Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 603259 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#473985 Aug 29, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
When did the term "Roman Catholic Church" first come into being?
Answer
It is not possible to give an exact year when the Catholic Church began to be called the "Roman Catholic Church," but it is possible to approximate it. The term originates as an insult created by Anglicans who wished to refer to themselves as Catholic. They thus coined the term "Roman Catholic" to distinguish those in union with Rome from themselves and to create a sense in which they could refer to themselves as Catholics (by attempting to deprive actual Catholics to the right to the term).
Different variants of the "Roman" insult appeared at different times. The earliest form was the noun "Romanist" (one belonging to the Catholic Church), which appeared in England about 1515-1525. The next to develop was the adjective "Romish" (similar to something done or believed in the Catholic Church), which appeared around 1525-1535. Next came the noun "Roman Catholic" (one belonging to the Catholic Church), which was coined around 1595-1605. Shortly thereafter came the verb "to Romanize" (to make someone a Catholic or to become a Catholic), which appeared around 1600-10. Between 1665 and 1675 we got the noun "Romanism" (the system of Catholic beliefs and practices), and finally we got a latecomer term about 1815-1825, the noun "Roman Catholicism," a synonym for the earlier "Romanism."
A similar complex of insults arose around "pope." About 1515-25 the Anglicans coined the term "papist" and later its derivative "papism." A quick follow-up, in 1520-1530, was the adjective "popish." Next came "popery" (1525-1535), then "papistry" (1540-1550), with its later derivatives, "papistical" and "papistic." (Source: Random House Webster's College Dictionary, 1995 ed.)
This complex of insults is revealing as it shows the depths of animosity English Protestants had toward the Church. No other religious body (perhaps no other group at all, even national or racial) has such a complex of insults against it woven into the English language as does the Catholic Church. Even today many Protestants who have no idea what the origin of the term is cannot bring themselves to say "Catholic" without qualifying it or replacing it with an insult.
http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/when-d...
The Catholic Church is made up of various rights and All are in communion with the Successor of Peter who Presides in Rome. One Church. One Baptism, One Faith, One Lord. The church the ground and pillar the truth. The Catholic Church is the church established by Christ. Many will say Lord Lord and He will say, "I never knew you."
All I know is what I learned From the Church itself ..And the Catechism as,I showed you ..
Can't help what the British called them ..though I thought that was
Papists,...
I know they broke from the Roman CATHOlic Church with Henry st their head ..thought they called THEM SELVES....CHURCH OF ENGLAND ..though their practices were Catholic in nature ..
Your book if it doesn't use Roman is obviously newer...But it most definitely. The name the RCC called ITSELF ..
Cracking the code

Bronx, NY

#473986 Aug 29, 2013
Why does it seem that many are trying to attack Catholicism along with the followers of it? Calling them anti-christs basically. Is that what Christs wants? From what I've learned here over time,it seems like they make the most sense because it's confirmed biblically. I didn't think so at first to be honest but seriously have done some soul searching about it. See,the thing is,Christian denominations don't all agree among their own groups,depending on what location they are in. One town Christian group of the same denomination beliefs one thing but in a neighboring town,they believe or interpret differently. Odd if you ask me. At least Catholics believe the same and are together and solid in their beliefs. God did choose a sinner named Peter to run his church. He was a sinner like anyone else but God did promise that his Holy Spirit would guide it no matter what. It can't be taken down because Hod say hello won't prevail against it even. Seems like it is true to the bible go,even as far as church laws changing. Jesus did give him that authority. Well, I hope people could just get along. We must pray to the holy spirit first before reading the bible. Thanks all for leading my way to my Lord God. I have been a stubborn person my whole life and rejected Jesus my savior. I have been changed by his grace.ironically by Catholics to whom I used to disagree with. I couldn't deny the truth or call to holiness any longer. My life was so empty and full of ugly sin.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#473987 Aug 29, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~~
THE BIBLE SAYS
Mat 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
NOTE
Mat 24:14 And -->this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
Mat 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place,(whoso readeth, let him understand:)
~~~

I. The King is our Lord Jesus Christ, NOT IN ROME ITALY

II. The seat of this kingdom is the soul. IT IS A SPIRITUAL KINGDOM

III. The spirit of this kingdom is wise and beneficent and holy. Every kingdom has its peculiar character. IT HAS NO BONDAGE TO THE CORRUPTIBLE MEN ...ATTACHED TO ROME.

