Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 665445 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Human Being

Sunset, LA

#476044 Sep 12, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
JESUS SAID
Joh_6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
confronting with the word:

Peace

Yes. This is the verse. I was wondering though the word, "draw", has two "flavors" to it.

So I wanted to bring out the richer meaning of the word in greek, "helkuo"....We tend to think of it in a more poetic sense, as in drawing water from a well. This is of course true. But there is also a much rougher sense of the word, and that would be, to be dragged.

So in a sense this rather simple verse you have given has a very complex meaning with the word "helkuo" in it....

It is nice to contemplate this verse.....

Peace

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#476045 Sep 12, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
So! Do catholics just carry on or do they embrace the Pope's statement?
If Catholics believe the Pope is Gods representative on earth, its obvious catholics are in a catch 22.
It is quite the conundrum to go from believing that one is "part of the true church", and then receive a new belief - to believe that non-believers will make it too heaven just like believers.

Let the awakening begin!!

WHEW-WHEW!! Here we go - and it is going to be a wonderful ride. You best hold onto your hat - because it will get bumpy!

:o)

Location hidden

#476046 Sep 12, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
JESUS SAID
Joh_6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
I find it very disturbing that even Christians, let alone catholics cant seem to understand that something Happened in that Upper Room to those believers.

A Spiritual Experience that was Given to those Believers who had already Given their life to Christ ,Before this event.

Proof positive that people like Marge who has been told that you receive the Filling of the Holy Ghost when you first believe,

ARE WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

Forgiveness of Sin and Salvation occur at your Initial Walk with God, but if you wish and you want, there is more for a person, who will seek the Holy Ghost. as they did.

And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

With Obedience comes the Blessing. and they obeyed and they received.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#476047 Sep 12, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go again....insisting taht I live by what Jesus taught, as I already do, but yet you post everyone BESIDES Jesus to promote it.
You are confused. Too much wine can cause dizziness and delusion, huh?
Why don't you first do what you are asking me to do?- "Show us by example that you live what Jesus taught"
a. I've post just one teaching by Jesus, that I know you haven't done. And I can post others.
Don't be stupid GiF, you really aren't that special, but only in your own eyes. That would be arrogance and ego.
Get over yourself.
~~~
You have posted what (you say) supposed to be the account of Thomas

alleging that it is the authentic...account of the words of Jesus..

Some where you have missed the fact...

that in order to establish/validate/give credibility to any doctrine in the BIBLE

there must be two or more witnesses...TO ESTABLISH A TRUTH

in God's word....

Your book of THOMAS...IS ONLY ONE WITNESS...

THE NEW TESTAMENT PROVIDES TWO WITNESSES THAT WERE WITH JESUS...

THEY ARE MATTHEW AND JOHN...THAT GIVE FIRST HAND ACCOUNTS OF WHAT JESUS BOTH SAID AND DID...

Example
The scripture that the Roman Catholic Church uses for the foundation/BASIS of their conjecture...THEIR POPE ...Mathew 16:17-20...can only be found written ONCE in the Bible.

( and they have edited it TO MAKE IT SAY WHAT THEY WANT IT TO..)

THEY CANNOT PRODUCE A WITNESS TO ESTABLISH A CREDIBLE DOCTRINE

FOR WHAT THEY TEACH.

THERE IS NO CORRESPONDING SCRIPTURE NOR ACTION IN THE OLD OR

NEW TESTAMENT, TO CROSS REFERENCE CO-RELATE...VALIDATE OR OTHERWISE ESTABLISH what they teach..

NOT ON THAT...THEY HAVE HAD TO RE-WRITE/EDIT... PARTS OF THE SCRIPTURE

TO ASSUME THEIR FABLES INT IT.

SUCH AS DENYING THE FAMILY.... OF AT LEAST SEVEN OF MARY AND JOSEPH...

YET THERE ARE CORRESPONDING SCRIPTURES TO PROVE/ VALIDATE THEIR FAMILY...

~~~

Jesus established witnesses...

for he said...

Act 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and

-->ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

GOD ALWAYS REQUIRES WITNESSES..

IN
Deu_17:6 At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.

