Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 670239 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Pad

Rockford, IL

#473957 Aug 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
The question should be: "Does the title 'Roman Catholic' have anything to do with the Papacy?
Protestants will unanimously say yes. My research shows that Catholic teaching may not agree. But I need more data.
So far I haven't seen anything that shows the Bishop of Rome being the reason we're 'Roman Catholic'. I've heard 'the diocese of Rome' and the Roman rite we practice, but not the Papacy itself because all the Catholic Churches (22 ) follow Pope Francis..
Interesting to learn.
The Catholic Church I attended for 5 years was called on its sign: Holy Family Roman Catholic Church.Some Catholics are not at all adverse to using Roman Catholic to describe their church.But you see the truth is Clay, the Church in Rome or rather the Vatican,is the Roman Catholic Church.Have a good Night!
Pad

Rockford, IL

#473958 Aug 29, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Had Jesus actually lived my guess is his last words on the cross would have been "There will be many lies told of me, but I want all of you to know I never betrayed the Jews. I am and always was a Jew faithful ONLY to Judaism."
June, naivete is not becoming of you. The JEWS are the ones who instigated the death of Jesus.When the criminal Barabbas was standing alongside Jesus,and Pontius Pilate asked the people to choose whom they may FREE from Execution,they all cried Barabbas,not Jesus.

Why? Because the Jews especially the Sanhedrin,in no way thought that Jesus supported their way of life,and that he was a charlatan,a rebel,and a deceiver.Jesus realistically being viewed in that negative manner by the Sanhedrin,never said or did anything that would please them.Everything He did was like rubbing salt into the wound.

So for Him to shout on the Cross that he was totally for the Sanhedrin and a true Jew,would have been wasted futile words.But what Jesus did say"Father forgive them for they know not what they do." "I thirst","Today you shall be with me in paradise."Thief.
"Father,why have You forsaken Me." "Mother behold your son,John behold your Mother." and finally, "It IS FINISHED". All of what He said proves that He did not die on that Cross for political,social or even religious reasons.But that He died because He would redeem all the human race by that crucifixion.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#473959 Aug 29, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
The Rosary is not made up of just one prayer. I bet you have never listened to an entire Rosary if you think Buddhist chants sound the same as the Rosary. The whole activity of the Rosary is meditating on the life of Christ. There is nothing wrong with that whether someone is touching beads or sticks or rocks while doing so.
Also, the Rosary goes way way back to the OT times where it had it's beginnings in the recitation of the Psalms.
And the scapular has it's roots back in the OT times as well.
And candles and incense were used in the Temple of the OT.
You trying to make these things out as something evil is not working.
I can recite the Rosary,even though I have not done so for years.I know what the mysteries are and so on. The Buddhist beads are accompanied by the 5 pillars of their beliefs,which by the way do not include any faith in GOD or a Creator.The chants are of those tenets of articles of faith,that they repeat,also a mantra is included.The Hindus also recite tenets of faith while using their beads,and use incantations to their myriad of gods and goddesses,especially Krishna the main god,similar to the Supreme Being.

The Muslims recite their 5 pillars of faith,and their commandments that include the fact they must go on a Haj to Mecca.Muslims have many prayers as well to Allah,and invoke the name of Mohammad.

Chanting ,ringing bells and the use of incense is similar in all those expressions of belief.

I have attended Rosary recitations at funerals,and sat through them,showing respect to the ones who died who were relatives,friends and whatever.

I am not trying to make anything evil,I am showing you the similarity,that is painfully indicative of all 4 expressions of religion in general.

It pains all of us who are not RC that the RCC has so many similar practices to other religions.It is a continual stumbling block to many.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#473960 Aug 29, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Same old Protestant Propaganda BS, that you have become famous for Ox! The result for you is always the same". You are like the Apostles, before their TRUE Conversion to Jesus Christ1!! "YOU FISH AND CATCH "NOTHING"!!!!!
You make your father proud for calling the truth in the English dictionary, your poop approved Bible, the catlick encyclopeepee, the teaching of catlicks and the SBC, "Protestant Propaganda BS"....

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#473961 Aug 29, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>It is more than scary.When I heard that Russian ships were going to be positioned,it goes beyond Obama's credibility.We all need to back him if he decides to remove those ships and back off.He is not weak if he stands down,it is more than important for our country to avoid a world combustion over the Syrians.
Even though McCain claims that those fighting Assad are Syrian Free Army and not Al Qaida,we do not know how entrenched Extremists are on both sides.It is a Sunni, Shi'ite struggle as well.But it is also the Hezbollah and Iranian intervention,supporting Assad,and radical along with regular Muslims on the opposite.
It is extremely troublesome,but any military strike on our part when our leaders claim it is an impeachable offense to interfere with a nation that is not threatening our country,should declare us hypocritical to our own laws.
Did you read THAT Aish article

In the second part it may give a hint ..

