Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 670351 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

OldJG

Rockford, IL

#475255 Sep 6, 2013
OldJG wrote:
The Roman Catholics did these things and called them Biblical......
1. Prayers for the dead 300 A.D.
2. Sign of the Cross 310 A.D.
3. Wax votive candles 320 A.D.
4. Veneration of saints and angels 375 A.D.
5. Mary declared "Mother of God" 431 A.D.
6. Priests begin to wear vestments 500 A.D.
7. Worship in Latin 600 A.D.
8. Temporal Papacy power granted by Phocas 610 A.D.
9. Feast days in honour of Mary 650 A.D.
10. Kissing of the Pope's feet 709 A.D.
11. Temporal power of Papacy confirmed 750 A.D.
12. Adoration of Mary, saints, images and relics
legalised by 2nd Council of Nicea 788 A.D.
13. Holy water 850 A.D.
14. Veneration of St. Joseph 890 A.D.
15. Baptism of bells 965 A.D.
16. Canonization of dead saints 995 A.D.
17. Fasting on Fridays and Lent 998 A.D.
18. Rosary beads 1090 A.D.
19. Pope Boniface VII decrees celibacy of priests 1097 A.D.
20. Inquisition of heretics 1184 A.D.
21. Sale of Indulgences 1190 A.D.
22. Transubstantiation of the wafer 1215 A.D.
23. Confession to a priest 1215 A.D.
24. Adoration of the host (Wafer God) 1220 A.D.
25. Bible forbidden and placed on index of forbidden books --by Council of Valencia 1229 A.D.
26. Red hats for Cardinals 1245 A.D.
27. Feast of Corpus Christi 1264 A.D.
28. The Miraculous scapular 1287 A.D.
29. Roman church as the only true church 1303 A.D.
30. Cup forbidden to laity at Communion 1415 A.D.
31. Purgatory decreed by Council of Florence 1439 A.D.
32. Doctrine of the seven sacraments 1439 A.D.
33. Tradition of equal authority to the Bible 1545 A.D.
34. Justification by works and not faith alone 1545 A.D.
35. Creed of Pope Plus IV makes all the unscriptural doctrines of Council of Trent binding 1560 A.D.
36. Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary 1854 A.D.
37. Papal infallibility 1870 A.D.
38. Papal decree on mixed marriages -- all marriages not celebrated by a Roman priest declared null and void 1908 A.D.
39. Pope reaffirms Mary as Mother of God 1931 A.D.
40. Assumption of the Virgin Mary 1950 A.D.
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
----for starters: "Roman" Catholic has to do with a diocese and rite. Not the actual Church. The Church is the Church. It is called Catholic, meaning universal. Since that truth squashes many of your teachings about her - particularly the 'whore of Babylon' garbage, i expect you to do the fundie thing and promptly ignore the it and carry on with your propaganda leaflets.
Starters? Are you ashamed to be called Roman Catholic?

Hey cly, notice the date these abominations began. Constantine was the Roman Emperor from 306 to 337. Are the dates a coincidence? DUH!

Finally, are you suggesting my post is not factual? Come on cly, even you can't change history.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#475256 Sep 6, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
RoSesz:
Peace
Why put off to eternity?(smile), what you can resolve today?(smiles)
Oh, it may take much time and prayer..., but it does seem to be a rather central topic of concern to many.
The question remains, "Who are Jesus' brothers?"
And don't let Preston's attitude bother you. I don't.
Peace
Well because the whole subject of Mary CaN become a big stumbling block for US

I read

Search
Acts 1:13-14

New International Reader's Version (NIRV) New International Version (NIV)
13 When they arrived, they went upstairs to the room where they were staying. Peter, John, James and Andrew were there. Philip, Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew were there too. So were James, son of Alphaeus, Simon the Zealot, and Judas, son of James. 13 When they arrived, they went upstairs to the room where they were staying. Those present were Peter, John, James and Andrew; Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew; James son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot, and Judas son of James.
14 They all came together regularly to pray. The women joined them too. So did Jesus' mother Mary and his brothers. 14 They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.

Naming the,disciples ..the women and Mary ...AND JESUS BROTHERS .
It's very clear THa t brothers,dies,nit mean disciples as it names,them.

I honestly think whether or not Mary had other children is a foolish thing to argue on and her being a wife to Joseph WOUKD not take away anything from her being the Woman who crushed Satan's head

..And why the,RCC thinks,so when James of Jerusalem is,the brother of Jesus..I have no idea.

