Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 691894 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#483106 Oct 18, 2013
marge wrote:
No man can come to me,.... That is, by faith, as in John 6:35; for otherwise they could corporeally come to him, but not spiritually; because they had neither power nor will of themselves; being dead in trespasses and sins, and impotent to everything that is spiritual: and whilst men are in a state of unregeneracy, blindness, and darkness, they see no need of coming to Christ, nor anything in him worth coming for; they are prejudiced against him, and their hearts are set on other things; and besides, coming to Christ and believing in Christ being the same thing, it is certain faith is not of a man's self, it is the gift of God, and the operation of his Spirit; and therefore efficacious grace must be exerted to enable a soul to come to Christ. Gill
Is this why you don't believe in all of what Jesus taught?

Afraid, huh?

You shouldn't be.

Albuquerque, NM

#483107 Oct 18, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
Your first line is great...but I hate propaganda, and don't use it.
KayMarie
We know.

You would rather make up false claims of "knowing God", and believing in Jesus, yet you really don't do either with both claims.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#483108 Oct 18, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. All texts are "God inspired", not just the ones that men have concluded to be - by opinion and decision.
In a nushell, you have chosen to believe men over what Jesus taught.
So - is this the reason why you refuse to believe in all of what Jesus taught?
I don't recall Jesus teaching that all texts are "God inspired".

Can you cite this teaching, please?

And for the last time, as you seem hidebound not to respond, I'll ask again how your use of the Gospel of Thomas somehow transcends my use of the canonical Gospels to the extent that you aren't "believing men".

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#483109 Oct 18, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>Lying makes baby Jesus cry.
If you believe that Jesus is still BABY...i guess it would account for your gross ignorance...

I have news for you...Jesus is no longer a baby

his description in

Rev 1:13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

Rev 1:14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;

Rev 1:15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

Rev 1:16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

Rev 1:17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:
Rev 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore,

Amen;

and have the keys of hell and of death.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#483110 Oct 18, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you have been sold a defective Bible...it contradicts itself...get a refund...
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being MADE in the likeness of men...

Who, being in the form of God....

form....

morphe...

the form by which a person or thing strikes the vision...

external appearance.....

Albuquerque, NM

#483111 Oct 18, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
You know very little about the Roman Catholic Church. Instead of accusing us, ask us. Do you want to tell us what we believe or ask us?
Thanks for the openess Liam.

Okay - I have some questions:

a. Why don't you believe in all of what Jesus taught - considering there are many teachings not in the canon.

b. Why do you only accept less than six of the original 13 Apostles as your teachings?

c. If "God" never specifically stated which texts are "of His inspiration" why do you think the men of antiquity were able to decide what is "from God" and which was not?

d. Why would you accept the decisions of fallible men?

e. Do you think fallible men can define an infallible being? How so? Why?

f. Since there are plenty more books in the Bible written by 3rd generation disciples, why do you think they ("Paul" and Luke) are more enlightened that first generation Apostles or even Jesus?

Let's start with those.

Thanks in advance for responding.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#483112 Oct 18, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I am asking you if you believe Jesus' description of "God".
You seem to believe other stories about "God", many from whom aren't Jesus, yet you call yourself a believer in Jesus.
You are beginning to double-talk again. Please stop. It only shows your ignorance to what we are discussing.
But I figured as much. You aren't as informed as you would like to be. By choice no doubt.
We don't have "Jesus' description of God". That doesn't exist nor has it ever existed. No writings of Jesus have ever been known to exist.

We have Thomas' account of Jesus' description of God.

I'm sorry I'm popping your bubble here, but you're asking me if I believe Thomas.

Albuquerque, NM

#483113 Oct 18, 2013
HuskerDu wrote:
<quoted text>Lying makes baby Jesus cry.
"Baby Jesus" must be crying day in and day out, with all the so many so-called "Christians" lying everyday that they believe in all of what Jesus taught, when in fact they don't.

