Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 560,745
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#475241 Sep 6, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Please keep us posted on your granddaughters condition!She remains in Our prayers!!!!
thank you. she is back from the hospital and she does have a concussion. they gave her some medicine but rest is what she needs the most. she has vomited and been dizzy. but Cathie is off for the next couple of days and so we will be able to monitor her very closely
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#475242 Sep 6, 2013
The phrase “the queen of heaven” appears in the Bible twice, both times in the book of Jeremiah. The first incident is in connection with the things the Israelites were doing that provoked the Lord to anger. Entire families were involved in idolatry. The children gathered wood, and the men used it to build altars to worship false gods. The women were engaged in kneading dough and baking cakes of bread for the “Queen of Heaven”(Jeremiah 7:18). This title referred to Ishtar, an Assyrian and Babylonian goddess also called Ashtoreth and Astarte by various other groups. She was thought to be the wife of the false god Baal, also known as Molech. The motivation of women to worship Ashtoreth stemmed from her reputation as a fertility goddess, and, as the bearing of children was greatly desired among women of that era, worship of this “queen of heaven” was rampant among pagan civilizations. Sadly, it became popular among the Israelites as well.

The second reference to the queen of heaven is found in Jeremiah 44:17-25, where Jeremiah is giving the people the word of the Lord which God has spoken to him. He reminds the people that their disobedience and idolatry has caused the Lord to be very angry with them and to punish them with calamity. Jeremiah warns them that greater punishments await them if they do not repent. They reply that they have no intentions of giving up their worship of idols, promising to continue pouring out drink offerings to the queen of heaven, Ashtoreth, and even going so far as to credit her with the peace and prosperity they once enjoyed because of God’s grace and mercy.

It is unclear where the idea that Ashtoreth was a “consort” of Jehovah originated, but it’s easy to see how the blending of paganism that exalts a goddess with the worship of the true King of heaven, Jehovah, can lead to the combining of God and Ashtoreth. And since Ashtoreth worship involved sexuality (fertility, procreation, temple prostitution), the resulting relationship, to the depraved mind, would naturally be one of a sexual nature. Clearly, the idea of the “queen of heaven” as the consort or paramour of the King of heaven is idolatrous.

There is no queen of heaven. There has never been a queen of heaven. There is most certainly a King of Heaven, the Lord of hosts, Jehovah. He alone rules in heaven. He does not share His rule or His throne or His authority with anyone. The idea that Mary, the mother of Jesus, is the queen of heaven has no scriptural basis whatsoever, stemming instead from proclamations of priests and popes of the Roman Catholic Church. While Mary was certainly a godly young woman greatly blessed in that she was chosen to bear the Savior of the world, she was not in any way divine, nor was she sinless, nor is she to be worshiped, revered, venerated, or prayed to. All followers of the Lord God refuse worship. Peter and the apostles refused to be worshiped. The holy angels refuse to be worshiped. The response is always the same, "Worship God!" To offer worship, reverence, or veneration to anyone but God is nothing short of idolatry. Mary’s own words in her “Magnificat” reveal that she never thought of herself as “immaculate” and deserving of veneration, but was instead relying on the grace of God for salvation:“And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.” Only sinners need a savior, and Mary recognized that need in herself.

