Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 558,769
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#482399 Oct 15, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably, but right now Catholicism is in direct conflict with liberalism and secularism. Particularly with abortion, contraception, gay marriage, stem cell research and now Obamacare.
I really don't know of any non Catholic Christian group who stands with us on all these issues.
There really is no other, Clay. At least not as vehemently. Although I believe some individuals are also protesting the HHS mandate. There are a few lawsuits filed by other Christians. I think Hobby Lobby is one.
I'd also add in vitro fertilization to your list above.

Catholic-Bashing: America's Last Acceptable Prejudice:
U.S. groups that are scrupulously PC about offending religious institutions make one major exception: the Roman Catholic Church.

BY: Philip Jenkins
http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Catholic/2003... #

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#482401 Oct 15, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I can - all of the biblical texts are "of God's inspiration".
Why would you think otherwise?
biblical: Of, relating to, or contained in the Bible.

You crawfished....that's worst than eating crow..
Liam

Chicago, IL

#482402 Oct 15, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>I have a question Clay, and I am sincere...what is the difference between the Traditional Catholics and the Vatican 2 Catholics...my understanding is the traditionalist are the Latin mass.
I don't know. Good question. I don't think its just the Mass. I would like to define myself as a traditional Catholic, but I like both Masses. I know many Catholics who wish some of the changes of Vatican II would be reversed. Receiving the Eucharist from a Priest or Deacon while kneeling is something I would like to see come back. I see people who look like they are at a Baseball game, holding their hands out to receive communion from some guy who's not a Priest, and I don't like it. I don't know that you can totally blame Vatican II for that or just a reflection of modern society in general. I know its not like it is here as in other parts of the world.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#482404 Oct 15, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>Everything that happened at Fatima is in the bible. Read about Fatima
Isaiah 42:I am the Lord, that is My name;
And My glory I will not give to another,
Nor My praise to carved images.

**I wonder if the statue of Mary at Fatima is included in this verse?? Thousands do flock there every year to get on their needs to praise Mary...hmmmmm

Satan can pose as an angel of light to confuse and take glory from God. Huh...looks like what happened at Fatima

Location hidden

#482406 Oct 15, 2013
DeAngelo of Memphis wrote:
<quoted text>What a total perversion!! Like I have mentioned in past posts the Catholic church have created their own God, or gods. Only one, the One, is worthy of praise. I don't remember anywhere in the scriptures where God said that an earthly figure is to be praised and worshipped upon. Did Jesus honor Mary the mother as he honored God, the Father? What about the archangels? Did Jesus ever bow down and pray to Gabriel or Michael?! Answer this correctly and your eyes should open immediately to the revelation that pray and prostration to the so-called saints is blasphemous towards the one and only (not 3) God.
I are not a Catholic...I posted that in response to a post that said Catholic don't worship Mary...
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#482407 Oct 15, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>You have it wrong, SPXX or whatever are considered protestant because they are excommunicated and still practice They do NOT folow the Vatican and are not in anyway Catholic.
The excommunications of the four bishops were lifted, although the SSPX is still not in full communion with the Church.