*hands you a tissue*
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#483114 Oct 18, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Dan it says all Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.
So you think God did not include everything for righteousness? Why would He do that? For what benefit?
In past years we have read about the catholic church's sin. And you think Christ established a church like this?

You may say humans sin..yes more reason why there is no earthly church that Christ established, because of sin.

Peter was a sinner. Why in the world would Christ establish His church on a sinner or any other human for that matter?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#483115 Oct 18, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Dan it says all Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.
So you think God did not include everything for righteousness? Why would He do that? For what benefit?
I know. Scripture is all those things.

Jesus left us the Church. It also is authoritative. He said so.

Location hidden

#483116 Oct 18, 2013
<quoted text>
If you believe that Jesus is still BABY...i guess it would account for your gross ignorance...
I have news for you...Jesus is no longer a baby
his description in
Rev 1:13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.
Rev 1:14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
Rev 1:15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.
Rev 1:16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
Rev 1:17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:
Rev 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore,
Amen;
and have the keys of hell and of death.
If people like her try and keep Jesus as a baby, it reinforces their false beliefs hat His mother is still in control of Him, while in actuality, she had to give up control of Him when she left Him behind. His ministry was in its infancy but not because He was still a babe is swaddling clothes.

and Jesus showed her at the wedding that she could not and did not control Him. after all, He is God.

Location hidden

#483117 Oct 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't have "Jesus' description of God". That doesn't exist nor has it ever existed. No writings of Jesus have ever been known to exist.
We have Thomas' account of Jesus' description of God.
I'm sorry I'm popping your bubble here, but you're asking me if I believe Thomas.
we could care less what the book of Thomas might say about jesus.

we do have a perfectly good description of Jesus by Isaiah(matches what I saw of him in 1965 too).

#483118 Oct 18, 2013
who="Chuck" <quoted text>
Preston...let me pick your brain. Last week during men's Bible study, predestination came up. What are your thoughts? Ever preach on it?

----------
Simple. Predestination was the act of creating man FOR A PURPOSE. Some have misunderstood this, saying that God predestined some for heaven and some for hell.

Ro. 8;29,30 declares that we are predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son. We are created to become like Him.

Eph. 1:5,11 tells us that we are predestined to the adoption (conception) of children by Jesus Christ to Himself...
(thus we must 'be born again' of His Spirit).

The Greek word does not mean 'adoption,' as in legally acquiring someone else's child. It means 'conception'...as of His own seed.

KayMarie
Dan

Omaha, NE

#483119 Oct 18, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
In past years we have read about the catholic church's sin. And you think Christ established a church like this?
You may say humans sin..yes more reason why there is no earthly church that Christ established, because of sin.
Peter was a sinner. Why in the world would Christ establish His church on a sinner or any other human for that matter?
I don't think He did. I know He did, as it's in Scripture. I mean, you can rattle off all the reasons you want as to why He wouldn't have done it, but He did it.

We are His creation, and none of us are perfect.

Who's left on Earth if not sinners, chuck? I mean, if you take it all the way, Jesus should have just flattened the planet and gone home if all He had to deal with here were sinners.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#483120 Oct 18, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumb....really dumb..All born again Christians have the indwelling of Holy Spirit...according to your thinking...we are all the Holy Spirit!!!!!
If you don't believe God...whom will you believe???
Quote: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
Really dumb because of your way of thinking or the way you have been taught....

You have not yet figured out the mystery of Christ.....
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#483121 Oct 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I know. Scripture is all those things.
Jesus left us the Church. It also is authoritative. He said so.
Churches across this country are full of sinners. Dan...why would Christ establish a church here?

Albuquerque, NM

#483122 Oct 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't recall Jesus teaching that all texts are "God inspired".
Can you cite this teaching, please?
You can start here.