Furthermore, Jesus Himself issued a mild rebuke to a woman who cried out to Him, "Blessed is the mother who gave you birth and nursed you" replying to her, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it." By doing so, He curtailed any tendency to elevate Mary as an object of worship. He could certainly have said,“Yes, blessed be the Queen of Heaven!” But He did not. He was affirming the same truth that the Bible affirms—there is no queen of heaven, and the only biblical references to the “queen of heaven” refer to the goddess of an idolatrous, false religion.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#475243 Sep 6, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
lol. just how many times can Our Lords Church be divided?
Then, the ones that split from the original split.... will split again, and the next generation will disagree and split with those.
Just like Protestants. The evangelicals are actually Protestants of the protestants, who broke from the other protestants. But who cares, right? Springer is at six. lol
The Orthodox Church in the eyes of ALL Orthodox believe that they are "Our Lords Church" and your church split.You know the story and I wont repeat it.But that is what ALL ORTHODOX believe just as ALL CATHOLICS believe that yours is'Our Lords Church"So take your LOL's and save them for a rainy day and a more worthy post.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#475244 Sep 6, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>thank you. she is back from the hospital and she does have a concussion. they gave her some medicine but rest is what she needs the most. she has vomited and been dizzy. but Cathie is off for the next couple of days and so we will be able to monitor her very closely
Nick and I are glad to hear that she is back home now.Our prayers remain with her!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#475245 Sep 6, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>God blesses those who choose to pray for others because they love them.
even oldjg prayed for that young girl, while you sat over in the devils chair acting SMART like you always do.
you in the last few months have came out of the devils closet and showed your true colors.
now you can attack the catholic church on this Forum, but that doesn't fool the rest of we Christians, YOU ARE NOT ON OUR SIDE.
this is the same young girl who gave a testimony to her young school friends and you mocked it over a Capitalization or lack of.
and it would have pleased the devil a lot if she had been seriously hurt or killed, there would have went a great testimony lost. it behooves ALL Christians to pray for these young children, in this world that we live in and in our near future, they are going to need a Close Relationship with the Lord to Survive, physically and mentally.
SO OXBORE, YOU CONTINUE TO MOCK HER AND CHOOSE NOT TO PRAY FOR HER, BUT SOMEDAY, THE TABLES MAY BE TURNED AND IT WILL BE YOU WWHO HAS A LOVED ONE THAT HAS JUST BEEN SAVED OR INJURED AND YOU NEED TO ASK OTHERS TO PRAY FOR THEM.
Do I Need to ask other to pray for her when I can ask Him Myself. the answer is NO! I know that He hears me, but if I ask others to pray, one of them might get the answer from God and that answer gives them the strength to go on. We Never know. so why should I stay silent and maybe knock them out of a Blessing from God.
and the Good thing about this Walk is this. Wed night as I walked into church, a Sister said to me. "Preston, you were on my mind last night and I prayed for you". so yeah, I was worried for my Babe, and God knew that and He laid it upon someone to Pray for me. but I know that the actual request made by the Holy Spirit was for her, not really for me.
That is how God works for each of us that Loves Him. So Oxbore, your words don't affect me, I know God loves me and nothing that the devil and you can say to me, will change or affect that.
If you were a man called of God, when you saw the "god" in her post, you, before posting her info, would have corrected it to God...

Regards your Babe...something for you to seriously consider...David sinned grievously....God punished him by taking his son.

And.....in my posts regards the Catholics.... there has not been one false word used...only facts....provable truth....since you see that as me attacking the Catholics shows your total lack of concern for the poor souls being led, by them, down the road to destruction....

You were called of God as certain as as the Pink Rabbit....
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#475246 Sep 6, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>seems like I knew it well enough to know where Mary was at during these times.lol
NOT WITH HIM!!!!!!!!
AND I KNEW THAT SOMEONE WOULD ATTACK ME RATHER THAN DISPUTE MY WORDS.
OF COURSE MY WORDS COULDNT BE DISPUTED.LOL
Your words can easily be disputed. Where does Jesus say that everything about His Mother is to be recorded in 5 of his 12 Apostles writings?
Exactly, you form an opinion on His Mother based on so little documented.
Early Christian understanding was that she bore forth the word of God mad flesh. She would be a Holy Ark then, NOT a surrogate Mother.
Keep fantasizing that Christ willed a Bible be compiled to have men like you communicate His teachings to the world. What you end up doing is trashing the Mother of the Lord. Good luck with that, man.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#475247 Sep 6, 2013
The Roman Catholics did these things and called them Biblical......

