Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 603240 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

truth

Perth, Australia

#478873 Sep 28, 2013
every spirit is not holy
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#478874 Sep 28, 2013
Concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
You can post all the quotes you wish of early church fathers, but if you are fair and honest as the article I posted for you demonstrates when they use the word tradition, they mean the teachings from Scripture. In Context Traditions simply means teachings and all early Church fathers based their teachings on scripture as was their tradition.
If not all the early church fathers have contradicted themselves and should be ignored.
What you and Roman Catholics do is bring a 1000 year old definition of Tradition to their writings and never bother to try and understand what they meant when they used the word Tradition, remember the original word is not English. YOU need to actually read the book or at the very least the chapter you are cherry picking the sentence from if you wish to understand what the word meant to the author not what you mean by the word and then read your 2000 year old definition into the word and not use the 1st century meaning of the word. CONTEXT rules.
If we wish to be real as you write then if we are to say the Bible does not teach sola scriptoria and thus not believe it is doctrine then we must say the same for the Trinity, original sin, etc.
But just like you can state the Bible teaches the Trinity it teaches sola scriptoria.
Lets really be REAL bro the Apostles, my Lord Jesus never use anything but scripture to make an argument for doctrine and practice never once do the use what you call tradition.
Neither do the early church Fathers as I have demonstrated to you as you can't refute. You just say you can never putting up anything in context to prove your assertions.
now that really would be LOL and cute if your salvation and eternal destiny was not hung in the balance.
Scripture came from tradition. It couldn't have been the other way around because the first Book to be written in the NT didn't happen until 25 yrs after Jesus died.
A person can easily cherry pick whatever they want form the Bible and early Church fathers too. You demonstrate how it's possible to take a paragraph they wrote and imply whatever you wish. However, when you isolate a line they wrote, you do not see the big picture. Will they validate Holy Scriptures in their writings? Yes, they better if their Catholic. Scripture is essential to Catholicism, but so is the word of God given orally. First came the Church and sacred tradition and then came the Bible.

Seriously, the Bible is not one Book. Its a collection of Books. Since Christ never gave anyone a list of Books to put in there, it took an infallible outside authority to compile it.
truth

Perth, Australia

#478875 Sep 28, 2013
Real Creator not created anyone for suffering.
Real Creator is full of Mercy.
yeeeeeeeeee
where
on INRI

Arte you been there?
yep

i touch that Cross INRI..

now I am holy mental person as every good people are from evil corupt Law have evil certificat..

byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyy
serve tour evil
not me
by
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#478876 Sep 28, 2013
<quoted text>
You can post all the quotes you wish of early church fathers, but if you are fair and honest as the article I posted for you demonstrates when they use the word tradition, they mean the teachings from Scripture. In Context Traditions simply means teachings and all early Church fathers based their teachings on scripture as was their tradition.
If not all the early church fathers have contradicted themselves and should be ignored.
What you and Roman Catholics do is bring a 1000 year old definition of Tradition to their writings and never bother to try and understand what they meant when they used the word Tradition, remember the original word is not English. YOU need to actually read the book or at the very least the chapter you are cherry picking the sentence from if you wish to understand what the word meant to the author not what you mean by the word and then read your 2000 year old definition into the word and not use the 1st century meaning of the word. CONTEXT rules.
If we wish to be real as you write then if we are to say the Bible does not teach sola scriptoria and thus not believe it is doctrine then we must say the same for the Trinity, original sin, etc.
But just like you can state the Bible teaches the Trinity it teaches sola scriptoria.
Lets really be REAL bro the Apostles, my Lord Jesus never use anything but scripture to make an argument for doctrine and practice never once do the use what you call tradition.
Neither do the early church Fathers as I have demonstrated to you as you can't refute. You just say you can never putting up anything in context to prove your assertions.
now that really would be LOL and cute if your salvation and eternal destiny was not hung in the balance.
This is the Catholic Church in 155 AD:

www.youtube.com/watch...
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#478877 Sep 28, 2013
Study and get back to me I can give you online links to all the early church fathers books in the above post.
But the argument is sound you are wrong.
If you are interested in truth, i encourage you to watch or listen to this video by John Bergsma. He is a former Protestant pastor who was led into the Catholic Church by his extensive knowledge of sacred scripture - including the Dead Sea scrolls. The discovery of the scrolls further destroys sola scripture and protestantism. Study of the OT Books will lead you into Catholicism.