None of it has to do with SALVATION..nor the state of my soul .

So you a 'll can fight about it...I m not ..

Peace
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#475257 Sep 6, 2013
OldJG wrote:
13. Holy water 850 A.D.
25. Bible forbidden and placed on index of forbidden books --by Council of Valencia 1229 A.D.
35. Creed of Pope Plus IV makes all the unscriptural doctrines of Council of Trent binding 1560 A.D.
38. Papal decree on mixed marriages -- all marriages not celebrated by a Roman priest declared null and void 1908 A.D.
Answer to propaganda leaflet #1
1. False. Prayers for the dead; Book of Maccabees 12:43 "For if he were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, it would be foolish to pray for the dead. But if he was looking to the splendid reward that is laid up for those who fall asleep in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Therefore, he made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin.(purgatory)

2. Sign of the cross 310 AD? First off, that is still before the Roman Empire legalized Christianity and they were still persecuting Christians.....so Im not sure why you claim its 'Roman' Catholic teaching. Anyway, the sign of the cross was used much earlier when Christians Baptized infants and performed the sign on their forhead. ewtn.com/expert/sign_of_the_cross.htm

3. Wax Voltive candles? No comment.

4. Veneration of saints and Angels. You say 375 AD. I say it was always there in Christianity. But here is an Orthodox site that documents it in 150 AD (long before Constantine was born btw)
"Him indeed we adore as the Son of God; But the Martyrs we love as they deserve, for their surpassing love to their King and Master, as we wish also to be their companions and fellow-disciples"
orthodoxbridge.com/early-evidence-for-the-ven... ?

5. Mary was declared the Mother of God when Christ was born. The Church may have made a formative title in 425 AD, but so what? They were merely stating the obvious. Jesus is God. Mary is His Mother. You don't believe Christ is God?

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#475258 Sep 6, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't Preston. You are simply to much of an idiot. Really. If you can't see your silliness approach to sacred scripture by now then you never will.
Btw, the Gospels were written about 30 yrs after Jesus died. Mary lived another 20 - 40, AFTER the Gospels. You have no clue what she was doing for half her life, Preston. Half her life!
you are right, I have no clue as to what she was doing. but on the other hand, NEITHER DO YOU.LOL.

If I am an idiot, what does that say about you, a catholic who just agreed that you couldn't rebut my words?

as far as silliness, you catholics have it all over me, with your many idiotic beleifs

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#475259 Sep 6, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>thank you. she is back from the hospital and she does have a concussion. they gave her some medicine but rest is what she needs the most. she has vomited and been dizzy. but Cathie is off for the next couple of days and so we will be able to monitor her very closely
Good that her mom will be with her ..And that she,was nit admitted .

Praise,God and we,pray for His healing ..And let her feel better
Tomorrow,
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#475260 Sep 6, 2013
OldJG wrote:
13. Holy water 850 A.D.
propaganda leaflet answers continued:

6. I find no record of Priests beginning to wear vestments in 500 AD. But here is Lev 21:10 "The Priest who is chief among his brethren, upon whose head the anointing oil is poured, and whose been CONSECRATED to wear the garment..."

7. N/A

8. Temporal Papacy power granted by Phocas? I only find any mention of that under radical fundamental websites. It seems what you are trying to imply be this is not truthful.

9. So what?

10.'kissing the Popes feet'. Again, nobody kisses the popes feet or kisses his ring like you want to think, but rather, due to the authority he represents given by Jesus Christ Himself. The Pope can not error on teachings of faith and morals; No Pope has ever gone against sacred scripture or sacred tradition. He's protected. THATS why the honor is given. To the Chair, NOT really the human sitting in it. Got it?

11. N/a

12. We don't adore anyone but the Trinity. So your false tidbit is immaterial.
Holy Relics and there power is Biblical. I gotta pick my boy up from work. Continued later....

