Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 603754 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Human Being

Arnaudville, LA

#475324 Sep 7, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>when did you Get an idea that I support Obama in any way. I have said many Times that I am apolitical. oo you even know what that means.
I havent voted for a President since back in the 70's.tho around 15 or 20 years ago, I did vote twice for my brother when he ran for Co. Comm. and I told him the last time that I wasn't going to vote for him again, if he chose to run anymore for a elected office.
as far as military action, I just thought about this so thanks for bringing it up. I am all for SA and the arabs that want to stop Assad, to doing it for themselves. their army and AF is more than sufficient, along with those who would support them.
as it stands now, it is similar to Gen Patton and the cry about him,
"Old blood and guts" and as one soldier said,
"yeah, his guts and our blood".
I don't want to see one American dying anymore for any of those Arabs.
LET THE GAMES BEGIN! AND AS FAR AS THE POPE, HE IS ONLY WANTING PUBLICITY.
Preston:

Your preference in the last election was for Obama over Romney. Your reason was Obama would do more for the VA(your paycheck). I remember it well, though I shall not go back into the archives to dig up the dirt.

You did not vote, but knowing how divisive the issue was at the time, you discouraged discourse on the subject.

Since you are an American, who choses not to vote, you can take credit for Obama's agenda, by default.(And support of the VA paycheck increase.)

The issue now is just how bleak a future is in store for the US, if it gets involved in any way, other than peaceful and humanitarian means to support the people of Syria?

Peace

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#475325 Sep 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"First note that neither council was ecumenical, therefore metousiosis cannot be a dogma."
Can you please direct us to an ecumenical council document that does authoritatively state what the dogmatic Orthodox position is? I ask only because there seems to be no real agreement between the Orthodox traditions as to what the Eucharist REALLY is. Thanks.
Keep your thanks. Understanding Orthodoxy, nothing is overdefined. Orthodoxy respects the mysteries of God.Another well known feature of Orthodoxy is its refusal to give a detained explanation of how bread and wine becomes sanctified. This wa deliberate, not due to any ambiguity or confusion on their part. Apophatic theology. A difference between eastern and Western ( Scholastic) thinking.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#475326 Sep 7, 2013
hojo wrote:
The Catholic Church historically and biblically teaches that it is the one true church divinely founded by Jesus Christ. It's bishops are the successors of Christ's apostles and that the Bishop of Rome, as the successor to the head of the apostles, Saint Peter, has supreme authority over the Church. The Church maintains the true doctrine on faith and morals that it presents as definitive is infallible. There are a variety of doctrinal and theological emphases, including the Eastern Catholic Churches, the personal ordinarites and religious communities.
The Catholic Church (seldom called the Roman Catholic Church,is Trinitarian and its mission is spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ, administering the sacraments and exercising charity. Catholic worship is highly liturgical, focusing on the Mass or Divine Liturgy, in which the sacrament of the Eucharist is celebrated. The Church teaches that when consecrated by a validly ordained priest the bread and wine used during the Mass become the body and blood of Christ through transubstantiation. The Catholic Church practices closed communion and only baptized members of the Church in a state of grace are ordinarily permitted to receive the Eucharist. It holds the Virgin Mary, as mother of Jesus Christ, in special regard and has defined four specific Marian dogmatic teachings, namely her Immaculate Conception without original sin, her status as the Mother of God, her perpetual virginity and her bodily Assumption into Heaven at the end of her earthly life. It is the One True Apostolic Church that Jesus himself established and commissioned to Peter and the Apostles. It is not the only Church but it is the One True Church!!
no one beleives you except your fellow catholics...

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#475327 Sep 7, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Preston:
Your preference in the last election was for Obama over Romney. Your reason was Obama would do more for the VA(your paycheck). I remember it well, though I shall not go back into the archives to dig up the dirt.
You did not vote, but knowing how divisive the issue was at the time, you discouraged discourse on the subject.
Since you are an American, who choses not to vote, you can take credit for Obama's agenda, by default.(And support of the VA paycheck increase.)
The issue now is just how bleak a future is in store for the US, if it gets involved in any way, other than peaceful and humanitarian means to support the people of Syria?
Peace
OF COURSE I DISCOURAGED SPEAKING ABOUT POLITICAL CHOICES ON THIS FORUM.

that isn't what this Forum is to be about..

and just because I mentioned about OUR VA COMPS. BEING REDUCED BY A REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT NO WAY WOULD INFLUENCE MY VOTING CHOICES.