www.youtube.com/watch...
Normand Winnipeg

Winnipeg, Canada

#478878 Sep 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture came from tradition. It couldn't have been the other way around because the first Book to be written in the NT didn't happen until 25 yrs after Jesus died.
A person can easily cherry pick whatever they want form the Bible and early Church fathers too. You demonstrate how it's possible to take a paragraph they wrote and imply whatever you wish. However, when you isolate a line they wrote, you do not see the big picture. Will they validate Holy Scriptures in their writings? Yes, they better if their Catholic. Scripture is essential to Catholicism, but so is the word of God given orally. First came the Church and sacred tradition and then came the Bible.
Seriously, the Bible is not one Book. Its a collection of Books. Since Christ never gave anyone a list of Books to put in there, it took an infallible outside authority to compile it.
--- Clay, it took THE HOLY SPIRIT OF GOD AND THE SAINTS TO DO IT... Thankyou...
Human Being

Iota, LA

#478879 Sep 28, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
We will be judged by what we know ..
I really believe AGAIN....OVER AND OVER ..GOD USES WHO HE USES
so that MANY MORE WOULD HEAR THAT MESSAGE ..
Ten CATHOLUC Church spread the message ..do did others including Orthodox and early SCRIPTURE believers .
Your Church got caught up in Power ..in monarchies ..in trying to FORCE
it's message on others..Jesus never forced anyone to say tHey
Believed . FREE WILL. KICK THE DUST OFF ..not torture or allow their
CHOSEN MONARCHS TO USE FORCE ..instead of the word ...
So HE ALLOWED FOR others who would spread HIS WORD to more people ...through evangelizing and he BIBle..
All those souls who may NOT HAVE HEARD . certainly NOT READ ..while Rome dabbled in power and politics .
The Protest was allowed ..to spread the GOSPEL...And such """coincidental ???""""tim ing with bible printing ..Gee wonder if GOD KNEW .And before the NEW WORLD settlement ..by PEOPKE WANTING O WORSHIP ....not forced into CATHOLIC or Church of England ..mold .
DO YOU THINK THIS WAS COINCIDENCE...really ..?????
THIS WAS A SURPRISE ???
Jesus did not come to Create a,NEW TEMPLE of priests ..with power and ring kissing...And worst of all king making ..grabbing lands of so called heretics ...
So HE USED THE REFORMERS ..perfect ..no ..But He used them.
the same way JESUS CAME to a people who looked for MESSIAH ...BUT at a time when trading and roads of the ROMAN EMPIRE o spread the word more easily
Why not earlier ?????
GODS HAND IS in all of this!!!#!
SO AS MANY humble people as possible will HEAR ...as you asked .
Your comment assumes they won t ..without your Church
He uses HIS PEOPLE ...ALL OF US.
RoSesez

Peace

Your opening comment," We will be judged by what we know.", really shocked me!

And then you went on and on about the history of the RCC in a rather biased way.

First off, it is not what we know that gets us to heaven, it is Who we know, Jesus Christ.

And you can believe anything you want about the RCC, European History, Middle East, the relationship of the U.S., and the secular state of Israel today, and it is not going to matter in eternity. What it will do, is lead you down intellectual dead-ends, which divert one from keeping central the relationship of oneself to God, and having Jesus Christ our Savior as the model upon which live our lives.

I have been there, and done that....

The peace of Christ be with you always.
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#478880 Sep 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
So when Paul reasoned with the Bereans and they tested his words and searched the scriptures to see what he said was true what scriptures were they using? they did not have to wait 25 years Clay for scripture they already had it.

They used what we call today the OT as it was codified it was canonized the OT books they used before a Christian ever existed in Israel let alone in Rome That is a FACT.

Peter writes in his epistle that Paul's letters written before him were, are scripture while Paul and Peter were still alive before any council came together.

With the first 200 years of Early Church Fathers writings we can make 98% of what we call the NT today from there quotes from the Apostles NT writings that they used calling these quotes scripture.

If no Council had ever EVER been convened , no Cannon set, and we go back today to these early church fathers writings we can, we have made a NT with 98% of NT scriptures from them quoting them as such.

NO RCC needed PERIOD for us to determine the NT books this FACT has been ignored by Rome and its Parasitical Popes as to recognize this fact would mean they lose control and are not what they pretend to be.

