Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 688786 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#482356 Oct 15, 2013

Location hidden

#482357 Oct 15, 2013
lol

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#482358 Oct 15, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
lol...it's still DOROTHY Day. Sorry for making you look, um, let's see, how can I put this kindly....uninformed?....don't take it out on me, lol. Try reading a book once in a while. Non-fiction.
Sera was using wit. You know, humor. Apparently it went over your head.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#482359 Oct 15, 2013
hojo wrote:
Jesus Christ Established a Visible Church On Earth
Every Christian believes that Jesus Christ established and sustains a community of faith, hope and love for all believers. This community we call His Church. The Church that Christ founded is the Catholic Church which has a formal earthly structure established by Christ and which continues under His authority and protection.
In the Old Testament we see God's continual involvement in the lives of the Israelites through appointed prophets. God delivered, instructed and admonished the Israelites. He made His motions in a visible, specific and formal way. He always did so through human hands, mouths, feet, minds and wills. God established a law and a means for executing it.
In concert with His redemptive act, Jesus did three things that established the framework of His Church. First, He chose humans to carry out His work. He appointed Peter to be the visible head of the Church. Jesus said to Peter, "You are Rock and on this rock I will build my Church." (Matthew 16: 18) Jesus said "build," as in to create a structure. Jesus built His structure on specifically chosen human beings Peter and the apostles.
Second, Jesus gave Peter and the apostles the power and authority to carry out His work. "Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven."(Matthew 16:19; 18:18) "Receive the Holy Spirit, whose sins you forgive, they are forgiven, whose sins you retain, they are retained."(John 20:23)
Third, Jesus gave Peter and the apostles commands as to what that work should be. At the last supper, He commanded, "Do this in memory of Me." (Luke 22:19) He commanded them to "Make disciples of all nations" (Matthew 28:19), and to "Go into the whole world and proclaim the Gospel to every creature." (Mark 16:15)
The early Church was structured in a hierarchical manner as it is today. We see in Acts, chapter 15 how the apostles and the elders came together under the leadership of St. Peter to decide the question of what was required of Gentiles. We also see how St. Peter was regarded as the head of the Church when St. Paul, "Went up to Jerusalem to confer with Kephas [Peter] and remained with him fifteen days." (Galatians 1:18) There is no Scriptural evidence of independent local churches.
The Catholic Church is the only church that can claim to have been founded by Christ personally. Every other church traces its lineage back to a mere human person such as Martin Luther or John Wesley. The Catholic Church can trace its lineage back to Jesus Christ who appointed St. Peter as the first pope. This line of popes has continued unbroken for almost 2,000 years.
God rules, instructs and sanctifies His people through His Church. Under her teaching office, the Catholic Church preserves the Word of God. She is the custodian, keeper, dispenser and interpreter of teachings of Christ. And she accomplishes this under the protection of the Holy Spirit.
Since the forum knows you didn't write this from your own thoughts, posting as if it was, is palagarism and is very wrong.

Next time, please include the link.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...

BTW - getting your "faith" answers from "Yahoo Answers" is not having faith in "God".

You are a fraud.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#482360 Oct 15, 2013
Is there Only One True Church