Since: Jan 12

Memphis, TN

#482408 Oct 15, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Closer to God you say.
Just comforting words, with no real meaning.
What does that mean closer to God? If you read the bible you will be closer to God than someone who doesn't? If you pray to God more than someone else you will become closer to God?
How close to God can someone actually get? I thought God loved all of us equally.
If a Muslim or Jew prays to God and reads their Torah or Quar'an do they become closer to God or just christians who read the bible?
.....just comforting words with no meaning.....closer to God.
God loves us equally, as far as those of us that love God. He expresses in clear messages His hatred of liars, thieves, murderers, etc. But the faithful and obedient shall be the ones to experience this love. So reading scriptures that reveal God's will would bring U closer to God because in turn if U are faithful and obedient U will follow His will which would give U favor in God's eyes, and therefore bonding your relationship with Him.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#482409 Oct 15, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know. Good question. I don't think its just the Mass. I would like to define myself as a traditional Catholic, but I like both Masses. I know many Catholics who wish some of the changes of Vatican II would be reversed. Receiving the Eucharist from a Priest or Deacon while kneeling is something I would like to see come back. I see people who look like they are at a Baseball game, holding their hands out to receive communion from some guy who's not a Priest, and I don't like it. I don't know that you can totally blame Vatican II for that or just a reflection of modern society in general. I know its not like it is here as in other parts of the world.
I agree. I'd also describe myself as traditional, although I don't really like the way people label Catholics. They pick that up from the secular media. Too many people inform themselves from the media and take their word as gospel as far as the Church is concerned. There really is no such thing as traditional or liberal. Either one is Catholic or not.

As far as Vatican II goes, it's the interpretation that's been the problem. For instance, communion on the tongue is still the norm.

“HAVE A BLESSED ”

Since: Aug 08

CHRISTMAS

#482410 Oct 15, 2013
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably, but right now Catholicism is in direct conflict with liberalism and secularism. Particularly with abortion, contraception, gay marriage, stem cell research and now Obamacare.
I really don't know of any non Catholic Christian group who stands with us on all these issues.
Seriously....???

A lot of the MOST OUTSPOKEN ..against all this secularism are,EVANGELICAL...OR NON CATHOLICS CHRISTIAN ..

YOU think every one in the Tea Party ...the Religiuos,Right ..is,Catholic .

There,are,liberal CATHOLUCS,organized front PRO CHOICE..there,are,liberal Protestants ....

Don't kid your self ..the,secular atheist want all of us,who love Jesus,.to SHUT UP...

And they use,scare,tactics,and misinformation to show us,as hate filled
And a threat to their way of LUFE ...they out this nonsense out there..
To get votes,scaring folks,...to vote against any one nit in lock step with the agenda,...

One woman I posted to is,convinced they will get a,theocracy ..

The latest tactic ...likening our politicians,to terrorists ..

Had to break this news ..we are in the same boat ..

Memphis, TN

#482411 Oct 15, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>Ever have a friend pray for you? Well we ask Mary to pray for us and she is Christ's mother and Christ never turns away a petition from His mother. This means my prayer petition would go straight to Christ.
Even though Mary was the vessel in which Jesus was born does not make her worthy of hearing the words that are meant for the Father. This is even so when it comes to these priests exalting themselves into a position to hear the confessions of sincere men's hearts that are meant for God to hear. Jesus did not one time tell his disciples to pray to Mary the Mother in order for God to hear them. And not one time did he exalt his mother during the time of his ministry. Jesus ALWAYS said to pray to the Father. ALWAYS said it! NEVER did he say that anyone else was worthy. The archangels even testify and confirm this throughout the scriptures. When we bow and pray, that should be a direct line to the Creator uninterrupted except through efforts of the "fallen ones" who have been and are continuously trying to disrupt the communications and divert sincere prayers towards false gods and idols, just as the Catholics are doing.

“HAVE A BLESSED ”

Since: Aug 08

CHRISTMAS

#482412 Oct 15, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>You ever work at a food bank? I do, I volunteer there for my Church. If the tea party would be the majority, they would get rid of the food banks. Now how Christian is that? Tea partiers say so your poor, then you are lazy and not deserving. What would Christ say and do? He would be angry and He would help the poor.
As,I understand it ...the,TEA,PARTY IS,ALL FOR PRIVATE CHARITY .

they want SMALLER government ..do y our all for OBAMA,CARE then.
???

Memphis, TN

#482413 Oct 15, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I have another tough question Husker that maybe you can help me with.
Can you give me an example from the Bible of a Christian praying to anyone other than God?
Good question and it is so right to the point. Most religious people feel that if it is written in scripture then it must be true. And if it's not, then it ain't.

