Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the Jul 10, 2007, CBC News story titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#475586 Sep 10, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true,,,,, however, the One (and only One) True Apostolic Catholic Church, initiated, formed and established by Jesus Christ HIMSELF (in Matthew 16:13-21) over 2000 years ago---IS SPECIAL!!!
That is "precisely" why we, as Catholics choose to believe,"in the FULLNESS of the FAITH"..... worship "IN THE FULLNESS of the TRUTH and adhere to the TRUTH of the biblical and historically PROVEN TRUE TEACHINGS of Jesus Christ in and through HIS One True Catholic Church......... Anything else (since the Reformation) is just "watered down....half-truth....half-her esy (opinionated and editorialized) Christianity"!
I love it!!!!! Congratulations!!!!! You have just called your pope a bald-face liar!!!!

The NABre poop appoved Catlick bible: Church: this word (Greek ekklsia) occurs in the gospels only here and in Mt 18:17 (twice). Jesus’ church means the community that he will gather and that, like a building, will have Peter as its solid foundation. That function of Peter consists in his being witness to Jesus as the Messiah, the Son of the living God.

Don't say nuttin' bout no Catholic denomination!!!!...

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#475587 Sep 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
No scripture is attributed to the direct hand of God. He didn't write it in His own hand.
Correct - "He" supposedly only 'wrote/scribed" the "Ten Commandments."

But your response is not what I asked.

I've asked - "Where does "God" specifically state which texts are "of His" inspiration and which are not?" - NOT - what texts did "he" write.

Please stay focussed.
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
As such, it's a remnant of man to be interpreted by man.
Yes - only texts by men exist - and not one word from "God" stating that certain texts are inspired and others are not.

Men sure like to do this - daily.
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Divinely inspired text requires a divinely inspired interpreter. Christ left His authority to the Church in scripture-that Church vetted scripture and declared canon.
Jesus died decades before most of these texts were written.

Where do you come up with this nonsense?
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Some, like you, don't believe that the canonical gospels are indeed, that. Fine.

Nah - I just think that they are incomplete. And if you can show me where "God" specifically calls those texts inspired, I may very well become "Catholic" again. As of right now, your organization has lacked in this specific task, in addition to being honest with its followers.
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You base this belief on men (early Gnostics) and ascribe to them the knowledge and/or power of discernment you deny to others.

No. I base it upon facts. "God" never declared any texts inspired - only men have. Unless you can provide this statement from a "God" that never wrote anything down.

Do you?

Just what I thought - you don't, so you avoid admiting this through honesty and continue to be deceiptful to others and yourself.
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't really tell us how that works-how Gnostics have knowledge and the early Church councils lacked it.
Yes I have - through learning and understanding Jesus.

You refuse to believe Jesus, so with me continuing to embark on that point, it seems rather futile. With you and so many others, not admitting that men wrote the Bible, actually causes this error.

Only you can change that, huh?

Hey Dan, this forum isn't about me - please stop trying to hijack it to what you want.

You are starting to sound like June.

Albuquerque, NM

#475588 Sep 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Why deny myself the sacraments?
You should be asking - why do I need the Sacraments.

Please state all the passages in and outside of the Bible that has Jesus listing those seven Sacraments you hold so dearly.