While on earth, Jesus instructed his disciples to form one unified church, and for that church to spread His word. What happened to Christ's singular, united church?
With Protestant denominations numbering in the tens of thousands, how can Christians know for certain which church Jesus intended for them? And how can the Catholic Church insist that it is the one true Christian Church? Isn’t that a little… well… presumptuous?
Jesus Institutes the Christian ChurchRewind 2,000 years to when Jesus turned to his apostle Peter and said,“And so I tell you, Peter: you are a rock, and on this rock foundation I will build my church, and not even death will ever be able to overcome it.”(Matthew 16:18) Jesus instructed Peter and the other apostles to build a church, one church, His church. They obeyed, and that worldwide and unified church exists to this day.
Is the Catholic Church the One True Church?
So which church did Jesus establish? Historians confirm that the Catholic Church was the first Christian church; the very church initiated by Christ himself. Saint Augustine named this Church “Catholic” which means “united” in order to set it apart from the heretical sects that were beginning to call themselves churches. Jesus required that his church be unified, and for about 1,600 years it was.
The Protestants
Enter Martin Luther, a brilliant but unstable lawyer-scholar-monk who wanted to create reform within the church. His direct challenge of the Church led protestors to not only question and oppose Christ's only church but to completely desert it and create their own churches. These protestors, called “Protestants” divided the unity that Christ ordered and they continue to divide into multiple denominations to this day.
Why Isn’t Division Okay?
Remember, Jesus stipulated that his church be unified:“There will be one flock, one shepherd.”(John 10:16) Jesus even prayed that God would assist in keeping unity within His church:“...Holy father! Keep them safe by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one just as you and I are one.”(John 17:11 ) Jesus required that the church be one singular body of believers.
The early church fathers obeyed His word and worked to maintain unity, as evidenced by this statement in a letter from St. Paul to the Christian church in Rome:“I urge you, my friends to watch out for those who cause divisions and upset people’s faith and go against the teaching which you have received. Keep away from them!”(Romans 16:17). He also cautioned the church in Corinth: "By the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ I appeal to all of you, my friends, to agree in what you say, so that there will be no divisions among you." (1 Corinthians1:10)
The Marks of the One True Church
According to the Bible, Christ’s church can be identified this way:

1. Everyone is welcome.“So there is no difference between Jews and Gentiles, between slaves and free people, between men and women; you are all one in union with Christ Jesus.”(Galatians 3:28)
2. Everyone is equal.“But if you treat people according to their outward appearance, you are guilty of sin…”(James 2:9).
3. Children are treasured. "Jesus said,'Let the children come to me and do not stop them, because the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these." (Matthew 19:14) In His church, children are loved and respected.
4. The Church is out of this world. Christ’s kingdom was, and is, "not of this world" (John 18:36) the Catholic Churches loyalty is only to Jesus Christ.

According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Christ's Church can be identified by these four marks or attributes: "It is One, Holy, Catholic (Universal), and Apostolic (CCC155).
Where can the one true church be found? History, tradition, and even the Bible itself is confirmed
by the highest majority of Church Historian to be the Catholic Church as the only Church that Jesus Christ established, formed and initiated!!
Michael

Canada

#482361 Oct 15, 2013
DeAngelo of Memphis wrote:
<quoted text>That is the belief system of Muslims. Once U submit to the will of God (the true meaning of the word "Islam") and then turn away, U are surely worthy of death and it will be carried out swiftly. It is not a lie because this is the law of the reigion. God said it Himself plenty of times concerning man's disobedience that people should certainly be put to death if they go against the laws of God which the Muslims follow.
See how crazy organized religion can be?

Just read the bible about God putting people to death or punishing them for trivial matters.

How many innocent millions have died in the name of all religions?

Chuck

Dublin, OH

#482362 Oct 15, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Chuck, do you think "crappy" is a bad word?
How does this answer my question?

Husker doesn't answer the tough questions either.

Hey...since you're here. I was told the story of Fatima is in the Bible. Do you know what book I can find it?

Albuquerque, NM

#482363 Oct 15, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
Luke 18:9-14
New International Version (NIV)
The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector
9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness
and looked down on everyone else,
Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed:
‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people
—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector.
12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’
13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said,‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’
14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
I wonder when Catholics will envoke being humble.

Hmmmm.......
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#482364 Oct 15, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks, but the poster meant to say Doris to upset me. I have reported her to Topix and her friends for harassing me.
I wouldn't put much store in what that poster says. I and the rest of the Catholics here have been the object of numerous "personal attacks and insults" and she didn't say a word. Not one.

That speaks volumes.

You'd do better to ignore THAT poster.

Albuquerque, NM

#482365 Oct 15, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
I am familiar with this verse but I'm curious as to why you are posting it. It doesn't mention baptism so how can one be exalted???
One does not need to perform a ritual in the eyes of "God", if one can cleanse themselves by doing good deeds and showing love and kindness towards others.

Those who think water puts them on a pedestal are far from the stand and will probably have to climb up from floor in order to even reach the first step of the pedestal.

