Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
460,681 - 460,700 of 538,578 Comments Last updated 28 min ago
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>I remember when I first met Pastor Don. i9t was in 1983 just a few months after I was Saved. God was dealing with me to go to his church and I talked to my mom because I thought that God wanted me to preach that night and she gave me some advice. "just go and wait on the Lord' He will tell you what to do. and I wwent and sat in the back and a young woman wanted to be Baptised in the Holy Ghost, and twice people prayed for her and nothing happened and then the Lord moved on me and told me to go up and lay hands on her. and as I walked up, people moved out of my way and made room for me and I spoke to Don and told him that this time God would answer her Prayers.
and He did and she was filled with the Holy Ghost.
I said all of this to say this. to hank.
Christians still lay hands on other Christians(not this word) and they receive the Baptism of the Holy Ghost.
this Baptism doesn't happen by getting wet nor when sinners get Saved, He(the Holy Ghost) comes later with Power and Glory.
LOL.....

I like you too, Preston.....

And, you know I have to respectfully disagree with you on the laying on of hands.....

Galatians 1:10

10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Simon even offered money to receive this ability, to NO avail....

Acts 8:17-19

17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

18 When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money

19 and said,“Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”

And, we all know what Peter told him.....

We receive the "gift of the Holy Spirit" (aka "the indwelling of the Holy Spirit")....we DO NOT receive "Baptism of the Holy Spirit."

“Greater Love Than This”

Since: Aug 08

Has No Man

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because the Immaculate Conception wasn't formally defined (pronounced dogma) until 1854, does not mean that it wasn't believed for centuries prior to that. It was. This is a common mistake most protestants today make as they don't really understand.
THE PROTESTANT REFORMERS ON MARY
Yet again the Immaculate Conception was a doctrine Luther defended to his death (as confirmed by Lutheran scholars like Arthur Piepkorn).
http://www.catholicapologetics.info/apologeti...
He h ing is MARY was not saved BY HERSELF ..IT WAS THE SAVIOUR SHE ACKNOWLEDGED ...

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary's perpetual viriginity has been believed by Christians since the beginning. Heck, even your reformers believed it.
not really worth respondidng too, but I am bored so there it is.

people were lied to by the catholic church.

NUFF SAID!!!

but today, you couldn't convince people that mary lived with her husband and never had sex with him.

just how many children do you have with your wife? CASE CLOSED
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Dan"
So, is there like a list of sins God won't forgive, or people God cannot forgive? Curious, as I thought, being God and all, that He was all-loving and all merciful.
I mean, God loves everyone, I thought, but you seem to know otherwise.
GOD CANNOT/WILL NOT FORGIVE UNFORGIVENESS.
Mat 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
NOTE
Mat 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
So, if you don't forgive them, God won't?

Not sure where you're going here, GIF.

I think the deal is if they the sinner are repentant, God forgives them, regardless of what you or I do or think.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
The,FATHER welcomed BACK the Son.
The son already was,in the Fathers,home ...But he left..SPENT his,inheritance .
The only time in the scripture That God ..in a,parable..is,portrayed as,running ..to embrace the errant son.
The sacrifice included every sin..You think they left some out when JESUS,Frank the Cup..
I'm not sure what that passage,meANS,..it was s us go the,Jews,maybe those who continued to preach the law,... But it does,not negate that ALL SIN went to the Cross,...
And that we must confess,sin to Jesus,..our ONLY MEDIATOR .
Rose,

If a person has been saved (baptized in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ,) they have obtained forgiveness of their sins.

BUT, if they <<<<<deliberate ly>>>>> keep on sinning, there is NO sacrifice for sin.

Hebrews 10:26

26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have *****received the knowledge of the truth,***** no sacrifice for sins is left,

***they received the knowledge of the truth*****

***NO sacrifice for sins is left***
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

who="Anthony MN"
Do you believe a person can have homosexual attractions and through God's graces repent and remain celibate and also be born again? Or would they only be born again if they somehow became heterosexual?
Homosexual attraction is a 'temptation' just as any other. An old hymn says 'yield not to temptation, for yielding is sin'.
There is no such thing as 'a homosexual'...just people who engage in homosexual behavior.
Are you saying a person cannot be celibate? That's not what Jesus and St. Paul said.

I don't believe people are "born that way". I believe there are many societal and early developmental factors involved, however, I think the jury is still out on whether a person, who has from their childhood had same-sex attraction, can change it.

It is a 'temptation' for a born again heterosexual man to look with lust on another man's wife. He and doesn't act on it, he repents and asks the Lord for forgiveness. The homosexual does the same. Does God judge one differently than the other? Are all men and women who have same-sex attraction headed for hell no matter what? Even if they don't engage in homosexual behavior?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible, the written Word of God, calls Mary a virgin and says she is blessed. You call us Catholics liars for calling her the blessed virgin. You cannot on the one hand use the bible as "God's Word" to bludgeon people and then dismiss what it says as just one person's opinion.
Was Mary a virgin? Was she blessed? If you say no, you deny God's Word. If you say yes, I will accept your apology for calling us liars.
no one on here has ever claimed that mary was not a virgin when the angel came to her.

but the Bible never claims that she remained a virgin, especially when the Bible is clear that Jesus had other brothers and sisters.