Albuquerque, NM

#475589 Sep 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
"DOH !!"
I mentioned "Christ". As in, "Jesus Christ".
...and I'm not "playing" you. At least you now admit that none of your blather is "self", rather you parroting a line from somewhere else.
Also, I wouldn't run out "I write history" so readily-you made Diocletian a Christian and termed the Arian heresy as "scripture" last week.
"DOH!!"
Diversion. Are you this feeble?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#475590 Sep 10, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I've asked - "Where does "God" specifically state which texts are "of His" inspiration and which are not?" - NOT - what texts did "he" write.
Please stay focussed.
<quoted text>
Yes - only texts by men exist - and not one word from "God" stating that certain texts are inspired and others are not.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Nah - I just think that they are incomplete. And if you can show me where "God" specifically calls those texts inspired, I may very well become "Catholic" again. As of right now, your organization has lacked in this specific task, in addition to being honest with its followers.
<quoted text>
No. I base it upon facts. "God" never declared any texts inspired - only men have. Unless you can provide this statement from a "God" that never wrote anything down.
Do you?
Just what I thought - you don't, so you avoid admiting this through honesty and continue to be deceiptful to others and yourself.
<quoted text>
You refuse to believe Jesus, so with me continuing to embark on that point, it seems rather futile. With you and so many others, not admitting that men wrote the Bible, actually causes this error.
Hey Dan, this forum isn't about me - please stop trying to hijack it to what you want.
You can't work both sides of the street.

You can't declare the canon "incomplete" unless you yourself are prepared to tell us how you, and not the various Church councils, know what is divinely inspired and what isn't.

Otherwise, you're simply the pot calling out the kettle.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#475591 Sep 10, 2013
<quoted text>
Please state all the passages in and outside of the Bible that has Jesus listing those seven Sacraments you hold so dearly.
Are you Oxbow?

Don't see it spelled out, so it doesn't exist?

Jesus mentions baptism and the Eucharist directly.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#475592 Sep 10, 2013
<quoted text>
Please stay focussed.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Do you?
<quoted text>
....and you sound like GIF, Ox and all the other DIY's here.

"Yes I have - through learning and understanding Jesus"

All you guys declare yourselves authoritative.

You keep good company.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#475593 Sep 10, 2013
Ah yes - the ol' "you adhere to men". I bring it to the forefront and show the world why Christianity is bogus, and then you throw the same argument at me, yet not once ADMITTING that you do the same.
Typical deception and dishonesty from a Catholic.
<quoted text>
And what "faith" is that? Your question is vague, considering "faith" is generated from within a person through learning and action. Self. No religion required.
<quoted text>
Speculative.
Christianity only utilizes less than six of the original Apostles, so your argument is less than half correct.
<quoted text>
All the Apostles are men, as was Jesus. So you are either trying to deceive others by misleading them in their perception or you are purposely being vague and incomplete in your thought.
Which is it?
<quoted text>
Yes - all but one of the 13 Apostles were taught by Jesus.
What is your point?
<quoted text>
So you accept only less than six Apostles.
Please state where "God" specifically states that any of these individuals are just as inspired as Thomas? Please provide the link and/or support for your answer.
<quoted text>
...and to obey the authority and teachings of Jesus, in which you refuse to do so.
Why?
<quoted text>
So? One could not do any of these requests without themselves taking action. Self.
<quoted text>Men are not authorized to be my superior. Maybe for you, not for me.
Why don't you let "God" or Jesus be your authority for a change?
Oh wait, you first have to believe in what Jesus taught in order to do this.
You're a fraud.
<quoted text>
That's right, although you do exactly this, except you take the ramblings of men from 1800+ years.
DOH!!
<quoted text>
Then prove it.
Please state where "God" specifically states which texts are "of His" inspiration and which are not?
You can do this, right? You seem to know alot about what "God" inspired and what he didn't.
Or are you like Dan and other so-called "Christians" and refuse to be honest and truthful - IN FRONT OF GOD!??
Yeah - just what I thought. We'll see, huh?
Dude, don't believe then. It don't affect me. You sound like a pot head anyway.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#475594 Sep 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
....and you sound like GIF, Ox and all the other DIY's here.
"Yes I have - through learning and understanding Jesus"
All you guys declare yourselves authoritative.
You keep good company.
That guy is kookier every time I talk to him. Men men men you believe men men men. Um hello, since creation, God used men to convey His truth to humanity! Lol

Albuquerque, NM

#475595 Sep 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't work both sides of the street.
Who said I am working on the street anyhow. Oh yeah - you are trying too. More diversion and double-talk Dan?