Anyway look what has,happened in Egypt who HAD BEEN ok with the US
And ISRAEL.

Our foreign policy is very odd to say the least ..

Both our leaders claimed a pres who started a war without Congress
Unless we were in danger ...WOuld be illegal ..

I still think the weapons were smuggled out of Iraq to begin with ..

For some reason..they think this is important to sell us on ...And well..last time they sold us,something..we git health care ..may be..sorta..parts of ..

And I don't trust Russia,...I think she is one of the county's in Ezekiel ..so is Syria ..I think ...

We shall see ..we SHOULD let them fight it out ..the opposition is extremist ..

But I feel bad for the folks,as always,caught in the Middle ..

And ISRAEL is,always a target

This guy's site is great ..I get the emails

http://flashtrafficblog.wordpress.com/2013/08...

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#473962 Aug 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholic Church is not wealthy like her critics wish. The vast majority of the 'wealth' people attribute to them is in the form of real estate.
Again, if you are taking in consideration the artifacts they own... Forget it. No individual owns those. The Church does. How do you liquidate the Chalice used by Gregory the Great or the one used by Pope John Paul II? There priceless items.
Also, I don't think you realize how much it cost to run the Church. Sunday collections don't cover the maintenance alone.
What about All the choices..tiaras ..art ..thrones..

You think Christ wants those ..

And as,I have said before the Church Sells off real estate ..the Churches out from under the faithful

We,all could do better .And YOU a 're nit responsible

THE CHURCH IS ..

just look at it through His,eyes,..just saying ..

Peter would NOT sit on that throne

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#473963 Aug 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't been to a Sat morning Mass in awhile. I think ills be there this Saturday though. I try and go about 3 times a week total. I'm not sure about tonight either.
I think we should open up a discussion amongst the Catholics on here about our title 'Roman'. My research shows the title is due to the Roman rite we practice. The Roman Catholic Church- if you will- doesn't officially call itself that. To say that the Roman Catholic rite is truer than the Bryzantine Catholic rite is incorrect because both are of the Catholic Church and follow the authority of the Pope.
Also, the title 'Roman' was never in use until the 17th century when Protestants began calling us that.
Dust Storm where are you? He probably knows this stuff. I even got different opinions from two Catholic Priests if you can believe that..
I can never learn enough about my faith..
When I was a young person..it was ALWAYS CALLED THE ROMAN CATHOLIC
CHURCH ..by the nuns and priests

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#473964 Aug 29, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, Peter does have to do with salvation since he spread the word without which many people would not have been saved. Right?
Mary certainly has a lot to do with our salvation since she bore our Savior, yes? The Bible has everything to do with your salvation, doesn't it, since it is from the Bible that you know about the gospel message by which one can be saved.
I used to be a protestant and always felt a bit sad about the notion that was repeatedly emphasized of "Jesus alone" which, to me, seemed like He was being stripped of His family. It's not "it's just me and Jesus", we are a *family*. All of us on earth and all in heaven. God works His graces through people.
He,spread the word ..Mary bore our Saviour

Only Jesus took our sins to the Cross and washes us with His,blood .

Only He ACCOMPLISHED SALVATION.

BY HIS,STRIPES WE ARE healed

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#473965 Aug 29, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes, the games we play. That one is called "Let's you-n-him fight."
So you think its ok for ANYONE to post threats ...oh well ..

I think it demeans,US as,Christians
Clay

Garden City, MI

#473966 Aug 29, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I remember it being called that too. But from what I understand its not an official title. By no means is a Syrian Catholic a Roman Catholic. But they are still Catholic and a part of the Church started by Jesus Christ.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#473967 Aug 29, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>
After waiting 2 years, within 3 days a rheumatologist called and I had a diagnosis. The blood test results were very clear and very positive for this immune disease which is a kind of arthritis of the lungs. Rare but sometimes someone gets this in the lungs without it appearing in the joints.
So a rheumatologist healed you?

Right?
Clay

Garden City, MI

#473968 Aug 29, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
It really doesn't matter. Most of you will always call us that away,(with a special emphasis on 'Roman'). Its important for many to make us appear to be a Roman Empire barbaric type.

One thing I do know is that I have no problem with the title.
I AM a part of the Roman Catholic Church and I always will be.

Albuquerque, NM

#473969 Aug 29, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Hopefully Obama,will not allow a military strike on Syria.The both sides that are fighting each other are our enemies,and enemies of Europe. So let them fight it out.We cannot prove that Asad or the Al Qaida are the ones who are using chemical weapons.
What a horrible war,to say the least.Egypt is on the brink as well.
They need to get back to normal,so much history,and tourism in that great nation.The Bible prophesies concerning Egypt are both good and bad,they can be found in Ezekiel.So many Coptics and Orthodox in Egypt,a substantial amount of Catholics,and many Evangelicals as well.
I will keep you in my prayers HS.
Oh.