NOTE...
Deu_19:15 -->One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth:

at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established. <--

IN REVELATION

Rev_11:3 And I will give power unto==> my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

Location hidden

#476048 Sep 12, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
atemcowboy says......No Christian has to wonder, they KNOW.
Michael says......WOW! by chance being born into a christian family gives you a leg up on everyone else who isn't. How lucky are you.
If you are saved, God would have told you by now. Nothing yet eh?
My mom got Saved when she was just 13. my dad later but he was a backslidden Preacher.

while me? I was a sinner and a good one, and I was Lost. I needed a Savior, and my family couldn't help me, I needed Jesus and at an altar of Prayer on 8/25/82, My sins were taken away.
Clay

Lawrence, MA

#476049 Sep 12, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>I am not afraid to be truthful, unlike your catholic leaders.
You think men read the Bible, then formed the Catholic religion.. No wonder you're confused.

Location hidden

#476050 Sep 12, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>the Born Again Experience .
DRAWING OF THE HOLY GHOST TO JESUS, AND THEN THROUGH JESUS TO HIS FATHER.
VERY SIMPLE TO UNDERSTAND.
AND THAT IS THE ONLY WAY.
You can tell a man called of God a mile away!!!!! Wow!!!!

IV. Salvation

Salvation involves the redemption of the whole man, and is offered freely to all who accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, who by His own blood obtained eternal redemption for the believer. In its broadest sense salvation includes regeneration, justification, sanctification, and glorification. There is no salvation apart from personal faith in Jesus Christ as Lord.

A. Regeneration, or the new birth, is a work of God's grace whereby believers become new creatures in Christ Jesus. It is a change of heart wrought by the Holy Spirit through conviction of sin, to which the sinner responds in repentance toward God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Repentance and faith are inseparable experiences of grace.

Repentance is a genuine turning from sin toward God. Faith is the acceptance of Jesus Christ and commitment of the entire personality to Him as Lord and Saviour.

B. Justification is God's gracious and full acquittal upon principles of His righteousness of all sinners who repent and believe in Christ. Justification brings the believer unto a relationship of peace and favor with God.

C. Sanctification is the experience, beginning in regeneration, by which the believer is set apart to God's purposes, and is enabled to progress toward moral and spiritual maturity through the presence and power of the Holy Spirit dwelling in him. Growth in grace should continue throughout the regenerate person's life.

D. Glorification is the culmination of salvation and is the final blessed and abiding state of the redeemed.

Genesis 3:15; Exodus 3:14-17; 6:2-8; Matthew 1:21; 4:17; 16:21-26; 27:22-28:6; Luke 1:68-69; 2:28-32; John 1:11-14,29; 3:3-21,36; 5:24; 10:9,28-29; 15:1-16; 17:17; Acts 2:21; 4:12; 15:11; 16:30-31; 17:30-31; 20:32; Romans 1:16-18; 2:4; 3:23-25; 4:3ff.; 5:8-10; 6:1-23; 8:1-18,29-39; 10:9-10,13; 13:11-14; 1 Corinthians 1:18,30; 6:19-20; 15:10; 2 Corinthians 5:17-20; Galatians 2:20; 3:13; 5:22-25; 6:15; Ephesians 1:7; 2:8-22; 4:11-16; Philippians 2:12-13; Colossians 1:9-22; 3:1ff.; 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24; 2 Timothy 1:12; Titus 2:11-14; Hebrews 2:1-3; 5:8-9; 9:24-28; 11:1-12:8,14; James 2:14-26; 1 Peter 1:2-23; 1 John 1:6-2:11; Revelation 3:20; 21:1-22:5.

Location hidden

#476051 Sep 12, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to assume you think the Ark of the Covenant ended up as a coffee table somewhere, then sold at a garage sale. It wasn't Holy to the Jews, it was just a silly container that was eventually disposed of after it served its purpose?
the staves were pulled out of the Ark and it rested. it wasn't replaced by Mary and this is foolishness on the part of some catholic to Spiritualize mary in this way. she is dead and she has entered into her rest.

Albuquerque, NM

#476052 Sep 12, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
If Catholics believe the Pope is Gods representative on earth, its obvious catholics are in a catch 22.
Since Pope Francis had already had his hands slapped once....