(3) Jesus says:

(1) "If those who lead you say to you:‘Look, the kingdom is in the sky!’
then the birds of the sky will precede you.
(2) If they say to you:‘It is in the sea,’ then the fishes will precede you.
(3) Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and outside of you."
(4) "When you come to know yourselves, then you will be known,
and you will realize that you are the children of the living Father.
(5) But if you do not come to know yourselves, then you exist in poverty, and you are poverty."
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm

But if one actually digs deep into all texts - you will find that Jesus nor "God" specifically states which texts are viable for learning.

Men chose the ones you use.
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
And for the last time, as you seem hidebound not to respond, I'll ask again how your use of the Gospel of Thomas somehow transcends my use of the canonical Gospels to the extent that you aren't "believing men".
Don't go there Dan, as I answer questions posed to me all the time, but usually only when those people answer my questions to them. Your argument is bologna.

"I'll ask again how your use of the Gospel of Thomas somehow transcends my use of the canonical Gospels to the extent that you aren't "believing men"."
- Correct. Just because something is written, doesn't make it true or false, it is up to us to research the information thoroughly, in order to have the best information available.

As far as I can tell, you've accepted what other men wrote as "true", without doing the research in order to understand why they were written to begin with.

Shoot - you aren't anyone to tell anyone what or what not to believe, but will promote your version continuously. All the while not believing in Jesus yourself.

You'll have to do better - by explaining to me why anyone should even believe you, especially since you don't believe Jesus.

#483123 Oct 18, 2013
who="Anthony MN" <quoted text>
Maybe you think "conflict" has a different meaning than I do. If the bible said Mary was NOT assumed into heaven, died a natural death, was buried and awaits the second coming like the rest of us and the Catholic Church taught the assumption, THAT would be a conflict. Being assumed into heaven is biblical (Enoch and Elijah).
Please, do go on Kay.

----------
The Bible SAYS that Enoch and Elijah were taken up. It does not say that Mary was. It shows her at the cross, and in the Upper Room on the day of Pentecost where she was filled with the Holy Ghost, as were the Apostles. She went home with John after the crucifixion, and spent the rest of her life with him. Nothing else is said of her.

KayMarie
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#483124 Oct 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I'm familiar with this passage.
This doesn't vitiate Christ's establishment of His Church nor His commission to the Apostles.
That's my point. The Bible explicitly tells us that Christ established His church with His authority. Thus, scripture cannot be the sole authority. To insist otherwise is to demand that Christ's actions were of no effect.
First, Dan, you have to understand what is meant by church which is NOT the Catholic church....

Body of Christ....

What is the church?

That’s right - YOU ARE.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#483125 Oct 18, 2013
who="Chuck" <quoted text>
Preston...let me pick your brain. Last week during men's Bible study, predestination came up. What are your thoughts? Ever preach on it?
----------
Simple. Predestination was the act of creating man FOR A PURPOSE. Some have misunderstood this, saying that God predestined some for heaven and some for hell.
Ro. 8;29,30 declares that we are predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son. We are created to become like Him.
Eph. 1:5,11 tells us that we are predestined to the adoption (conception) of children by Jesus Christ to Himself...
(thus we must 'be born again' of His Spirit).
The Greek word does not mean 'adoption,' as in legally acquiring someone else's child. It means 'conception'...as of His own seed.
KayMarie
The most notorious exponent of Predestination, John Calvin, DID interpret biblical predestination to mean that God willed eternal damnation for some people and salvation for others.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope urges compassion from politicians who fan ... 15 hr Frindly 2
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Dec 4 Mr Sir 10,694
News Pope Francis is greeted by young children in tr... Nov 27 TRUE CATHOLIC her... 1
News John Paul I Closer to Sainthood as Book Debunks... Nov 12 South Knox Hombre 1
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Nov '17 Feeling Abandoned 37
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... (Apr '15) Nov '17 whirlignmerc 11
News War, religion and tolerance Oct '17 The Bible Student 1
More from around the web