I thought all of you "Christians" want the end of the world to come.

Isn't this what your belief promotes? You are looking for Jesus "in the clouds", correct?

C'mon, no backing down from this now, especially when WW3 is knocking on the door.

Why does Christianity promote the end of the world and death?

Albuquerque, NM

#473970 Aug 29, 2013
I can see you are still avoiding to answer with a passage, a text, a link, a source, ANYTHING, that specifically has "God" stating which texts are inspired and which are not, huh?

And then you switch it all back on me. Not taking responsibility for your beliefs is a sign of weakness and faith.

This is also Self.

But....I can see you are now starting to ask questions. Unfortunately they are off-topic with this forum, but I will try my best to answer them for you.

Just remember this, I won't do this again, m-kay?
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you continue to ask for "proof" then say "that's no proof"?
Because you haven't given me anything by "God", but only something from man. This is the foundation of the lie you continue to express. You think fallible men can define an infallible being, ONCE. I highly disagree with your conclusion and how you know this is capable of occurring.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you continue to accuse others of just following men when you do the same?
You can admit it in a round about way, by placing the question back on me, which is avoiding to answer. Again, deception on your part.

I've already responded to this question - many times. Don't be lazy, go look for it in the forum archive.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you press others for their beliefs then back off when asked about yours?
I've also expressed my beliefs in this forum multiple times.

Why haven't you researched my belief, before assuming you know what it is about, like June?
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you always accuse others of having psuedo-sources when yours are even more psuedo?
Mine have been proven to exist. Yours hasn't.

Where does "God" specifically state which texts are inspired by "He" and which are not?

It isn't that hard to answer. You jsut can't admit the facts of the question, so you don't.

Because, it destroys your religion. Yet opens you up to a whole new belief.

Don't think you can fool me with your nonsense of "I don't understand". You understand quite well, but just too afraid to admit it.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you ask for "a statement by God" when you know full well we have such statements which you already reject?
Diversion and avoidance from answering.

In truth - you ain't got shite.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>You are trying to converse with a bunch of Christians and are continually befuddled why they believe as Christians do?
Oh, I know why you believe, as I was a Catholic.

Another tactic that will not work on me.

I'm honest and not gullible. Two qualities the so-called "Christians" seem to avoid deeply.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>We do not accept as reliable any gnostic writings which you apparently adhere to. It's that simple.
Bbecause you have chosen to follow man's direction with that.

Bummer for you.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus never said the kingdom of heaven is inside you.
Yes he did.
(3) Jesus says:

(1) "If those who lead you say to you:‘Look, the kingdom is in the sky!’ then the birds of the sky will precede you.
(2) If they say to you:‘It is in the sea,’ then the fishes will precede you.
(3) Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and outside of you."
(4) "When you come to know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will realize that you are the children of the living Father.
(5) But if you do not come to know yourselves, then you exist in poverty, and you are poverty."
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>That is the opposite of Christianity.
Direct opposite.

It all begins and ends with you.

Learn it, live it, love it.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>You would do better perhaps to get on the Buddhist thread and teach them how to be spiritual.
Why? Buddhists are doing fine on their own.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#473971 Aug 29, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Humor break
The
Pope went on vacation for a few days to visit the rugged mountains
of Alaska . He was driving along the campground when he heard a
frantic commotion just at the edge of the woods. He found a helpless
Democrat wearing shorts, sandals, a Vote for Obama hat and a Save
the Trees shirt. The man was screaming and struggling frantically,
thrashing all about and trying to free himself from the grasp of a
10-foot grizzly bear.
As the Pope watched in horror, a group
of Republican loggers wearing Go Sarah shirts came racing up. One
quickly fired a .44 magnum slug right into the bear's chest. The two
other men pulled the semiconscious Democrat from the bear's grasp.
Then using baseball bats, the three loggers finished off the
bear.
Two
of the men dragged the dead grizzly onto the bed of their pickup
truck while the other tenderly placed the injured Democrat in the
back seat.
As they began to leave, the Pope summoned all of
them over to him. "I give you my blessing for your brave actions!"
he proudly proclaimed. "I have heard there was bitter hatred between
Republican loggers and Democratic environmental activists, but now
I've seen with my own eyes that this is not true."
As the
Pope drove off, one logger asked his buddies, "Who the hell was that
guy?" "Dude, that was the Pope," another replied. "He's in direct
contact with Heaven and has access to all wisdom."
"Well,"
the logger said, "he may have access to all wisdom, but he don't
know shit about bear hunting! By the way, is our bait still alive or
do we need to go back to California and get another
one..?"
Lol ..it's bad But it's,funny

