Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 679235 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#478150 Sep 24, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah..Yes Herm the great scholar has no time to respond to accurate information, but has time to spew inaccuaracies above which were not even the focus of the context. However the saga of humiliation and respect for others continues. lol
Myth 5: An indulgence will shorten your time in purgatory by a fixed number of days.
The number of days which used to be attached to indulgences were references to the period of penance one might undergo during life on earth. The Catholic Church does not claim to know anything about how long or short purgatory is in general, much less in a specific person’s case.
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/myths-about-in...
are you forgetting the imdulgence for those already in purgatory that will shorten their time in purgatory???

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#478151 Sep 24, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah..Yes Herm the great scholar has no time to respond to accurate information, but has time to spew inaccuaracies above which were not even the focus of the context. However the saga of humiliation and respect for others continues. lol
Myth 5: An indulgence will shorten your time in purgatory by a fixed number of days.
The number of days which used to be attached to indulgences were references to the period of penance one might undergo during life on earth. The Catholic Church does not claim to know anything about how long or short purgatory is in general, much less in a specific person’s case.
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/myths-about-in...
What the heck is wrong with you!!!! You just cant help yourself can you! You love insulting people to make a point and then you wonder WHY non catholics attack your church.....YOU AND YOUR BUDDIES HERE ARE A SORRY EXAMPLE FOR YOUR CHURCH! That's a fact not an insult!! Try making a post wthout a personal attack
truth

The Vines, Australia

#478152 Sep 24, 2013
No Pape don't know my personality.
He is not angry over me if i can't or any other person can't something do.
They understood everything very well.

When you express yourself as children to Father there is a not pride.

You don't need used special name or ad anything.

Personal conversion is some as member of any family.

Catholic family in unity is some.

Hardship yee suffering is part of great love
where is love not exist but existence within inner of self and holy spirit.
Jesus Christ do that for humanity.

Its good that you know INRI its price as great payment for many.

I confirm and describe that how its looks INRI.

Do you liked me or not for me no any sense not so ever what others say except that others try hurt as much as they could.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#478153 Sep 24, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ..And this just came to me ..But I've Bern saying it
It's not some CATCH Phrase,...sola,scripture,
Used by whoever
Either they are the words,of Jesus,..from the writers or they aren't ..
Not filtered through clerics ..popes,or Luther .
Or did the,Church make them up ...change them
IF THEY ARE THE ACTUAL WORDS OF JESUS ..He spoke them to each person
Who heard them.
They don't make sense to non believers,..THEY make sense to believers,because the SPIRIT. GUIDES, OUR UNDERSTANDING..
as kids,we may learn.the stories ..or hear the GOSPEL
BUT FAITH COMES,TO US,INDIVIDUALLY ....not from anyone or in anyone but JESUS ...
HOW did The writers,remember His,words ..the SPIRIT ..
HOW do we hear the WORDS,READ AND UNDERSTAND THEM ..with true,Faith in our Saviour ..we have the,SPIRIT TO SHOW US,TRUTH.
As,we were promised .
NOT through anything but HIS,WORDS do we KNOW HIM..with the,VOICE OF THE SPIRIT WITHIN US ...
.AND BY HIS,BLOOD WE ARE SAVED
Thanks Rosie that's what I've been trying to say, The Word is the authority, it says what it says unfiltered and always will, they can't hear it or perceive it is the problem, they go by what they are told without being born-anew so they can hear and see and be under the authority of Scripture for themselves. We just have to pray for them. Love you grammy.
truth

The Vines, Australia

#478154 Sep 24, 2013
I am sorry I don't liked be smart or highly educated no.

n

Location hidden

#478155 Sep 24, 2013
EWTN re Purgatory

EWTN re Purgatory

Third, Protestants are often confused by the number of "days" that used to be attached to indulgences. They have nothing to do with time in purgatory.

The number of "days" that were attached to indulgences were not understood as shortening time in purgatory, but as easing the purification after death by an amount analogous to the shortening of an earthly penitential period by the number of days indicated.

"EASING THE PURIFICATION AFTER DEATH BY AN AMOUNT ANALOGOUS TO THE SHORTENING OF AN EARTHLY PENITENTIAL PERIOD BY THE NUMBER OF DAYS INDICATED."

In other words indulgences didnt shorten "earthly time" but earthly time" was used to help people understand that indulgences eased the purification by x quantitty??????????

