Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 654509 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#476081 Sep 12, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
continued
xxxxxxx
please show.... from God's word...that these inventions are sound doctrine
ROMAN CATHOLIC INVENTIONS
1. Presbyters first called priests by Lucian 2nd c.
2. Sacerdotal mass instituted by Cyprian 3rd c.
3. Prayers for the dead A.D. 300
4. Making the sign of the cross A.D. 300
5. Wax candles A.D. 320
6. Veneration of angels, dead saints, and images A.D. 375
7. Mass became a daily ritual A.D. 394
8. Beginning of exaltation of Mary, term "Mother of God"
first applied to her by Council of Ephesus A.D. 431
9. Priests began to wear special clothing A.D. 500
10. Extreme Unction (Rite of Healing) A.D. 526
11. The doctrine of Purgatory by Gregory I A.D. 593
12. Latin used in worship A.D. 600
13. Prayers offered to Mary, dead saints and angels A.D. 600
14. First man to be proclaimed Pope (Boniface III) A.D. 610
15. Kissing the Pope's feet A.D. 709
16. Temporal power of Popes, conferred by Pepon, King of the Franks A.D. 750
17. Veneration of cross, images, relics authorized A.D. 786
18. Holy water, mixed with pinch of salt, chrism, and blessed by a priest A.D.
19. Veneration of St. Joseph A.D. 890
20. College of Cardinals begun A.D. 927
21. Baptism of bells instituted by Pope John XIII A.D. 965
22. Canonization of dead saints by Pope John XV A.D. 995
23. Fasting on Fridays and Lent
GIVE BOOK CHAPTER AND VERSE PLEASE
10. extreme unction (last rites). This did NOT get introduced in 526 AD like your cult leaflet wishes people to believe.
James 5:14 "Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the Church and let them pray over him, anointing them with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer of the faith will save the sick man, and the Lord will raise him up; and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven"
250 AD Origen wrote that the penitent Christian "does not shrink from declaring his sin to a priest of the Lord and from seeking medicine of which the Apostle James says (see above verse)"

11. Purgatory: "Nothing unclean shall enter Heaven" Rev 21:27
Christ refers to a sinner who will "not be forgiven in this age or the age to come" Matt 12:32
What happens if we are not 'clean enough' to go straight to Heaven and be in the presence of God, but are not filthy enough to go to Hell? 1cor 3:15 Paul says, "he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but ONLY AS THROUGH THE FIRE".
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#476082 Sep 12, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>I thought I knew your motives, Anthony. I used to describe you as the only true Catholic here.I can trust. But I didnt survive the streets or working in prisons by being a shmuck. You are done.
Sorry you feel that way Nick. My motives regarding the Orthodox faith have always been to be fair, honest and supportive. If I happen to find an Orthodox site which valiantly defends our similar beliefs I'm going to use it. I hope that won't offend you. Take care.
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#476083 Sep 12, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>I find it very disturbing that even Christians, let alone catholics cant seem to understand that something Happened in that Upper Room to those believers.
A Spiritual Experience that was Given to those Believers who had already Given their life to Christ ,Before this event.
Proof positive that people like Marge who has been told that you receive the Filling of the Holy Ghost when you first believe,
ARE WRONG!!!!!!!!!!
Forgiveness of Sin and Salvation occur at your Initial Walk with God, but if you wish and you want, there is more for a person, who will seek the Holy Ghost. as they did.
And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
With Obedience comes the Blessing. and they obeyed and they received.
Preston

Peace

Obedience to Who?...the words of a preacher?...yielding to one's emotionalism?...,or a moment of insight?

God may be able to do more with an adult than a child when initially saved, because an adult may have had experiences in life, such as the Apostle Paul. Sudden conversions and infilling of the Holy Spirit may be quick, or slow. It depends on God and the individual, ultimately God's Will and Purpose is fulfilled.

You "seem" to want God to do things tangentially, according to how you read and understand the Bible.

On Tuesday I went to a funeral at a Bible Church, and there were two preachers that spoke. One promised not to preach, but he did. The other preached. I sometimes wonder which one you are? All were offended by the first, none by the second.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#476084 Sep 12, 2013
<quoted text>My friend,there is no reflection with the Catholics here on the forum.There is little chance for the the exchange to move in the direction of dialogue. They will not veer off the GPS and the destination is "I must come out on top in the conversation". If I cant do it legitimately, I will come on top through misquoting the other person, lies, insult, or humiliation.I try to give thought to what is said by the other person and see whatever issue through their eyes. I find that some who disagree with my views nevertheless can make just as strong a case for their view.
Greatly stated! I have spent quite a few years on this thread,and no one has ever been converted to my way of thinking.I know my limitations as a human being,but there is something I know and with deepness,The Lord Jesus will have the last W o r d,and it will be confirmed by His WORD,the Holy Scriptures,I have no doubt about that!