Do you ever give a straight answer to others? It appears you do have a problem with this.

Hone your honesty more - it will get better.
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>You can't declare the canon "incomplete" unless you yourself are prepared to tell us how you, and not the various Church councils, know what is divinely inspired and what isn't.
Still trying to advert from answering my question.

I understand - it requires truthfulness and honesty in order to say it, and it appears you have failed at just that.

Keep trying.
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>Otherwise, you're simply the pot calling out the kettle.
No - I am a human living in ABQ posting on a public forum.

"kettles" are usually metallic or plastic. I am neither.

When you want to use a euphamism, please make sure you are using it correctly.

The ignorance of Christianity.

Man-o-man Dan, you really need to talk with hojo, he'll set you straight.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#475596 Sep 10, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus taught the faith. Right? The Apostles spread this faith to the world. They did not teach things from men then. They taught things from Jesus Christ.
Their disciples ie fathers of the early Church, taught what they learned from the Apostles- who learned from the mouth of Jesus. Follow?
One thing the Apostles taught, was to obey the authority of the valid Bishop. Here is what one of their students said about this: "It is not lawful to Baptize or give communion without the consent of the Bishop, therefore, whatever has his approval is pleasing to God, Thus will be safe and valid"
"Do all things in harmony with God; with the Bishop presiding in place of God; with the Priest presiding with the council of the Apostles and the Deacons so dear to me, responsible for the business of Jesus Christ"
"Wherever the Bishop appears, there let the people be, as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church"
As you can see, there is some sort of authority in place. Christ installed a way for humanity to receive the truth of His Ministry. He certainly didn't rely on a bunch of knucklehead preaches with the writings from some of His Apostles that they attempt to decipher 2,000 yrs later!
So you accuse us of merely following men, but that's not really true. The men we follow are safeguarding the truths that Jesus taught. They are not inventing their personal opinions on what He taught.
You follow the teaching of mere natural men.

A. They teach you Mary remained a virgin evermore. God's Word says Joseph took her to wife...you choose to believe men instead of God....I believe God.....

“OneLordOneFaith Eph4:5”

Since: Apr 08

Saint John Paul II Pray 4 Us.

#475597 Sep 10, 2013
OMG!!
Where is June? Pages and pages without her! I thought I was on the wrong site.
Did she run off with Michael?
Are they on their honeymoon?

Albuquerque, NM

#475598 Sep 10, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you Oxbow?
What is with you always diverting, Dan? Who taught you to do this? They should've instead, taught you honesty.

No, I am not Oxbow, but one could compare he to you - you both enjoy being deceptive and dishonest.
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't see it spelled out, so it doesn't exist?
In the case of "inspired texts" - Yes. I'm sorry you would rather take man's word for it over Jesus'.

Ya know something, you would fit right in with those other witch-hunters of antiquity - you just love to make up things about others, when in truth, you haven't a clue on what you are talking about, but are just itching to see someone fall.
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus mentions baptism and the Eucharist directly.
So?

He also mentions that you should "know yourself in order to know the kingdom of God", yet you reject this.

Jesus actually says alot of things you callously reject.

Don't give me a sad story, it all your own undoing.

#475599 Sep 10, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Your church was founded by......CONSTANTINE!!!!! The perversion you call the Catholic church was in fact a mixture of every pagan belief in the Roman Empire combined with true Christianity and the end result is what YOU call the Roman Catholic church. Satan founder your church not the Lord Jesus Christ.
My Church was founded by Jesus, 1st century. PERIOD! YOUR church was founded by mortal man!!

You better run [if u can run, Old guy]to this site and tell them YOUR “new” news…….lol

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/507...
----Britannica.com

“The Roman Catholic Church traces its history to

Jesus Christ and the Apostles. Over the course of

centuries it developed a highly sophisticated

theology and an elaborate organizational structure

headed by the papacy, the oldest continuing

absolute monarchy in the world.

