Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 599929 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#475839 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
KNIT and pray ..I said I know,exactly what it is ...I can speak for myself ..And I said I grew up Catholic
That was,NOT the point ...of the post ..the appearance of idolatry ..was,
Rose. It does not matter what you say- how intelligent, how researched, how truthful, how sincere, how accurate, how common sense. Those who are posting these comments to you will say anything to come out "on top". For example- "you may have been Cath but you were stupid to understand". Or, another favorite is "you never were Catholic. You are lying" Or " you werent a "true Catholic. Or "you werent a "mainstream Catholic".I have been " slimed" the same way by these people.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#475840 Sep 11, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
RoSesz
In our parish today, a "Blue" Mass was said for the victims(living and dead) on 9/11.
I think the difficulties for the U.S., since that time have weighed upon the nation, and maybe in another generation or two, a more historical view will have taken place. At the present, the U.S., may be coming to understand that it cannot dictate to the world.
wHAT IS A BLUE MASS.
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#475841 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm well I hope they mentioned the embassy dead a year ago ..when we were told their deaths were because of a stupid video ..And not terrorism planned for 911
Bikers,going to Washington for patriotic reasons denied permits..Muslims marching today got permits ..
This country is backwards ..no prayer at the memorial takes the cake and has for a couple of years now
But hey..it's only our prayers not welcome ...
Has nothing to do EITH US ring the world..this is,internal..
tHAT SHOULD NOT STOP CHRISTIANS FROM WALKING AROUND THE WHITE HOUSE AND PRAY FOR THE U.S.A. EVERY CHRISTIAN THAT SITS IN SILENCE AND DOES NOTHING FORGETS WHO THEY ARE IN CHRISTIAN.
YOU DON'T NEED PERMISSION FOR A MAN WHEN GOD SAYS TO PRAY , THEN PRAY IF GOD IS FOR YOU WHO CAN BE AGAINST YOU.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#475842 Sep 11, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You know so little about the Catholic faith... then when we try and explain it, you reject it anyway. Evidently you attended a Catholic grade school 50 yrs ago, so you know all about us.. Well, this thread is filled with supposed former Catholics who seem to know all about the Church.
I know and remember what I learned for the 10 years,of schooling yes..
And about 6 years after at Church .

So yes,I do know ...of course you all keep changing things ...well hey change is good..this country sure has ...

What I do not understand is the polls of Catholics and their votes .

Was reading about this ...And despite the CHURCH ACTUALKY coming out AGSINST pro choice candidates,about half of Catholics voted for them .

That floored me ..really ...

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475845 Sep 11, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Rose. It does not matter what you say- how intelligent, how researched, how truthful, how sincere, how accurate, how common sense. Those who are posting these comments to you will say anything to come out "on top". For example- "you may have been Cath but you were stupid to understand". Or, another favorite is "you never were Catholic. You are lying" Or " you werent a "true Catholic. Or "you werent a "mainstream Catholic".I have been " slimed" the same way by these people.

The thing that annoys,me most is being told,I did not learn something ..I did ..I know,what it was,..And your correct ..even in writing ..some don't BELIEVE anything was ever different than what they know,now ..even people who should remember deny what they learned,..

Maybe it's,selective amnesia ..

Anyway I posted this,before with a,prayer ...still makes me cry

http://m.youtube.com/watch...

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475847 Sep 11, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
tHAT SHOULD NOT STOP CHRISTIANS FROM WALKING AROUND THE WHITE HOUSE AND PRAY FOR THE U.S.A. EVERY CHRISTIAN THAT SITS IN SILENCE AND DOES NOTHING FORGETS WHO THEY ARE IN CHRISTIAN.
YOU DON'T NEED PERMISSION FOR A MAN WHEN GOD SAYS TO PRAY , THEN PRAY IF GOD IS FOR YOU WHO CAN BE AGAINST YOU.
Oh it appears,they rode any way ..the,police helped them ..

GOD,BLESS THEM .

I POSTED A THREAD and my prayer on eAch board,I go on .

We,have to speak out or lose,our voice ...this,place we are in now,where,Christians,and Jews have no voice in the public is awful..