Memphis, TN

#482414 Oct 15, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
I are not a Catholic...I posted that in response to a post that said Catholic don't worship Mary...
Ok, and I did respond as if U were defending the blasphemous practices of the Catholic church, which is nothing more than a preserved chapter of the Holy Roman Empire complete with their pagan gods and rituals.
marge

Ames, IA

#482416 Oct 15, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>You ever work at a food bank? I do, I volunteer there for my Church. If the tea party would be the majority, they would get rid of the food banks. Now how Christian is that? Tea partiers say so your poor, then you are lazy and not deserving. What would Christ say and do? He would be angry and He would help the poor.
Your wrong about the tea party, so then you vote for the democrats? Your catholic brothers and sisters would have a problem with that.
Gods R Delusions

Orlando, FL

#482418 Oct 15, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously....???
A lot of the MOST OUTSPOKEN ..against all this secularism are,EVANGELICAL...OR NON CATHOLICS CHRISTIAN ..
YOU think every one in the Tea Party ...the Religiuos,Right ..is,Catholic .
There,are,liberal CATHOLUCS,organized front PRO CHOICE..there,are,liberal Protestants ....
Don't kid your self ..the,secular atheist want all of us,who love Jesus,.to SHUT UP...
And they use,scare,tactics,and misinformation to show us,as hate filled
And a threat to their way of LUFE ...they out this nonsense out there..
To get votes,scaring folks,...to vote against any one nit in lock step with the agenda,...
One woman I posted to is,convinced they will get a,theocracy ..
The latest tactic ...likening our politicians,to terrorists ..
Had to break this news ..we are in the same boat ..
In the last Presidential election, the majority of Catholic voted for Obama.

Pew Research
Gods R Delusions

Orlando, FL

#482420 Oct 15, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>No one worships statues of Mary.
In what way is Mary NOT treated as a god by the RCC.

According to the most recent official myth, Mary is more like Jesus (no sin, bodily into Heaven, etc.) than human.

Memphis, TN

#482423 Oct 15, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>No one worships statues of Mary.
Earlier in a post U mentioned that Jesus never turns away a petition of his mother. Can U please point out in scripture where I may find this where Jesus was said to have mentioned it? I would like to learn more about it so if U don't mind....

Location hidden

#482424 Oct 15, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
You say:
He would be angry and He would help the poor.

Question:
Are you saying Christ is not helping the poor????

I see nothing in Scripture that supports any welfare system. While working in Thailand, I saw firsthand...no state welfare. You either worked to earn bahts to buy food, or you had relatives or friends that provided for you, or you did without....

While working in Indonesia, I saw firsthand, children or grandchildren or both, taking care of their elders..no welfare state..

While working in Singapore, I saw firsthand, if you as a son or daughter did not provide for your parents, you were sent to jail..

The above are non Christian locations..

Pr 20:4 ¶ The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing

The evil of slothfulness and the love of ease.

1. It keeps men from the most necessary business, from ploughing and sowing when the season is: The sluggard has ground to occupy, and has ability for it; he can plough, but he will not; some excuse or other he has to shift it off, but the true reason is that it is cold weather. Though ploughing time is not in the depth of winter, it is in the borders of winter, when he thinks it too cold for him to be abroad. Those are scandalously sluggish who, in the way of their business, cannot find in their hearts to undergo so little toil as that of ploughing and so little hardship as that of a cold blast. Thus careless are many in the affairs of their souls; a trifling difficulty will frighten them from the most important duty; but good soldiers must endure hardness.

2. Thereby it deprives them of the most necessary supports: Those that will not plough in seed-time cannot expect to reap in harvest; and therefore they must beg their bread with astonishment when the diligent are bringing home their sheaves with joy. He that will not submit to the labour of ploughing must submit to the shame of begging. They shall beg in harvest, and yet have nothing; no, not then when there is great plenty. Though it may be charity to relieve sluggards, yet a man may, in justice, not relieve them; they deserve to be left to starve. Those that would not provide oil in their vessels begged when the bridegroom came, and were denied.

