men wrote as "true", without doing the research in order to understand why they were written to begin with."

False premise.

Looking forward to your response to my questions.

"
Dan

Omaha, NE

#483129 Oct 18, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
First, Dan, you have to understand what is meant by church which is NOT the Catholic church....
Body of Christ....
What is the church?
That’s right - YOU ARE.
True or false-Jesus established His Church in Scripture.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#483130 Oct 18, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Churches across this country are full of sinners. Dan...why would Christ establish a church here?
Where's "here"?

The whole planet's loaded with nothing but sinners, chuck.

#483131 Oct 18, 2013

The BIBLE says The just shall live by faith.

Rom_1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Gal_3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

Heb_10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

THE FAITH THAT THE JUST SHOULD LIVE BY COMES FROM HEARING THE WORD OF GOD

Rom 10:17 So then -->faith<--

(FAITH DEFINED)

persuasion, that is, credence; moral conviction (of religious truth, or the truthfulness of God or a religious teacher), especially reliance upon Christ for salvation; abstractly constancy in such profession; by extension the system of religious (Gospel) truth itself:- assurance, belief, believe, faith, fidelity.

cometh by -->hearing,<--..

(HEARING DEFINED (the act, the sense or the thing heard):- audience, ear, fame, which ye heard, hearing, preached, report, rumor.

and hearing by the -->word<--

(WORD DEFINED)

an utterance (individually, collectively or specifically); by implication a matter or topic (especially of narration, command or dispute); with a negative naught whatever:-+ evil,+ nothing, saying, word.

of -->God<--

(GOD DEFINED)

Of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with G3588) the supreme Divinity; figuratively a magistrate; by Hebraism very:- X exceeding, God, god [-ly,-ward].

THOUGH IT WANTS THE WORLD TO BELIEVE IT IS

THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH IS NOT A DEITY OR IS IT A

SUPREME DIVINITY..

IN NO WAY IS IT GODLY ...NOR DOES IT LEAD GOD-WARD...

IT ONLY DRAWS SOULS TO ITS GODLESS SELF...

IT MERCHANDISES THE SOULS OF MEN..

2Pe 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

2Pe 2:2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

NOTE
2Pe 2:3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words

--> make merchandise of you:<--

whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#483132 Oct 18, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
None of us are perfect...right. Christ is, so why would He establish a church with those who are imperfect???
We can ask Him "why" in Heaven.

He did it. It's right there in Scripture.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#483133 Oct 18, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>why do you continue to make up stories. Jesus left no words to give the catholic church authority over Christians
Christians WERE all Catholic until the Reformation.

#483134 Oct 18, 2013
who="HuskerDu" <quoted text>And JESUS handed the KEYS to PETER, upon this rock I will build My CHURCH. Don't you know that bible passage? Peter handed the keys to his successor. Google who was the pope after St.Peter.

----------
I never heard of Pope Google?:)

KM

Location hidden

#483135 Oct 18, 2013
who="Chuck" <quoted text>
Preston...let me pick your brain. Last week during men's Bible study, predestination came up. What are your thoughts? Ever preach on it?
----------
Simple. Predestination was the act of creating man FOR A PURPOSE. Some have misunderstood this, saying that God predestined some for heaven and some for hell.
Ro. 8;29,30 declares that we are predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son. We are created to become like Him.
Eph. 1:5,11 tells us that we are predestined to the adoption (conception) of children by Jesus Christ to Himself...
(thus we must 'be born again' of His Spirit).
The Greek word does not mean 'adoption,' as in legally acquiring someone else's child. It means 'conception'...as of His own seed.
KayMarie
agreed.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#483136 Oct 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
True or false-Jesus established His Church in Scripture.
actually He said He will...future

Matthew 16:18
And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I WILL build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Once this corrupt sinful earth is gone, yes He will establish His church and it will consist of all those who receive Him by faith.
Liam

