Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 703708 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#478281 Sep 25, 2013
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew it!!!
NASL was wrong.
Try again.

Men deciding upon what theology to believe proves my point.

Hojo and you will have to do better than this.

One way, would be to post where "God" specifically states which texts are "of His inspiration" and which are not.

You can do this, right?

How 'bout just pointing me to the correct place to find out where "God" chose the canon in "His book"? You do have something from "God", right?
Or are you going on that silly pretense that "God" limited "His inspiration" only to a select few. If you do, Anthony will object, so make sure you don't include texts by men, okay?

Really Star?

Go back to bible study - but this time learn the historical facts surrounding the Bible, before you start posting untrue accounts like hojo.
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#478282 Sep 25, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why I didn't say 'Catholic'. I was more or less highlighting the 'Church' definition as understood by the Orthodox as well as Catholics (and the first 1600 yrs of Christianity in general.)
Apostolic succession.
You're right, she stated the Protestant definition of a Church.
Oh, I know....I was agreeing with you.

Albuquerque, NM

#478284 Sep 25, 2013
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
We only defend and correct false statement.
Odd....that is why I am here too, correcting multiple false statements made by the RCC.

Hmmm.....

I wonder why the HS is guiding me to do this?

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#478285 Sep 25, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I highly doubt you'll find an Orthodox Bishop who'll agree with your statement that 'Church' meant the Christian faith. They would surely agree that Jesus started a Church like we understand it- albeit without the supremacy of the Bishop of Rome..
wrong..I repeat what Our priest teaches us.....

Albuquerque, NM

#478286 Sep 25, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree.
Thansk BT.

Not that your support will change perceptions, it is what it is and I thank you for reading my posts.

Cheers!

Albuquerque, NM

#478287 Sep 25, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me where I used a lying tongue (pro 6:17). Show me where I used 'wicked imaginations' in my post (pro 6:18). Where did I give false witness and 'speaketh lies'?(pro 6:19)
Don't manipulate sacred scripture for your own agenda. I merely pointed out the hypocrisy of you two. If I stated a lie, present it and I'll apologize.
"I believe in Jesus."

'Nough said.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#478288 Sep 25, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
I awakened at 3AM today and immediately knew that I owed you an apology.
I used the word "whopper"..which can be defined as a "gross untruth"....or "something exceptionally big or remarkable."
My use of the word was meant to say that the typo was "exceptional and remarkable"....but it could also be read to mean that the info given was a "gross untruth".
Ah apologize...
Nawwww No apology needed. Post on my friend

Location hidden

#478289 Sep 25, 2013
LTM wrote:
My husband is going into hospital today, please keep him in your prayers.
I am not sure what is going to happn yet, I am praying they take out the prostate gland so he will have no more trouble.
God mat have other plans so I am putting it all in his hands, My husband has suffered terrible pain with this, so much he was going into shock.
Thank you all God Bless.
I pray for him every day. Take care of yourself

