Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
464,261 - 464,280 of 533,459 Comments Last updated 3 min ago
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>The Catholic Church teaches otherwise. Many people say its okay because its cool to be for gay marriage now, if you want to be in and popular. I don't think people actually understand the sinfulness of gay marriage or pre marital sex . We all sin, Michael. We aren't supposed to go with what is popular, we are to follow our hearts, not what's in style or cool.
If we are all sinners then none of us have a right to point out sins of others, yet this goes on continuously on this forum by those that believe they are saved.

UNBELIEVABLE!

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
Ignore my above post if you wish
but
IT CUTS TO THE CHASE...
WHEN ALL THE UNPRODUCTIVE AND UNPROFITABLE INFORMATION ON THIS FORUM HAS BEEN ARGUED AND FOUND OBSOLETE...
AND YOU FIND YOURSELF FACING THE FACT...
THAT
JESUS HAS COME AND GONE AND YOU ARE LEFT HERE HOPELESSLY TRAPPED
IN A CRISIS THAT HAS NO SOLUTION....
For only a short moment
YOU WILL LOOK BACK TO THE TRUTH OF GOD'S WORD
THAT YOU HAVE THUMBED YOU NOSES AT..
AND RUE THE DAY THAT YOU SPURNED THE TRUTH
IT IS THEN YOU WILL FACE TRUTHS WITH DESPAIR ..
BUT
THIS QUANDARY WILL ONLY TROUBLE YOUR CONSCIOUS FOR AS SHORT WHILE,
BECAUSE YOUR MIND WILL BE TURNED TO A BURNING HATED FOR GOD
AND YOU WILL BECOME PART AND PARTY TO A INQUISITION
AGAINST GOD ORCHESTRATED BY A MAN CALLED THE ANTICHRIST,
WHO WILL SUDDENLY COME ON THE SCIENCE AND HE WILL BECOME YOUR GOD..
AND YOU WILL LITERATELY DRANK THE BLOOD OF THOSE THAT ARE BEHEADED
BECAUSE THEY HAVE TURNED TO GOD...
you say you will never do it...
but
Jer_12:5 If thou hast run with the footmen, and they have wearied thee, then how canst thou contend with horses? and if in the land of peace, wherein thou trustedst, they wearied thee, then how wilt thou do in the swelling of Jordan?
IF YOU REFUSE TO LIVE ACCORDING TO GOD'S WORD NOW ...
WHAT WILL YOU DO WHEN BELIEVING IN HIM WILL MEAN THE FORFEITURE OF YOUR LIFE.
~~~

IN THAT DAY ...

SUCH TRIVIA SUCH AS ...WHERE CAINS WIFE CAME FROM WILL NOT MATTER..

AND THESE THINGS THAT ARE MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING,

Such as what SAINT SO & SO SAID AT SUCH & SUCH A TIME ...OR WHO IS THE SUPPOSED PATRON SAINT OF WHAT

OR WHAT ROCK YOU STOOD ON BEFORE THE RAPTURE WILL NOT COME TO MIND..

ON EARTH THERE WILL WICKEDNESS AND TRIBULATION AS HAS NEVER BEEN IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD...

THE BIBLE SAYS

Heb_2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

Heb_12:25 See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven:
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Judged:

Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>The Catholic Church teaches otherwise. Many people say its okay because its cool to be for gay marriage now, if you want to be in and popular. I don't think people actually understand the sinfulness of gay marriage or pre marital sex . We all sin, Michael. We aren't supposed to go with what is popular, we are to follow our hearts, not what's in style or cool.
The catholic church today is in deep trouble.

Most roman catholics do not attend mandatory sunday mass weekly.

MOST roman catholics use or have used forms of birth control the church says is sinful.

Most roman catholics believe celebacy of clergy should be optional, the church says NO!

Millions of roman catholics are divorced and the church screams you cannot dissolve a sacrament.

Most of the american roman catholic nuns are defying the vatican on their role in the church.