and BTW, the increase was given. from over 1600 to over 2900.lol
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#475328 Sep 7, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Keep your thanks. Understanding Orthodoxy, nothing is overdefined. Orthodoxy respects the mysteries of God.Another well known feature of Orthodoxy is its refusal to give a detained explanation of how bread and wine becomes sanctified. This wa deliberate, not due to any ambiguity or confusion on their part. Apophatic theology. A difference between eastern and Western ( Scholastic) thinking.
I'm sorry for the confusion Nick, but you just DID gave a detailed definition of consubstantiation...I'm simply asking where the Orthodox definitively teach it?
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#475329 Sep 7, 2013
<quoted text>Everyone who wants to take lessons re Orthodoxy from someone who cant tell the truth re his own Catholicism and has an agenda of convincing true orthodox that they are really Catholic write this down.
I think this was in response to your wife's comments/criticisms about Catholic excommunication...just wanted everyone to know it's the same where she worships.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#475330 Sep 7, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus rose again from the grave on the third day...
(THIS IS WHAT SETS HIM APART FROM ALL OTHERS THAT HAVE CLAIMED
TO BE GOD)
THIS IS THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST...
Co 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1Co 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
1Co 15:5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
1Co 15:6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
1Co 15:7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
No - that would be the gospel of "Paul". You are confused.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#475331 Sep 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I think this was in response to your wife's comments/criticisms about Catholic excommunication...just wanted everyone to know it's the same where she worships.
To describe as similar how the Catholic Church has used excommunication with how the Orthodox has used excommunication IN PRACTICE lacks a sense of proportion. The Orthodox has had abuses.I accept that. But the Orthodox did not systematize inquisitional practices (Innocent 3 at Latern) Both of our churches have at times acted diametrically opposed to the excommunication as healing belief.Our Patriarch excommunicated yours and vice versa. It was not for healing.They set poor Agreed though the proper use of excommunication is for healing..
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#475332 Sep 7, 2013
<quoted text>To describe as similar how the Catholic Church has used excommunication with how the Orthodox has used excommunication IN PRACTICE lacks a sense of proportion. The Orthodox has had abuses.I accept that. But the Orthodox did not systematize inquisitional practices (Innocent 3 at Latern) Both of our churches have at times acted diametrically opposed to the excommunication as healing belief.Our Patriarch excommunicated yours and vice versa. It was not for healing.They set poor Agreed though the proper use of excommunication is for healing..
Agreed Nick, we both teach that it is for the purpose of healing and reconciliation, and we have both abused it at times.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#475333 Sep 7, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>OF COURSE I DISCOURAGED SPEAKING ABOUT POLITICAL CHOICES ON THIS FORUM.
that isn't what this Forum is to be about..
and just because I mentioned about OUR VA COMPS. BEING REDUCED BY A REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT NO WAY WOULD INFLUENCE MY VOTING CHOICES.
and BTW, the increase was given. from over 1600 to over 2900.lol
Good for you ..our Vets,need our support ...IMO.

No idea,what Romney would have done about that ..

Regarding this,administration..I pray for wisdom they sorely
Need ...especially at the moment for the,middle,East .
Should have done something long time ago ..NOW?????
who would we be helping ...is it cosmetic..And will
We bring war on Israel

Sure is,a great diversion from the,IRS....spying on us and the
Embassy in Libya,...!!!!
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#475334 Sep 7, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>no one beleives you except your fellow catholics...
...along with the other 1.2 billion Catholics around the world----not counting the billions and billions of Catholics who have gone before us marked with the sign of faith, for over 2000 years
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#475336 Sep 7, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter how often you tell your lies, they will not magically
magically turn into the truth!!!!
There is no support. of any sort, that supports your vain words.
Catholics insist that "church" in Scripture identifies the Roman Catholic Church.
I find no English dictionary, Bible dictionary, Greek lexicon, nor Scripture, that so defines the word "church"....and neither does any Catholic....
So where comes from this hogwash that "church" means Roman Catholic Church????? From their factory of lies....
It is YOU Ox, who rebelliously, defiantly, and vindictively "CHOOSES" to remain on the (outside of the TRUTH)---always looking in at the historical and biblical TRUTH of Jesus Christ and HIS One True Apostolic Catholic Church........ The Prodigal son did (exactly)the same thing in Luke 15:11, that is---until---HE EVENTUALLY----CAME TO HIS SENSES!!!!!

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#475337 Sep 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed Nick, we both teach that it is for the purpose of healing and reconciliation, and we have both abused it at times.
Well I wish your Pope would heal and reconcile with threat of excommunication ..all legislators,..who further ABORTION. Publicly as they still call themselves,Catholic ...

They prance around touting their faith ..And that ABORTION is right .

How many women and voters,HAVE they influenced and enabled .

Much worse than some poor guy getting remarried who does,not want an annulment of a marriage ...IMO
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#475338 Sep 7, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I wish your Pope would heal and reconcile with threat of excommunication ..all legislators,..who further ABORTION. Publicly as they still call themselves,Catholic ...
Much worse than some poor guy getting remarried who does,not want an annulment of a marriage ...IMO
He has. These Catholic-in-name-only politicians are uniquely an American phenomenon. They call themselves Catholic but give the Church the middle finger. Most faithful Catholics don't consider them Catholics, and neither should you.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#475339 Sep 7, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Allow me to add a a little information here. The pope does not routinely issue excommunications from Rome, it doesn't work that way as Dan explained, it's the bishop's responsibility to counsel them, and for the most part they do. Pelosi was firmly instructed by Pope Benedict when she met with him awhile back, she ignored him obviously. The bigger concern we have as faithful Catholics is with bishops who aren't as firm with these folks as they should be. But I don't think we want to have Church police standing at the entrances or Eucharist police standing next to the priest in front of the Church. You'll also notice these politicians for the most part are on the East and West coasts in urban areas where the laity and bishops tend to be quite a bit more liberal (that's another topic).