CMON WILLIS, TALK STRAIGHT

Fourth, because some people were confused by thinking purgatory was shortened by a set number of days with an indulgence, the Church abolished the "day" figures attached to indulgences specifically to eliminate this confusion.
Fifth, the reason that the "days" were never understood to be days of literal time off in purgatory is that the medieval theologians, such as St. Thomas Aquinas, those living at precisely the period when the "days" were attached to indulgences, were very clear about the fact that time does not work the same way in the afterlife as it does here. In fact, they had a special term for it, and would contrast three different temporal modalities—the ordinary flow of events we experience here on earth, called <"time;"> the perpetual present that God experiences, called <"eternity;"> and the middle, less well understood state experienced by those in the afterlife, known as <"aeviternity." >

So the Church has never said that purgatory involves the same kind of time as we experience here on earth, or even time at all. Thus Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, no theological liberal, writes that purgatory may involve "existential" rather than "temporal" duration
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#478156 Sep 24, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
The Storm said
The real presense while some Orthodox do accept transubstantiation others do not. In the end though it is the true body, blood soul and divinity of Christ. Catholics are accused of trying to define this, but in the end we accept it as a mystery in faith what Christ said. If we are mocked for it then so be it. I still dont think people were dying because they were having a cracker snack and that is very disrpectful. Most Orthdodox I know believe Christ is present. While they do not do Adoration most Orthodox I encounter will bow out of respect. For Christ is present and just as they would not disrespect a King. The King of Kings is present.
----------
A bow is not an "Adoration" which we both know involves much much more. Thats like comparing a hello to giving a special awards dinner for someone.
There are theological reasons why most Orthodoxy do not accept transubstantiation. Not for little reasons but big reasons that have to do with Soteriology- how we receive salvation. And more importantly whether we receive salvation.
Some Orthodox writers will be quoted as using the term transubstantiation in Latin translations of a greek word that actually meant something completely different- metamophasis.
Some Orthodox used the term transubstantiation to help Caths defend the Eucharist versus the Protestant Reformers.
In truth the Caths not only displayed arrogance in defining how the bread turned into Christ but identified the exact moment this occurred. Since then they have moved more toward Orthodoxy in backing up from this. Now its a mystery.
The Orthodox position now is they accept the Caths transubstantiation but do not hold that view.
Theres more but Illl stop at this so can receive the insults.
Lets simplify it. Do you believe it is no longer just bread and wine and if it isnt what is it. Is it a cracker snack or nice symbolic geusture as many Protestants say? Its not really necessary right? And you speak for ALL Orthodox right and there is none that will disagree with you right?

From where we stand you are fine with the Eucharist being a cracker snack or symbolic guesture and Catholics are Cannibals, but you have no need at all to defend Christ in the Eucharist out of respect and humility for the belief of others except Catholics.

Just to clear up for all the Protestants. It wont matter how many Orthodox scholars, how many Orthodox boards, or how many councils with the actual statements we can post you will do your dance.

My statement was that the Eucharist is a mystery, but in faith we accept it. I find comments like arrogance of the Catholic church to be very humble and respectful that you are all about. Just answer the questions without your semantic rituals.

Location hidden

#478157 Sep 24, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets simplify it. Do you believe it is no longer just bread and wine and if it isnt what is it. Is it a cracker snack or nice symbolic geusture as many Protestants say? Its not really necessary right? And you speak for ALL Orthodox right and there is none that will disagree with you right?
From where we stand you are fine with the Eucharist being a cracker snack or symbolic guesture and Catholics are Cannibals, but you have no need at all to defend Christ in the Eucharist out of respect and humility for the belief of others except Catholics.
Just to clear up for all the Protestants. It wont matter how many Orthodox scholars, how many Orthodox boards, or how many councils with the actual statements we can post you will do your dance.
My statement was that the Eucharist is a mystery, but in faith we accept it. I find comments like arrogance of the Catholic church to be very humble and respectful that you are all about. Just answer the questions without your semantic rituals.
Do you really not know or are you that devious that you would try to portray me as believing the Eucharist is a cracker. I say number 2. Consubstantiation. If you dont understand the soteriology difference between transub and consub,learn it, It has nothing to do with a "cracker"
truth