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/09/11/2-million...
Dan

Omaha, NE

#475848 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok fine ..I'm saying that people who know the commandments ..see carrying a statue down a street while people bow and make the sign of the Cross ..as idolatry ..And think the commandments are not being followed ..it appears to be idolatry .
Crowning the Stsue appears the same ..And as a young kid I was of a mind that our grotto was a place Mary was ....
People who "know the commandments" also presumably "know" what a statue is.

People who don't bother to "know" what other people believe and adjudge the proceedings they may witness as having the "appearance of idolatry" are called "ignorant".

Should you and I tailor our religious practice to accommodate those who will not take the time to try to understand what we're doing and want to judge us-tailor our belief and practice to appease the sensibility of the willfully ignorant?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#475850 Sep 11, 2013
<quoted text>Rose. It does not matter what you say- how intelligent, how researched, how truthful, how sincere, how accurate, how common sense. Those who are posting these comments to you will say anything to come out "on top". For example- "you may have been Cath but you were stupid to understand". Or, another favorite is "you never were Catholic. You are lying" Or " you werent a "true Catholic. Or "you werent a "mainstream Catholic".I have been " slimed" the same way by these people.
Rose isn't giving us anything terribly intelligent nor researched here, Herm.

Her basic take is "I know it's not idolatry, but what will the neighbors think?", as if that's some ecclesial goal to be served.

She places the onus on Catholics to not do something because her protestant brothers and sisters (not HER, of course, but others) may find it unseemly.

Don't watch us if it bugs you.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#475851 Sep 11, 2013
I wonder how she'd react if she saw Orthodox Christians as they venerated icons. Perhaps you'd try to tell her that while you're kissing the icon and signing yourself that you're not worshipping it, even though to her it would APPEAR you are. Or perhaps you'd not say a word and let her continue in her ignorance.
Clay

Chicago, IL

#475852 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I know and remember what I learned for the 10 years,of schooling yes..
And about 6 years after at Church .
So yes,I do know ...of course you all keep changing things ...well hey change is good..this country sure has ...
What I do not understand is the polls of Catholics and their votes .
Was reading about this ...And despite the CHURCH ACTUALKY coming out AGSINST pro choice candidates,about half of Catholics voted for them .
That floored me ..really ...
Why does that floor you? The Catholic Church isn't dictated by polls. All Catholics are 'technically free' to believe and vote how they wish. People have their own conscience and the Church can't really see into that... They can only proclaim the truth and hope the person understands.
No person who is pro choice can really be a serious Catholic anyway. That pretty much nulls you out of Christianity if you're for abortion..
Dan

Omaha, NE

#475853 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
There were no scriptures for people to read because the Church kept them in languages no one COULD read only for the priests to disseminate knowledge
And the CHURCH resisted when bibles,were had by the people at last ..
I know you all deny it..the burnings and persecution.
Actual bible study was,not even a,part of your religion until recent decades ...Catechism was and probably still is more important ...
And you are,not a cradle Catholic ..I was ..
Scripture could have been transcribed in big letters in common language on Big Chief Tablets with Husky pencils in thousands of copies and they would have gone largely unread, as the great majority were illiterate.

The entirety of Catholic liturgy is based on scripture. We read the entire Bible at Mass in a repeating cycle.

Any of this ringing any bells with you?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#475854 Sep 11, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
wHAT IS A BLUE MASS.
Mass held for police, usually at the start of National Police week.

Their uniforms are typically blue, hence "blue Mass".
Human Being

Kinder, LA

#475855 Sep 11, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
wHAT IS A BLUE MASS.
LTM

Peace

It was just a name given as a special intention for a regular Mass.

Often people ask for a Mass be given for loved ones.

The word Blue was given for those who served as first responders....

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#475856 Sep 11, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture could have been transcribed in big letters in common language on Big Chief Tablets with Husky pencils in thousands of copies and they would have gone largely unread, as the great majority were illiterate.
The entirety of Catholic liturgy is based on scripture. We read the entire Bible at Mass in a repeating cycle.
Any of this ringing any bells with you?
Yes Dan ..But bible study is,important as Your church has now discovered ..reading the word not just nuggets each day that were in the missals ..I've talked to Catholics who act like you discovered this method of learning the word ..other older Catholics ..Not so much acceptance ...

But there are still a few around wanting the Mass back in Latin .