Imagine a large corporation where MOST of its employees don't follow mandatory rules/regulations?

Thats your catholic church today.

Michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
IN THAT DAY ...
Such as what SAINT SO & SO SAID AT SUCH & SUCH A TIME ...OR WHO IS THE SUPPOSED PATRON SAINT OF WHAT
OR WHAT ROCK YOU STOOD ON BEFORE THE RAPTURE WILL NOT COME TO MIND..
ON EARTH THERE WILL WICKEDNESS AND TRIBULATION AS HAS NEVER BEEN IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD...
THE BIBLE SAYS
Heb_2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;
Heb_12:25 See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven:
Confrinting says........

Michael says........You say its trivial because you DON'T have an answer.(lol)

I don't find it trivial. I want to know the answer? Please tell all of us.

....Where did Cain find his wife?
Dust Storm

Pipestone, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Judged:

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you haven't been paying attention to the Pope's recent openness and candidness on this issue.
'"A person once asked me, in a provocative manner, if I approved of homosexuality. I replied with another question:'Tell me: when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person?' We must always consider the person," Francis added."
It appears with your comment - you are within the 23% who disapprove his comments.
"The independent Connecticut-based Quinnipiac University poll found that support for Pope Francis' widely-reported comments is at 68 percent among American Catholics, though 23 percent have disagreed. The support was found strongly among men and women of all age groups."
http://www.christianpost.com/news/poll-pope-f...
Hatred like you put forth will be a key factor in the demise of your religion.
Keep it up sir - thanks!
Pope Francis excommunicated a priest for promoting homosexual marriage. He didn't advocate for homosexuality as you suggest. What he said is in perfect compliance with church teaching. The church reaches out to homosexuals with love and compassion as the apostles did to repent of their way. It offers support and encouragement to refrain from acting out homosexual desires. It seeks to offer comfort in Christ who can strengthen them beyond fleshly desires. All fall short of the Glory of God, but Pope Francis is not saying to hate them because they have struggles. You cannot reach someone if you cannot dialogue with them. In context he was talking about people who with a sincere heart and desire seek to do the will of God. However he is not saying its good, proper or that the church welcomes defiance of its teachings If you wish to twist what was said to conform to your self value as many in the secular media did then so be it, but it is not what he said. Many were in a huff when the Pope took action contrary to the false position you stated inserting what you wish to believe, because it never existed. However it does magnify your severe ignorance of the churches position. If they refuse to adhere to the church and try to force it to change to conform to their values and perceptions then they are not in communion with the church. Actions speak much louder than words and Pope Francis spoke loudly with his action against a defiant priest.

But thank you for yet again showing you have no clue what you are talking about. Your perfect record is in tact.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

42,001 different christian sects, each sect claiming the very same Holy Spirit of God, guides them each to believe their own conflicting doctrine and biased belief.

......makes no common sense!
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Pope Francis excommunicated a priest for promoting homosexual marriage. He didn't advocate for homosexuality as you suggest. What he said is in perfect compliance with church teaching. The church reaches out to homosexuals with love and compassion as the apostles did to repent of their way. It offers support and encouragement to refrain from acting out homosexual desires. It seeks to offer comfort in Christ who can strengthen them beyond fleshly desires. All fall short of the Glory of God, but Pope Francis is not saying to hate them because they have struggles. You cannot reach someone if you cannot dialogue with them. In context he was talking about people who with a sincere heart and desire seek to do the will of God. However he is not saying its good, proper or that the church welcomes defiance of its teachings If you wish to twist what was said to conform to your self value as many in the secular media did then so be it, but it is not what he said. Many were in a huff when the Pope took action contrary to the false position you stated inserting what you wish to believe, because it never existed. However it does magnify your severe ignorance of the churches position. If they refuse to adhere to the church and try to force it to change to conform to their values and perceptions then they are not in communion with the church. Actions speak much louder than words and Pope Francis spoke loudly with his action against a defiant priest.