That should not surprise a Christian that God Preserved his word through out the ages with out Man made institutions.

It is divine after all!!!!

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#478881 Sep 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~

You wrote

"Scripture came from tradition. "

Evidently as an infidel...

You believe

That God is nothing more than a tradition...

a figment of man's imagination ....

as is the rest of your Roman Catholic conjecture.

---

God never said that the word that came forth from His mouth was/is tradition..

He said

Isa_55:11 So shall my word be

that goeth forth out of my mouth:

it shall not return unto me void,

but it shall accomplish

that which I please, and

it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

The --> POWER,<-- behind GOD'S WORD IS

Act 1:8 But ye shall receive--> power,<-- after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

--> POWER,<-- DEFINED IN GREEK..

dunamis
doo'-nam-is
From G1410; force (literally or figuratively); specifically miraculous power (usually by implication a miracle itself):- ability, abundance, meaning, might (-ily,-y,-y deed),(worker of) miracle (-s), power, strength, violence, mighty (wonderful) work.

AND ...YOU CALL IT .... TRADITION!?
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#478882 Sep 28, 2013
<quoted text>
you could not be more wrong
The Apostolic Fathers and the Apologists held to sola Scriptura
The view promoted by the Council of Trent contradicted the belief and practice of the Early Church. The Early Church held to the principle of sola Scriptura. It believed that all doctrine must be proven from Scripture and if such proof could not be produced, the doctrine was to be rejected.
The Early Church Fathers (Ignatius, Polycarp, Clement, the Didache, and Barnabus) taught doctrine and defended Christianity against heresies. In doing this, their sole appeal for authority was Scripture. Their writings literally breathe with the spirit of the Old and New Testaments. In the writings of the apologists such as Justin martyr and Athenagoras the same thing is found. There is no appeal in any of these writings, to the authority of Tradition as a separate and independent body of revelation.
cont...
You don't get it. Even if those men went by sola scripture, it would STILL take an infallible authority to interpret it. The Bible does not interpret itself and you guys prove that the Holy Spirit does not lead you all to Biblical truth because you all do not come to the same understanding.

Ignatius of Antioch: "Do all things in harmony with God; with the Bishop presiding in place of God and the Presbyters in place of the council of the Apostles and with the Deacons who are most dear to me, entrusted with the business of Jesus Christ"

"wherever the Bishop appears, there let the people be, as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. It is not lawful to Baptize or give Communion without the consent of the Bishop. On the other hand, whatever has his approval will be pleasing to God, thus whatever is done will be safe and valid"

That's how Christ ensured that His teachings would remain safe and valid. He installed a Church that would never error when they teach on faith and morals.
You wanna bring up past sins of this Church? Go ahead. Start with one of their Apostles betraying Jesus. Then their first Pope denying the Lord and the rest of them scattering away when the Lord needed them the most at Calvary. The fact that this Church could survive 2,000 yrs headed by sinful men is miracle in itself and further proof of the protection Jesus promised (the gates of Hell shall never prevail against it)

Napoleon was preparing to conquer Rome and sent a messenger to tell the Pope he could topple the Catholic Church in one year. A cardinal sent back a message, "we Priests have been trying to topple this Church for 1800 yrs, what makes you think you can do it in one?"
Of course, he was not talking about a deliberate attempt by the Priests to topple the Church, but rather, the sinful weight of her members should have brought it down yrs ago. Even through the worst periods, truth was not altered as Jesus sees it through til He returns.
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#478883 Sep 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are interested in truth, i encourage you to watch or listen to this video by John Bergsma. He is a former Protestant pastor who was led into the Catholic Church by his extensive knowledge of sacred scripture - including the Dead Sea scrolls. The discovery of the scrolls further destroys sola scripture and protestantism. Study of the OT Books will lead you into Catholicism.
www.youtube.com/watch...
The Dead sea scrolls do not mitigate one bit against my beliefs or yours.

I know of J Bergsma he is easily refuted and has been.

Can you produce one post with some substance that affirms your assertions???

YOU are beating around the bush with vigor and if you don't stop soon I don't think the bush will recover from the beating you are giving it. LOL
truth

Perth, Australia

#478884 Sep 28, 2013
Why you think that Isaiah is God?

I been before I don't discover myself.
Did Isaiah wrote that?

