Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 573,993
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#477054 Sep 19, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
100% proof private interpretations of sacred scripture is the will of the devil and not Christ Jesus. How many more cults need to pop up before you fanatics get it. You're not an authority on scripture, you can not undo the the word of God by inserting your own opinions on His teachings.
The Bible is the product of yrs of Catholic tradition. It was compiled from a series of councils by the authoritative teaching Magisterium set up by the Apostles. The Apostles set up this Church and never once commanded them to form a Christian Bible. That's why it took 300 yrs to form one. Fyi, this came AFTER Constantine was already dead.(more facts that destroys your theology)
The Protestant Bible- which I assume you use- is the result of a handful of heretics who removed 7 of the sacred books without authority from God.
Do you really believe this is from the devil???

Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Location hidden

#477055 Sep 19, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
But you're still interpreting Gods word. The Bible still needs to be interpreted. How do you know you're coming to Biblical truth? Also, how many Books of the Bible do you consider 'Gods word'?
What if God wants you to pray for the dead- which is alluded to in the KJV NT, but blatantly spelled out in the OT scriptures in the Books the reformed removed? To me, that doesn't make sense to say you're trying to follow Gods word as He states it, but not using all the Books.(nor the oral instructions from the Apostle, which is ALSO Gods word).
No interpretation....if that is what you are doing, you are not being led by the Holy Spirit...as promised by Jesus..

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#477056 Sep 19, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
BUT YOU ARE NOT REFUSING ME....I AM JUST HIS HUMBLE MESSINGER
A HUMBLE MESSENGER??????The word "humility" doesn't even exist in your "half-truth, half-heresy" Christian vocabulary. Lets start with the A's (Animosity), going no further and leaving it at that!!
marge

Ames, IA

#477057 Sep 19, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, Marge, lets look at the Book of James...
James 2:19-20
19 You believe that there is one God. Good! <<<<<Even the demons believe that—and shudder.>>>>>
20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?
***Even the demons believe that-and shudder.***
demons believe/faith - Are the demons going to heaven for ONLY having belief/faith???
Bible faith that comes from a disciple is ACTIVE and OBEDIENT!
well Hank I don't believe a person can be 'active and obedient' until they are a Saved disciple.
marge

Ames, IA

#477058 Sep 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Will you please respond to my question; You specifically stated you reject much of Luther's teaching, yet claim he rececived a revelation from God regarding truth. What is your authority to decide which truths God revelaed to Luther?
The authority comes from the Spirit of Truth to search the Scriptures ourselves to see whether or not someone is speaking the truth.
marge

Ames, IA

#477059 Sep 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Help me out here marge...if a person says they're saved at one particular moment and it's not immediately evident, or perhaps they commit some serious sin and continue unrepentantly in it, do you still believe they are saved?
What does the Scripture say?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#477060 Sep 19, 2013
dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You're going in a circle, NASL.
If you require God's list of inspired texts, claim that a lack of such a list then vitiates Anthony's reliance upon texts, it also vitiates your similar reliance upon any texts.
If Anthony cannot prove to your satisfaction that the canonical gospels are inspired, you certainly can't turn around and then claim that they aren't, or that yours are. You don't know.
"You can't prove to me that your stuff is inspired, so mine is and yours isn't". That's your argument.
Again, you mistaken my posts and point.

I think all texts are inspired by "God". Your team are the ones who claim "God" limited "Himself" - OR - you think men are more powerful than "God" and know exactly what is inspired and what is not.

In other words, I don't make the claim you do. I'm honest enough to know that "God" DIDN'T PICK AND CHOOSE WHAT "HE" INSPIRED - men did.

You are confused on what you believe.

Why do you think fallible men can discern an infallible being?

Why only certain men?

If "God" inspires everyone, then your argument is nullified and bogus and all you are doing is promoting a ruse, which seems like for your own benefit.

"If Anthony cannot prove to your satisfaction that the canonical gospels are inspired, you certainly can't turn around and then claim that they aren't, or that yours are. You don't know."
- Another unfounded claim, Dan?