I learned a lot of the bible stories in school ..But for those not in Catholic schools ..the OT they were not familiar with as a love letter from the Creator to His Chosen and their history ...
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#475857 Sep 11, 2013
tHE ICONS IN YOUR CHURCH IS AN IDOL.
MARY IS AN ICON THE STATUES OF SAINTS ARE ICONS.
AN ICON IS AN IDOL.
When Anything or Anybody Gets What God Alone Deserves
Ex 20:3-4 (NIV) "You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below."

DO YOU NOT HAVE STATUES OF MARY AND JESUS IN YOUR CHURCH?? ARE THEY NOT IN HEAVEN?? THESE ARE IDOLS.
SURELY YOUR NOT THAT THICK TO NOT BEABLE TO UNDERSTAND THESE SCRIPTURES.

God destroys idols; He is the great iconoclast. Even good things can become idols, and while reveling and boasting seem good at the time, it is a grave disservice to idolize anything or anybody. The result is God's wrath, on you and the idol. God will not be eclipsed.
2 Ki 18:3-4 (Amp) Hezekiah did right in the sight of the Lord... He broke in pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made, for until then the Israelites had burned incense to it; but he called it Nehushtan [a brazen trifle].

James 4:5 (Jer) Surely you don't think the Scripture is wrong when it says: the spirit which He sent to live in us wants us for himself alone?

The Lust For Idols--A Matter of The Heart
James 4:3-4 (Phi) You don't get what you want because you don't ask God for it. And when you do ask he doesn't give it to you, for you ask in quite the wrong spirit--you only want to satisfy your own desires. You are like unfaithful wives, never realizing that to be the world's lover means becoming the enemy of God! Anyone who chooses to be the world's friend is thereby making himself God's enemy.

Col 3:5-6 (Jer) That is why you must kill everything in you that belongs only to earthly life: fornication, impurity, guilty passion, evil desires and especially greed, which is the same thing as worshipping a false god. All this sort of behavior makes God angry.(Eph 5:5)

Eze 6:8-9 (NIV) "...How I have been grieved by their adulterous hearts, which have turned away from me, and by their eyes, which have lusted after their idols. They will loathe themselves for the evil they have done and for all their detestable practices."

Deut 29:18 (NIV) Make sure there is no man or woman, clan or tribe among you today whose heart turns away from the Lord our God to go and worship the gods of those nations; make sure there is no root among you that produces such bitter poison.(See also through verse 29.)

But Everyone Else Is Doing It...
2 Ki 17:15 (NIV) They rejected his decrees and the covenant he had made with their fathers and the warnings he had given them. They followed worthless idols and themselves became worthless. They imitated the nations around them although the Lord had ordered them, "Do not do as they do," and they did the things the Lord had forbidden them to do.

2 Ki 17:40-41 (NIV) They would not listen, however, but persisted in their former practices. Even while these people were worshipping the Lord, they were serving their idols. To this day their children and grandchildren continue to do as their fathers did.

1 Cor 10:7 (NIV) Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written: "The people sat down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in pagan revelry."
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

#475858 Sep 11, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
LTM
Peace
It was just a name given as a special intention for a regular Mass.
Often people ask for a Mass be given for loved ones.
The word Blue was given for those who served as first responders....
Thank you, that is the first time I heard that.
Its hard to believe that it has been 12 years since 9-11.
It still hurts the heart, I can't get the image of people jumping out of the Trade Centre windows.
I think often of the people who died, to save others, when they sent the plane into the ground.
The courage it took to make that decision.
The people who called their families and loved ones to say goodbye and to tell them what they were doing and they were prepared to die.
I watch the services every year and look at the faces of the loved ones left behind, the kids that have grown up now talking about a father, mother, or a loved one some have never really got to know.
I cry still for them all

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#475859 Sep 11, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Your concept of God is from men too. So if I believe your concept, it will still be men believing men.
Men men men la menly men men. Do dah do wap . Menly men men.
Do it to a Rush tune though. Lol
We already know this.

But the difference is - I don't promote lies fabricated by men to uphold the lie. I'm honest enough to admit that "I don't know what comes next."

You, like others, on the other hand, emphatically "know" what will happen to you. You and others are lying. Faith and hope are your friends - generated by Self - to arrive at this "knowing".

Honesty will dictate that you don't "know" diddly squat, thus making you just like any other human - Agnostic or Atheist.

You chose a belief system for comfort. I could care less about any organized belief system, because in a nutshell, they all teach the same results - just with different stories.