"The Rev. Thomas Rosica, a Vatican spokesman, said in what was described as an “explanatory note” that those who know about the Catholic Church “cannot be saved [if they] refuse to enter her or remain in her,” United Press International reported."
Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/...

....I wonder if they will reinforce their "explanatory" statement.

The Vatican = always needing a qualifier to justify their own unfounded dogma.

Location hidden

#476053 Sep 12, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholic Church does not "force people" into the Church to become Catholic.......New Converts to the Catholic Faith are leaving their bible only Protestant Churches by the thousands, and are "freely" coming to the FULLNESS of the TRUTH and the FULLNESS of the FAITH in Jesus Christ (in and through) HIS (historically and biblically PROVEN) One TRUE Apostolic Catholic Church. The Catholic Church continues to be the ONLY CHURCH that grows "each and every year" by 1.5% per year and their is "good reason"! The TRUTH of the TRUE FAITH continues to "teach the TRUTH" as it has for over 2000 years since Jesus HIMSELF initiated and established HIS One True Catholic Church!!
Dream on......

Catholics in crisis
Reeling from sex-abuse scandals, the Roman Catholic Church is losing members in droves. Can it stem the decline?
By The Week Staff | April 30, 2010

How severe is the crisis?

It’s “the largest institutional crisis in centuries, possibly in church history,” says the National Catholic Reporter. Worldwide, the Roman Catholic Church now has 1.1 billion members, compared with 1.5 billion Muslims and 593 million Protestants. In the U.S., all the major denominations have seen their numbers decline in recent years, but the Catholic Church has taken the biggest hit. Since the 1960s, four American-born Catholics have left the church for every one who has converted, according to a 2009 Pew study. In 2008 alone, Catholic membership declined by 400,000. More than 1,000 parishes have closed since 1995, and the number of priests has fallen from about 49,000 to 40,000 during that same period. Some 3,400 Catholic parishes in the U.S. now lack a resident priest.“Catholicism is in decline across America,” says sociologist David Carlin.

What about in Europe?
The situation there is even more dire, especially in the most historically devout countries. In 1991, 84 percent of the Irish population attended Mass at least once a week. Today the weekly attendance figure is less than 50 percent. In Spain, 81 percent of the population identifies itself as Catholic, but two-thirds say they seldom or never attend services. And the priest shortage is acute—in England and Wales, the church ordained only 16 clergy members in all of 2009.

What sparked this decline?
Its roots actually trace back to the 1960s, when a split developed over the reforms introduced by Pope John XXIII. Dismayed by the pope’s calls for more participation by laypeople in church affairs, many tradition-minded bishops and cardinals defended the centrality of Rome and frowned on the social activism of priests that was unleashed by the reforms, known as Vatican II. After Pope John’s death, in 1963, the traditionalists increased their power within the Vatican, culminating with the elevation of John Paul II to the papacy, in 1978. He undid many of his predecessor’s reforms, and millions of liberal Catholics drifted away, fed up with what they saw as Vatican authoritarianism as well as its unstinting opposition to abortion and artificial contraception.

continued..

Location hidden

#476055 Sep 12, 2013
Have the sex scandals hurt?
They’ve only accelerated the decline. In the mid-1990s, when the first wave of abuse charges surfaced, church attendance in the U.S. dropped, leveling off at around 35 percent of self-described Catholics. The new wave of scandals has perhaps struck an even deeper nerve, since it involves higher-level authorities—including Pope Benedict XVI himself—allegedly covering up abuses by allowing known pedophiles to continue to serve as priests and, in many cases, work with children. In Latin America, the church has been rocked by abuse scandals in Mexico and Brazil, even as it tries to stanch the flow of defectors to evangelical Protestant churches. In Germany, more than 1,200 people in just one city, Würzburg, quit the church in March, following a cascade of reports of sexual abuse and sadistic punishment of children in Catholic schools. In Ireland, government reports detailing decades of “endemic” abuse by clerics have turned many young people away from the church.“How can you believe in religion with all this going on?” asks Dubliner Adam Cunningham, 18.

