Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 670271 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Truth

Leesburg, VA

#476949 Sep 18, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Ac 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
Lu 3:10; Ac 2:37; 9:6
31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Joh 3:16,36; 6:47; 1Jo 5:10
I see nothing about the requirement of being baptized to be saved in the parallel verses listed for Ac 16:30-31
Ac 16:33 is not a parallel verse to the verses I quoted...it is not part of the answer which was given...quote:Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Sorry, Oxbow....

You cannot leave out verse 33.....

Acts 16:33

33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.

same hour of the night....

washed their stripes.....

and was BAPTIZED.....

Do you really believe that Paul and Silas would have let them go without being baptized?

As we all know how much Paul and Silas was concerned for people's souls.....

Don't you believe that Paul and Silas wanted them to be able to obtain the spiritual blessings which are in Christ Jesus?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#476950 Sep 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's "diverting"?
You insistently ask us why we "believe men instead of Jesus", and then run out the Gospel of Thomas, which is of identical sourcing as any Gospel. It's not written in Jesus' own hand nor does it claim to be, in the same manner as what we rely upon.
Your inquiry has been asked and answered a million times. John 3:5 is what Catholics believe represents Christ's statement about baptism.
Of course it is, Dan.

Why do you limit "God's inspiration"?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#476951 Sep 18, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
NASL
Faith.
Faith = Self. Faith is a product of one's mind, through learning about a religious view and then accepting that this path is accurate.

So we can conclude that your Self acquired it. Like I asked - How?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#476952 Sep 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Your husband certainly isn't willing to grant to Catholics the latitude you do here to Luther's human foible, particularly since Luther never had any "revelation" recorded whereupon he changed his mind nor his statements concerning Jews.
When it's Catholics who demonstrate human fault, he attributes the fault to Satan, extrapolating that Satan is the root of any evil on part of any Catholic living or dead, and then broad-brushes the entire institution on those grounds.
~~~
While I am not necessarily a follower..of.. Martin Luther nor do I subscribe to all his teachings

He was a Catholic priest...that changed the LIVES for many Christians.

When he proved to THEM that "THE JUST SHALL LIVE BY HIS FAITH"...

He is not the primary subject here in this forum...

BUT THAT HE IS DESPISED BY ROMAN CATHOLICS AND THAT SOME CONSIDERED HIM A TOOL OF THE DEVIL IS VERY OBVIOUS...

THAT THEY CONSIDER THEIR CHURCH IT'S RITUALS CALISTHENICS MORE IMPORTANT THAT THE TRUTH OF GOD'S WORD IS ALSO EVIDENT.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#476953 Sep 18, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it is, Dan.
Why do you limit "God's inspiration"?
I'm sorry-of course "what" is?

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#476954 Sep 18, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
confronting
Peace.
Hmmmm. I thought Paul was writing to Timothy, and speaking about himself.
You are taking something out of the scriptures and applying it which may or may not be true in your situation, and view of things.
Moses struck the rock twice, in frustration. I just forewarn you to be careful(that is a reproof(although I cannot do it to your face)).
~~~

THE BIBLE SAYS...

2Ti_3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
marge

Leesburg, GA

#476955 Sep 18, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Luther tried like crazy to eliminate St. James' epistle from the canon because it didn't reconcile with his "new revelation" on justification. It still doesn't, and you guys just try to cover it up (like your sin) and gloss over it. At the end of his life he deeply regretted opening Pandora's box....
We don't think James contradicts Paul on justification at all as Paul to mentions 'good works';

Eph 2:8-10
8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves:[it is] the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10For we are his workmanship, >created in Christ Jesus unto good works,< which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#476956 Sep 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Oxbow's and atems Logic Applied To Other Commands of Christ:
"Jesus commanded us to love Him and love each other as ourselves.
To whom, specifically, did He issue this command?
Even if you give me a name, they're dead now, so this command of Jesus is invalid."
Ox and atem's logic on baptism applied to Jesus' other commands.
You need not prove that you are an idiot that cannot face the truth...we know it!!!

What you are saying proves that these people were lied to!!!!

I repeat mah questions: Why were they lied to???!!!! Why were they not told the truth???? Why were they not told to be baptized????!!!!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#476957 Sep 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Why, do you think, did Paul and Silas see to it that the jailer and all his household were baptized?
What does that have to do with the price of ice in Alaska???!!!!!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#476958 Sep 18, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, Oxbow....
You cannot leave out verse 33.....
Acts 16:33
33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.
same hour of the night....
washed their stripes.....
and was BAPTIZED.....
Do you really believe that Paul and Silas would have let them go without being baptized?
As we all know how much Paul and Silas was concerned for people's souls.....
Don't you believe that Paul and Silas wanted them to be able to obtain the spiritual blessings which are in Christ Jesus?
Am not leaving out Ac 16:33....I made reference to it several times..

Here it is once more: Ac 16:33 is not a parallel verse to the verses I quoted...it is not part of the answer which was given...quote:Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Clay

Detroit, MI

#476959 Sep 18, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
THE BIBLE SAYS...
2Ti_3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
I agree.