Albuquerque, NM

#478290 Sep 25, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Clay while the hypocrisy is very apparent to the Catholics here, its of no use. I would have no problem with Herme and Sere if they didnt at every turn attack Catholics and the church and then the blatant lie of not giving personal insults or that its just about getting them to fight. If its not important then they should not have anything to say to Catholics, because despite the massive attempt to deny anything Catholic within them the fact is the Orthodx and Catholic Churches have more in common than any other.
I would be careful though about the in betweens. For example the Orthodox on purgatory. The church really doesnt teach anything on purgatory other than its a process or a place that involves some discomfort and that nothing unclean shall enter into heaven. Semantics can get heavy in this area.
The real presense while some Orthodox do accept transubstantiation others do not. In the end though it is the true body, blood soul and divinity of Christ. Catholics are accused of trying to define this, but in the end we accept it as a mystery in faith what Christ said. If we are mocked for it then so be it. I still dont think people were dying because they were having a cracker snack and that is very disrpectful. Most Orthdodox I know believe Christ is present. While they do not do Adoration most Orthodox I encounter will bow out of respect. For Christ is present and just as they would not disrespect a King. The King of Kings is present.
Arguing about whether it is leavened our unleavened it is kind of sad how both sides acted on that. Cultural differences in styles of worship are less important than the actual belief.
The ever virginity of Mary is a shared belief. It may not be for these two but yes it is true the All Pangia (sinless) Mary was sinless. Fr. John Myendort (Orthodox scholar) Who nevertheless some Orthdox call a heretic has said that if not for the difference in the concept of Original sin the Orthodox would likely have wholly accepted the Immaculate conception. However there are Orthdox who do subscribe to it. Ultimately though what was being contested is the sinlessness of Mary and the proclamation that Catholics have to believe Mary did not need a saviour. This of course is an empty argument and lacks the knowledge of what the church teaches on that and why. Her sinlessness was never the question. When it happened was. However ever virgin was proclaimed dogma when the churches were one. Yet some Orthodox today have chosen to deny this, cancelling out validity of councils. There are cafeteria Catholics as well. Saying Im Catholic and adhering to the faith on your own terms are different.
Surely Christ knew that there would be disagreements. The Apostles had one on circumcision. Its clear that Paul had a dispute with his traveling companion. The extent of which is unclear. There are disciplines, doctrines, theological discussions and dogmas as you know, but Protestants often dont understand the difference nor do they wish to.
Like hojo, repeating your beliefs will not make them true, but will only to you, after many times repeating it. It seems to be working well.

Move past the word sand understand their meanings.

Location hidden

#478291 Sep 25, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Hogwash!! You saw the title of this forum "Roman Catholic church only true church" and decided to come here (just like every other non-catholic) to "insight an argument", to condemn and attack our Catholic Faith, the Catholic Church and the TRUTH of 2000 years of TRUE CHURCH HISTORY regarding Jesus Christ One TRUE Universal Catholic Church, just like every other bible only Protestant..... Like I told you before---if you truly believe that your Orthodox faith is the truth, then "go live it" and quit trying to create an "argument, dissension, and disagreement. The same with every bible only Protestant--"go live your faith" if you really believe it, and quit attacking Our Catholic Faith and the Catholic Church.---The fact is Seraphima!! YOU non-catholics came looking for us and for a "fight"--The fact is that there is (not one) Catholic on this forum (Anthony, Clay, Regina, Star C, Duststorm or myself that would "seek out" a non catholic forum and go looking for an "argument, a debate or a fight" with a non-catholic!
We wouldn't waste our time, because (we as Catholics believe) that we have the FULLNESS of the TRUTH and the FULLNESS of the FAITH already and have had it for over 2000 years. We don't need to "prove anything"!!! It has be debated and discussed for centuries! You (in your own frustration, anger and beligerence, call it pride and arrogance!..... I/we as Catholics call it conviction, insight, perseverence and TRUTH of doctrine, the bible and Church History. Again--if you claim to possess the truth (as you believe it) then go "live your faith" and leave us Catholics alone to "live ours" and peace and respect will "prevail"!!!
if you wouldn't waste you time then why are you wasting it here...LOL.....hogwash back at you,,,you love the thrill of the fight which makes you the True Christian you claim to be....You are here just for that...

Albuquerque, NM

#478292 Sep 25, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>The pope is picked by Christ, who is God, remember Peter?. Young men are called and picked by Christ, who is God to become priests. Women who become nuns are picked to be brides of Christ, who is God. Christ started the Catholic Church.
Then why was Pope Francis picked by Cardinals?

Location hidden

#478293 Sep 25, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
At that time, all Christians were in the Church. It wasn't called Catholic yet, but acquired the name a few decades later. There were some dissenters who began teaching error and heresy. They called themselves Christians, but were not in the Church. Christ founded a Church, not Christianity. What she's promoting is protestantism, which is of course an error and many orthodox Christians consider it to be heresy.
Her comment had nothing to do with the Gnostics or the "heretics". If they were Gnostics and called themselves Christians they were not Christians. Also Miss Orthodox Educator there were many who were Christians who were not exactly on the same page until Nicea etc. Do you, in all your Orthodoxy not know early Church history???Read you will be surprised how many were Christians but not on the same page.Also you have no idea what Ignatius meant by Catholic (the wholeness of the faith according to the Orthodox)