The Vines, Australia

#478158 Sep 24, 2013
no
-its not cannibals eat bread and drink pure wine

-blessing upon that

explain that
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#478159 Sep 24, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
ANSWERING IN BRIEF ...was,trying o avoid this,..
USED BORGIS,BECAUSE you all brag on the unbroken succession ..he and others....NOT in any way successors
I do not worship or revere LUTHER
I'M SAYING GOD WANTED MORE,WAYS,TO SPREAD THE FAITH THAN THE RCC who was,so entrenched in politics, and,succession,..they allowed persecutions in Jesus,name
God does use flawed men ..Luther was searching ..unhappy with many practices the Church was allowing ..he was motivated .
Ate there,people who read things into scripture That just are not
therE. However
The faith of God was,brought here ..the freedom to worship was encoded without a,state religion because if CHRISTIANS WHO CAME HERE ..spreading the gospel ..NOT JUST by priests in CATHOLIC territories .
I firmly believe God wAnted the BIBLE spread from coast to coast unfettered by the Catholic monarchs ...which were entwined with THE CC.
Maybe He wanted it sooner ...mire wide spread .... Or with kids,with bibles,as primers ..I don't know.
But it was a clear message to your CHURCH ..they DON'T OWN FAITH ..they cannot persecute,or allow persecution in His,name .
We're the reformers or all settlers great ..of course not ..
GOD USES flawed people ...He got HIS GOSPEL DPREAD FROM TE WORD OF THE GOSPELS,..He made this country blessed .......And used us,for His purpose ..
Unbroken succession is not a boast but a reality. You have not made any case that threatens the church. I dont think anyone is frightened or enlightened by your claims refuted many times.

So to sum up your argument is that God wanted many different churches fighting with one another and killing each other having a wide variety of truths and no visible church just a body of people everwhere with their own truth from the bible alone except Catholics where some might be saved? He made alot of countries blessed. Are you saying the Catholic church had no part in the blessing of America? Like the Catholic who convinced the French Catholics to fight for Indendence? Hospitals, Schools? Catholic Colony the first to allow freedom of religion?
marge

Leesburg, GA

#478160 Sep 24, 2013
Hermi said;
'The Orthodox position now is they accept the Caths transubstantiation but do not hold that view.
Theres more but Illl stop at this so can receive the insults.'

What does that mean, you accept something that is false cause you don't want to argue about it?, No reason to say you accept it if you don't, just stand firm.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#478161 Sep 24, 2013
<quoted text>Do you really not know or are you that devious that you would try to portray me as believing the Eucharist is a cracker. I say number 2. Consubstantiation. If you dont understand the soteriology difference between transub and consub,learn it, It has nothing to do with a "cracker"
You didnt answer the questions. No problem I knew you wouldnt. Now consubstantiation you say but do all Orthodox? NO But who knows what you mean when you say consubstantiation refuted by other Orthodox or is that just used like the term transubstantiation as you say but not the same thing.

Its really quite simple. I asked you what the end product is. Is it just bread and wine or what is it? I do agree its not a cracker. Hey you have said several times the Protestants know what you believe. Its just Catholics that dont seem to know what you believe. So explain it to everyone in clear terms and again you speak for ALL Orthodox right?

Location hidden

#478162 Sep 24, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
You didnt answer the questions. No problem I knew you wouldnt. Now consubstantiation you say but do all Orthodox? NO But who knows what you mean when you say consubstantiation refuted by other Orthodox or is that just used like the term transubstantiation as you say but not the same thing.
Its really quite simple. I asked you what the end product is. Is it just bread and wine or what is it? I do agree its not a cracker. Hey you have said several times the Protestants know what you believe. Its just Catholics that dont seem to know what you believe. So explain it to everyone in clear terms and again you speak for ALL Orthodox right?
Your arrogance is glowing! We owe you nothing for we do not answer to you!

Location hidden

#478163 Sep 24, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
And you speak for All Catholic's right?....