"Do not seek from the Lord the highest office, nor the seat of honor from the King.
Do not assert your righteousness before the Lord,
nor display your wisdom before the king.
Do not seek to become a judge,
Less you be unable to remove iniquity.
Do not offend against the public, and do not disgrace yourself among the people"

Sirach 7:4-7
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#476960 Sep 18, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
While I am not necessarily a follower..of.. Martin Luther nor do I subscribe to all his teachings
He was a Catholic priest...that changed the LIVES for many Christians.
When he proved to THEM that "THE JUST SHALL LIVE BY HIS FAITH"...
He is not the primary subject here in this forum...
BUT THAT HE IS DESPISED BY ROMAN CATHOLICS AND THAT SOME CONSIDERED HIM A TOOL OF THE DEVIL IS VERY OBVIOUS...
THAT THEY CONSIDER THEIR CHURCH IT'S RITUALS CALISTHENICS MORE IMPORTANT THAT THE TRUTH OF GOD'S WORD IS ALSO EVIDENT.
Actually he tried to change the bible to read "by faith ALONE". If he preached the truth of God's Word, why do you reject so much of what he preached?
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#476961 Sep 18, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't think James contradicts Paul on justification at all as Paul to mentions 'good works';
Eph 2:8-10
8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves:[it is] the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10For we are his workmanship, >created in Christ Jesus unto good works,< which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Is someone who has faith but not good works still saved?
marge

Leesburg, GA

#476964 Sep 18, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Is someone who has faith but not good works still saved?
Doesn't sound like it read it again;

>created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Human Being

Iota, LA

#476965 Sep 18, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith = Self. Faith is a product of one's mind, through learning about a religious view and then accepting that this path is accurate.
So we can conclude that your Self acquired it. Like I asked - How?
NASL

Our definitions are very different concerning faith. Your definition is more approximately that of belief.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, and the evidence of things unseen.

Belief is based more on epistemology, in the knowledge and experience of things.

Faith exists, that is how....

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#476966 Sep 18, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's "diverting"?
You insistently ask us why we "believe men instead of Jesus", and then run out the Gospel of Thomas, which is of identical sourcing as any Gospel. It's not written in Jesus' own hand nor does it claim to be, in the same manner as what we rely upon.
Your inquiry has been asked and answered a million times. John 3:5 is what Catholics believe represents Christ's statement about baptism.

New Age wrote:

Of course it is, Dan.

Why do you limit "God's inspiration"?
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry-of course "what" is?
Dan wrote: "the Gospel of Thomas, which is of identical sourcing as any Gospel."

I guess you just can't accept the inspiration "God" has with GoThomas, huh? Even when you claim the inspiration exists within it.

Hmmmm....you'll have to first get past trying to double talk your way out of your statements, before you push them back on me.

DOH!!

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#476967 Sep 18, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
THE BIBLE SAYS...
2Ti_3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
And with any text, one should research it, in order to ensure its validity.

It appears that you can't accept the 2 Tim is of a later scribe - nothing to do with "Paul".

"Most modern critical scholars argue that 2 Timothy was not written by Paul but by an anonymous follower, after Paul's death in the First Century.[1][2]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_Timothy

1. New Testament Letter Structure, from Catholic Resources by Felix Just, S.J.
2. Collins, Raymond F. 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus: A Commentary. Westminster John Knox Press. 2004. p. 4 ISBN 0-664-22247-1
"By the end of the twentieth century New Testament scholarship was virtually unanimous in affirming that the Pastoral Epistles were written some time after Paul's death.... As always some scholars dissent from the consensus view."

Don't you think it is about time to do some sort of research on the texts you think are "pure".

They aren't.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#476968 Sep 18, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't sound like it read it again;
>created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
So faith and good works will be evident if we are truly a new creation in Christ. Glad we agree there. The question then arises; if we claim that salvation is a one-time, immediate event by a profession of faith, and can never be lost, how can one claim they are saved without evidence of these works?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#476969 Sep 18, 2013
Husker Du wrote:
<quoted text>You misunderstood what the Pope said. Secular media does that.
Oh I see. I misunderstood him, but you have the straight skinny on what he means?

Okay HD - lay it on me.
Human Being

Iota, LA

#476970 Sep 18, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
THE BIBLE SAYS...
2Ti_3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
confronting

Peace

All scripture is profitable, when properly understood, and applied in correct fashion.

So that is why, for instance, when one is weak in the faith, another one may concede to cultural/educational differences, until the one who is weak, may be strengthened.

So let me say, for instance, I believe your faith is weak, and that you rely on interpretation, and what you perceive through biased sources, as "the Truth", when I know your source is incorrect, I must wait, and endure patiently your arrival at being strengthened....

This of course is how you see me, and Catholics in general.

Rather, it might be better to be humble and question, in whose eye is the beam?

Peace

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope discusses climate, immigrants in historic ... (Sep '15) 8 hr USA-1 46
News Where Is the Place for Devout Gay Families in t... (Oct '15) Feb 17 True Christian wi... 49
News Vatican will finance adult stem cell research (Apr '10) Feb 12 Pessimistic1 29
News Prayers To Mother Mary 'Cured Lung Cancer' (Jan '10) Feb 11 Phart Girlishly 323
News Pope sings on CD for charity (Dec '09) Feb 11 Phart Musically 31
News Woman Knocks Over Pope Benedict XVI At Christma... (Dec '09) Feb 11 Phart Athletically 165
News Pope illuminates 'tree' via Tablet (Dec '11) Feb 11 Phart Seasonally 23
More from around the web