Location hidden

#482366 Oct 15, 2013
StarC wrote:
Five famous poets that became Catholics. <3 http://www.ncregister.com/blog/matthew-archbo...
James Joyce did not look kindly on the Catholic Church."The Dubliners" particularly.Being Catholic made them better writers??? I dont understand.Tolstoy was often at war with the Orthodox Church. Dostoevsky has his difficulties with Orthodoxy as well. Both are brilliant.

Location hidden

#482367 Oct 15, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Sera was using wit. You know, humor. Apparently it went over your head.
I am trying to find where in the Bible it talks about Fatima...you know honey,the Holy Book...the Book that you and I read together...

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#482368 Oct 15, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>Bullsh*t. If you would see what she did, you would wonder about her too. She kept on making excuses instead of asking the pother poster to stop . That in itself says she isn't THAT religious. Shows you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure her out. And you do bash the Church and the Catholic posters. I have read what you post to others and it's not very nice.
One more
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>I will not deny that I haven't bashed the Catholic church because I DID in the past....But I have try NOT to bash the Church any further. The problem I do have is with some of the Catholic posters personal insults on this forum hiding behind the guidance of the Catholic Church WHICH IS WRONG...Christ would embrace Rose a lot quicker than He will embrace you and your pointing of the fingers at her. And you have never seen me use that word that you used in this post...or any swear word..
KNIT AND,PRAY ..HUSKER ...PERSNICKETY..

Please,stop dragging thing from one forum.to another ...

And,I did exactly NOTHING to pick up YOUR ,5 YEAR r old fight with the,other poster ......I am not fighting your battles,..

My own opinion is DO not use GOds name in one breath and insult in another
..it makes people throw rocks ..at HIM..And you have seen that ...many times,..

The,woman IN question is,pro choice ...And,JEWISH ...She is,VERY Respectful of My
CHRISTIAN BELIEFS..And we have discussed that ..THEY ARE, still waiting for Messiah...the ,Jewish ..are..

Your Pope,..I believe the las ONE says,to RESPECT THAT ..

She was very ill....And,at the time...needed two surgeries,..was in terrible pain ..... was,being made fun of about it ...BADLY ..wasn't she ..making fun of her pain .And medication...was,not at all Chrisian
So she,fought back with you..

She does,not see You as,a,Christian..I can't help that ...

And I chose,not to get into it .

AND you are maligning her here,among folks,who are not a all involved with your fight ...And,she herself isn't much on Topix ...

None of the people on that forum...says, ANYTHING BAD ABOUT MY BELIEFS,TO ME ..they just disagree ..most are,sine form of non Chrisian or atheist ...

And I'm not fighting ...or insulting them ...or any one for it ....

AND THAT FIGHT BELONGS,THERE ...not Here...

And if I have,and,do discuss,my Saviour,I will do so in.the venue,I CHOOSE ...And,discuss it respectfully ...NOT IN A,FREE,FOR ALL
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#482369 Oct 15, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Sera was using wit. You know, humor. Apparently it went over your head.
Look everybody....A PERSONAL ATTACK AND INSULT!!!!!!!!!!

Ooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

she isn't going to like that!!!!!!!!!!

OKAY, WHERE'S THE REBUKE FOR THIS PERSONAL ATTACK AND INSULT??????????

HMMMMMMM???? WHERE IS IT??????????
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#482370 Oct 15, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Please don't include me within your made-up, man-made lies and nonsense.
We've gone over this before hojo.....tsk-tsk....
You, New Age. are just another "pea" in the Protestant "pod" of bible only self-interpreting editorializing YOUR OWN (personalized) MEANING of the bible...... Yes---you fit in (exactly) with all the rest of the contradicting, inconsistent and conflicting (hodge-podge) of the other 42,149 "fundies" fundamentalists NONE of who agree with each other!!!
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#482371 Oct 15, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
One does not need to perform a ritual in the eyes of "God", if one can cleanse themselves by doing good deeds and showing love and kindness towards others.
Isaiah 64:6 We have all become like one who is unclean,
and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment.
We all fade like a leaf,
and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