1. Prayers for the dead 300 A.D.
2. Sign of the Cross 310 A.D.
3. Wax votive candles 320 A.D.
4. Veneration of saints and angels 375 A.D.
5. Mary declared "Mother of God" 431 A.D.
6. Priests begin to wear vestments 500 A.D.
7. Worship in Latin 600 A.D.
8. Temporal Papacy power granted by Phocas 610 A.D.
9. Feast days in honour of Mary 650 A.D.
10. Kissing of the Pope's feet 709 A.D.
11. Temporal power of Papacy confirmed 750 A.D.
12. Adoration of Mary, saints, images and relics
legalised by 2nd Council of Nicea 788 A.D.
13. Holy water 850 A.D.
14. Veneration of St. Joseph 890 A.D.
15. Baptism of bells 965 A.D.
16. Canonization of dead saints 995 A.D.
17. Fasting on Fridays and Lent 998 A.D.
18. Rosary beads 1090 A.D.
19. Pope Boniface VII decrees celibacy of priests 1097 A.D.
20. Inquisition of heretics 1184 A.D.
21. Sale of Indulgences 1190 A.D.
22. Transubstantiation of the wafer 1215 A.D.
23. Confession to a priest 1215 A.D.
24. Adoration of the host (Wafer God) 1220 A.D.
25. Bible forbidden and placed on index of forbidden books --by Council of Valencia 1229 A.D.
26. Red hats for Cardinals 1245 A.D.
27. Feast of Corpus Christi 1264 A.D.
28. The Miraculous scapular 1287 A.D.
29. Roman church as the only true church 1303 A.D.
30. Cup forbidden to laity at Communion 1415 A.D.
31. Purgatory decreed by Council of Florence 1439 A.D.
32. Doctrine of the seven sacraments 1439 A.D.
33. Tradition of equal authority to the Bible 1545 A.D.
34. Justification by works and not faith alone 1545 A.D.
35. Creed of Pope Plus IV makes all the unscriptural doctrines of Council of Trent binding 1560 A.D.
36. Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary 1854 A.D.
37. Papal infallibility 1870 A.D.
38. Papal decree on mixed marriages -- all marriages not celebrated by a Roman priest declared null and void 1908 A.D.
39. Pope reaffirms Mary as Mother of God 1931 A.D.
40. Assumption of the Virgin Mary 1950 A.D.

Location hidden

#475248 Sep 6, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Preston
Relax....
I know you have a prejudice against, and a callous disregard for the "MOTHER OF THE MESSIAH".
I shall not debate the issue with you. Just be careful, and do what you must....
Peace
sorry, but it is the catholic that have the FALSE prejudice against her, not me.

as far as debating the "issue" with me. I spoke the truth, guess which side you would have to take?LOL

Location hidden

#475249 Sep 6, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were a man called of God, when you saw the "god" in her post, you, before posting her info, would have corrected it to God...
NOPE. HER POST NEVER NEEDED TO BE EDITED BY ME OR ANYONE ELSE.

then it wouldn't have came from her. I loved it, if you didn't, WHO ARE YOU?

you are nothing but a blowhard to me and a very contemptible person
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#475250 Sep 6, 2013
THE BABYLONIAN QUEEN OF HEAVEN:

Was conceived immaculately…was never defiled by sin…never lost her virginity.

Had a son called "the cleanser from sin" and the "unpolluted god".

Crushed the head of the serpent as it bruised her heel.

Was carried to heaven by her son after her death and resurrection.

Was both co-redeemer and judge who stood by her son as he judged the dead.

Both he and she were endowed with the keys to open the portals of heaven.

Had blue eyes and golden hair just like the madonna images we see today.

Had a sun-disk or sun rays around her head, with the moon under her feet.

Location hidden

#475251 Sep 6, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Your words can easily be disputed.
then do it!

I say that He said very little to her at the wedding. Prove otherwise!

I said that she was outside while they were having church inside. Prove me wrong!

I said that she left Jesus, a young child, alone for several days. prove me wrong!

I said after Pentecost, she is never spoken of again in the bible. Prove me wrong.

I said that she never wrote one book in the Bible, Prove me wrong!

I said that she never wrote one letter that Blessed one person. Prove me wrong!

NOW DEAL WITH THOSE WORDS AND DONT ATTACK ME.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#475252 Sep 6, 2013
OldJG wrote:
13. Holy water 850 A.D.
25. Bible forbidden and placed on index of forbidden books --by Council of Valencia 1229 A.D.
35. Creed of Pope Plus IV makes all the unscriptural doctrines of Council of Trent binding 1560 A.D.
38. Papal decree on mixed marriages -- all marriages not celebrated by a Roman priest declared null and void 1908 A.D.
----for starters: "Roman" Catholic has to do with a diocese and rite. Not the actual Church. The Church is the Church. It is called Catholic, meaning universal. Since that truth squashes many of your teachings about her - particularly the 'whore of Babylon' garbage, i expect you to do the fundie thing and promptly ignore the it and carry on with your propaganda leaflets.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#475253 Sep 6, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because you do not understand enough about scripture to form an opinion on Mary. You don't even know what scripture is, let alone how to interpret it.
A virgin forever was not Mary!!!!