In my opinion, Pelosi and Biden are decorating their special places in hell.
Star

Whittier, CA

#475340 Sep 7, 2013
Prayer and fasting for peace today. http://visnews-en.blogspot.com/2013/09/franci... .
finalprophecies

AOL

#475341 Sep 7, 2013

ANTICHRIST ...on world stage --

OldJG

Rockford, IL

#475342 Sep 7, 2013
What about the eucharist the Roman Catholic church squeals about? Is Jesus a cracker? Is Jesus blood really wine?

First of all, it is necessary to refute any false teaching by weighing them against what the Bible has to say. Jesus’ position is presently “seated at the right hand of the Father” in heaven, according to Colossians 3:1. No priest, pastor, or anyone else has the power to call the King of Kings down from His lofty position, particularly to enter into a piece of bread which will then be eaten. This is not what Jesus meant when He stated that He was “the bread of life,” as written in John 6:51:“I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world." He did not mean that we literally eat His flesh, as Catholic dogma teaches. Rather, Jesus is referring to spiritual life which is available only in Him. We no more eat His literal flesh than we literally eat the Word of God. When Jesus said to Satan,“It is written:'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God'" (Matthew 4:4), He was obviously referring to spiritual life depending on the spiritual food that is the Word of God, just as physical life depends on physical food.

Likewise, no one has the authority to turn wine into blood, another teaching of the Roman Catholic Church that is NOT found in Scripture, although, again, they attempt to apply the words of Mark 14:24 to support theirs belief:“‘This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many,’ he said to them.” Using common sense, what possible spiritual gain could there be from the physical eating of the person of Jesus Christ? He is Lord; He is God of all creation, why on earth would He agree to become a wafer, or a piece of unleavened bread? Besides this, when He was resurrected, He was in His glorified body. How can a glorified/eternal/undying body become a piece of bread? What Jesus was saying is that without Him, it is impossible to sustain life in an eternal sense, because without Jesus, a person is lost and they are faceing not life, but spiritual death, which means that their eternity will be spent away from the presence of God, in hell.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#475343 Sep 7, 2013
OldJG wrote:
What about the eucharist the Roman Catholic church squeals about? Is Jesus a cracker? Is Jesus blood really wine?
First of all, it is necessary to refute any false teaching by weighing them against what the Bible has to say. Jesus’ position is presently “seated at the right hand of the Father” in heaven, according to Colossians 3:1. No priest, pastor, or anyone else has the power to call the King of Kings down from His lofty position, particularly to enter into a piece of bread which will then be eaten. This is not what Jesus meant when He stated that He was “the bread of life,” as written in John 6:51:“I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world." He did not mean that we literally eat His flesh, as Catholic dogma teaches. Rather, Jesus is referring to spiritual life which is available only in Him. We no more eat His literal flesh than we literally eat the Word of God. When Jesus said to Satan,“It is written:'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God'" (Matthew 4:4), He was obviously referring to spiritual life depending on the spiritual food that is the Word of God, just as physical life depends on physical food.
Likewise, no one has the authority to turn wine into blood, another teaching of the Roman Catholic Church that is NOT found in Scripture, although, again, they attempt to apply the words of Mark 14:24 to support theirs belief:“‘This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many,’ he said to them.” Using common sense, what possible spiritual gain could there be from the physical eating of the person of Jesus Christ? He is Lord; He is God of all creation, why on earth would He agree to become a wafer, or a piece of unleavened bread? Besides this, when He was resurrected, He was in His glorified body. How can a glorified/eternal/undying body become a piece of bread? What Jesus was saying is that without Him, it is impossible to sustain life in an eternal sense, because without Jesus, a person is lost and they are faceing not life, but spiritual death, which means that their eternity will be spent away from the presence of God, in hell.
Common sense...the carnal sort... says no.

Faith...the Spiritual sort... says yes.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#475344 Sep 7, 2013
OldJG wrote:
"First of all, it is necessary to refute any false teaching by weighing them against what the Bible has to say."

Jesus says...in the bible....that it's His Body and Blood.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 2 hr Mr_SKY 84,435
News Archbishop assails Trump over birthright citize... 3 hr Catholic24 6
News Pope eases church rule on abortion forgiveness 3 hr Catholic24 41
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 3 hr Mr Sir 9,686
News Pope: Priests in Holy Year can absolve - sin of... Wed Catholic24 8
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory Aug 30 Paul Porter1 421
News Ahead of pope's visit to US, some friction over... Aug 26 Belle Sexton 3
More from around the web