Why your Abraham then need blessing from whom?
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#478885 Sep 28, 2013
concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
So when Paul reasoned with the Bereans and they tested his words and searched the scriptures to see what he said was true what scriptures were they using? they did not have to wait 25 years Clay for scripture they already had it.
They used what we call today the OT as it was codified it was canonized the OT books they used before a Christian ever existed in Israel let alone in Rome That is a FACT.
Peter writes in his epistle that Paul's letters written before him were, are scripture while Paul and Peter were still alive before any council came together.
With the first 200 years of Early Church Fathers writings we can make 98% of what we call the NT today from there quotes from the Apostles NT writings that they used calling these quotes scripture.
If no Council had ever EVER been convened , no Cannon set, and we go back today to these early church fathers writings we can, we have made a NT with 98% of NT scriptures from them quoting them as such.
NO RCC needed PERIOD for us to determine the NT books this FACT has been ignored by Rome and its Parasitical Popes as to recognize this fact would mean they lose control and are not what they pretend to be.
That should not surprise a Christian that God Preserved his word through out the ages with out Man made institutions.
It is divine after all!!!!
You are missing my point. Scripture is without a doubt important to Christianity, but its not the only thing. It can't be because it still relies on people to interpret it. Therefore, something outside of scripture needs to be infallible.
Also, in a strictly logical sense, if Jesus Christ was real and His message was essential for the salvation of mankind, why would he leave this world with only the writings of some of His followers, as well as a canon of OT Books that some Jewish sects considered scripture? There are so many problems with that. Everything from the illiterate rate to a lack of a printing press would stall His message for 1500 yrs..

Clearly, the only way for Jesus to convey the Gospel to the world was to establish a teaching magisterium that would be protected from error. Historic fact reveals that the Apostles did just that. They set up a Sacramental Priesthood. One faith, one fold and one Church. It couldn't be any other way.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#478886 Sep 28, 2013
<quoted text>
YOU are beating around the bush with vigor and if you don't stop soon I don't think the bush will recover from the beating you are giving it. LOL
Im sure out of a thousand Bible scholars, you can find one that who will refute Mr. Bergsma. That's the fundie strategy; scour the internet and find something ANYTHING to back up your pre-determined belief. That one person; that one line of the Bible. Anything!!

John 6:63 "the spirit gives life, the flesh profits nothing"

There it is, we found the verse we needed. Now we can cancel out all the other verses where Christ speaks of eating His flesh!
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#478887 Sep 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't get it. Even if those men went by sola scripture, it would STILL take an infallible authority to interpret it. The Bible does not interpret itself and you guys prove that the Holy Spirit does not lead you all to Biblical truth because you all do not come to the same understanding.
Ignatius of Antioch: "Do all things in harmony with God; with the Bishop presiding in place of God and the Presbyters in place of the council of the Apostles and with the Deacons who are most dear to me, entrusted with the business of Jesus Christ"
"wherever the Bishop appears, there let the people be, as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. It is not lawful to Baptize or give Communion without the consent of the Bishop. On the other hand, whatever has his approval will be pleasing to God, thus whatever is done will be safe and valid"
That's how Christ ensured that His teachings would remain safe and valid. He installed a Church that would never error when they teach on faith and morals.
You wanna bring up past sins of this Church? Go ahead. Start with one of their Apostles betraying Jesus. Then their first Pope denying the Lord and the rest of them scattering away when the Lord needed them the most at Calvary. The fact that this Church could survive 2,000 yrs headed by sinful men is miracle in itself and further proof of the protection Jesus promised (the gates of Hell shall never prevail against it)
Napoleon was preparing to conquer Rome and sent a messenger to tell the Pope he could topple the Catholic Church in one year. A cardinal sent back a message, "we Priests have been trying to topple this Church for 1800 yrs, what makes you think you can do it in one?"
Of course, he was not talking about a deliberate attempt by the Priests to topple the Church, but rather, the sinful weight of her members should have brought it down yrs ago. Even through the worst periods, truth was not altered as Jesus sees it through til He returns.
You write You don't get it. Even if those men went by sola scripture, it would STILL take an infallible authority to interpret it.

Why would it still take an infallible authority??

who says it would, who says someone is an infallible how do we know they are an infallible authority?

How do I know that the person who says he is infallible is not lying.
If I can know who is infallible then I must be too if one is logical.