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#475261 Sep 6, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer to propaganda leaflet #1
1. False. Prayers for the dead; Book of Maccabees 12:43 "For if he were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, it would be foolish to pray for the dead. But if he was looking to the splendid reward that is laid up for those who fall asleep in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Therefore, he made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin.(purgatory)
2. Sign of the cross 310 AD? First off, that is still before the Roman Empire legalized Christianity and they were still persecuting Christians.....so Im not sure why you claim its 'Roman' Catholic teaching. Anyway, the sign of the cross was used much earlier when Christians Baptized infants and performed the sign on their forhead. ewtn.com/expert/sign_of_the_cross.htm
3. Wax Voltive candles? No comment.
4. Veneration of saints and Angels. You say 375 AD. I say it was always there in Christianity. But here is an Orthodox site that documents it in 150 AD (long before Constantine was born btw)
"Him indeed we adore as the Son of God; But the Martyrs we love as they deserve, for their surpassing love to their King and Master, as we wish also to be their companions and fellow-disciples"
orthodoxbridge.com/early-evidence-for-the-ven... ?
5. Mary was declared the Mother of God when Christ was born. The Church may have made a formative title in 425 AD, but so what? They were merely stating the obvious. Jesus is God. Mary is His Mother. You don't believe Christ is God?
Thank you Clay for that link about Orthodoxy in 150 AD.I am surprised you didn't use a Catholic site to prove your case.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#475262 Sep 6, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>thank you. she is back from the hospital and she does have a concussion. they gave her some medicine but rest is what she needs the most. she has vomited and been dizzy. but Cathie is off for the next couple of days and so we will be able to monitor her very closely
~~~

My prayers is that your loved one will fully recover (be made whole)

and suffer no lasting effects from the accident..

It is good that shes is with you and your wife, that can encourage her

and help her to become the best that God has placed with in her the

ability to be.

May God turn this insident around to her good.

We do have his promise..

Rom_8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

2Co_9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#475263 Sep 6, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>NOPE. HER POST NEVER NEEDED TO BE EDITED BY ME OR ANYONE ELSE.
then it wouldn't have came from her. I loved it, if you didn't, WHO ARE YOU?
you are nothing but a blowhard to me and a very contemptible person
I hope you can watch this video.
It's the old way of singing gospel.

I'll Lay My Crown At The Masters Feet

“What are you looking at?”

Albuquerque, NM

#475264 Sep 6, 2013
Full of Love wrote:
<quoted text>
Snipped of your nonsense.
I did just what the WORD OF GOD say's;
Matthew 10:14
And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.
Toodles.
You mean did what the word of man says....

Buh-bye.
headlines

AOL

#475265 Sep 6, 2013

VATICAN -- ISRAEL at table RE: Temple Mount --

http://youtu.be/Qt9kEQB4ti8

“What are you looking at?”

Albuquerque, NM

#475266 Sep 6, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
----for starters: "Roman" Catholic has to do with a diocese and rite. Not the actual Church. The Church is the Church. It is called Catholic, meaning universal. Since that truth squashes many of your teachings about her - particularly the 'whore of Babylon' garbage, i expect you to do the fundie thing and promptly ignore the it and carry on with your propaganda leaflets.
I see what you are doing....*smiles*.....it won't work....

With your logic above, meaning the "Church" is the community of believers - including your denomination.

But you really don't mean this, huh? You only refer to the "Church" as the social environment within Catholicism.

Which actually changes the meaning of the "Church".

Why did you do this?

Location hidden

#475267 Sep 6, 2013
Proverbs 16

17 The highway of the upright is to depart from evil: he that keepeth his way preserveth his soul.

18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

19 Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.

20 He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he.

21 The wise in heart shall be called prudent: and the sweetness of the lips increaseth learning.

22 Understanding is a wellspring of life unto him that hath it: but the instruction of fools is folly.

23 The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips.

24 Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

25 There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

26 He that laboureth laboureth for himself; for his mouth craveth it of him.

27 An ungodly man diggeth up evil: and in his lips there is as a burning fire.

28 A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends.

29 A violent man enticeth his neighbour, and leadeth him into the way that is not good.

30 He shutteth his eyes to devise froward things: moving his lips he bringeth evil to pass.

31 The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness.
Sick

Oklahoma City, OK

#475268 Sep 6, 2013
It was never immaculate conception what a lie Yahweh would never trespass against A woman And put A seed into her....they had sex........

The roman catholic church has done nothing but lie and change the scriptures not once but many times.

They done away with the laws they changed the sabbath they done away with feast days for pagan holidays sick evil holidays Like Easter Christmas the worst of all.....Satan got you worshiping a tree.....