But since you continue to divert from answering, and thinking your answer is sufficient, well, it isn't and you've fallen short yet another time.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#477061 Sep 19, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
well Hank I don't believe a person can be 'active and obedient' until they are a Saved disciple.
And, Marge, you cannot be a saved person believing in "faith alone!"

Albuquerque, NM

#477062 Sep 19, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you know NOTHING concerning the Word of God...
If this is your response and position, I beg to differ.

Your response show lack of substance and really nothing but an opinion.

More than likely, I said something you disagree, and all you can come up with is this?

Why do you think "Paul" was more enlightened than Jesus on salvation?

C'mon "truth" - you must have a reason to quote "Paul" over Jesus?

Albuquerque, NM

#477063 Sep 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Great NASL, you stick with your guys. And for some reason, even though I rarely, if ever, direct a post to you, for some reason you feel obligated to constantly reply to posts I've made to others. It's almost as though you take personal offense at their inability to respond to me. I'd prefer you didn't do that, thank you very much.
I'm just getting sick and tired of Catholics spewing their made-up lies to others, thinking that they are factual.

I'm basically showing you your err in belief, based upon the facts you refuse to acknowledge.

If you don't like me responding, then don't post, to give me something to respond to.

Suggest - register your name - and that way you can send PMs to anyone you choose.

You aren't this uninformed Anthony, I can tell that much, so stop acting like you are.
Clay

United States

#477064 Sep 19, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really believe that an ALL POWERFUL and KNOWING God would give us (His creation) his awesome Words and we won't be able to understand them?
If we believe this, what are we saying about God, Clay?
Isaiah 55:8-9
8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
<<<<<so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.>>>>>
VERY IMPORTANT.....
Isaiah 55:11
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It WILL NOT return to me EMPTY,
but WILL ACCOMPLISH what I desire
and ACHIEVE the purpose for which <<<<<I SENT IT.>>>>>
Do we not understand that everything we NEED for life is in this book???
Do you really believe God would give us the scriptures without an earthly authority to safeguard and interpret them?
You do know the Bible wasn't published until October 22nd, 1452. Before then, the Prestons, Confrints and you did not have one sitting on your night stand. The Sacred scriptures were found inside the Churches with the Church protecting them. I respect your sincere zeal for Jesus and some of the Bible, but you aren't an authority to decide what the Apostles taught. I mean, they already explained what they wrote. I don't understand why you guys remove the word of God that they already revealed.

Albuquerque, NM

#477065 Sep 19, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
It's almost as though you take personal offense at their inability to respond to me. I'd prefer you didn't do that, thank you very much.
BTW - you are wrong again, with your "thought".

They don't respond, because they don't know how to when someone double-talks at them. Lucky for them, I'm here, an ex-Catholic, who has heard the double talk for a good portion of my life.

I've figured out you guys, and guess what, I will make sure others have the correct information that your team has refused to convey.

Get over it - your tactic won't work with me, as I will continue to post to whomever says the smae ol' bullshite, as much as Catholics do.

Yes, Protestants, I haven't forgotten about you either.

:o)
Clay

United States

#477066 Sep 19, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
What happened to purgatory?????
I dunno, I didn't see anything on the news. Was there a fire there?
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#477067 Sep 19, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
The authority comes from the Spirit of Truth to search the Scriptures ourselves to see whether or not someone is speaking the truth.
It can't be. Lutherans believe the bible says things that confrinting says aren't true. But confrinting says Luther had the Spirit of truth. Either confrinting is beginning to suffer from dementia or believes he's the supreme authority over everyone else (and apparently you too) when it comes to interpreting of the bible. It's illogical and impossible for the Holy Spirit to have opposing truths marge.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#477068 Sep 19, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
What does the Scripture say?
It says faith and works lead to salvation. It does not say we are saved for all eternity in an instant when we accept Jesus as our personal Saviour. It says work our your salvation with fear and trembling. It says we will be judged based on the good we do, not just how much faith we profess. It says we can reject God after we've accepted Him and lose our salvation. And it's not just me saying this after I've read the bible all by myself, it's 2000 years worth of Christians saying it.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#477069 Sep 19, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just getting sick and tired of Catholics spewing their made-up lies to others, thinking that they are factual.
I'm basically showing you your err in belief, based upon the facts you refuse to acknowledge.
If you don't like me responding, then don't post, to give me something to respond to.
Suggest - register your name - and that way you can send PMs to anyone you choose.
You aren't this uninformed Anthony, I can tell that much, so stop acting like you are.
Maybe this is the particular week of the month that you should refrain from posting here, you're awfully crabby.