This theory of Mary’s “perpetual virginity” became official dogma at the Council of Chalcedon in A.D. 451, and thus is binding upon both the Greek and Roman segments of the Church (Pelikan, 14.1000).
The Historical Roots of the Dogma

What is the biblical evidence for this dogma? There is none —absolutely none. As one scholar quaintly noted, the doctrine “is a matter of dogmatic assumption unmixed with any alloy of factual evidence”(Sweet, 3.2003).

The theory had its roots in the pagan environment of the post-apostolic age when there was a strong emphasis upon celibacy within certain heathen religions. In that day, sexual intercourse, even within marriage, sometimes carried the suspicion of sin.

Alexander Hislop has shown a remarkable concurrence between the Vestal Virgins of pagan Rome, and the propensity for virginity that evolved in the digressive church of the post-apostolic period (Hislop, 223, 236-238, 250).

The idea thus evolved that it was inconceivable that Mary should have engaged in normal marital relations.

It is a baffling mystery how a Church, that holds marriage to be a “sacrament,” can entertain such a misdirected viewpoint (see Heb. 13:4).
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#475254 Sep 6, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>then do it!
I say that He said very little to her at the wedding. Prove otherwise!
I said that she was outside while they were having church inside. Prove me wrong!
I said that she left Jesus, a young child, alone for several days. prove me wrong!
I said after Pentecost, she is never spoken of again in the bible. Prove me wrong.
I said that she never wrote one book in the Bible, Prove me wrong!
I said that she never wrote one letter that Blessed one person. Prove me wrong!
NOW DEAL WITH THOSE WORDS AND DONT ATTACK ME.
I can't Preston. You are simply to much of an idiot. Really. If you can't see your silliness approach to sacred scripture by now then you never will.
Btw, the Gospels were written about 30 yrs after Jesus died. Mary lived another 20 - 40, AFTER the Gospels. You have no clue what she was doing for half her life, Preston. Half her life!
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#475255 Sep 6, 2013
OldJG wrote:
13. Holy water 850 A.D.
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
----for starters: "Roman" Catholic has to do with a diocese and rite. Not the actual Church. The Church is the Church. It is called Catholic, meaning universal. Since that truth squashes many of your teachings about her - particularly the 'whore of Babylon' garbage, i expect you to do the fundie thing and promptly ignore the it and carry on with your propaganda leaflets.
Starters? Are you ashamed to be called Roman Catholic?

Hey cly, notice the date these abominations began. Constantine was the Roman Emperor from 306 to 337. Are the dates a coincidence? DUH!

Finally, are you suggesting my post is not factual? Come on cly, even you can't change history.

“HAVE A BLESSED ”

Since: Aug 08

CHRISTMAS

#475256 Sep 6, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
RoSesz:
Peace
Why put off to eternity?(smile), what you can resolve today?(smiles)
Oh, it may take much time and prayer..., but it does seem to be a rather central topic of concern to many.
The question remains, "Who are Jesus' brothers?"
And don't let Preston's attitude bother you. I don't.
Peace
Well because the whole subject of Mary CaN become a big stumbling block for US

I read

Search
Acts 1:13-14

New International Reader's Version (NIRV) New International Version (NIV)
13 When they arrived, they went upstairs to the room where they were staying. Peter, John, James and Andrew were there. Philip, Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew were there too. So were James, son of Alphaeus, Simon the Zealot, and Judas, son of James. 13 When they arrived, they went upstairs to the room where they were staying. Those present were Peter, John, James and Andrew; Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew; James son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot, and Judas son of James.
14 They all came together regularly to pray. The women joined them too. So did Jesus' mother Mary and his brothers. 14 They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.

Naming the,disciples ..the women and Mary ...AND JESUS BROTHERS .
It's very clear THa t brothers,dies,nit mean disciples as it names,them.

I honestly think whether or not Mary had other children is a foolish thing to argue on and her being a wife to Joseph WOUKD not take away anything from her being the Woman who crushed Satan's head

..And why the,RCC thinks,so when James of Jerusalem is,the brother of Jesus..I have no idea.