IV. The progress of His kingdom is unostentatious; irresistible, yet noiseless, like many of the mightier forces in nature. THE DRIVING FORCE OF THE KINGDOM IS THE POWER OF THE HOLY GHOST..

Act_1:8 But ye shall receive -->power,<---

-->POWER<--- DEFINED IN GREEK

G1411
&#948;&#965;&#769; &#957;&#945;&#956; &#953;&#962;
dunamis
doo'-nam-is
From G1410; force (literally or figuratively); specifically miraculous power (usually by implication a miracle itself):- ability, abundance, meaning, might (-ily,-y,-y deed),(worker of) miracle (-s), power, strength, violence, mighty (wonderful) work.

after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and

ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

IV. The boundaries of His kingdom are the boundaries of the dwellings of human kind.

1. Submit to Christ as a King.

2. Seek the extension of His kingdom by personal exertions, by pecuniary contributions, by payer.(Anon.)
Dust Storm

Pennock, MN

#473988 Aug 29, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
All I know is what I learned From the Church itself ..And the Catechism as,I showed you ..
Can't help what the British called them ..though I thought that was
Papists,...
I know they broke from the Roman CATHOlic Church with Henry st their head ..thought they called THEM SELVES....CHURCH OF ENGLAND ..though their practices were Catholic in nature ..
Your book if it doesn't use Roman is obviously newer...But it most definitely. The name the RCC called ITSELF ..
The correct term is the Catholic church. There are many who have attempted to call themselves Catholics, but people will ask are you Catholic? If it makes you feel better to use the term Roman fine but you would get great resistance to that term from an eastern rite Catholic. It may be ok for some black people to call themselves the N word or maybe you are comfortable calling a Jew the K word or any of the many colorful adjectives invented to demean a race or religion. The way one says it and who is saying it means alot. Many times on this thread something like this was said. "YOU ROMANISTS!" YOU ROMAN CATHOLICS" Said in a very derogatory fashion made to insult. No church document coming from the Vatican says the Roman Catholic Church it simply says the Church or the Catholic Church. No Pope said The Roman Catholic Church is the only true Church. The Church has always believed, tuaght and professed it is the church. Did you never profess you believe in One Holy Apostolic Church? Did you profess to believe in the truths of the creed and all the truths which the Holy Catholic church teaches? Did it say Roman Catholic? Sure there are Catholics of the Roman Rite, but officially the church is the Catholic Church as Ignatious of Antioch called it. The universal church founded by Christ.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#473989 Aug 29, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>The Catholic Church I attended for 5 years was called on its sign: Holy Family Roman Catholic Church.Some Catholics are not at all adverse to using Roman Catholic to describe their church.But you see the truth is Clay, the Church in Rome or rather the Vatican,is the Roman Catholic Church.Have a good Night!
"The term Roman Catholic is not used by the Church herself; It is a relatively modern term, and one, moreover, that is confined largely to the English language. Nowhere in the 16 documents of the second Vatican Council will you find the term 'Roman Catholic'. Pope Paul VI signed all the documents of Vatican II as 'I, Paul, Bishop of the Catholic Church'
.
There are references to the Roman Curia, the Roman Missal, the Roman rite etc but when the adjective 'Roman' is applied to the Church herself, it simply refers to the Diocese of Rome.
Although the Diocese of Rome is central to the Catholic Church, this does not mean that the Roman rite, or as it is sometimes called, the Latin rite, is co-terminus with the Church as a whole; that would mean neglecting the Bryzantine, Chaldean, Maronite or other Oriental rites which are ALL VERY MUCH A PART OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH today, as in the past.

"So the proper name of the Universal Church is NOT Roman Catholic Church. Far from it. That term caught on mostly in English speaking countries; it was promoted mostly by Anglicans.'