But thank you for yet again showing you have no clue what you are talking about. Your perfect record is in tact.
Dust storm says..........Pope Francis excommunicated a priest for promoting homosexual marriage.

Michael says.....Pope Francis just two months ago stated......"WHO AM I TO JUDGE"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-234897...

..If the Pope excommunicated every roman catholic, every priest/bishop/cardinal who is Gay, the catholic church would be in crisis mode immediately.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Confrinting says........
THE TRIVIA HAS AN ANSWER...

Gen_5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

NO ONE KNOWS HOW OLD THE CAIN WAS WHEN HE WENT TO THE LAND OF NOE

Gen_4:16 And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.

ALL THESE YEARS ADAM AND EVER WERE HAVING OTHER CHILDREN..WHO WERE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLYING THE INHERITANCE OF THE EARTH.

WHEN CAIN KNEW HIS WIFE...

Gen_4:17 And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.

CAIN COULD HAVE HAD AS MANY WIVES AS HE WANTED AND ALL OF THE DISTANT KIN..

A LOT OF PEOPLE CAN BE BORN IN A PERIOD OF 930 YEARS...
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
Facts are Facts.
Sola Scriptura and the Early Church
By William Webster
http://www.christiantruth.com/solascriptura.h ...
Is Sola Scriptura a Protestant Concoction?
A Biblical Defense of Sola Scriptura
by Dr. Greg Bahnsen
http://www.christiantruth.com/bahnsen.html
Is the Bible Alone Sufficient for Spiritual Truth?
http://www.carm.org/catholic/biblesufficient ....
Are the Scriptures Sufficient?
http://www.carm.org/catholic/scripture_suffic ...
The Authority of Scripture
http://www.the-highway.com/scripture1_Webster ...
What Do We Mean by
Sola Scriptura?
by Dr. W. Robert Godfrey
http://www.the-highway.com/Sola_Scriptura_God ...
I'm sorry, but if I were to go over those pamphlets, it still wouldn't solve the underlying problem: who is the infallible authority to decide which books are Biblical and who's interpretations are the truth?
You can NOT have an infallible collection of books, with NO infallible authority to interpret them.

As I've pointed out earlier, born agains believe the Holy Spirit interprets it for them (after their alter call). How come they don't come to the same conclusions??

Sola Scripture opens up an abyss of a mess. Its a man made doctrine and is evident by men like you... Who have come and gone since the Bible was published in 1452. No two generations have preached the same Christianity since. Doesn't that alarm you in the least?
Dust Storm

Pipestone, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Judged:

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Dust storm says..........Pope Francis excommunicated a priest for promoting homosexual marriage.
Michael says.....Pope Francis just two months ago stated......"WHO AM I TO JUDGE"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-234897...
..If the Pope excommunicated every roman catholic, every priest/bishop/cardinal who is Gay, the catholic church would be in crisis mode immediately.
Again you took it out of context and inserted what you wanted to believe he said as the media so often does. That myth was destroyed but yet not a peep from mainstream media. In context was explained above, but your comprehension is more along the lines of see spot run. Just keep saying I think I can Mikey and then maybe someday by a true miracle you will be able to comprehend something beyond your obsessive compulsion to remain clueless.

“Greatest Love”

Since: Aug 08

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Confrinting says........
Again???

Most likely his,sister ...

But CONFRINT IS,CORRECT .

SHOULD,WE BE DEEMED WORTHY through the,BLOOD,OF our SAVIOUR...WE,shall
Know the answers,we,seek in the,afterlife ..if God,wills it..

I imagine there are whole libraries,of earth events,.

Arguing about who mated, did,Mary have children...how old is,the earth.

All mysteries,we,cannot Know for sure,.

The,ONLY Surety is,Christ gave His,life ..took our sins,to the,Cross..satisfied Gods,perfect JUSTICE FOR US ....
ONLY HIS,BLOOD WASHES US .