**Did you say something about good deeds??

sigh...freaks
Michael

Canada

#482372 Oct 15, 2013
hojo wrote:
Jesus Christ Established a Visible Church On Earth
Every Christian believes that Jesus Christ established and sustains a community of faith, hope and love for all believers. This community we call His Church. The Church that Christ founded is the Catholic Church which has a formal earthly structure established by Christ and which continues under His authority and protection.
In the Old Testament we see God's continual involvement in the lives of the Israelites through appointed prophets. God delivered, instructed and admonished the Israelites. He made His motions in a visible, specific and formal way. He always did so through human hands, mouths, feet, minds and wills. God established a law and a means for executing it.
In concert with His redemptive act, Jesus did three things that established the framework of His Church. First, He chose humans to carry out His work. He appointed Peter to be the visible head of the Church. Jesus said to Peter, "You are Rock and on this rock I will build my Church." (Matthew 16: 18) Jesus said "build," as in to create a structure. Jesus built His structure on specifically chosen human beings Peter and the apostles.
Second, Jesus gave Peter and the apostles the power and authority to carry out His work. "Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven."(Matthew 16:19; 18:18) "Receive the Holy Spirit, whose sins you forgive, they are forgiven, whose sins you retain, they are retained."(John 20:23)
Third, Jesus gave Peter and the apostles commands as to what that work should be. At the last supper, He commanded, "Do this in memory of Me." (Luke 22:19) He commanded them to "Make disciples of all nations" (Matthew 28:19), and to "Go into the whole world and proclaim the Gospel to every creature." (Mark 16:15)
The early Church was structured in a hierarchical manner as it is today. We see in Acts, chapter 15 how the apostles and the elders came together under the leadership of St. Peter to decide the question of what was required of Gentiles. We also see how St. Peter was regarded as the head of the Church when St. Paul, "Went up to Jerusalem to confer with Kephas [Peter] and remained with him fifteen days." (Galatians 1:18) There is no Scriptural evidence of independent local churches.
The Catholic Church is the only church that can claim to have been founded by Christ personally. Every other church traces its lineage back to a mere human person such as Martin Luther or John Wesley. The Catholic Church can trace its lineage back to Jesus Christ who appointed St. Peter as the first pope. This line of popes has continued unbroken for almost 2,000 years.
God rules, instructs and sanctifies His people through His Church. Under her teaching office, the Catholic Church preserves the Word of God. She is the custodian, keeper, dispenser and interpreter of teachings of Christ. And she accomplishes this under the protection of the Holy Spirit.
Why continue to build HUGE churches in the name of God, if we can't even feed the poor?

Would this be the choice of Jesus? Big churches full of priceless stain glass windows, plush carpeting, gold chalices, and expensive oak panelling, or build practical buildings and feed the poor with the money left over?
marge

Leesburg, GA

#482373 Oct 15, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>I am trying to find where in the Bible it talks about Fatima...you know honey,the Holy Book...the Book that you and I read together...
I think that's great that you read the Bible together we do the same read the whole Bible aloud last year and enjoyed it so much we're doing it again, this time I read the odd chapters and he reads the even ones:)

Location hidden

#482374 Oct 15, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that's great that you read the Bible together we do the same read the whole Bible aloud last year and enjoyed it so much we're doing it again, this time I read the odd chapters and he reads the even ones:)
it brings you closer as a couple and closer to God...

Location hidden

#482375 Oct 15, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Look everybody....A PERSONAL ATTACK AND INSULT!!!!!!!!!!
Ooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
she isn't going to like that!!!!!!!!!!
OKAY, WHERE'S THE REBUKE FOR THIS PERSONAL ATTACK AND INSULT??????????
HMMMMMMM???? WHERE IS IT??????????
You first insulted,. Short memory. Remember: "DOROTHY DAY read a book"All I did was show your own lack in not getting the humor. Your own insult got turned on you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Oct 11 Married in 10,646
News Pope Francis Denounces Gender Confirmation Surg... Oct 9 TerriB1 1
News Paul Is No Inventor of Christianity, Says Pope (Sep '08) Oct 2 The Bible Student 81
News Boston cardinal, Jewish leaders have Holocaust ... (Feb '09) Sep '17 Tom Fontaine 42
News Catholic clergy fires back after Bannon criticism Sep '17 South Knox Hombre 1
News Evangelical Trump supporters want meeting with ... Aug '17 Ms Sassy 1
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Aug '17 -Prince Of Darkness- 84,837
More from around the web