Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 658881 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

marge

Leesburg, GA

#479961 Oct 3, 2013
Question: "Is baptism necessary for salvation? What is baptismal regeneration?"

Answer: Baptismal regeneration is the belief that a person must be baptized in order to be saved. It is our contention that baptism is an important step of obedience for a Christian, but we adamantly reject baptism as being required for salvation. We strongly believe that each and every Christian should be water baptized by immersion. Baptism illustrates a believer’s identification with Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. Romans 6:3-4 declares,“Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.” The action of being immersed in the water illustrates dying and being buried with Christ. The action of coming out of the water pictures Christ’s resurrection.

Requiring anything in addition to faith in Jesus Christ for salvation is a works-based salvation. To add anything to the gospel is to say that Jesus' death on the cross was not sufficient to purchase our salvation. To say we must be baptized in order to be saved is to say we must add our own good works and obedience to Christ's death in order to make it sufficient for salvation. Jesus' death alone paid for our sins (Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:21). Jesus' payment for our sins is appropriated to our “account” by faith alone (John 3:16; Acts 16:31; Ephesians 2:8-9). Therefore, baptism is an important step of obedience after salvation but cannot be a requirement for salvation.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/baptism-salvation...
marge

Leesburg, GA

#479962 Oct 3, 2013
Baptismal regeneration is not a biblical concept. Baptism does not save from sin but from a bad conscience. In 1 Peter 3:21, Peter clearly taught that baptism was not a ceremonial act of physical purification, but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. Baptism is the symbol of what has already occurred in the heart and life of one who has trusted Christ as Savior (Romans 6:3-5; Galatians 3:27; Colossians 2:12). Baptism is an important step of obedience that every Christian should take. Baptism cannot be a requirement for salvation. To make it such is an attack on the sufficiency of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/baptism-salvation...
Human Being

Church Point, LA

#479963 Oct 3, 2013
marge wrote:
Question: "What does the Bible say about praying to / speaking to the dead?"
Answer: Praying to the dead is strictly forbidden in the Bible. Deuteronomy 18:11 tells us that anyone who “consults with the dead” is “detestable to the Lord.” The story of Saul consulting a medium to bring up the spirit of the dead Samuel resulted in his death “because he was unfaithful to the LORD; he did not keep the word of the LORD and even consulted a medium for guidance”(1 Samuel 28:1-25; 1 Chronicles 10:13-14). Clearly, God has declared that such things are not to be done.
Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/praying-to-the-de...
marge

Peace

The question is always raised then, why did Jesus talk to the dead, especially to Elijah and Moses on the Mount of Transfiguration?(Remember Jesus commanded Lazarus to be raised?)

If you make Jesus the exception to the rule, then there is no raising of the dead.

Generally what you and others have is a phobia, a good phobia against consulting with the dead in pursuit of selfish ends, which includes clairvoyance, tarot cards, casting runes, I Ching....
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#479964 Oct 3, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Open your cake hole yeah how horrible of me. Next time I'll just say open your mouth.
The facts are in front of you about what took place with Just Sayin and I. Your silence doesn't surprise me.
gif freaked out on Regina thinking she'd used the term. Maybe you should tell gif it was you? I'm sure he'd give you a wink and a pass since you aren't a Catholic.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#479965 Oct 3, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Chuck used the term referring to Regina.
Preston noticed that Just Sayin was making fun of me that same day.

Preston's post to me: lol, I just posted Rev 1:5 to the kook in TN, who mocked your speaking of the shedding of Blood.

**so Tony...was Regina comments to me wrong? She said Just Sayin was pointing out my hypocrisy.

Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#479966 Oct 3, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>lol. ignorance is one of your virtues, isn't it?
an embryo is not a fertilized egg(so don't go there if you don't understand simple Biological terms).
and ananias had to have said that on his own since I have showed you a million or more times that Jesus never said anything like that to him concerning paul. now you show me where jesus says to Ananias to baptize Paul. ACTS CHAPTER 9
And there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I am here, Lord.
11 And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight, and enquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus: for, behold, he prayeth,
12 And hath seen in a vision a man named Ananias coming in, and putting his hand on him, that he might receive his sight.
13 Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem:
14 And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name.
15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
16 For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.
you see, I am not like you and clay, first I am not stupid, second I don't lie and make up things that are not in the Bible for all to read.
"second I don't lie and make up things that are not in the Bible for all to read."

Did God place an embryo OR a fertilized egg in her womb? In either case, you insist that Mary's egg wan't used and God placed the already conceived Jesus in her so she could be used as an incubator and nothing more.

The bible says "you will conceive IN YOUR WOMB...", the bible says "why do you tarry, rise and be baptized and wash away your sins..."

You say "NO!!!, YOU CATHOLICS ARE LYING!!!!"

Keep strokin' preston....