The number of Roman Catholics in the world (nearly 1.2 billion) is greater than that of nearly all other religious traditions. There are more Roman Catholics than all other Christians combined and more Roman Catholics than all Buddhists or

Hindus. Although there are more Muslims than Roman Catholics, the number of

Roman Catholics is greater than that of the individual traditions of Sh&#299;&#703;ite and
Sunni Islam.

These incontestable statistical and historical facts suggest that some understanding of Roman Catholicism—its history, its institutional structure, its beliefs and practices, and its place in the world—is an indispensable component of cultural literacy, regardless of how one may individually answer the ultimate questions of life and death and faith. Without a grasp of what Roman Catholicism is, it is difficult to make historical sense of the Middle Ages, intellectual sense of the works of Thomas Aquinas, literary sense of The Divine Comedy of Dante, artistic sense of the Gothic cathedrals, or musical sense of many of the compositions of Haydn and Mozart.”

PLEASE NOTE.......
“The Encyclopedia Britannica is published with the editorial advice of the faculties of the
University of Chicago,
University of Oxford, Cambridge, London and Edinburgh:
a committee at the University of Toronto and
committees drawn from members of the faculties of the University of Tokyo and
The Australian National University”
Dan

Omaha, NE

#475600 Sep 10, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
That guy is kookier every time I talk to him. Men men men you believe men men men. Um hello, since creation, God used men to convey His truth to humanity! Lol
I can't shake the "Two and A Half Men" theme song out of my head whan I read these posts.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#475601 Sep 10, 2013
<quoted text>
Who said I am working on the street anyhow. Oh yeah - you are trying too. More diversion and double-talk Dan?
Do you ever give a straight answer to others? It appears you do have a problem with this.
Hone your honesty more - it will get better.
<quoted text>
Still trying to advert from answering my question.
I understand - it requires truthfulness and honesty in order to say it, and it appears you have failed at just that.
Keep trying.
<quoted text>
No - I am a human living in ABQ posting on a public forum.
"kettles" are usually metallic or plastic. I am neither.
When you want to use a euphamism, please make sure you are using it correctly.
The ignorance of Christianity.
Man-o-man Dan, you really need to talk with hojo, he'll set you straight.
Your question is idiotic and I've already addressed it.

Scripture did not come with a divinely inspired table of contents. No one sent a divine message down saying "this text is good-ditch the other one on the right side of the bookcase".

Thus, the issue is interpretation and the authority of the interpreter.

You believe yourself to be authoritative in deciding what is divinely inspired text, and (I believe also-correct me if I'm wrong) that you are likewise able to interpret said divinely inspired text as to what it's meaning is.

I believe that the Church does this.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#475602 Sep 10, 2013
<quoted text>
What is with you always diverting, Dan? Who taught you to do this? They should've instead, taught you honesty.
No, I am not Oxbow, but one could compare he to you - you both enjoy being deceptive and dishonest.
<quoted text>
In the case of "inspired texts" - Yes. I'm sorry you would rather take man's word for it over Jesus'.
Ya know something, you would fit right in with those other witch-hunters of antiquity - you just love to make up things about others, when in truth, you haven't a clue on what you are talking about, but are just itching to see someone fall.
<quoted text>
So?
He also mentions that you should "know yourself in order to know the kingdom of God", yet you reject this.
Jesus actually says alot of things you callously reject.
Don't give me a sad story, it all your own undoing.
Again, holding me to a "bible alone" standard wanting quotes from Christ as to everything I believe is sophomoric. I'm a Catholic and don't hew to "bible alone".

You, a man and not a kettle, believe that I should take your own word on your own authority and accept non-canonical scripture.