So if I cannot set a clear path for anyone,it will not be held to my charge,but I can at least make an effort,of which is seen by Him who knows all things.If it were up to some of the posters on here,we would have to debacle our faith,and join them in living a life of sincere UNBELIEF! It is unbelief that continues to plague us Americans,we are so educated,and sophisticated in what we have materially.

It is a real pleasure at times to run into believers who have been through HELL,and back so they can share some sobriety as to what faith really is.

I always keep my ears open to brethren and sisters from countries that persecute the saints of God.I also open my ears to the poor,and those who are disadvataged,because many of them learn how to look at life without all the trimmings.I will listen most attentively to any person who has suffered much physically,and mentally in this life as well.People who suffer learn things that they would never have known but by the cost of the flesh.

God always will teach you,especially when you are most vulnerable.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#476085 Sep 12, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text> on 8/25/82, My sins were taken away.
At least on that day, anyway--or have you not sinned since 1982
(OSAS)!!!

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#476086 Sep 12, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think "Paul" was more enlightened than Jesus?
"Paul's gospel" is not Jesus'.
(3) Jesus says:
(1) "If those who lead you say to you:‘Look, the kingdom is in the sky!’
then the birds of the sky will precede you.
(2) If they say to you:‘It is in the sea,’ then the fishes will precede you.
(3) Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and outside of you."
(4) "When you come to know yourselves, then you will be known,
and you will realize that you are the children of the living Father.
(5) But if you do not come to know yourselves, then you exist in poverty, and you are poverty."
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm
~~~

Your foolishness is not worth responding to...

for it has nothing to do with God's eternal plan of salvation..

If man could have saved himself Jesus would not have had to suffered and died...to ransom man back from the prince of this world..

You will be accountable for propagating and spreading such foolishness.

when you stand before God in judgment.

1Jn_1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

your darkness will be swallowed up in the light of the truth of God's word.

Rev_21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and

-->all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death. <--

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#476087 Sep 12, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry you feel that way Nick. My motives regarding the Orthodox faith have always been to be fair, honest and supportive. If I happen to find an Orthodox site which valiantly defends our similar beliefs I'm going to use it. I hope that won't offend you. Take care.
===

I know that you are just being "helpful".You are very transparent

1. You dont want me to take care. At least be straight up with that. You want to antagonize.If you wanted me to take care you would not antagonize.

2..You also dont hope you dont offend me. Because you know because of your purpose for posting Ortho info in the past.As you stated it was more important for me to be friends with the Protestants than to defend my church. You deliberately and intentionally wanted to offend me.

3.You claimed I was not a true Orthodox.And you tried to usurp my knowing about Orthodoxy by the fact that you have "relatives" who are Orthodox and Orthodoxy "was the church of your childhood".

So I got your number. Looking forward to your posts.I always said if I looked at a couple web sites I could be a brain surgeon. So you can be knowledgeable about Orthodoxy.

hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#476088 Sep 12, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
"Catholics will not face the truth that Mary remained not a virgin"
that's cuz if they did face it, then mary couldn't be the divine queen mother of heaven and they'd just as soon die by burning (or burn others) before they'd cease worshipping their goddess!
You "fundies" wouldn't know the TRUTH if it were "starring you in the face" which it IS, EVERY---SINGLE---DAY!!!!! And that TRUTH has, is, continues to be, and will ALWAYS remain in the TRUE Gospel of Jesus Christ, in and through HIS One (and only one) TRUE Apostolic Catholic Church!!

Location hidden

#476089 Sep 12, 2013
<quoted text>
By opening ones eyes, one can witness some very enlightening things.
:o)
You got that right.
hojo

Saint Paul, MN

#476090 Sep 12, 2013
Michael wrote:
I have yet to hear a voice or any words from God that what I post on this forum is incorrect.
I have yet to see a giant foot come out of the clouds and squash me.
Is my time coming, or am I just giving my opinion on this forum just like everyone else and the only ones listening are the posters.
I/we as Catholics ALL KNOW that your anti-catholic National Inquirer (type) sources are nothing but a hodge-podge of "editorialized opinions". You've been "found out" long ago Michael and nothing with you has changed!!!!
Dan

Omaha, NE

#476091 Sep 12, 2013
<quoted text>
Bummer for you though, with the Pope being "infallible" and you "believe the Pope teaches infallibility", it appears that you have a new belief that just showed up as of yesterday....