Saint Cyril of Jerusalem aptly wrote in the 4th century:
"Inquire not simply where the Lords house is, for the sects of the profane also make an attempt to call their own dens the houses of the Lord; nor inquire merely where the church is, BUT WHERE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS. For this is the peculiar name of this Holy Body. The Mother of all, which is the SPOUSE OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST"

ewtn.com/faith/teachings/churb3.htm
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#473990 Aug 29, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
All I know is what I learned From the Church itself ..And the Catechism as,I showed you ..
Can't help what the British called them ..though I thought that was
Papists,...
I know they broke from the Roman CATHOlic Church with Henry st their head ..thought they called THEM SELVES....CHURCH OF ENGLAND ..though their practices were Catholic in nature ..
Your book if it doesn't use Roman is obviously newer...But it most definitely. The name the RCC called ITSELF ..
Face it,'Roman' creates an image of a tyranny with swords and shields; ready to conquer all of Protestanism, with our new Constantine, Pope Frances! lol
That's why fundies cant post a letter without emphasizing Roman. It gives the impression they!

It should even be more amazing to you now, why all the false Pastors on here, are so sure the Book of Revelation is referring to the Whore and Harlot as the ROMAN Catholic Church.
The whore and harlot is the evil Roman Empire - which we miraculously converted to Christianity!

You are sincere, Rose. Stay away from fanatical Christianity. Its a cancer to truth.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#473991 Aug 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Face it,'Roman' creates an image of a tyranny with swords and shields; ready to conquer all of Protestanism, with our new Constantine, Pope Frances! lol
That's why fundies cant post a letter without emphasizing Roman. It gives the impression they!
It should even be more amazing to you now, why all the false Pastors on here, are so sure the Book of Revelation is referring to the Whore and Harlot as the ROMAN Catholic Church.
The whore and harlot is the evil Roman Empire - which we miraculously converted to Christianity!
You are sincere, Rose. Stay away from fanatical Christianity. Its a cancer to truth.
why is it that your words never align with what God says to us?

Message to the Church in Laodicea
14"To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God, says this: 15'I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. 16'So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.

Romans 12:11
Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.
Clay

United States

#473992 Aug 29, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Oops about the statue! I have an angel statue, a Mary statue, and a Jesus statue showing His Sacred Heart. They are on my front porch. They remind me of heaven. Something good to think about, no? I don't understand why anyone would be so terrified of statues unless they have such little trust in their own faculties that they feel they might, without realizing it, forget they're just statues and fall into worshiping them.
I hear what you're sayin. Accusations of statue worship are so far fetched that Catholics pay little attention to these absurd claims by Pad and other fundies. But the reality is, they convinced themselves its true. So I guess its gotta be confronted by us even though we cringe at how people could be so stupid to believe we think the statue is a god. That's the religion they created. They completely removed reason and logic and embraced ignorance. It is heartbreaking.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#473993 Aug 29, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
The correct term is the Catholic church. There are many who have attempted to call themselves Catholics, but people will ask are you Catholic? If it makes you feel better to use the term Roman fine but you would get great resistance to that term from an eastern rite Catholic. It may be ok for some black people to call themselves the N word or maybe you are comfortable calling a Jew the K word or any of the many colorful adjectives invented to demean a race or religion. The way one says it and who is saying it means alot. Many times on this thread something like this was said. "YOU ROMANISTS!" YOU ROMAN CATHOLICS" Said in a very derogatory fashion made to insult. No church document coming from the Vatican says the Roman Catholic Church it simply says the Church or the Catholic Church. No Pope said The Roman Catholic Church is the only true Church. The Church has always believed, tuaght and professed it is the church. Did you never profess you believe in One Holy Apostolic Church? Did you profess to believe in the truths of the creed and all the truths which the Holy Catholic church teaches? Did it say Roman Catholic? Sure there are Catholics of the Roman Rite, but officially the church is the Catholic Church as Ignatious of Antioch called it. The universal church founded by Christ.
Your picking the,wing fight here..I have no idea on your talking points,.

I learned from wonderful nuns,who were,second mothers,to us..And the priests,who gave us,MAss and instruction ..we were Roman Catholics ..period ..no derision..unless you are,accusing the nuns,..tbd priests,and the Bishop who confirmed me....of LYING

The head of your CHUrch is the Vatican in Rome .