New Living Translation
Someone told Jesus, "Your mother and your brothers are outside, and they want to see you."
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

who="Anthony MN"
And apparently you only believe parts of the bible because you said ""MAKE UP LIES ABOUT ...MARY...CALL HER THE BLESSED VIRGIN.." even though it clearly says she's a virgin and blessed.
Mary IS blessed, and she WAS a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus.
Your husband says we lied about it. Now would be a good time for him utilize 1 John 1:9.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.....
I like you too, Preston.....
And, you know I have to respectfully disagree with you on the laying on of hands.....
Galatians 1:10
10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.
Simon even offered money to receive this ability, to NO avail....
Acts 8:17-19
17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
18 When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money
19 and said,“Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”
And, we all know what Peter told him.....
We receive the "gift of the Holy Spirit" (aka "the indwelling of the Holy Spirit")....we DO NOT receive "Baptism of the Holy Spirit."
of course, you disagree.

God and the Holy Ghost don't enter into your church so of course, you will not see His Power and Glory.

and I will readily admit that not all receive this Baptism of the Holy Ghost, some want, but don't want to die out to self
Regina

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
He h ing is MARY was not saved BY HERSELF ..IT WAS THE SAVIOUR SHE ACKNOWLEDGED ...
Yes, of course. No one is denying that the Blessed Virgin Mary was saved by Christ.
This is something you should have learned in Catholic school.

Btw, "for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.".....why don't you?

“Greater Love Than This”

Since: Aug 08

Has No Man

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible, the written Word of God, calls Mary a virgin and says she is blessed. You call us Catholics liars for calling her the blessed virgin. You cannot on the one hand use the bible as "God's Word" to bludgeon people and then dismiss what it says as just one person's opinion.
Was Mary a virgin? Was she blessed? If you say no, you deny God's Word. If you say yes, I will accept your apology for calling us liars.
She was blessed by God eh o chose her o carry Jesus ..She was blessed by being conceived of the HOLY Spirit ..She was blessed by having the gift of GrAce (full of grAce ) by which. GIFT she Had faith in HER SAVIOUR...

SHE WAS A VIRGIN .conceived by the Spirit of God ..

She was a Blessed Virgin ..most surely.

SHE was conceivably he most blessed of Humans in hat she was chosen o be the Mother of Jesus ..But she was a normal human being until the SPIRIT came ..devout Jew I'm sure ..obedient o her parents and he law,I'm sure ..But HUMAN..
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

<quoted text>
YOU GRAB A HOLD OF ... AND DEFEND THE ONLY PART THAT YOU ARE OBSESSED ABOUT...
YOU SAY MARY IS PERPETUAL VIRGIN ... IN YOU WORSHIPING HER..ATTRIBUTING
LIES AND ADORATION AND ACCOLADES ....THAT YOU CANNOT PROVE BY GODS WORD...FACT IS THE WORD SAYS SHE WAS NOT A PERPETUAL VIRGIN
Mat 13:55 Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?
Mat 13:56 And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things?
Mar_6:3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.
I said nothing about her perpetual virginity during your tirade against Catholics today. You called us lairs for calling her blessed virgin.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
No of course not.
It's like a circle ..tried to explain it before.
The FATHER calls us through Spirit ..we know we must repent and BELIEVE WE NEED A Saviour ..hose who don't repent obviously don't know or believe they need a SAVIOUR.
We ..through the gift of grace from God we believe in faith.
Once we have that faith
It leads us to live by God's word ..works ..evangelizing ..charity...all these are the fruits of that faith.
If we sin..even if we sin greatly..the Spirit abiding in uS calls us to repent ...because of the grace He gave us. The FAITH BORN IN US ..
BELIEviNG TRULY that Jesus is Lord And Saviour ..
And it goes on like this for those who ate truly born Again...in our Saviour Jesus Christ .
Rose,

We are called by the Word of God.....

2 Thessalonians 2:13-15

13 But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord, because God chose you as firstfruits to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.

14 <<<<<He called you to this through our gospel, that you might share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.>>>>>

15 So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.

Baptized into the death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord, Jesus Christ.....
Regina

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>not really worth respondidng too, but I am bored so there it is.
NUFF SAID!!!
but today, you couldn't convince people that mary lived with her husband and never had sex with him.
Why is Mary Considered Ever-Virgin?
A Protestant inquirer recently wrote the Orthodox Christian Information Center to ask why it is a dogma of the Orthodox Church that the Blessed Virgin Mary is ever-virgin. This page was compiled as a response.