And you all know how I feel about the name Yahweh is not A god man made him A god by changing his name and no it is not a translation.

Satan Is leading this government and this world into destruction.All in the name of religion.

What matters Is to love What is Love It is the keeping of the law the ones that were nailed to the cross........I got news in heaven or the new earth you will be taught the laws of Yahweh And you will live by them and learn to love them As I do..

With A war About to break out and could turn into world war three And a end of mankind.Now is the time to repent of your god worship And your sins.

Yahweh will allow these thing to take place but he will win the final war.....Praise Yahweh....the roman catholic church Is trash nothing but evil.....And is to blame for the world being the way it is......the house where Satan dwells.

And the message will be preached to all the world and then the end will come......Praise Yahweh And glory to Yehsua...My fathers return draws nigh.

Nothing to fear only to rejoice

The reason the world is the way it is because you do not keep the law the old testament.

Location hidden

#475269 Sep 6, 2013
Isaiah 5
20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

21 Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#475270 Sep 6, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical fundie response when confronted with the truth. You ignore it and condemn everyone to hell.
Where's your reason and logic? The Bible didn't pop out of the sky. The Apostles didn't just hand out their writings without explaining the contents.
I tell you, if the evangelicals scenario on history and Christianity was truth, then Christ was a joke and His Ministry is even more of a joke.
All you're doing is forming a religion based on whatever you interpret from someone elses Holy Scriptures. Then you are calling this religion 'Christian'.
You guys got no case. I concur that God lifted you up when you were down in the dumps. After all, if He didn't do it because you weren't Catholic, He'd be a fraud too. We understand him to be infinite Love and Mercy. it makes perfect sense that you'd experience this infinite Love too.
Get out of the scripture interpretation business. You are not an authority on it. You're outside of His actual Church. You don't believe the same things that the Apostles taught about the Church.
The Eucharist is the pinnacle of Christianity on Earth, and you take it and throw it on the ground.
You advised me to get out of the scripture interpretation business. My friend,unlike you and the rest of the poor Catholic adherents,I do not interpret the scriptures. I let the scriptures interpret themselves. That way you won't go wrong and start butchering Gods word as the Catholics are guilty of. As for the rest of your statement I will not waste my time responding to it because just as Michael refused to argue or debate with Satan because he knew how fruitless and useless it would have been,I know the futility of arguing with one that follows the false religion of Catholicism.

“YESHUA IS LORD”

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#475271 Sep 6, 2013
OldJG wrote:
THE BABYLONIAN QUEEN OF HEAVEN:
Was conceived immaculatelyÂ…was never defiled by sinÂ…never lost her virginity.
Had a son called "the cleanser from sin" and the "unpolluted god".
Crushed the head of the serpent as it bruised her heel.
Was carried to heaven by her son after her death and resurrection.
Was both co-redeemer and judge who stood by her son as he judged the dead.
Both he and she were endowed with the keys to open the portals of heaven.
Had blue eyes and golden hair just like the madonna images we see today.
Had a sun-disk or sun rays around her head, with the moon under her feet.
Even Boo Boo the fool should be able to see that the Catholic church was born in the ditches of hell itself. And compare the VESTAL VIRGINS practice to NUNS of the Catholic church. I don't understand why most of the practices of the Catholic church was adopted from PAGAN RELIGIONS.

Location hidden

#475272 Sep 6, 2013
Full of Love wrote:
<quoted text>
I aint goin there Oxbow.
I didn't just fall off the turnip trunk don'tcha know.,I know what your up to.
One of the best save-face I have seen!!!!

“YESHUA IS LORD”

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#475273 Sep 6, 2013
Christ stated that the gates of hell would NOT prevail against His church. Anyone that has spiritual eyes to see can see that the Catholic church, metaphorically and symbolically speaking, are the gates of hell.

Location hidden

#475274 Sep 6, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>NOPE. HER POST NEVER NEEDED TO BE EDITED BY ME OR ANYONE ELSE.
then it wouldn't have came from her. I loved it, if you didn't, WHO ARE YOU?
you are nothing but a blowhard to me and a very contemptible person
I see exactly what you are!!!!! You did edit and did correct her degrading language...after it was pointed out to you how she portrayed God in a very demeaning manner........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope discusses climate, immigrants in historic ... (Sep '15) 18 hr WelbyMD 47
News Where Is the Place for Devout Gay Families in t... (Oct '15) Feb 17 True Christian wi... 49
News Vatican will finance adult stem cell research (Apr '10) Feb 12 Pessimistic1 29
News Prayers To Mother Mary 'Cured Lung Cancer' (Jan '10) Feb 11 Phart Girlishly 323
News Pope sings on CD for charity (Dec '09) Feb 11 Phart Musically 31
News Woman Knocks Over Pope Benedict XVI At Christma... (Dec '09) Feb 11 Phart Athletically 165
News Pope illuminates 'tree' via Tablet (Dec '11) Feb 11 Phart Seasonally 23
More from around the web