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#473972 Aug 29, 2013
Plain Jane wrote:
<quoted text>
The Roman Catholic Church controls more wealth than any other denomination, maybe all others combined. It owns its own bank. It owns a large percentage of the Italian stock market.
The Princes of the church live like..... Princes. They ride in limos and have meals prepared by 5-star chefs.
Your denial is no different from the denial of Protestants regarding the excesses of some of their clergy.
Thankfully, your new Pope is not in denial. You must dislike him very much. You seem to disagree with him about many things. That's probably good news for your church though. It was at a dead end before Benedict resigned in disgrace.
The first time,I saw,him on that balcony ..wearing a,simple cross not Jewels I thought of that movie THE SHOES,OF THE FISHERMAN .

THOUGHT..he might shake things up ..
But then Change ...as we have seen in America,...is,NOT always,a good thing .
We shall see

Albuquerque, NM

#473973 Aug 29, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
You say:
"Not one living person on this planet can justify soemthing as being inspired and something is not"
Yet you claim you know what is inspired and what is not.
Either that or you believe everything is inspired.
I claim that the ancient texts that have biblical references are all inspired by "God".

So you are wrong in your conclusion.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>What kind of God do you believe in?
A spiritual one. One that may or may not speak to me in this life or another.

New Age: Somewhere, somehow, something started all of this universe, and it is yet to be revealed to the universe. What that being is, I haven't the foggiest. But I do know, it has been me doing all of my life and not one moment was "God" involved.

Unless you place "God" with coincidence, chance, luck, etc. Do you?
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>We CAN describe attributes of God. We as Christians can. But you can't or you won't.
You are wrong again.

IMO - my "God" is loving, kind, doesn't send his children to a place of torment, but instead teaches them how goodness can be found in the smallest of things, and that we are all equal in Spirit. In other words, that old adage of "we reap what we sow" applies not only to the physical world we live in, but to the spiritual one we will go to.

IMO - of course.

Self.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>Our God is Love. His attributes are described in Scripture as the fruits of the Holy Spirit.
Huh! Imagine that - the same one in the Gnostic texts, the Tibetan Book of the Dead, and the Egyptian Book of the Dead.

Hmmmmm.....some conundrum you have going on in your mind.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>You know yourself who you'd rather hang around; someone with violent hatred with a tenuous grasp on reality, or someone who is loving and respectful toward you.
What does this have to do with you showing me where "God" said something about inspired texts?

Please stay focused.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>You know in your heart what feels "right" and "good". And you know what feels painful, ugly, and diminishing.
Is this a course in Human Emotions? You are off course again.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#473974 Aug 29, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>The Catholic Church I attended for 5 years was called on its sign: Holy Family Roman Catholic Church.Some Catholics are not at all adverse to using Roman Catholic to describe their church.But you see the truth is Clay, the Church in Rome or rather the Vatican,is the Roman Catholic Church.Have a good Night!
I'm older than you are ..this,was MY CATECHISM

See,number 133

IT IS NOT PROTESTANTS,WHO CALLED THE CHURCH ..ROMAN CATHOLIC

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#473975 Aug 29, 2013

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#473976 Aug 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't been to a Sat morning Mass in awhile. I think ills be there this Saturday though. I try and go about 3 times a week total. I'm not sure about tonight either.
I think we should open up a discussion amongst the Catholics on here about our title 'Roman'. My research shows the title is due to the Roman rite we practice. The Roman Catholic Church- if you will- doesn't officially call itself that. To say that the Roman Catholic rite is truer than the Bryzantine Catholic rite is incorrect because both are of the Catholic Church and follow the authority of the Pope.
Also, the title 'Roman' was never in use until the 17th century when Protestants began calling us that.
Dust Storm where are you? He probably knows this stuff. I even got different opinions from two Catholic Priests if you can believe that..
I can never learn enough about my faith..
Fyi
CLAY
http://catecheticsonline.com/...

See number 133.

Roman Catholic Church from my Catechism

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Where Is the Place for Devout Gay Families in t... (Oct '15) Feb 17 True Christian wi... 49
News Vatican will finance adult stem cell research (Apr '10) Feb 12 Pessimistic1 29
News Prayers To Mother Mary 'Cured Lung Cancer' (Jan '10) Feb 11 Phart Girlishly 323
News Pope sings on CD for charity (Dec '09) Feb 11 Phart Musically 31
News Woman Knocks Over Pope Benedict XVI At Christma... (Dec '09) Feb 11 Phart Athletically 165
News Pope illuminates 'tree' via Tablet (Dec '11) Feb 11 Phart Seasonally 23
News Giant John Paul II statuea (Apr '13) Feb 11 Phart Loudly 41
More from around the web