Are there any bright spots?
Yes—Africa and Asia. The African church has grown from 55 million in 1978 to 150 million today.“The church has provided, in many cases, the voice that stands on behalf of the voiceless,” says the Rev. Emmanuel Katongole, a leader in the Ugandan church. In Asia, church membership increased 80 percent since 1978, while the number of priests rose 74 percent. In fact, Africa and Asia now supply priests to the rest of the world, with about 300 coming to U.S. parishes every year. But the church faces problems in the developing world, too. Evangelical Protestantism is making inroads, and many African priests live openly with wives and children, in defiance of the Vatican’s celibacy requirement.

Can the church reverse its slide?
Catholics of all stripes say yes, though many believe any revival would come from the bottom up. A growing movement in the U.S. is trying to re-establish the local parish—rather than Rome—as the center of Catholic life. In Renewing Parish Culture, Jesuit priest John Pideret argues that greater participation by women—who are barred from the priesthood—may be the key to a comeback. Looking back at the U.S. church in the 19th century, he says that with a greater role in parish life, nuns “made deft dynamic adjustments, recruited effectively, exercised financial realism, and promoted growth and competition.” Historian and journalist Garry Wills, a devout Catholic, also sees the church’s salvation coming from the pews.“The church is the people of God,” he says.“It’s the hierarchy that’s out of touch with the people of God, and they’ve got to get back in touch.”

Addition by subtraction
Not every Catholic is troubled by the church’s dwindling membership. According to some conservative priests and thinkers, the sex scandals and conflicts with the Vatican have shaken out the fair-weather believers. The conservatives want a return to the Latin Mass and an end to challenges to the Vatican’s authority. A return to tradition would likely result in “a smaller but much more fervent and evangelizing church,” says the Rev. John McCloskey, a former Wall Street executive who’s an outspoken advocate of the traditionalist movement. The shrinkage would be only temporary, he says, since as liberals left the church, it would be strengthened by the core of tradition-minded Catholics who obey the church’s ban on contraceptives and rear large families. Such families would inevitably produce more sons, some of whom would enter the priesthood. Thanks to a conservative renaissance, says McCloskey,“the church in America may well be on the cusp of a more vibrant era.”

Location hidden

#476056 Sep 12, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You think men read the Bible, then formed the Catholic religion.. No wonder you're confused.
confused. it is catholics that are CONFUSED by all of the lies that they have been told.

Mary needed a savior, wasn't perfect as she left this Child back in Jerusalem, something that if it happened today would place her in prison most likely.

so who is confused about your irreligious beliefs. lol.

when I say something, I can back it up with the Bible.

catholics CANT!!!!!!!

Albuquerque, NM

#476057 Sep 12, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah - I just thought of all those "staunch Catholics" here on the board, I'm envisioning that they won't be abiding by the Pope.

IMO - they will probably continue to object to EVERYONE who doesn't believe as they will not be "in heaven", even though it plainly goes against their supposed involvement with the so-called "Church".

Hmmmm......personally - I don't think any Catholic is "staunch". Shoot - they can't even admit they don't believe in all of what Jesus taught. So much for being "steadfast" and "firm" in their belief.

*shrugs*

Location hidden

#476058 Sep 12, 2013
Hey clay?

tell me one thing that I have ever said that isn't Biblical.

DARE YOU!!!!!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#476059 Sep 12, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>I knew there was good reason to like you the same as a brother Nick. We can agree to disagree,and I will not pound it into your ear either. But bro,we have a point,and I have heard the reasoning of my Catholic brothers and sisters in Christ till I am blue in the face,they here must think they are the only ones we converse with? NO,hardly.I have talked these things over with priests.
My friend,there is no reflection with the Catholics here on the forum.There is little chance for the the exchange to move in the direction of dialogue. They will not veer off the GPS and the destination is "I must come out on top in the conversation". If I cant do it legitimately, I will come on top through misquoting the other person, lies, insult, or humiliation.I try to give thought to what is said by the other person and see whatever issue through their eyes. I find that some who disagree with my views nevertheless can make just as strong a case for their view.

Location hidden

#476060 Sep 12, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You can tell a man called of God a mile away!!!!! Wow!!!!
don't NEED another persons opinion to tell me about Salvation.

I know all about it since I was there that night on 8/25/82.

and if you disagree with my words, give me your own words and opinion.

a person gets saved when the Spirit speaks to them and bids them Come. and if they are sincere, the Blood of Jesus will fall on them and their sins will be washed away.

and that is how it was with ME.