WHY is,it important to you folks,who are,so proud of your pope....to distance yourselves,from the,Holy See...

What's the purpose,.....it seems kind of strange to me .

I learned Holy Roman Catholic Church ...
It's in my CATECHISM ..as,I showed you ...

I'm not lying ..nor saying it derogatorially..in any way .

I learned,Roman Catholic ..the,Church head is,in Rome .

It's,Roman Catholic as,far as,I'm concerned...

Now,all of a,sudden it's,derogatory

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#473994 Aug 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Face it,'Roman' creates an image of a tyranny with swords and shields; ready to conquer all of Protestanism, with our new Constantine, Pope Frances! lol
That's why fundies cant post a letter without emphasizing Roman. It gives the impression they!
It should even be more amazing to you now, why all the false Pastors on here, are so sure the Book of Revelation is referring to the Whore and Harlot as the ROMAN Catholic Church.
The whore and harlot is the evil Roman Empire - which we miraculously converted to Christianity!
You are sincere, Rose. Stay away from fanatical Christianity. Its a cancer to truth.
So it's,a OR...POLITICAL talking point ..did the name change,legally .

It was the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH for ages,....it still is,..

Unless the Pope,is,planning a,move to Jerusalem?????

Is that it???

If not its,the Roman Catholic Church ...

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#473995 Aug 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Face it,'Roman' creates an image of a tyranny with swords and shields; ready to conquer all of Protestanism, with our new Constantine, Pope Frances! lol
That's why fundies cant post a letter without emphasizing Roman. It gives the impression they!
It should even be more amazing to you now, why all the false Pastors on here, are so sure the Book of Revelation is referring to the Whore and Harlot as the ROMAN Catholic Church.
The whore and harlot is the evil Roman Empire - which we miraculously converted to Christianity!
You are sincere, Rose. Stay away from fanatical Christianity. Its a cancer to truth.
I'm telling you Clay ..US cradle Catholics,and every CATHOlic I knew,until I heard it on this,forum ....
From you guys ...call it the,Roman Catholic Church ..
Just reading that CATECHISM ..which I learned every day for ten years..
The words came back ..they are there in black and white .

ROMSN CATHOLIC CHURCH

That's,not any part of fundamentalism ..or Protestantism .
Lou

Brookneal, VA

#473996 Aug 29, 2013
Tyrone Neuse wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree and I find it sad that Pope Moron XVI was even chosen as Pope. The guy is an embarrassment and needs to step down. His statements are ridiculous and improper.
I'll bet you voted Obama.
Lou

Brookneal, VA

#473997 Aug 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear what you're sayin. Accusations of statue worship are so far fetched that Catholics pay little attention to these absurd claims by Pad and other fundies. But the reality is, they convinced themselves its true. So I guess its gotta be confronted by us even though we cringe at how people could be so stupid to believe we think the statue is a god. That's the religion they created. They completely removed reason and logic and embraced ignorance. It is heartbreaking.
Tell them that when you end up in a Catholic Hospital.
Lou

Brookneal, VA

#473998 Aug 29, 2013
Say what you want about the Pope but the Catholics in the US have 511 Hospitals out of the 5759 hospitals total and they have 34,438 Private Schools/ there are 85,393 Public Schools. The graduation rate at the Catholic schools is 40% better than the Public schools. You are welcome to check these figures and then go ahead and bad mouth the Pope.
marge

Ames, IA

#473999 Aug 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear what you're sayin. Accusations of statue worship are so far fetched that Catholics pay little attention to these absurd claims by Pad and other fundies. But the reality is, they convinced themselves its true. So I guess its gotta be confronted by us even though we cringe at how people could be so stupid to believe we think the statue is a god. That's the religion they created. They completely removed reason and logic and embraced ignorance. It is heartbreaking.