That should be your focus,if you really are,interested in truth ..

In my opinion.
Clay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
To Clay....several times...with no response....
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Since the man of God is "thoroughly furnished" by all scripture, inspired of God, unto good works....what else is necessary????!!!!
How can he be more "thoroughly furnished"????!!!!
thoroughly: completely
- several times its been pointed out to you and the other fundies on here.. When Paul wrote that letter to Timothy, he was speaking of the OT Books. Exactly WHICH OT Books should be the only concern of yours. He likely was telling Timothy to search Tobit, Sirach, Maccabbees ...

Just this Sunday, the rector of the Cathedral have a nice homily directing us to do the same. Pray, read the scriptures, and reflect. At no time did it occur to anyone to 'read the scriptures and form our own doctrines'. Thats the fundie interpretations of Pauls letter. Its madness. You're nuts if you think the Apostles directed the folks to grab a Bible and have at it! Christ didn't die so you guys can lead everyone on a scavenger hunt using some of the Bible.
Our Lord started a Church. Period.
Concerned in Brasil

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Judged:

Michael wrote:
42,001 different christian sects, each sect claiming the very same Holy Spirit of God, guides them each to believe their own conflicting doctrine and biased belief.
......makes no common sense!
I will respond again to those that like using the 33000, 42000 or 42001

figure.

For starters the list is from the Christian Encyclopedia

How they get the 33 or 42 numbers is the same jsut different year.

The Facts and Stats on "33,000 Denominations"

Independents (about 22000)
Protestants (about 9000)
"Marginals" (about 1600)
Orthodox (781)
Roman Catholics (242)
Anglicans (168)

Denominations. A denomination is defined in this Encyclopedia as an organized aggregate of worship centers or congregations of similar ecclesiastical tradition within a specific country; i.e. as an organized Christian church or tradition or religious group or community of believers, within a specific country, whose component congregations and members are called by the same denominational name in different areas, regarding themselves as one autonomous

The key word here is autonomous.

So for example in Canada A Lutheran congregation that has a senior's home attached and a Somali refugee outreach program as my Mom's family church does for tax purposes has separated it self and made itself Autonomous and thus counted as one of the 9000 along with many other Lutheran churches that do the same and then all counted separate when in different countries as they file again autonomous country taxes.

YET THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME STATEMENT OF FAITH
AND IN FACT THE STATEMENT OF FAITHS OF PROTESTANT CONGREGATIONS AND THE INDEPENDENTS ARE VERY CLOSE TO THE SAME EXCEPT LIKE MORMONS, JW'S ETC.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize this number is basic fiction grossly miss represents the common ground they share.

This by no means represents that there 42000 divisions especially in light of the Fact Protestants from many backgrounds pray eat and worship together in many different interdenominational functions.
It represents differences and yes in some cases big ones but the vast majority are regional, ethnicity, and language reasons.
Mennonites and Lutherans share virtually 99% the same beliefs, but when Dutch immigrates to North America as did Germans do to language and cultural issues they formed their own sects.

We are all Christians.

So basically anyone use this number as some sort of ammunition to say see they can't agree is well being deceitful disingenuous or simply quoting a number with out any knowledge of how the number was arrived at.

But Hey is it not interesting that before the Reformation and one Protestant sect existed there were already about 1000 just within the so called Universal Church all calling themselves the one Catholic Church.

SO INSTEAD OF ORTHODOX AND RCC POINTING THE FINGERS WHY DON'T THEY SHOW US HOW TO DO UNITY. SO FAR NOT SO GOOD.
SHOW US HOW ROME IS MAKING PEACE WITH THE EASTERN ORTHODOX.

The RCC has had a 1000 years to do it and failed, so she is the last to start pointing fingers, talk about the pot call the porcelain black. If Rome can't end the Schism with her So called Apostle of Rome and so called 2000 years of holy tradition then she is found empty and full of it.