You get to now beleive that Atheists and non-believers get to go to heaven and witness "God's" mercy too.
:o)
I wonder how you are going to handle this? Accepting I hope.
"This isn't a new teaching."
- I've been telling you this for years. Finally the Pope can justify my words. Thank you Pope Francis.
I never said anything different. I never declared who was or wasn't going to heaven.

Silly NASL.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#476092 Sep 12, 2013
<quoted text>I thought I knew your motives, Anthony. I used to describe you as the only true Catholic here.I can trust. But I didnt survive the streets or working in prisons by being a shmuck. You are done.
I really wanted to ell you that he was a very devious person but I knew you would find him out.

You have shown to many of us that you are a "good guy", so the opinion of others doesn't mean much to us. In fact, their opinion doesn't mean ANYTHING(caps for emphasis)
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#476093 Sep 12, 2013
<quoted text>===
I know that you are just being "helpful".You are very transparent
1. You dont want me to take care. At least be straight up with that. You want to antagonize.If you wanted me to take care you would not antagonize.
2..You also dont hope you dont offend me. Because you know because of your purpose for posting Ortho info in the past.As you stated it was more important for me to be friends with the Protestants than to defend my church. You deliberately and intentionally wanted to offend me.
3.You claimed I was not a true Orthodox.And you tried to usurp my knowing about Orthodoxy by the fact that you have "relatives" who are Orthodox and Orthodoxy "was the church of your childhood".
So I got your number. Looking forward to your posts.I always said if I looked at a couple web sites I could be a brain surgeon. So you can be knowledgeable about Orthodoxy.
Sorry Nick, you're wrong about me. God as my witness, I want you to take care and I truly hope your health improves. I also have no desire to offend or antagonize. Our personalities clash I guess. As I've said, I'll use Catholic sites or Orthodox sites to defend our shared beliefs. If that offends you I'm sorry.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#476094 Sep 12, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
Your foolishness is not worth responding to...
for it has nothing to do with God's eternal plan of salvation..
If man could have saved himself Jesus would not have had to suffered and died...to ransom man back from the prince of this world..
You will be accountable for propagating and spreading such foolishness.
when you stand before God in judgment.
1Jn_1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
your darkness will be swallowed up in the light of the truth of God's word.
Rev_21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and
-->all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death. <--
his(New Age Spiritual Leader) foolishness is why I pay no attention to him.

an honest debate I would answer but I consider him on the same plane as I do Robert. Neither worth really talking to.

Location hidden

#476095 Sep 12, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>I really wanted to ell you that he was a very devious person but I knew you would find him out.
You have shown to many of us that you are a "good guy", so the opinion of others doesn't mean much to us. In fact, their opinion doesn't mean ANYTHING(caps for emphasis)
Thanks.Appreciated very much.

Location hidden

#476096 Sep 12, 2013
The Lord's supper commemorates Jesus' last meal with his disciples. The wine is His blood. The bread is His body. So say the Catholics...

It wasn't always so!!!!! At least some first century Christians celebrated the Eucharist without remembering the meal Jesus shared, and without equating the wine with his blood or the bread with his body. In fact, they celebrated the Eucharist without even mentioning Jesus' saving death..

The Didache is a handbook of instructions first century Christians used away back before the New Testament was a twinkle in Bishop Athanasius' eye.

Chapters 9 and 10 of the Didache told newly baptized Christians about the Eucharist—step by step how to celebrate the Eucharist. What to do. What to say.

Chapter 9. The Eucharist. Now concerning the Eucharist, give thanks as follows.

(2) First, concerning the cup:
We give you thanks, our Father,
for the holy vine of David your servant,
which you have made known to us
through Jesus your servant,
to you be the glory forever.

(3) And concerning the broken bread:
We give you thanks, our Father,
for the life and knowledge you have made known to us through Jesus, your servant;
to you be the glory forever.

Didache, Chapters 9 (1st century AD),—which you can find in: Holmes, Michael. The Apostolic Fathers: Greek Texts and English Translations (1999), pg. 259 - 263

Notice that when the Didache-using-Christians celebrated the Eucharist they equated the wine with the holy vine of David not with Jesus' blood. And the bread with the life and knowledge made known through Jesus—not with Jesus' body.

Also note...it makes no reference to Catholics nor Roman Catholic Church!!!!

In chapters 9 and 10, the body and blood of Jesus never comes up nor His saving death.

In the first century, way back at the founding of the faith, there were Christians who did not link the Eucharist with the story about Jesus' last supper with His disciples.