Location hidden

#478294 Sep 25, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why I didn't say 'Catholic'. I was more or less highlighting the 'Church' definition as understood by the Orthodox as well as Catholics (and the first 1600 yrs of Christianity in general.)
Apostolic succession.
You're right, she stated the Protestant definition of a Church.
clueless...lol you think you know but you know nothing

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#478295 Sep 25, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus did extend more than His best wishes for our needs..
IT IS WRITTEN OF HIM IN
Heb_4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
FOR ISAIAH THE MESSIANIC PROPHET WROTE ( 700 YEARS BEFORE IT TOOK PLACE)
Isa 53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
Isa 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and
the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
THE ABOVE SHOULD BE THE CONFIDENT EXPECTATIONS OF ALL THAT BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST...
FOR IT IS THE PURPOSE FOR WHICH
HE WAS BORN ON EARTH
LIVED AND REVEALED THE HEAVENLY FATHER
SUFFER UNDER PONTUS PILATE ..
WAS BEATEN WITH AN UNKNOWN NUMBER OF STRIPES..
CARRIED HIS CROSS TO GOLGOTHA
WAS NAILED TO THE CROSS..
BLED AND DIED.
WAS PLACED IN A BORROWED TOMB
ROSE AGAIN
SEEN UPON THE EARTH 40 DAYS
ASCENDED TO THE HEAVENLY FATHER
IS (CURRENTLY)THERE AT THE FATHERS RIGHT HAND MAKING INTERCESSION FOR US.
THE ABOVE IS WHAT THE eunuch WAS READING

Act 8:32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:

Act 8:33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

Act 8:34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?

Act 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

~~~~

~~~
JESUS PRESENTED HIS PURPOSE FOR COMING TO THE EARTH ..

FROM THE OLD TESTAMENT PROPHECY CONCERNING HIS PURPOSR

Isa 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

Isa 61:2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;
I
sa 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.

THEN IN THE NEW TESTAMENT ...JESUS REITERATED HIS PURPOSE BY

READING FROM ISAIAH 61

Luk 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Luk 4:17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

Luk 4:20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.

Luk 4:21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

ARE YOU YIELDING YOUR SELF TO THE DIVINE PURPOSE OF JESUS>

Location hidden

#478296 Sep 25, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>he hated dust storm with a passion along with mary Hammond. and the person from toms river only became friends right before he died.
he never forgot when he was attacked none of them came to his rescue, in fact only one person defended him and that was "yours truly"
I believe you...honesty is hard to come by by some in this forum lol

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#478297 Sep 25, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus did extend more than His best wishes for our needs..
IT IS WRITTEN OF HIM IN
Heb_4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
FOR ISAIAH THE MESSIANIC PROPHET WROTE ( 700 YEARS BEFORE IT TOOK PLACE)
Isa 53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
Isa 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and
the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
THE ABOVE SHOULD BE THE CONFIDENT EXPECTATIONS OF ALL THAT BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST...
FOR IT IS THE PURPOSE FOR WHICH
HE WAS BORN ON EARTH
LIVED AND REVEALED THE HEAVENLY FATHER
SUFFER UNDER PONTUS PILATE ..
WAS BEATEN WITH AN UNKNOWN NUMBER OF STRIPES..
CARRIED HIS CROSS TO GOLGOTHA
WAS NAILED TO THE CROSS..
BLED AND DIED.
WAS PLACED IN A BORROWED TOMB
ROSE AGAIN
SEEN UPON THE EARTH 40 DAYS
ASCENDED TO THE HEAVENLY FATHER
IS (CURRENTLY)THERE AT THE FATHERS RIGHT HAND MAKING INTERCESSION FOR US.
THE ABOVE IS WHAT THE eunuch WAS READING

Act 8:32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:

Act 8:33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

Act 8:34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?

Act 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

~~~~

~~~
JESUS PRESENTED HIS PURPOSE FOR COMING TO THE EARTH ..

FROM THE OLD TESTAMENT PROPHECY CONCERNING HIS PURPOSR

Isa 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

Isa 61:2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;
I
sa 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.