Doing research will give you this information, just as it has for me and others.

Albuquerque, NM

#475860 Sep 11, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
And I don't lie ..why would I about what religion I was in as a child ..That is insulting
Yes you do.

a. You claim to believe in all of what Jesus taught, but you don't with the GoThomas.

Shall I continue, or are you going to deny this also?
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#475861 Sep 11, 2013
LTM wrote:
tHE ICONS IN YOUR CHURCH IS AN IDOL.
MARY IS AN ICON THE STATUES OF SAINTS ARE ICONS.
AN ICON IS AN IDOL.
When Anything or Anybody Gets What God Alone Deserves
Ex 20:3-4 (NIV) "You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below."
DO YOU NOT HAVE STATUES OF MARY AND JESUS IN YOUR CHURCH?? ARE THEY NOT IN HEAVEN?? THESE ARE IDOLS.
SURELY YOUR NOT THAT THICK TO NOT BEABLE TO UNDERSTAND THESE SCRIPTURES.
God destroys idols; He is the great iconoclast. Even good things can become idols, and while reveling and boasting seem good at the time, it is a grave disservice to idolize anything or anybody. The result is God's wrath, on you and the idol. God will not be eclipsed.
2 Ki 18:3-4 (Amp) Hezekiah did right in the sight of the Lord... He broke in pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made, for until then the Israelites had burned incense to it; but he called it Nehushtan [a brazen trifle].
James 4:5 (Jer) Surely you don't think the Scripture is wrong when it says: the spirit which He sent to live in us wants us for himself alone?
The Lust For Idols--A Matter of The Heart
James 4:3-4 (Phi) You don't get what you want because you don't ask God for it. And when you do ask he doesn't give it to you, for you ask in quite the wrong spirit--you only want to satisfy your own desires. You are like unfaithful wives, never realizing that to be the world's lover means becoming the enemy of God! Anyone who chooses to be the world's friend is thereby making himself God's enemy.
Col 3:5-6 (Jer) That is why you must kill everything in you that belongs only to earthly life: fornication, impurity, guilty passion, evil desires and especially greed, which is the same thing as worshipping a false god. All this sort of behavior makes God angry.(Eph 5:5)
Eze 6:8-9 (NIV) "...How I have been grieved by their adulterous hearts, which have turned away from me, and by their eyes, which have lusted after their idols. They will loathe themselves for the evil they have done and for all their detestable practices."
Deut 29:18 (NIV) Make sure there is no man or woman, clan or tribe among you today whose heart turns away from the Lord our God to go and worship the gods of those nations; make sure there is no root among you that produces such bitter poison.(See also through verse 29.)
But Everyone Else Is Doing It...
2 Ki 17:15 (NIV) They rejected his decrees and the covenant he had made with their fathers and the warnings he had given them. They followed worthless idols and themselves became worthless. They imitated the nations around them although the Lord had ordered them, "Do not do as they do," and they did the things the Lord had forbidden them to do.
2 Ki 17:40-41 (NIV) They would not listen, however, but persisted in their former practices. Even while these people were worshipping the Lord, they were serving their idols. To this day their children and grandchildren continue to do as their fathers did.
1 Cor 10:7 (NIV) Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written: "The people sat down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in pagan revelry."
One of the better explanations of the veneration of icons (applicable to statues as well) I've found anywhere on the Internet. Yes Hermi, it's from an Orthodox site.

http://orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/icon_bowing...

Albuquerque, NM

#475862 Sep 11, 2013
LTM wrote:
No Christian is perfect, but making a mistake and failing to reach perfection in this life is not the same thing as being a hypocrite.
I understand your point.

Then why are you a hypocrite when you say you believe Jesus, but refuse to accept the Gospel of Thomas?

Or are you not a hypocrite, but a follower of what men dictated for you to believe?

These conundrums are hard to reconcile.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory 1 hr Paul Porter1 278
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 9 hr Mr_SKY 84,331
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Jul 28 Gee Tee 9,601
News Hispanics energized by Argentinian pope's first... Jul 27 tomin cali 1
News Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... (Mar '14) Jul 26 pazuzu 91
News Pope previews long-awaited climate letter Jul 25 pazuzu 14
News Poll: US views of Francis dim; a plunge in appr... Jul 24 Bug Spray 20
More from around the web