YOUR assumption is circular reasoning.

Who interprets the interpreter of the interpreter of the infallible interpreter.

I have the Holy Spirit I can discern Greek and Hebrew.
I can understand Latin I speak two Latin base languages French and Portuguese. I speak English

I have post secondary degrees and education I have lived in 15 countries worked in 20 or so traveled to some 45.

I have read and studied the origins of Christianity all my life.

Why like the Bereans in the NT that Paul instructed can I not search the scriptures on my own like they did and test teachings of an Apostle Bishop Elder like they did?

Paul stated they were of more Noble blood and character than the Thessalonians for doing so.

YOUR argument makes absolutely no sense you are a puppet pass the KoolAid Jim Jones is in town.
socci

Lake Zurich, IL

#478888 Sep 28, 2013
Clay wrote:

From the apostles.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#478889 Sep 28, 2013
<quoted text>
The Essenes had Tobit and Sirach in their collection, what do you mean it doesn't mitigate against your belief? Protestants argue that there was an established Jewish canon of scripture around the time of Jesus, but there wasn't. It didn't happen in Judaism until 90 AD. The men who tried and executed the Lord, established the Protestant canon of scripture. This doesn't pose a problem for you?
truth

Perth, Australia

#478890 Sep 28, 2013
i touch that cross INRI

i am still alive
you make me sick with your explanation

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#478891 Sep 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You are missing my point. Scripture is without a doubt important to Christianity, but its not the only thing. It can't be because it still relies on people to interpret it. Therefore, something outside of scripture needs to be infallible.
Also, in a strictly logical sense, if Jesus Christ was real and His message was essential for the salvation of mankind, why would he leave this world with only the writings of some of His followers, as well as a canon of OT Books that some Jewish sects considered scripture? There are so many problems with that. Everything from the illiterate rate to a lack of a printing press would stall His message for 1500 yrs..
Clearly, the only way for Jesus to convey the Gospel to the world was to establish a teaching magisterium that would be protected from error. Historic fact reveals that the Apostles did just that. They set up a Sacramental Priesthood. One faith, one fold and one Church. It couldn't be any other way.
~~~

It couldn't be any other way.

ISN'T IT A SHAME THAT YOU WEREN'T THERE TO TELL GOD HOW TO CREATE THE UNIVERSE.

TO TELL HIM WHAT HE COULD DO OR WHAT HE COULD NOT...

I CAN'T IMAGINE WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE IF YOU WERE...HIS INSTRUCTOR

ONE DAY YOU WILL ABRUPTLY LEARN ...

THAT IT IS EITHER GOD'S WAY...OR ELSE ETERNAL SEPARATION FROM HIM..

YOUR CHOICE

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#478892 Sep 28, 2013
marge wrote:
Hey Rose, instead of praying about lets just do it and have a real church right here! Everyone can take there turn preachin about JESUS and His full authority and power to Save one completely and forever. May God Bless you my dear sister:)
You mean a,whole day without mentioning anyone's Church ..an idea,

THE CHURCH IS HE BODY OF BELIEVERS,.( But still going to offer a prayer tonite). Not as,Ox says,for,appearance ..if one person agrees ..I'd be glad ..WE,ALL NEED HELP WITH SOMETHING .

I guess,I hope that if we can pray ON THE NAME OF THE SAVIOUR WE ALL CAN AGREE DIED FOR US ..we might see we have a common heart under the,rhetoric ...

Just JESUS,Our Lord And,Saviour ..

I can't cut and paste scripture phrases,..just links ..however if we look at John

The,FATHER gave authority to he Son

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

He gave HIS ONLY Son .
That those who BELIEVE might have ETERNAL LIFE

ONE must be BORN again
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

These,are true words that can be looked up on this,site in ANY TRANSLATION ...

we believe in THE SAME WORD

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 4 min Mr_SKY 84,400
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 2 hr ThineWillBeDone 9,676
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory Aug 27 Chimney1 420
News Ahead of pope's visit to US, some friction over... Aug 26 Belle Sexton 3
News Ahead of pope's visit to US, some friction over... Aug 25 Abrahamanic Relig... 1
News Pope Benedict is living out old age calmly (Aug '08) Aug 24 The Oracle 73
News LGBT equality groups getting shut out of Pope F... Aug 23 Fundiementally ill 8
More from around the web