Yeesssh

FOR MORE GOTO
http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a106.htm

OH p.s.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
- several times its been pointed out to you and the other fundies on here.. When Paul wrote that letter to Timothy, he was speaking of the OT Books. Exactly WHICH OT Books should be the only concern of yours. He likely was telling Timothy to search Tobit, Sirach, Maccabbees ...
Just this Sunday, the rector of the Cathedral have a nice homily directing us to do the same. Pray, read the scriptures, and reflect. At no time did it occur to anyone to 'read the scriptures and form our own doctrines'. Thats the fundie interpretations of Pauls letter. Its madness. You're nuts if you think the Apostles directed the folks to grab a Bible and have at it! Christ didn't die so you guys can lead everyone on a scavenger hunt using some of the Bible.
Our Lord started a Church. Period.
~~~

YOU WROTE

Our Lord started a Church.

~~~

THE CHURCH IS AS OLD AS GOD IS..

THE CHURCH DEFINED IN GREEK

G1577
&#949;&#787;&#954; &#954;&#955;&#951; &#963;&#953;&#769; &#945;
ekkle&#772;sia
ek-klay-see'-ah
From a compound of G1537 and a derivative of G2564; a calling out, that is,(concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both):- assembly, church.

EXISTED IN THE WILDERNESS IN MOSES DAY..

Act_7:38 This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:

UNLESS YOU CAN PROVE THAT STEPHEN LIED...
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but if I were to go over those pamphlets, it still wouldn't solve the underlying problem: who is the infallible authority to decide which books are Biblical and who's interpretations are the truth?
You can NOT have an infallible collection of books, with NO infallible authority to interpret them.
As I've pointed out earlier, born agains believe the Holy Spirit interprets it for them (after their alter call). How come they don't come to the same conclusions??
Sola Scripture opens up an abyss of a mess. Its a man made doctrine and is evident by men like you... Who have come and gone since the Bible was published in 1452. No two generations have preached the same Christianity since. Doesn't that alarm you in the least?
God is God He can and will use whom He pleases.
Regardless of their station in life.
Peter was a fishermen, Paul was a Pharisee, and Luke was a doctor.
Mary Magdalin was a prostitute.
Yet all these people were chosen of God for a great purpose in life,{WHAT WAS THAT GREAT PURPOSE CLAY??) TO SPREAD THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST TO ALL MEN , FROM EVERY TRIBE TONGUE AND NATION.
If God can inspire men to write the Holy Scriptures , He surly can inspire them with Knowledge and a revelation of His Holy Word.
GOD TEACHES HIS PEOPLE CLAY IT IS THAT SIMPLE, WHEN MAN OPENS THEIR HEARTS AND SOULS TO GOD HIS HOLY SPIRIT ENGULFS THE VERY ESSENCE OF MAN. HE IS OUR LEADER OUR TEACHER WHO OPENS US TO ALL TRUTHS.
GOD GAVE SOLOMON THE DESIRE OF HIS HEART WHICH WAS WISDOM, WE ARE TO PRAY FOR WISDOM HANG IT AROUND OUR NECK LIKE A PRECIOUS STONE,
Concerned in Brasil

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Judged:

Clay the Fool Wrote.

My Response

Really and the RCC is infallible they authority the one that decreed through Papal Bull and then some 27 Popes affirmed the Inquisitions, the RCC murdered some 20 million + over 500 years with her infallible authority in the name of Jesus torturing and murdering those who believe as I do for example adult baptism.

So before you get to Alter calls FOOL you got something way bigger than that to deal with.

Fool wrote

My Response

Who what you are referring to above is beyond comprehension Evangelical Protestant Christians believe the body of believers the through the Holy Spirit interprets, not individuals you make it nonsense and then tear down all the while patting yourself on the back you are a Fool.

Fool wrote

My Response

Once again a man made statement from a fool that has not a shred of biblical or Historical evidence to show its truth, its just Blah Blah from a Fool
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Psalm 39
New King James Version (NKJV)
Prayer for Wisdom and Forgiveness
To the Chief Musician. To Jeduthun. A Psalm of David.