Do you need them is the question, we have the fullness without them is why I ask.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#474000 Aug 29, 2013
The Catlicks say Peter was the greatest of the disciples, in that Christ made him the first pope....if that be so, why, two chapters later, did they ask "At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"

But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;

Minister: an attendant, i.e.(genitive case) a waiter (at table or in other menial duties); specially, a Christian teacher and pastor (technically, a deacon or deaconess):--deacon, minister, servant.

That is not what does a pope!!!!!!!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#474001 Aug 29, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you need them is the question, we have the fullness without them is why I ask.
Ah have a problem...I do!!! Ah can't tell which fits you better...your foot-in-mouth, or egg all over face!!!!!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#474002 Aug 29, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
So a rheumatologist healed you?
Right?
==========

I'm going to complex this a bit. Please bear with me. To me there are 2 worlds or dimensions. One is the physical world. It operates by physical laws and can usually be reasonably proven through logic and the scientific method.

But there is also a spiritual dimension or world. It operateds according to spiritual laws. Man ( theologians)intellectualize and think they know its nature and laws but in their finite mind only grasp a small piece. The spiritual dimension does not operate by physical laws. Logic will not prove it. The scientific method is useless with regard to it.Science will never prove spiritual realities.I say this as a student of philosophy and as one who has used the scientific method.

The answer is I am partly a physical being.I exist in a physical world. The rheumatologist is healing me through physical treatment and physical medicine.

But who moves the mover? 2 years and none out of a string of doctors thinks of referring me to a rheumatologist. 3 hospitals. 3 years. How many doctors? Teams of doctors.Nothing. All I wanted is a diagnosis.

My wife has 2 monasteries as well as many from here, and others praying.Suddenly someone thinks .Refer him to a rheumatologist. Where did that come from after 2 years? The same Dr who said well we may never figure it out. A doctor from one of the top 20 ranked hospitals for pulmonary in the country. He couldn't figure out a diagnosis.So so many tests on many machines. The best science has to offer..I see a "rheumatologist" and am diagnosed in 3 days.

Use the scientific method on an experiment with prayer and you will prove nothing.Pursue this philosophically :for instance why did I get it, why doesn't God heal everyone ,etc, and you will get lost.

Look at it through spiritual eyes (the Orthodox call it nous) and you get it. Christ healed me.I have no doubt about this. As a thinking educated person I have no doubt about this.

There is a story in the Bible where a blind man is healed. The village interrogates him. Asks him a thousand questions- political, theological,philosophical. The blind man answers "All I know is that I was blind and now I can see"

Praise my Savior Jesus Christ!!! People can give me philosophy and reasons. He gives me life.

hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#474003 Aug 30, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm older than you are ..this,was MY CATECHISM
See,number 133
IT IS NOT PROTESTANTS,WHO CALLED THE CHURCH ..ROMAN CATHOLIC
In the Apostles Creed, recited every day at Mass, it is referred to as the "Holy Catholic Church"!!
Clay

United States

#474004 Aug 30, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm telling you Clay ..US cradle Catholics,and every CATHOlic I knew,until I heard it on this,forum ....
From you guys ...call it the,Roman Catholic Church ..
Just reading that CATECHISM ..which I learned every day for ten years..
The words came back ..they are there in black and white .
ROMSN CATHOLIC CHURCH
That's,not any part of fundamentalism ..or Protestantism .
The reasons why the Catholic Church will say 'Roman Catholic' is because they are announcing the rite being practiced. Its not because its a separate Church from the rest of the Catholic Churches. And its no more truer than the 22 other Catholic Churches of the East.

The title has really never been an issue Imo, until fanatics started preaching that the ROMAN Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon. They obviously have an agenda by stressing the Roman adjective.
Just like our Bible, fundies will tell us what we believe and what we are to be called, regardless of the actual truth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 17 hr Mr Sir 9,679
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 17 hr Passing thru 84,403
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory Sun Paul Porter1 421
News Ahead of pope's visit to US, some friction over... Aug 26 Belle Sexton 3
News Ahead of pope's visit to US, some friction over... Aug 25 Abrahamanic Relig... 1
News Pope Benedict is living out old age calmly (Aug '08) Aug 24 The Oracle 73
News LGBT equality groups getting shut out of Pope F... Aug 23 Fundiementally ill 8
More from around the web