None of it has to do with SALVATION..nor the state of my soul .

So you a 'll can fight about it...I m not ..

Peace
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#475257 Sep 6, 2013
OldJG wrote:
13. Holy water 850 A.D.
Answer to propaganda leaflet #1
1. False. Prayers for the dead; Book of Maccabees 12:43 "For if he were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, it would be foolish to pray for the dead. But if he was looking to the splendid reward that is laid up for those who fall asleep in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Therefore, he made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin.(purgatory)

2. Sign of the cross 310 AD? First off, that is still before the Roman Empire legalized Christianity and they were still persecuting Christians.....so Im not sure why you claim its 'Roman' Catholic teaching. Anyway, the sign of the cross was used much earlier when Christians Baptized infants and performed the sign on their forhead. ewtn.com/expert/sign_of_the_cross.htm

3. Wax Voltive candles? No comment.

4. Veneration of saints and Angels. You say 375 AD. I say it was always there in Christianity. But here is an Orthodox site that documents it in 150 AD (long before Constantine was born btw)
"Him indeed we adore as the Son of God; But the Martyrs we love as they deserve, for their surpassing love to their King and Master, as we wish also to be their companions and fellow-disciples"
orthodoxbridge.com/early-evidence-for-the-ven... ?

5. Mary was declared the Mother of God when Christ was born. The Church may have made a formative title in 425 AD, but so what? They were merely stating the obvious. Jesus is God. Mary is His Mother. You don't believe Christ is God?

Location hidden

#475258 Sep 6, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't Preston. You are simply to much of an idiot. Really. If you can't see your silliness approach to sacred scripture by now then you never will.
Btw, the Gospels were written about 30 yrs after Jesus died. Mary lived another 20 - 40, AFTER the Gospels. You have no clue what she was doing for half her life, Preston. Half her life!
you are right, I have no clue as to what she was doing. but on the other hand, NEITHER DO YOU.LOL.

If I am an idiot, what does that say about you, a catholic who just agreed that you couldn't rebut my words?

as far as silliness, you catholics have it all over me, with your many idiotic beleifs

“HAVE A BLESSED ”

Since: Aug 08

CHRISTMAS

#475259 Sep 6, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>thank you. she is back from the hospital and she does have a concussion. they gave her some medicine but rest is what she needs the most. she has vomited and been dizzy. but Cathie is off for the next couple of days and so we will be able to monitor her very closely
Good that her mom will be with her ..And that she,was nit admitted .

Praise,God and we,pray for His healing ..And let her feel better
Tomorrow,
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#475260 Sep 6, 2013
OldJG wrote:
13. Holy water 850 A.D.
propaganda leaflet answers continued:

6. I find no record of Priests beginning to wear vestments in 500 AD. But here is Lev 21:10 "The Priest who is chief among his brethren, upon whose head the anointing oil is poured, and whose been CONSECRATED to wear the garment..."

7. N/A

8. Temporal Papacy power granted by Phocas? I only find any mention of that under radical fundamental websites. It seems what you are trying to imply be this is not truthful.

9. So what?

10.'kissing the Popes feet'. Again, nobody kisses the popes feet or kisses his ring like you want to think, but rather, due to the authority he represents given by Jesus Christ Himself. The Pope can not error on teachings of faith and morals; No Pope has ever gone against sacred scripture or sacred tradition. He's protected. THATS why the honor is given. To the Chair, NOT really the human sitting in it. Got it?

11. N/a

12. We don't adore anyone but the Trinity. So your false tidbit is immaterial.
Holy Relics and there power is Biblical. I gotta pick my boy up from work. Continued later....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 8 hr PopeIsDemon 83,903
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Sat Mr Sir 8,723
Pope challenges Muslims to condemn violence Dec 26 QUITTNER Dec 26 2014 4
Pope's role in Cuba deal fractures Cuban-Americ... Dec 23 woodtick57 4
Cuba Deal Is Major Victory for Pope's Diplomati... Dec 22 John 4
Vatican signals new tone on US nuns Dec 21 Raymond F Rice 2
Pope plays key role in Cuba-US policy shift Dec 21 Doc Proper 12
More from around the web