Albuquerque, NM

#476061 Sep 12, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>I am not afraid to be truthful, unlike your catholic leaders.
...and before this...you claim this....

atemcowboy wrote:
No Christian has to wonder, they KNOW.

You don't know shite. Please stop lying.

Faith and hope is not knowing - and quite far from it.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#476062 Sep 12, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
Hey clay?
tell me one thing that I have ever said that isn't Biblical.
DARE YOU!!!!!
You said the Bible alone is the will of Christ Jesus.(not Biblical) You said those 66 Books in your kjv are the Books that Christians are to only follow.(not Biblical). You said the 7 additional Books in my Bible are not inspired by God.(not Biblical). You say the Bible interprets itself (not Biblical).

Now, im not saying you said this word for word, so don't call me a liar.

Albuquerque, NM

#476063 Sep 12, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
You have posted what (you say) supposed to be the account of Thomas
alleging that it is the authentic...account of the words of Jesus..
Some where you have missed the fact...
that in order to establish/validate/give credibility to any doctrine in the BIBLE
there must be two or more witnesses...TO ESTABLISH A TRUTH
in God's word....
Your book of THOMAS...IS ONLY ONE WITNESS...
THE NEW TESTAMENT PROVIDES TWO WITNESSES THAT WERE WITH JESUS...
THEY ARE MATTHEW AND JOHN...THAT GIVE FIRST HAND ACCOUNTS OF WHAT JESUS BOTH SAID AND DID...
Example
The scripture that the Roman Catholic Church uses for the foundation/BASIS of their conjecture...THEIR POPE ...Mathew 16:17-20...can only be found written ONCE in the Bible.
( and they have edited it TO MAKE IT SAY WHAT THEY WANT IT TO..)
THEY CANNOT PRODUCE A WITNESS TO ESTABLISH A CREDIBLE DOCTRINE
FOR WHAT THEY TEACH.
THERE IS NO CORRESPONDING SCRIPTURE NOR ACTION IN THE OLD OR
NEW TESTAMENT, TO CROSS REFERENCE CO-RELATE...VALIDATE OR OTHERWISE ESTABLISH what they teach..
NOT ON THAT...THEY HAVE HAD TO RE-WRITE/EDIT... PARTS OF THE SCRIPTURE
TO ASSUME THEIR FABLES INT IT.
SUCH AS DENYING THE FAMILY.... OF AT LEAST SEVEN OF MARY AND JOSEPH...
YET THERE ARE CORRESPONDING SCRIPTURES TO PROVE/ VALIDATE THEIR FAMILY...
~~~
for he said...
Act 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and
-->ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
IN
Deu_17:6 At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.
NOTE...
Deu_19:15 -->One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth:
at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established. <--
IN REVELATION
Rev_11:3 And I will give power unto==> my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.
"God" witnessed it, that is all I need.

you wrote:
"THE NEW TESTAMENT PROVIDES TWO WITNESSES THAT WERE WITH JESUS...
THEY ARE MATTHEW AND JOHN...THAT GIVE FIRST HAND ACCOUNTS OF WHAT JESUS BOTH SAID AND DID..."
- with you only accepting two of the 13 Apostles is very telling in itself, that you have a major problem with believing the otehr Apostles were not blessed.

Bummer for you. Looks like I'll just see you in heaven and then we will discuss your error then.

Albuquerque, NM

#476064 Sep 12, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
for he said...
"Luke" was too late to the party, so his witnessing is bogus.
<quoted text>
IN
NOTE...
IN REVELATION
Quoting more non-Jesus texts again GiF? You really don't believe in Jesus, huh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Catholic schools being closed at alarming rate (Apr '08) 14 hr stfu 159
News Pope Francis's Visit to Turkey Embroiled in Par... (Dec '14) Dec 3 Azat 2
News As election nears, Pope Francis warns against f... Dec 1 Communist In A Dress 20
News Region's Catholic bishop welcomes Pope's stance... Nov 30 Cops are degenerates 35
News Franklin Graham rebuts pope on Islam: - This is... Nov 29 narako 2
News Free Presbyterians 'will protest' Pope's visit Nov 29 narako 1
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Nov 29 Married in 10,375
More from around the web