Location hidden

#477070 Sep 19, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I dunno, I didn't see anything on the news. Was there a fire there?
Best dodge I have seen on this forum!!!!!!
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#477071 Sep 19, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really believe God would give us the scriptures without an earthly authority to safeguard and interpret them?
You do know the Bible wasn't published until October 22nd, 1452. Before then, the Prestons, Confrints and you did not have one sitting on your night stand. The Sacred scriptures were found inside the Churches with the Church protecting them. I respect your sincere zeal for Jesus and some of the Bible, but you aren't an authority to decide what the Apostles taught. I mean, they already explained what they wrote. I don't understand why you guys remove the word of God that they already revealed.
Why would you need any other earthly authority other than the elders of the local church?

There are NO earthly headquarters....
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#477072 Sep 19, 2013
<quoted text>
BTW - you are wrong again, with your "thought".
They don't respond, because they don't know how to when someone double-talks at them. Lucky for them, I'm here, an ex-Catholic, who has heard the double talk for a good portion of my life.
I've figured out you guys, and guess what, I will make sure others have the correct information that your team has refused to convey.
Get over it - your tactic won't work with me, as I will continue to post to whomever says the smae ol' bullshite, as much as Catholics do.
Yes, Protestants, I haven't forgotten about you either.
:o)
Labeling something "double-talk" that refutes your position without having a rebuttal is considered "loosing the argument" in a debate.
Human Being

Kinder, LA

#477073 Sep 19, 2013
<quoted text>
No. You just want to add qualifiers to the word, because you can't justify it by quantifying it.
I've shown you clear evidence that faith is acquired as one learns.
You've chosen to disregard this important point, and think other methods are used to acquire this faith.
Yet you haven't shown any support for your claim. I wonder why that is?
Oh, I know why you haven't - because you can't.
*sighs*
NASL

I understand. Many people on this thread do not accept standard definitions(or they have not studied simple words they use, which have many meanings). In your case, it is faith and belief.

You seem inclined to understanding they are interchangeable.

They are not.

Faith is not supported by physical evidence, as hard observable facts, as you would desire it to be, nor can I relinquish it from heaven to earth, and give it qualifiers and quantifiers, as you would desire it from me also....

The virtues of faith and belief have been discussed and refined definitions are available to you. I can only give you my limited experience with them, and convey by conceptualizing and writing to you about them.

Writing can be an art-form, and also a technical description. I try to use them both in the vehicle of language.

Our difficulty in communicating lies in the your relationship of seeking to make all created(seen and unseen) things as observable, and intellectual.
Of course human beings have a fair degree of sophistication in the intellectual realm, I agree. But for me, it is a means, and not an end.

You would have me make faith an intellectual exercise in observation, but this is not the case. So you seek to discount faith and call it non-existent. You have an existential problem, through which your comfort zone is called the paranormal. It is kind of a blurry, foggy world, this paranormal experience you live in.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 42 min jake 83,957
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 6 hr Cultastic 8,911
Was Obama right about the Crusades and Islamic ... Sun Lawrence Wolf 2,021
Most Americans see combating climate change as ... Sun The Fact Is 2
Saudi effort to promote open society abroad in ... Feb 23 jinxi 3
9 Historical Events That Occurred on Christmas Day Feb 21 cupcake 1
Pope says Catholics must practice a responsible... Feb 20 amc 4
More from around the web