39 I said,“I will guard my ways,
Lest I sin with my tongue;
I will restrain my mouth with a muzzle,
While the wicked are before me.”
2 I was mute with silence,
I held my peace even from good;
And my sorrow was stirred up.
3 My heart was hot within me;
While I was musing, the fire burned.
Then I spoke with my tongue:
4 “Lord, make me to know my end,
And what is the measure of my days,
That I may know how frail I am.
5 Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths,
And my age is as nothing before You;
Certainly every man at his best state is but vapor. Selah
6 Surely every man walks about like a shadow;
Surely they busy themselves in vain;
He heaps up riches,
And does not know who will gather them.
7 “And now, Lord, what do I wait for?
My hope is in You.
8 Deliver me from all my transgressions;
Do not make me the reproach of the foolish.
9 I was mute, I did not open my mouth,
Because it was You who did it.
10 Remove Your plague from me;
I am consumed by the blow of Your hand.
11 When with rebukes You correct man for iniquity,
You make his beauty melt away like a moth;
Surely every man is vapor. Selah
12 “Hear my prayer, O Lord,
And give ear to my cry;
Do not be silent at my tears;
For I am a stranger with You,
A sojourner, as all my fathers were.
13 Remove Your gaze from me, that I may regain strength,
Before I go away and am no more.”
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

1 Kings 3:1-15
New International Version (NIV)

Solomon Asks for Wisdom3 Solomon made an alliance with Pharaoh king of Egypt and married his daughter. He brought her to the City of David until he finished building his palace and the temple of the Lord, and the wall around Jerusalem. 2 The people, however, were still sacrificing at the high places, because a temple had not yet been built for the Name of the Lord. 3 Solomon showed his love for the Lord by walking according to the instructions given him by his father David, except that he offered sacrifices and burned incense on the high places.
4 The king went to Gibeon to offer sacrifices, for that was the most important high place, and Solomon offered a thousand burnt offerings on that altar. 5 At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said,“Ask for whatever you want me to give you.”

6 Solomon answered,“You have shown great kindness to your servant, my father David, because he was faithful to you and righteous and upright in heart. You have continued this great kindness to him and have given him a son to sit on his throne this very day.

7 “Now, Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties. 8 Your servant is here among the people you have chosen, a great people, too numerous to count or number. 9 So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?”

10 The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this. 11 So God said to him,“Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice, 12 I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be. 13 Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for—both wealth and honor—so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings. 14 And if you walk in obedience to me and keep my decrees and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life.” 15 Then Solomon awoke—and he realized it had been a dream.
He returned to Jerusalem, stood before the ark of the Lord’s covenant and sacrificed burnt offerings and fellowship offerings. Then he gave a feast for all his court.

“Greatest Love”

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

Concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
I will respond again to those that like using the 33000, 42000 or 42001
figure.
For starters the list is from the Christian Encyclopedia
How they get the 33 or 42 numbers is the same jsut different year.
The Facts and Stats on "33,000 Denominations"
Independents (about 22000)
Protestants (about 9000)
"Marginals" (about 1600)
Orthodox (781)
Roman Catholics (242)
Anglicans (168)
Denominations. A denomination is defined in this Encyclopedia as an organized aggregate of worship centers or congregations of similar ecclesiastical tradition within a specific country; i.e. as an organized Christian church or tradition or religious group or community of believers, within a specific country, whose component congregations and members are called by the same denominational name in different areas, regarding themselves as one autonomous
The key word here is autonomous.
So for example in Canada A Lutheran congregation that has a senior's home attached and a Somali refugee outreach program as my Mom's family church does for tax purposes has separated it self and made itself Autonomous and thus counted as one of the 9000 along with many other Lutheran churches that do the same and then all counted separate when in different countries as they file again autonomous country taxes.