Chicago, IL

#483137 Oct 18, 2013
who="Liam " <quoted text>
Yeah lol. It just blows me away sometimes at the forceful ignorance it takes to be a born again fundamental Christian. Their whole Biblical concept is bizarre. You tell them that the Bible wasn't printed until 1452, and they plug their ears. They wanna believe every Christian had a copy on their night stand since the Apostles handed all the books out to the folks...I don't think the laity ever had possession of the scriptures before the protestant revolt. Or not many... The scriptures were in the Churches where Christians read them allowed during the Mass- like we still do today.
Anyway, 45,000 and counting since the books became available to the Chucks and Oldjgs.
----------
You almost got it right. Though all of the books had not been compiled into one volumne, parts of it WERE read in the churches.
The book of Colossians was written to them, but Paul instructed that it also be read to the other churches. They exchanged the letters so that all could know the Word. Thankfully, we now can hold it in our hands, and study it.
Col 4:15 Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house.
Col 4:16 And when this epistle (letter) is READ among you, cause that it BE READ ALSO in the church of the Laodiceans; and that you likewise READ the epistle (letter) from Laodicea.
These letters were shared, not chained to the pulpits as Rome did later.
KayMarie
Yeah of course His letters were shared, but it was amongst the Church. They didn't pass them out for everyone to figure out what Paul was saying....they didn't go to a potential convert and say, "psst, read this. Its the word of God"
Btw, Paul wrote at least two more letters that were either lost or destroyed. And what about the teachings of the other Apostles who didn't write? Do you think they went to a city and passed out the writings of Paul? Use your head, Kay. The Apostles set up a Church and it centered around the Eucharist. This Church is still visible today.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#483138 Oct 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
We can ask Him "why" in Heaven.
He did it. It's right there in Scripture.
Makes absolutely no sense that Christ would establish something on an imperfect being...none.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#483139 Oct 18, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Body of Christ....
What is the church?
That’s right - YOU ARE.
1 Corinthians 12:12

12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ.

For there is NO earthly organization to divide!
Dan

Omaha, NE

#483140 Oct 18, 2013
The BIBLE says The just shall live by faith.
Rom_1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
Gal_3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
Heb_10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
THE FAITH THAT THE JUST SHOULD LIVE BY COMES FROM HEARING THE WORD OF GOD
Rom 10:17 So then -->faith<--
(FAITH DEFINED)
persuasion, that is, credence; moral conviction (of religious truth, or the truthfulness of God or a religious teacher), especially reliance upon Christ for salvation; abstractly constancy in such profession; by extension the system of religious (Gospel) truth itself:- assurance, belief, believe, faith, fidelity.
cometh by -->hearing,<--..
(HEARING DEFINED (the act, the sense or the thing heard):- audience, ear, fame, which ye heard, hearing, preached, report, rumor.
and hearing by the -->word<--
(WORD DEFINED)
an utterance (individually, collectively or specifically); by implication a matter or topic (especially of narration, command or dispute); with a negative naught whatever:-+ evil,+ nothing, saying, word.
of -->God<--
(GOD DEFINED)
Of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with G3588) the supreme Divinity; figuratively a magistrate; by Hebraism very:- X exceeding, God, god [-ly,-ward].
THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH IS NOT A DEITY OR IS IT A
SUPREME DIVINITY..
2Pe 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2Pe 2:2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
NOTE
whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
Please cite where the Catholic church declares itself "A DEITY OR A SUPREME DIVINITY.."

Thanks in advance.

#483141 Oct 18, 2013

THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH IS NOT A DEITY NOR IS IT A

SUPREME DIVINITY..

NOTE

(MERCHANDISE DEFINED)

a load (as filling), that is,(specifically) a cargo, or (by extension) wares:- burden, merchandise.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rick Santorum blasts Pope Francis as 'not credi... 1 hr Fehtolii 2
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 3 hr Gee Tee 9,430
News Pope says Catholics must practice a responsible... 7 hr ELIAS IBARRA 16
News Pope Holds Meeting to Encourage Adoption of U.N... 8 hr ELIAS IBARRA 26
News As ideology fades in Cuba, spirituality and pop... Mon L I G E R 1
News Philippines cardinal worked for peace with Muslims (Apr '14) Mon KristoFMYsagun 14
News St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes (Apr '14) Mon pazuzu 68
More from around the web