THEN IN THE NEW TESTAMENT ...JESUS REITERATED HIS PURPOSE BY

READING FROM ISAIAH 61

Luk 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Luk 4:17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

Luk 4:20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.

Luk 4:21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

ARE YOU YIELDING YOUR SELF TO THE DIVINE PURPOSE OF JESUS?

Albuquerque, NM

#478298 Sep 25, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Unbroken succession is not a boast but a reality.
Your Apostolic Succession was debunked many months ago, you Catholics just can't accept it.

One example was that the information, if conveyed from Pope to Pope, seems to be lacking especially when one Pope died within 30 days of taking the office.

I don't believe, like many others would agree, that all the "mysteries of the religion" was conveyed completely, thus showing that the next Pope didn't receive all the "important" information needed to fulfil the office.

You can pull the wool over some people's eyes, but not all of the people will allow you to even place the wool on their heads.

Albuquerque, NM

#478299 Sep 25, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
No, its all in the link which makes the myths you perpetuated quite simple. For many Protestants they think indulgences is just about money buying salvation or forgiveness of sins. That is not the case at all. We shall all be purged. I did not say the Orthodox believe in it nor did I attack the Orthodox on the matter. You chose to attack ours in yet anohter geusture of respectful humility. There was never any specific time or exact amounts as you so arrogantly and sarcasticly put it with yet another respectful post full of humility. Again with the need to attack the church, but remain silent regardless of Protestants say. Your hypcocrisy runs deep.
Money is not a factor in anyone's salvation, yet your organization, just can't seem to get away from it, huh?

Why is it that I keep getting offering envelops in my mail?

Why does an organization need to have it's own bank?

Yeah DS, sure - no money - gothca.

Location hidden

#478300 Sep 25, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, thank you for pointing that out. I noticed it, too, but why waste time making corrections that will only be ignored? There were other inaccuracies in the 'list' that he copied and pasted. He often copies errors. But, again, why bother? Like the other protestants, they're here only to attack and trash, not learn. They killed this board. It was bad before, but never this bad, not even close. They've brought hatred and evil here. It's pretty ugly. Thank goodness, I've been too busy to spend much time here anymore. Take care, DS!
Your buddy Dust Storm was the one who said something opposed to EWTN. I posted this. He never responded.Specifically:

In post #478150 you stated

" The number of days which used to be attached to indulgences were references to the period of penance one might undergo during life on earth."

EWTN states

"The number of "days" that were attached to indulgences were not understood as shortening time in purgatory, but as EASING THE PURIFICATION AFTER DEATH by an amount analogous to the shortening of an earthly penitential period by the number of days indicated."

In other words indulgences didnt shorten "earthly time" but earthly time" was used as an analogy to help people understand that indulgences eased the purification by x quantitty.

So before we start talking about anything lets talk about why you jumping to mock me before you knew your own doctrine.

And there are no inaccuracies on my list, only items that disagree with your Church's makeover and attempt to distance themselves from their original legal, juridical foundation. And quit using the comment that you always thought the Catholic Church as a hospital.The Church as a hospital is how described the Orthodox church long ago and you said you really liked it and stated using it. Your church, until its makeover was compared to a courtroom and a legal system. Except in its new polished image on the Cath sites and the Pope's comments.

Location hidden

#478301 Sep 25, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
At that time, all Christians were in the Church. It wasn't called Catholic yet, but acquired the name a few decades later. There were some dissenters who began teaching error and heresy. They called themselves Christians, but were not in the Church. Christ founded a Church, not Christianity. What she's promoting is protestantism, which is of course an error and many orthodox Christians consider it to be heresy.
LOL...you must be right then...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope Tells Bishops Not to Accept Gay Seminarians Jun 1 Fundie Sniffling 4
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) May 28 Apostolic of another 10,775
News Pope Francis reportedly tells gay man: 'God mad... May 25 The Lightbearer 9
News Pope to gay sex abuse victim: 'God loves you' May 25 RalphB 8
News God made you gay' pope tells victim of clergy s... May 22 Hahahlolahah 6
News What Pope Francis and Obama may talk about (Sep '15) May '18 Serial deserters 54
News Alfie Evans' dad meets POPE to plead for asylum... Apr '18 C Kersey 1