Location hidden

#476097 Sep 12, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
You "fundies" wouldn't know the TRUTH if it were "starring you in the face" which it IS, EVERY---SINGLE---DAY!!!!! And that TRUTH has, is, continues to be, and will ALWAYS remain in the TRUE Gospel of Jesus Christ, in and through HIS One (and only one) TRUE Apostolic Catholic Church!!
Love it!!!!! Stay the course....Tell the world your pope is a bald-face liar!!!!

The NABre pope approved Catlick bible says "church" is from the word (Greek ekkl&#275;sia) occurs in the gospels only here and in Mt 18:17 (twice). Jesus’ church means the community that he will gather and that, like a building, will have Peter as its solid foundation. That function of Peter consists in his being witness to Jesus as the Messiah, the Son of the living God.

It don't say sumptin' bout no TRUE Apostolic Catholic Church!!

Location hidden

#476098 Sep 12, 2013
The Vatican is ready to open a discussion about whether Catholic priests should be required to remain celibate, the Vatican's newly appointed secretary of state said in an interview with a Venezuelan newspaper.

Question to catlicks....If that requirement is supported by Scripture, and the Word of God does not change, how, then, can they make a change in this requirement and claim it is also supported by Scripture????!!!!
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#476099 Sep 12, 2013
<quoted text>My friend,there is no reflection with the Catholics here on the forum.There is little chance for the the exchange to move in the direction of dialogue. They will not veer off the GPS and the destination is "I must come out on top in the conversation". If I cant do it legitimately, I will come on top through misquoting the other person, lies, insult, or humiliation.I try to give thought to what is said by the other person and see whatever issue through their eyes. I find that some who disagree with my views nevertheless can make just as strong a case for their view.
Hermenuetics:

Are you sure?

You are encapsulating a group of people into "they", and then thinking for them....

I see this going on to some degree in a lot of posts, and it should be left as a possible, not a concrete idea.

I consider myself a rather "oddball" Catholic. Lol, and I know a lot of others think of me that way too. I have difficulty speaking with die hard cradle Catholics, but at ease and comfortable with priests, on the most complex of topics.

A lot of it, I think comes down to world-view. Also, it is one's directness to God.

Postulate: If God knows our soul more intimately than we know it, then having a common mode outside that knowledge of God is at best indirect.(Logic, reason, faith, and hope, are less effective than God's Love.) So it stands to reason that connecting one's beliefs to another's beliefs is at best common.
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#476100 Sep 12, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Greatly stated! I have spent quite a few years on this thread,and no one has ever been converted to my way of thinking.I know my limitations as a human being,but there is something I know and with deepness,The Lord Jesus will have the last W o r d,and it will be confirmed by His WORD,the Holy Scriptures,I have no doubt about that!
So if I cannot set a clear path for anyone,it will not be held to my charge,but I can at least make an effort,of which is seen by Him who knows all things.If it were up to some of the posters on here,we would have to debacle our faith,and join them in living a life of sincere UNBELIEF! It is unbelief that continues to plague us Americans,we are so educated,and sophisticated in what we have materially.
It is a real pleasure at times to run into believers who have been through HELL,and back so they can share some sobriety as to what faith really is.
I always keep my ears open to brethren and sisters from countries that persecute the saints of God.I also open my ears to the poor,and those who are disadvataged,because many of them learn how to look at life without all the trimmings.I will listen most attentively to any person who has suffered much physically,and mentally in this life as well.People who suffer learn things that they would never have known but by the cost of the flesh.
God always will teach you,especially when you are most vulnerable.
Pad

Peace

Good observation, direction, and instinct. Its a pleasure to see your honesty.

But don't put the onus on yourself. God puts us in the right place and time to be effective in His Will. We are just to be ready, to think, and act.

In the non-RC world of Christianity, since the rise of Protestantism, the emphasis has been on being saved by faith. Rather it is the Grace of God, in His Mercy, by His Love, which continues through eternity.

It just seems the schism got it wrong on both sides. So, being an outcast from the traditional arguments for me is rather a pleasant place..., more like heaven.

Peace

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 7 hr Married in 10,210
News Pope Francis wades into transgender debate, lam... Aug 24 South Knox Hombre 2
News Pope Francis' Remarks Disappoint Gay and Transg... Aug 4 Leon 2
News The Pope s War Aug 2 The Proclaimer 1
News Franklin Graham rebuts pope on Islam: - This is... Aug 1 Bob 1
News Pope Francis: 'Trump is not Christian' (Feb '16) Jul '16 make Donald Drump... 47
News Holding the left responsible (Sep '15) Jul '16 Crusader 4
More from around the web