YET THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME STATEMENT OF FAITH
AND IN FACT THE STATEMENT OF FAITHS OF PROTESTANT CONGREGATIONS AND THE INDEPENDENTS ARE VERY CLOSE TO THE SAME EXCEPT LIKE MORMONS, JW'S ETC.
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize this number is basic fiction grossly miss represents the common ground they share.
This by no means represents that there 42000 divisions especially in light of the Fact Protestants from many backgrounds pray eat and worship together in many different interdenominational functions.
It represents differences and yes in some cases big ones but the vast majority are regional, ethnicity, and language reasons.
Mennonites and Lutherans share virtually 99% the same beliefs, but when Dutch immigrates to North America as did Germans do to language and cultural issues they formed their own sects.
We are all Christians.
So basically anyone use this number as some sort of ammunition to say see they can't agree is well being deceitful disingenuous or simply quoting a number with out any knowledge of how the number was arrived at.
But Hey is it not interesting that before the Reformation and one Protestant sect existed there were already about 1000 just within the so called Universal Church all calling themselves the one Catholic Church.
SO INSTEAD OF ORTHODOX AND RCC POINTING THE FINGERS WHY DON'T THEY SHOW US HOW TO DO UNITY. SO FAR NOT SO GOOD.
SHOW US HOW ROME IS MAKING PEACE WITH THE EASTERN ORTHODOX.
The RCC has had a 1000 years to do it and failed, so she is the last to start pointing fingers, talk about the pot call the porcelain black. If Rome can't end the Schism with her So called Apostle of Rome and so called 2000 years of holy tradition then she is found empty and full of it.
Yeesssh
FOR MORE GOTO
http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a106.htm
OH p.s.
In The CHURCH where I was,baptized ..at the time .

We rented the,CHURCH PRIPER TO A BRAZILIAN CONGREGATION
A BUILDING BEHIND THE CHURCH . Used by Haitian Chrisians,whom.we,helped support

We,..small congregation..met in the meeting hall.

On occasion we have live my joint services,

When the Brazilians,built their own Church

Our congregation merged with a,largeR...,HOME CHRCH .
in order to keep the building and fix it .

WE WERE ALL CHRISTIAN ...followed the teachings if Jesus. Despite language,differences .

“Greatest Love”

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2013

LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
God is God He can and will use whom He pleases.
Regardless of their station in life.
Peter was a fishermen, Paul was a Pharisee, and Luke was a doctor.
Mary Magdalin was a prostitute.
Yet all these people were chosen of God for a great purpose in life,{WHAT WAS THAT GREAT PURPOSE CLAY??) TO SPREAD THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST TO ALL MEN , FROM EVERY TRIBE TONGUE AND NATION.
If God can inspire men to write the Holy Scriptures , He surly can inspire them with Knowledge and a revelation of His Holy Word.
GOD TEACHES HIS PEOPLE CLAY IT IS THAT SIMPLE, WHEN MAN OPENS THEIR HEARTS AND SOULS TO GOD HIS HOLY SPIRIT ENGULFS THE VERY ESSENCE OF MAN. HE IS OUR LEADER OUR TEACHER WHO OPENS US TO ALL TRUTHS.
GOD GAVE SOLOMON THE DESIRE OF HIS HEART WHICH WAS WISDOM, WE ARE TO PRAY FOR WISDOM HANG IT AROUND OUR NECK LIKE A PRECIOUS STONE,
In the name of our Saviour JESUS Christ ..Amen

How is,y our other half doing??

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 1 hr Lorenzo 8,194
Filipino Catholics hails new saints 8 hr INC - Iglesia ni Coitus 31
Pope to visit Sri Lanka, Philippines in... 12 hr psycho 4
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... 17 hr ELIAS IBARRA 60
Greek Orthodox church in Gaza shelters Muslims ... Jul 26 Link Forrester 3
More Jul 24 True Christian witness 2
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Jul 24 ELIAS IBARRA 41
•••
•••