Sorry.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#475603 Sep 10, 2013
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you misunderstood.... the point I was trying to make is your link never said "Roman Catholic Church" it said "Catholic Church"
I expected a your link to say "RCC" but it didn't.
From your link.
12. Q. Say the Apostles’ Creed. A. I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified; died, and was buried. He descended into hell: the third day He arose again from the dead: He ascended into heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
"I
believe in the Holy Ghost,
the{{{{{ Holy Catholic Church,}}}}}}
the communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the
resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen."
Anyway case closed. Have a great day!
STAR

it took me a while to figure out which link counterfeiters to..since it was not included I your post ..

Anyway since the reference to my sis ..I figured out it was

The CATECHISM link.

I said NOTHING about the creed ..look at question 133

As I have detailed when I post ....

HOLY ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH .

case closed .

Lot of things in there and stuff from Pope Pius...infallible encyclical??
Regarding evolution ..Humanis. something .
It sure dies not agree with current Church thinking we may be descended from dome other biological life form.

That's the thing about BIBLE STUDY ..the BIBKE has God's inspired message to us about all we need to know ...Not stuff being added
Millennia,later .to go along with scientific theories ...which are just THST THEORIES. subject to change .

To deny your Roman roots or the story of creation .

That current Catholics have changed ..But I guess when US older folks die off ..it won't matter what I learned from my CATECHISM or the nuns

It was called the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH ....in your own CATECHISM and by the nuns,and priests in two different states ..That I know,of personally

..until then ..my long term memory ..thankfully is intact ...

#475604 Sep 10, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Rock Hudson was a queen....Mary was not.She was, by her own words, the handmaiden of the Lord...
BTW...When pray to God, is that not an act of worship????? When you attend church on Sundays...who do you worship????
ALL Catholics worship Jesus!!! Our Mass is Jesus centered. We honor our heavenly Blessed Mother Mary, as you should.

Rock Hudson??? LOL You follow that type of 'queen' Now we know, why you hate everything that is good.

You will answer to Jesus if you ever get to see HIM. Talking about HIS Blessed Mother like that. Shame, shame, shame!!!

The Magnificat, taken from Luke’s Gospel (1:46-55),

is the Blessed Virgin Mary’s hymn of praise to

the Lord. It is also known as the Canticle of Mary

in the Liturgy of the Hours, a special collection of scripture readings, psalms, and hymns that constitute what is known as the prayer of the church.(Priests and other religious are required to pray sections from the Liturgy of the Hours each day.)

My soul magnifies the Lord
And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior;
Because he has regarded the lowliness of his handmaid;
For behold, henceforth all generations shall call me blessed;
Because he who is mighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his name;
And his mercy is from generation to generation
on those who fear him.
He has shown might with his arm,
He has scattered the proud in the conceit of their heart.
He has put down the mighty from their thrones,
and has exalted the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has given help to Israel, his servant, mindful of his mercy
Even as he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his posterity forever.
Luke’s Gospel (1:46-55)

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#475605 Sep 10, 2013
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you misunderstood.... the point I was trying to make is your link never said "Roman Catholic Church" it said "Catholic Church"
I expected a your link to say "RCC" but it didn't.
From your link.
12. Q. Say the Apostles’ Creed. A. I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified; died, and was buried. He descended into hell: the third day He arose again from the dead: He ascended into heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
"I
believe in the Holy Ghost,
the{{{{{ Holy Catholic Church,}}}}}}
the communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the
resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen."
Anyway case closed. Have a great day!
Oops the link
http://catecheticsonline.com/...

NOW this time look at the question I referred to 133'

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 9 hr Big Tiny 9,189
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 10 hr barry 84,080
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... Apr 25 Sherlayne 8
News Pope Francis visit to Cuba confirmed Apr 25 W A Y L O N 2
News Extremists sought in possible plot against the ... Apr 24 tomin cali 1
News John Paul II College of Davao (Dec '07) Apr 24 JJF 664
News Ion Mihai Pacepa 46 minutes ago History often r... Apr 24 Tom Jones 1
More from around the web