Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 693558 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Pad

Rockford, IL

#478340 Sep 25, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>THANKU PAD!!!! I would send you a bagel basket if I could!!!!!!Now that explains EVERYTHING THANKU THANKU THANKU
Your welcome!I love bagels by the way,as a matter of fact I like them better than most breads.Although a good homemade loaf of bread is unbeatable.We do not want to get into too much on what is the best thing to put on bagels and homemade bread,it is too much for me to bear.

My grandmother whom I grew up with most of my life was Slovak,and she baked gorgeous black breads,pumpernikle and high topped white breads.(RYE I must also include).So I know all about perogies,Ham and Cabbage,Dince de Vani Meso,Keilbasa with potatoes,cabbage,carrots,beets ,all accompanied with homemade breads.

We lived near a Jewish bakery,they were from Germany,the cakes,pies and struedels(my grandmother made also)turnovers,pies were phenominal.The bagels were smaller than what we see in the Mid-west,very round shiny,when toasted fabulous.Cheese cakes forget it,the Cheesecake factory now popular in Chicago are similar.What can I say! I hope you guys don't go and overdose on that stuff now.Let's invite Dust Storm as well,he is probably a great guy,a little bit on the radical Catholic side,but knows how to have a good time as well.I am not fat by the way,surprising that I came from such a fun eating family!

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#478341 Sep 25, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Good advice, Hojo! I know their game as well, but you have first hand knowledge of it. Not to worry, I won't fall for that old trick of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". Unfortunately, some here have, in their desperate need to be fawned over and approved of. As long as someone pets them and makes a fuss over them, strokes their egos, that's all that counts, and I do mean "all"! No discernment whatsoever, anyone can say anything, lie through their teeth, it doesn't matter, as long as they make nice to them, they're heartfelt and oh, so sincere. But we know who's behind that deception, don't we? It's pretty obvious, as are they.
You take care, also, Hojo! Keep the faith, my friend!
talking about yourself I see again don't you have any non catholic friends you play with
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#478342 Sep 25, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Read a little further. he Orthodox position is if you are Orthodox and LEAVE the Orthodox Church you risk your salvation. If you are going to teach the forum Orthodoxy at least teach them correctly. Of course you may have to put the work in.
I suggest you read a little further....bright eyes.(You must really be frustrated, lol). Orthodox teaching is that there is no known salvation outside the Orthodox Church.

"If God wishes to grant salvation to some who are Christians in the best way they know, but without ever knowing the Orthodox Church—that is up to Him, not us. But when He does this, IT IS OUTSIDE THE NORMAL WAY that He established for salvation—which is in the Church, as a part of the Body of Christ."

(Note the quotation marks; I'm not the one saying this, the Church you claim to belong to is. Also note that I'm saying this is Orthodox teaching, not necessarily what you personally believe, which is in opposition to Orthodox teaching. Oh, and do try to rein in your temper.)
Pad

Rockford, IL

#478343 Sep 25, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
Sorry, Dan, meant to say he was NOT Eastern Catholic.
No your right he never claimed that,because he was not under the Pope.He did say that his church's title had Catholic in it.And JohnNJ made it a point many times to declare his own catholicism,or being a Catholic even though he was not Eastern or Roman Catholic.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#478344 Sep 25, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
He was an Orthodox thru and thru. The fact that he appeared "Catholic" was due to the fact that Orthodox is very similar to Catholicism. He didn't bother with piddly differences or magnifying them to appear catastrophic.
"He was an Orthodox thru and thru. The fact that he appeared "Catholic" was due to the fact that Orthodox is very similar to Catholicism"

That's why we have not connected since 1054. LOLOL We are just a hair away from one another.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#478345 Sep 25, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true Clay, that quote from Sirach is nothing like what Jesus said, but Jesus did say 'it is written' and Paul said Timothy studied Scripture and that the Jews already gave us the oracles of God, so yes they did have a collective canon.
Clay, I could give you dozens of NT quotes that refer to the Scripture we already had, here is just one;