Location hidden

#478164 Sep 24, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are you the Grand Inquisitor? I believe Consubstantiation. I believe that Christ's mystical presence is in the Eucharist. The physical substance of the bread remains the physical substance of bread.I do not know exactly how and the specifics is a mystery.I believe your church is wrong for having Eucharistic Ministers, of receiving communion in one form,for changing at various times in history whether they allowed the laity to have communion in 2 forms, in declaring they knew the exact moment and exact words when the bread was changed into Christ,having your congregation line up like a cafeteria in lines in the middle and side aislres to get the sacred Eyucharist from laity- secretaries, lawyers, etc. Inorher words if you care so much about the Eucharist look ay your own church not Sera, me, the Protestants and Topic.And I believe your church gets in trouble by its Scholastic background and its lack of humility in thinking it knows God's mind and can define the Eucharistic process.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#478165 Sep 24, 2013
<quoted text>are you forgetting the imdulgence for those already in purgatory that will shorten their time in purgatory???
No, its all in the link which makes the myths you perpetuated quite simple. For many Protestants they think indulgences is just about money buying salvation or forgiveness of sins. That is not the case at all. We shall all be purged. I did not say the Orthodox believe in it nor did I attack the Orthodox on the matter. You chose to attack ours in yet anohter geusture of respectful humility. There was never any specific time or exact amounts as you so arrogantly and sarcasticly put it with yet another respectful post full of humility. Again with the need to attack the church, but remain silent regardless of Protestants say. Your hypcocrisy runs deep.

Location hidden

#478166 Sep 24, 2013
<quoted text>Who are you the Grand Inquisitor? I believe Consubstantiation. I believe that Christ's mystical presence is in the Eucharist. The physical substance of the bread remains the physical substance of bread.I do not know exactly how and the specifics is a mystery.I believe your church is wrong for having Eucharistic Ministers, of receiving communion in one form,for changing at various times in history whether they allowed the laity to have communion in 2 forms, in declaring they knew the exact moment and exact words when the bread was changed into Christ,having your congregation line up like a cafeteria in lines in the middle and side aislres to get the sacred Eyucharist from laity- secretaries, lawyers, etc. Inorher words if you care so much about the Eucharist look ay your own church not Sera, me, the Protestants and Topic.And I believe your church gets in trouble by its Scholastic background and its lack of humility in thinking it knows God's mind and can define the Eucharistic process.
Pride can be so blinding and the truth will stay hidden.I Love you niko. Don't ever change!!!

Location hidden

#478167 Sep 24, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
No, its all in the link which makes the myths you perpetuated quite simple. For many Protestants they think indulgences is just about money buying salvation or forgiveness of sins. That is not the case at all. We shall all be purged. I did not say the Orthodox believe in it nor did I attack the Orthodox on the matter. You chose to attack ours in yet anohter geusture of respectful humility. There was never any specific time or exact amounts as you so arrogantly and sarcasticly put it with yet another respectful post full of humility. Again with the need to attack the church, but remain silent regardless of Protestants say. Your hypcocrisy runs deep.
Boy, you love to twist things around to jusify a continue attack with you being the victim. Please don't ever admit defeat. It just wouldn't be in your nature would it...learn the faults of your own church before attacking us......
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#478168 Sep 24, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>And you speak for All Catholic's right?....
The teaching of the Church is one.

http://www.christusrex.org/www1/CDHN/euch2.ht...

1376 The Council of Trent summarizes the Catholic faith by declaring: "Because Christ our Redeemer said that it was truly his body that he was offering under the species of bread, it has always been the conviction of the Church of God, and this holy Council now declares again, that by the consecration of the bread and wine there takes place a change of the whole substance of the bread into the substance of the body of Christ our Lord and of the whole substance of the wine into the substance of his blood. This change the holy Catholic Church has fittingly and properly called transubstantiation."

[204] 204 Council of Trent (1551): DS 1642; cf. Mt 26:26 ff.; Mk 14:22 ff.; Lk
22:19 ff.; 1 Cor 11:24 ff.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#478169 Sep 24, 2013
Hermi said'
'.And I believe your church gets in trouble by its Scholastic background and its lack of humility in thinking it knows God's mind and can define the Eucharistic process.'

I think your both clueless, Jesus says 'this is my body'{that He gave on the cross for our sins) and we have together communion in that body because Jesus says so, no human has anything to do with this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Melania Trump covers her head one day and n... 5 min Eric 4
News Why did Melania Trump wear a head covering at t... 1 hr nanoanomaly 1
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 4 hr Jasonville 84,711
News What is up with that strange photo of President... 7 hr Chilli J 14
News Pope's Egypt visit offers chance to improve Cat... Fri BB Board 1
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) May 24 Apostolic of anot... 10,545
News How the war-of-words between Trump and Pope Fra... May 23 WhollyConcrete 8
More from around the web