Two dogmas concerning the Mother of God are bound up, in closest fashion, with the dogma of God the Words becoming man. They are: a) Her Ever-virginity, and b) Her name of Theotokos.

When the heretics and simple blasphemers refuse to acknowledge the Ever-virginity of the Mother of God on the grounds that the Evangelists mention the "brothers and sisters of Jesus," they are refuted by the following facts from the Gospel:
http://orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/evervirgin ....
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Any person living in sin, homosexual or heterosexual, will not enter heaven.
YEP!
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
As,I have said repeatedly.
Ask James who is mother was wen you see him
Other wise discussing the marriage bed of Joseph..who was told by he Angel of the Lord ...to take her to WIFE.....IS UNSEEMLY...
I learned one thing as a child ..but he more I read and learn..I believe it's possible Joseph and Mary were both obedient Jewish married people .
Another mystery
But on the rest of my post ..if you believe Mary's words ...SHE NEEDED A SAVIOUR...She received the Holy Spirit and acknowledged FAITH IN HER SAVIOUR ..
SO WHO DO YOU BELIEVE...MARY. OR A POPE 1800 ears later about an immaculate conception...here is your challenge..the scripture where Mary recognizes,HER SAVIOUR..it your Church..
Interesting choice ...
Mary needed a Saviour. No pope or Catholic has ever said otherwise. The more I read your posts Rose, the more I realize you had a very immature understanding of Catholic doctrine and and a poor catechesis. It not necessarily your fault though, the Church hasn't always done the best job teaching the faith.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary called God her Saviour ..was she lying ???
She was saved by he power of the HOLY Spirit ..having FAIH IN HER SAVIOUR...
YOU BIEVE YOYR CHYRCH. NOT Mary .. intersting.
Need I g and having a Saviour DOES,NOT MAKE HER LESS HOLY or deserving of being the Mother of God Regina,...
Another point I'd like to make is that what IS interesting is the fact that it was the Catholic Church who discerned under the guidance of the Holy Spirit as promised by Jesus Christ that the words spoken by the Blessed Virgin Mary were inspired and belonged in the canon of scripture in the first place.

So to say I believe the Church is quite right, thank you! That's exactly what Christ intended!!
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>not really worth respondidng too, but I am bored so there it is.
NUFF SAID!!!
Today people are obssessed with sex. It wasn't always that way. Chastity and virginity was considered a virtue and Jesus praised it.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
She was blessed by God eh o chose her o carry Jesus ..She was blessed by being conceived of the HOLY Spirit ..She was blessed by having the gift of GrAce (full of grAce ) by which. GIFT she Had faith in HER SAVIOUR...
SHE WAS A VIRGIN .conceived by the Spirit of God ..
She was a Blessed Virgin ..most surely.
SHE was conceivably he most blessed of Humans in hat she was chosen o be the Mother of Jesus ..But she was a normal human being until the SPIRIT came ..devout Jew I'm sure ..obedient o her parents and he law,I'm sure ..But HUMAN..
Right, she was human and she needed a Saviour. No Catholic says otherwise. This line of dicussion was started by confrint when he said Catholics made up lies by calling her blessed virgon.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

hojo wrote:
Catholic Saint of the Day
Andrew Kim Taegon-Paul Chong Hasang-and Companions
1821-1846
all martyred for their faith)
We marvel at the fact that the Korean Church was strictly a lay Church for a dozen years after its birth, until it became Catholic! How did the people survive without the Eucharist? It is no belittling of this and other sacraments to realize that there must be a living faith before there can be a truly beneficial celebration of the Eucharist. The sacraments are signs of God's initiative and response to faith already present. The sacraments increase grace and faith, but only if there is something ready to be increased.
Quote:
"The Korean Church is unique because it was founded entirely by lay people. This fledgling Church, so young and yet so strong in faith, withstood wave after wave of fierce persecution. Thus, in less than a century, it could boast of 10,000 martyrs. The death of these martyrs became the leaven of the Church and led to today's splendid flowering of the Catholic Church in Korea. Even today their undying spirit sustains the Christians in the Church of silence in the north of this tragically divided land" (Blessed John Paul II, speaking at the canonization). v
The memorials of the Martyrs are particularly beautiful. The second reading in today's Office is from Fr. Andrew Kim Taegon:

Second reading
From the final exhortation of Andrew Kim Taegon, priest and martyr
Love and perseverance are the crown of faith
http://divineoffice.org/

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Agenda for Pope's apostolic visit to Sri Lanka ... 17 hr Ponniah 1
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Tue Crazy 8,273
Allah is great.... (Jul '13) Tue christ 170
Cuba to build first Catholic church in decades Aug 25 WE JUST DONT CARE 37
Pope Aims At Revival of Holy Roman Empire Aug 23 Patriot 1
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Aug 23 ELIAS IBARRA 46
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... Aug 22 ELIAS IBARRA 64
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••