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#479967 Oct 3, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Tony. Do you understand? I am not talking about the dead. I am talking about my coming an eyelash away from dying.Christ was there in my heart and there was peace. How can you miss that point to propagandize about something I wasn't even talking about. am not talking about Topix . I am talking about real life. Not little comments and arguments. Remember cause you will be there one day. If my testimony about Christ is less important than you making a point about praying to the dead which was not even talking about well well.
One time..I had been in the hospital for days hoping my condition would resolve (( obstruction))
I got critical ..had emergency surgery at night .

I had found my way just at year .

The anesthesiologist ..then the surgeon talked to me ..I'm quite sure I told them both God bless you ( was on pain shot )))

I was afraid ..But I remember clearly a verse I had heard fairly recently ..ABSENT FROM THE BODY ..PRESENT WITH LORD....I became very calm ...And peaceful ..

It's hard to explain ...I knew I'd be fine either way ..

Thank you Lord ..almost forgot that ..thanks Nick
Human Being

Church Point, LA

#479968 Oct 3, 2013
marge wrote:
Question: "What does the Bible say about praying for the dead?"
Answer: Praying for the dead is not a biblical concept. Our prayers have no bearing on someone once he or she has died. The reality is that, at the point of death, one’s eternal destiny is confirmed. Either he is saved through faith in Christ and is in heaven where he is experiencing rest and joy in God’s presence, or he is in torment in hell. The story of the rich man and Lazarus the beggar provides us with a vivid illustration of this truth. Jesus plainly used this story to teach that after death the unrighteous are eternally separated from God, that they remember their rejection of the gospel, that they are in torment, and that their condition cannot be remedied (Luke 16:19-31).
Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/praying-for-the-d...
marge

Peace

One of the "problems" about praying for the dead, is to know "when" is someone dead?

For the most part we consider it in physical terms. But if that were so, then Lazarus after 3 days being "dead" was not DEAD, but merely "sleeping".

I don't like the word "sleeping" but it is because we do not have a definition of dead/DEAD.

So it would not have been good for his sisters and friends to pray for Lazarus, and the many others raised from the dead?

Isn't it that we are imposing our own definitions on death, which actually diminish what it really is in our own minds?

To pray for the dead to God, may be just as effective as the dead "talking" to God for our welfare.... Why is it that we are to remember the dead?

Peace

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#479969 Oct 3, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Name calling seems to be the "only thing" you bible only "fundies"
rely upon when you are "backed up against the wall--with biblical and historical PROVEN, AUTHENTICATED, AND VERIFIABLE TRUTH!
After being raised for over 35 years as a bible only Protestant, I know this to be a FACT!!!
Please don't point any fingers unless your own house is cleaned!!!

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#479970 Oct 3, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Clay "
Well, as with any verse in the Bible, a sola scripturist can look and see whatever they desire.
The Holy Spirit guides the born agains to truth you say? lol. I don't think so. I read the nightly conversations amongst you all. You can't agree on half the theology, yet you masquerade as being in the same fold?
Onesiphorus is dead. Paul speaks of him as if he's giving his eulogy at his funeral. Past tense.
You have no business telling me any different. I read it and that's what I see.
fyi, it matters not if protestants oppose that verse. Obviously they need to. in fact, they need to oppose LOTS of verses, so they do. I also am aware that some Protestants agree with me that Paul prayed for a deceased man. Now what? Who's to decide?
--------
Paul neither prayed FOR OR TO the man. He laid down and embraced him as Elijah did the boy he raised from the dead. He declared...as Jesus did of Jairus' daughter...that,'his life is in him'.
Act 20:10 And Paul went down, and fell on him, and embracing him said, Trouble not yourselves; for his life is in him.
Act 20:11 When he therefore was come up again, and had broken bread, and eaten, and talked a long while, even till break of day, so he departed.
Act 20:12 And they brought the young man alive, and were not a little comforted.
KayMarie
Kay, we are talking about something different than what you are referring to. we are talking about onesiphorus in the book of Tim.the catholics believe that he was already dead when paul wrote to Tim. tho the Bible never states that as being factual
chuck

Dublin, OH

#479971 Oct 3, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
gif freaked out on Regina thinking she'd used the term. Maybe you should tell gif it was you? I'm sure he'd give you a wink and a pass since you aren't a Catholic.
You not answering my question about Regina makes me think you want it to go away?

Remember when you were stomping your feet like a 3 year old girl when I didn't rebuke OX for what he said about Mary?

You'd say something to another catholic if they were wrong, now wouldn't you Tony?

Location hidden

#479972 Oct 3, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
I am right...you have no testimony...
If you are not sincere in your heart, then why should nick share anything with you.
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#479973 Oct 3, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Preston noticed that Just Sayin was making fun of me that same day.
Preston's post to me: lol, I just posted Rev 1:5 to the kook in TN, who mocked your speaking of the shedding of Blood.
**so Tony...was Regina comments to me wrong? She said Just Sayin was pointing out my hypocrisy.
You have a selective memory, chuck. Why am I not surprised?

to which I responded:

*Nothing* to do with Rev 1:5 or the "shedding of blood" or anything else.*Everything* to do with your hypocrisy.