John 5:39
"You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me!
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#478346 Sep 25, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>..he was orthodox catholic...period...your lies stop here now
..No Orthodox would allow themselves to be buried in a catholic cemetery unless he was orthodox catholic.....
He wasn't buried in a Catholic cemetery. What makes you think he was? I happen to know where he was buried. So does Anthony. You don't even know what his name was.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#478347 Sep 25, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
Pope Francis today;
"Everyone should ask themselves today: Do I encourage unity in the family, in the parish, in the community, or am I a gossiper, a gossiper, a source of division of unease? Are you not aware of the evil they do to the Church , parishes , communities gossiping! They wound. Rumors hurt. A Christian, should bite his or her tongue before gossiping! Yes or no ? Bite his tongue ! That will do us good , because your tongue swells and can not speak or gossip. Do I have the humility to mend fences with patience, sacrifice , wounds to communion ? " .
But "unfortunately , we see that in the course of history , even now, we do not always live this unity. Sometimes misunderstandings arise, conflicts, tensions , divisions, that wound , and then the Church does not have the face that we would like , does not show charity, what God wants. We are the ones who sow divisions! And if we look at the divisions that still exist among Christians, Catholics, Orthodox , Protestants ... we feel the strain of making this unity fully visible . God gives us unity , but we often find it hard to live it. We must seek, build, educate the community , to overcome misunderstandings and divisions , beginning with the family, from ecclesial realities, ecumenical dialogue as well. Our world needs unity . It is a time when we all need unity , we need reconciliation , communion and the Church is the House of communion. "
As St. Paul says to the Ephesians, " humility , gentleness , patience , love to preserve the unity ! Eh, these , these are the paths, the real roads of the Church , eh? Let's hear it one more time : humility - against vanity, against pride - humility , gentleness , patience , love to preserve unity . And Paul continued : one body , that of Christ we receive in the Eucharist , one Spirit , the Holy Spirit which animates and continually recreates the Church, one hope , eternal life, one faith , one baptism , one God and Father of all . It is a great wealth of what unites us ! Eh , its real wealth : what unites us , not what divides us. That is the wealth of the Church. "
And "who is the engine of this unity of the Church ? The Holy Spirit, which we all have received in Baptism and also in the Sacrament of Confirmation. The Holy Spirit . Our unity is not primarily the result of our consent or democracy within the Church or of our effort to get along, but it is from Him that we have unity in diversity , because the Holy Spirit is harmony, always harmony in the Church : it is a harmonious unity in such diversity of cultures, languages &#8203;&#8203;and thought. And ' the Holy Spirit is the engine. For this reason it is important to pray, which is the soul of our commitment as men and women of communion and unity. Pray to the Holy Spirit, that he may come and build unity in the Church . "
We can all agree that to be nosy,or busy boddies and so on is wrong,and that as a whole all christians should avoid those things.The Unity in the Church is Christ,not what we do or practice.Christ is the only Person who brings about a unity of mind,soul and spirit,

The semantics of what we all believe,and the practices,or traditions easily can beset us,but the Person of Christ in the Power of the Holy Spirit is our Unity!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#478348 Sep 25, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, it wasn't "my enemy" when I was consoling and comforting your wife and offering prayers for you both after you were flighted to Pittsburgh. Speaking of truth 'hermie', where are the phone records? Waiting for your insulting reply....but no truth....as usual....lol.....
Stick a fork in it, you're done.
Have fun trashing Catholics and the one, true Church, you two...
What a deception. You talked to my wife when I was flighted because you two were exchanging calls anyway at the time. And most of the time you really didnt have time to hear about my condition because you would switch the coonversation on your own self focused problems when she had a dying husband on her hands.
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#478349 Sep 25, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>No your right he never claimed that,because he was not under the Pope.He did say that his church's title had Catholic in it.And JohnNJ made it a point many times to declare his own catholicism,or being a Catholic even though he was not Eastern or Roman Catholic.
Oh, Dan, he most certainly never claimed any such thing! He was so proud of being Orthodox, he would never claim to be Catholic.

Orthodox Catholic is the proper name of the Eastern Orthodox Churches. About that he was right. But the rest, no, absolutely not. You're mistaken and sera jumped right on it gobbling up the error, as usual. Now she's calling us liars because of it. This is not good, Dan. Please don't speculate. These people are not rational and are out for blood.

On a different note, how are you feeling these days?

Location hidden

#478350 Sep 25, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, it wasn't "my enemy" when I was consoling and comforting your wife and offering prayers for you both after you were flighted to Pittsburgh. Speaking of truth 'hermie', where are the phone records? Waiting for your insulting reply....but no truth....as usual....lol.....
Stick a fork in it, you're done.
Have fun trashing Catholics and the one, true Church, you two...
you claimed to have the phone records also remember and I asked you to post them!...we talked on the phone up until nick was life flighted...that was it...never heard from you again even after your storm...u never called to ask me about nick NOTHING...THATS WHAT A FRIEND YOU REALLY WERE...NOTHING 3 WEEKS AND AFTER MONTHS WENT BY...GO PLAY THE HOLIER THAN THO TO SOMEONE ELSE THAT DOESNT KNOW YOU...better yet get a check up cuz your not all there.....