The above clearly does not support a state welfare system...

Location hidden

#482425 Oct 15, 2013
hojo wrote:
Is there Only One True Church
While on earth, Jesus instructed his disciples to form one unified church, and for that church to spread His word. What happened to Christ's singular, united church?
With Protestant denominations numbering in the tens of thousands, how can Christians know for certain which church Jesus intended for them? And how can the Catholic Church insist that it is the one true Christian Church? Isn’t that a little… well… presumptuous?
Jesus Institutes the Christian ChurchRewind 2,000 years to when Jesus turned to his apostle Peter and said,“And so I tell you, Peter: you are a rock, and on this rock foundation I will build my church, and not even death will ever be able to overcome it.”(Matthew 16:18) Jesus instructed Peter and the other apostles to build a church, one church, His church. They obeyed, and that worldwide and unified church exists to this day.
Is the Catholic Church the One True Church?
So which church did Jesus establish? Historians confirm that the Catholic Church was the first Christian church; the very church initiated by Christ himself. Saint Augustine named this Church “Catholic” which means “united” in order to set it apart from the heretical sects that were beginning to call themselves churches. Jesus required that his church be unified, and for about 1,600 years it was.
The Protestants
Enter Martin Luther, a brilliant but unstable lawyer-scholar-monk who wanted to create reform within the church. His direct challenge of the Church led protestors to not only question and oppose Christ's only church but to completely desert it and create their own churches. These protestors, called “Protestants” divided the unity that Christ ordered and they continue to divide into multiple denominations to this day.
Why Isn’t Division Okay?
Remember, Jesus stipulated that his church be unified:“There will be one flock, one shepherd.”(John 10:16) Jesus even prayed that God would assist in keeping unity within His church:“...Holy father! Keep them safe by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one just as you and I are one.”(John 17:11 ) Jesus required that the church be one singular body of believers.
The early church fathers obeyed His word and worked to maintain unity, as evidenced by this statement in a letter from St. Paul to the Christian church in Rome:“I urge you, my friends to watch out for those who cause divisions and upset people’s faith and go against the teaching which you have received. Keep away from them!”(Romans 16:17). He also cautioned the church in Corinth: "By the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ I appeal to all of you, my friends, to agree in what you say, so that there will be no divisions among you." (1 Corinthians1:10)
The Marks of the One True Church
According to the Bible, Christ’s church can be identified this way:
1. Everyone is welcome.“So there is no difference between Jews and Gentiles, between slaves and free people, between men and women; you are all one in union with Christ Jesus.”(Galatians 3:28)
2. Everyone is equal.“But if you treat people according to their outward appearance, you are guilty of sin…”(James 2:9).
3. Children are treasured. "Jesus said,'Let the children come to me and do not stop them, because the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these." (Matthew 19:14) In His church, children are loved and respected.
4.Church Historian to be the Catholic Church as the only Church that Jesus Christ established, formed and initiated!!
Say on!!!! I am elated to see you calling your pope a liar!!!!
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#482426 Oct 15, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>i have not heard that, I think they are still excommunicated in my Diocese because a member could not have a funeral in our church but had to go to Omaha last year.
That's probably because they are not in full communion with the Church. The excommunications only applied to the four bishops and those were lifted by the Church in 2009. They wouldn't apply to only one diocese.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dogs go to heaven, Pope Francis says 3 hr cooldude 5
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 7 hr Crazy 8,687
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 7 hr Strel 83,885
Pope to meet victims of Philippines' Haiyan storm Dec 14 ELIAS IBARRA 4
Vatican infighting over NSW priest Dec 14 Rev Tony Abbott 4
Pope Condemns Homosexual Behavior (Dec '08) Dec 14 kent 10,604
Pope says 'paradise is open to all of God's cre... Dec 13 True Christian wi... 2
More from around the web