So chill out and stop trying to drag Anthony into yet another one of your messes.

Smile. Be happy, don't worry!

Location hidden

#479974 Oct 3, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You said our Church left the truth in 1054. I take that as a confession on your part, that the Orthodox faith is the truth??
I presume you think the Eucharist is truth? Well, you need a sacramental priesthood for that. Anyway, let me know when you'll be getting baptized into the truth of the Orthodox faith, which is allot better than where you're at now!
No he didn't say that...He posted what John from NJ posted.

Location hidden

#479975 Oct 3, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You said our Church left the truth in 1054. I take that as a confession on your part, that the Orthodox faith is the truth??
I presume you think the Eucharist is truth? Well, you need a sacramental priesthood for that. Anyway, let me know when you'll be getting baptized into the truth of the Orthodox faith, which is allot better than where you're at now!
just because john thought that the eating of bread and drinking some wine represented anything other than what Jesus said that it was, makes no difference to me, he wasn't always right on Biblical matters.

On May 28,1983. I was Baptized on a very wet and rainy day(Sunday) and God really Blessed. when I stepped out of my car, the storm quit and the sun came out and shined on that creek. after Cathie and I were baptized and I got back to my car. the clouds came back out and the rains came pouring down.

I wouldn't trade that Spiritual Experience for all of the fakery that your church presents to idiots like you.lol

God stopped the rain, put the sun to shining on our Baptism, until it was over. and then allowed the rain to commence.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#479976 Oct 3, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>preston, we like Golden Corral!..When do you wanna meet? Dinner's on us!...lol
I'd ask to join but I DON'T fly ..have some desert for me :)

Location hidden

#479977 Oct 3, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
marge
Peace
The question is always raised then, why did Jesus talk to the dead, especially to Elijah and Moses on the Mount of Transfiguration?(Remember Jesus commanded Lazarus to be raised?)
If you make Jesus the exception to the rule, then there is no raising of the dead.
Generally what you and others have is a phobia, a good phobia against consulting with the dead in pursuit of selfish ends, which includes clairvoyance, tarot cards, casting runes, I Ching....
one doofus talking to another doofus.

you gotta luv it.

Location hidden

#479978 Oct 3, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Coming from a guy who calls people an idiot...don't mean much Clay.
You should feel good about this. I call you a clown and not stupid.
She has cussed on this forum, I called her out on it and she knows it. Have you said something to her. It doesn't matter if you saw it, she did it. Will you say something to her?
Name calling and insulting people is a sign of weakness and desperation.It is done when someone feels the need to be superior over their victim.It is nasty and pointless and has no place in a Christians Life...Everyone does it to some extent but some a lot more than others.

Location hidden

#479979 Oct 3, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"second I don't lie and make up things that are not in the Bible for all to read."
of course you do, after all you are a catholic.

at no time have you ever proved that Ananias ever said to paul what you said that he said.

and you aint man enough to admit that you have been lying.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#479980 Oct 3, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Forgive me for being a bit confused Dan, but are you saying baptism remits sin and regenerates only if it's preceded by repentence and acceptance of Christ by a cognitive person? And is there something other than symbolism in the action of the water and the invocation of the Blessed Trinity?
You should be asking the Lord those questions,as it begins with Him and ends with Him. Nothing of the Lord is cheap or insignificant,we all know that,but His mercies and His blessings are New every morning according to Scripture.

When we repent of sin,we open the door for the Blood to be applied to us,that which Christ did on the Cross of Calvary. Does an infant understand this? No,but sinners do when they repent of their sins to the Holy One of Israel.God has no grandchildren,He has adopted sons and daughters grafted into the vine,men and women,boys and girls who make decisive decisions to turn from their sin,repent and turn toward the only one who can forgive,and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

If you want to baptize every child on the planet and claim he or she is a Catholic,by all means AnthonyMN,but that does not replace the Holy Word,"Repent and be Baptized for the remission of your sins",Oh I wonder who said that? For one P E T E R the Apostle did,to the Jews who were standing outside of the Upper Room.

I do not believe for one minute that our Lord instituted infant baptism.His call to have the little ones come to Him,already proves that they are protected by the Spirit. The Jews dedicated their children to God,it was to plan their godly future.Repentance and Baptism applies to sinners in need of a Savior,it is Gospel,and as simple as that.Why change it to a whole institution of infant initiation,when in fact the Bible or New Testament to be exact never supported such a practice?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 6 hr Married in 10,244
News Pope to visit Georgia, Azerbaijan 7 hr Stephany McDowell 1
News Parishioners attend a mass at Catedral de Nuest... 8 hr Proposer Words Po... 16
News The untold story of Queen Elizabeth I and Islam Sep 25 Full Muslim stupid 13
News Cardinal tipped to be the next Pope warns of an... Sep 20 Looking down our ... 25
News Catholic schools being closed at alarming rate (Apr '08) Sep 11 Jeremy 158
News The Latest: Walesa misses papal Mass, blames la... Sep 10 Ste 1
More from around the web