Location hidden

#478351 Sep 25, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
He wasn't buried in a Catholic cemetery. What makes you think he was? I happen to know where he was buried. So does Anthony. You don't even know what his name was.
BECAUSE YOU TOLD US ON THIS forum when he dies and I read his obiturary
.and comments from poster here questioned you about this.
Clay

United States

#478352 Sep 25, 2013
<quoted text>We had coffee with our Bishop at our table last year. He was a nice man with a great sense of humor. Very humble. Had a Doctorate in Philosophy. Had a great dialogue. Maybe you can share your dialogue with the last Orthodox Bishop you had coffee with at your table.
Orthodoxy shouldn't be that confusing. You make it difficult to understand. Earlier you mentioned Confession. Really? Do you not confess your sins to a Priest or WITH a Priest? I mean, come on.
Yesterday you mentioned the Eucharist belief is different too...

Location hidden

#478353 Sep 25, 2013
<quoted text>What a deception. You talked to my wife when I was flighted because you two were exchanging calls anyway at the time. And most of the time you really didnt have time to hear about my condition because you would switch the coonversation on your own self focused problems when she had a dying husband on her hands.
we were friends for many months before this happened and shared it others sorrows..then BAM the knife slits my throat....

Location hidden

#478354 Sep 25, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
wrong bubbaloo......you posted his name.....

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#478355 Sep 25, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>LOL...you must be right then...
No dear. The "Church of Christ" was the very first "organized" church, and it was in Jerusalem. I am not positive about the date, but it was about 47 A.D. Don't let anyone fool you.
Cathaholics don't like that simple fact. "Paul" even made reference to it. I believe if you really look deep enough, you will find "Greek" reference to it that would be "contemporary". Perhaps Hermie is already aware of what I am saying and attest to the truth of it. I don't know that he knows, and do not wish to put words in his mouth...that would be unfair of me, but I do know what I have learned from a college of scholars, and that is accepted fact.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#478356 Sep 25, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Lovely, so Christ-like. Such a good, little protestant preacher...LOL!
I KNOW for a fact that after I came onto this board all the Catholics came to John's defense. You have a faulty memory there, presto. Must be your age kicking in. I miss John very much. We had some long and excellent conversations. He was a good man and highly intelligent. He knew the faith inside and out and was a good, practicing Orthodox Christian his whole life. Anthony also loved and respected him. Methinks you're a wee bit jealous!
Have a nice day there, presto!
sorry, but my memory is very good, thank you.

the dispute was over mary hammnond and her words to John, and ONLY I HAD HIS BACK.

DONT MAKE ME GO BACK AND FIND IT BECAUSE IT IS ON HERE. LOL

Location hidden

#478357 Sep 25, 2013
sorry...I was corrected by nick.....someone else posted an obit. and you claimed it wasn't him...I stand corrected

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#478358 Sep 25, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
...lol oh and no orthodox on this forum braggs about being the true church.......
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm
Think upon it all day if you need to. They haven't.

Arrogance is the RCC's "true church".

If and when they realize this, I doubt that they would even apologize for it.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#478359 Sep 25, 2013
5:39-44 The Jews considered that eternal life was revealed to them in their Scriptures, and that they had it, because they had the word of God in their hands. Jesus urged them to search those Scriptures with more diligence and attention. Ye do search the Scriptures, and ye do well to do so. They did indeed search the Scriptures, but it was with a view to their own glory. It is possible for men to be very studious in the letter of the Scriptures, yet to be strangers to its power. Or, Search the Scriptures, and so it was spoken to them in the nature of an appeal. Ye profess to receive and believe the Scripture, let that be the judge. It is spoken to us as advising or commanding all Christians to search the Scriptures. Not only read them, and hear them, but search them; which denotes diligence in examining and studying them. MH

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 2 hr Paloma 10,710
News Faith Matters: Top local faith stories for 2017 Sun question 2
News Love in the air: Pope marries couple on papal p... Jan 19 Pardon Pard 1
News For New Year, pope urges help for refugees, res... Jan 1 South Knox Hombre 1
News Topless protester tries to grab baby Jesus figu... Dec 28 Donald J Trump 2
News Pope urges compassion from politicians who fan ... Dec '17 Truth Be Told 9
News Pope Francis is greeted by young children in tr... Nov '17 TRUE CATHOLIC her... 1
More from around the web