Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#473631 Aug 28, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
And also BTW, did you notice the icons changed on your post? At first it was 3 negatives, now it's negative x 2, and two positives. The system is set up to add up the negatives and positives for each of them and if one outnumbers the other, that's what's displayed. In a few minutes it may change again, not because someone is manipulating it, it's because more positives are being added than negatives.
Well it may be as you say and I may be wrong BuT I know what regina told me. So we both may be right! I believe that it is possible for both ways to happen.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#473632 Aug 28, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Give us a link Nick! Show us where the Orthodox teach consubstantiation. C'mon, Nick, your wife said that's what you teach..show us!
Is that like.....

Please post the link that shows where "God" specifically states which texts are inspired and which are not.

C'mon Anthony, you can do it, because you believe such exists, so you surely have a link that states such is true, right?

Albuquerque, NM

#473633 Aug 28, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, that's what I was trying to explain. Even NASL tried to tell her that a few weeks ago, but she ignored him. Anyone can do it. I'm getting sick and tired of their paranoid insults and false accusations.
Great!! Another thing to blame on Gnosticism.

Thanks Regina!

:o)
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#473634 Aug 28, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>You yourself told me that you knew how to changed them and also number them yourself.And do it..I kept your name out of it and now you want to insult me personally? How dare you and your Holier than thou self...you of all people need to mind your own business and take care of your own self.I don't not judge every catholic post negative little miss know it all.In fact I have given positive ones were I felt it needed. I unlike you, I do judge them post from time to time.I admit it but not all negative towards Catholics.Just so happens regina since you started posting again those icons started to change again...you changing those icons DOES NOT bother me....it bother you enough to change them..lol...I think its pitiful that you have the need to do it...try to control yourself and start setting a good example for the Catholic Church
Still with the false accusations, you just can't seem to help yourself. Nor do you seem able to grasp the simple concept of judging a topix post. So far, three people have explained it to you and you still insist that I'm the one doing it. You're a hater, Sera, no doubt about it. I'm sorry for you, terribly sorry.

Albuquerque, NM

#473635 Aug 28, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying that the fact of Jesus' Divinity rested on whether or not the Jews accepted Him as Messiah.
You wrote:
"Jews don't believe Jesus was the "Messiah", and they also believe he is lower than "God".
Both of which negates Christianity's claim of:
a. Jesus is "God"
b. Jesus was the "Messiah".
"
You are saying that since they didn't believe He was the Messiah, then He couldn't have been the Messiah.
I'm not twisting anything, I am simply trying to understand what you are saying.
Oh, and thanks for the links, I will investigate them.
People chose and continue to choose on what to believe.

Yes - Judaism does not believe Jesus was the "Messiah".

Whether or not he was an actual "messiah" has never been determined.

IMO - Jesus never actually stated he was any religion's messiah, but did state much about how the Spirit lives after we die, and his message should be accepted. Some folks took it to the extrememand consider him to be that "Messiah" that has yet to arrive for Judaism.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#473636 Aug 28, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep - Self.
Only "for your own benefit" - no "God" involved - all actions are done by you.
This is where you have failed at understanding the difference between fact and belief.
<quoted text>
More Self, huh?
Thanks for promoting it.
Why do you promote something out of one side of your mouth and thoughts, but refute it in the next breath?
Oh, I meant to say earlier about the holes in your arguements. The reason that I haven't delineated precisely where they are and how big they are is because they are so vast it is difficult to know where to start. Though I have been trying to find a starting point. I think where it all breaks down is on the most fundamental level. You don't believe there is absolute truth whereas I do. You don't seem to have an anchor. If you do, then please explain what it is...what is your starting point?
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#473637 Aug 28, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>well said and beautiful...thank you
It's also in direct contradiction to what Herme said. There's more:

2. However, it is not for us to define the state of those who are outside the Orthodox Church. If God wishes to grant salvation to some who are Christians in the best way they know, but without ever knowing the Orthodox Church—that is up to Him, not us.**But when He does this, it is outside the normal way that He established for salvation—which is in the Church,** as a part of the Body of Christ. I myself can accept the experience of Protestants being ‘born-again’ in Christ; I have met people who have changed their lives entirely through meeting Christ, and I cannot deny their experience just because they are not Orthodox. I call these people “subjective” or “beginning” Christians. But until they are united to the Orthodox Church they cannot have the fullness of Christianity, they cannot be objectively Christian as belonging to the Body of Christ and receiving the grace of the sacraments. I think this is why there are so many sects among them—they begin the Christian life with a genuine conversion to Christ, but they cannot continue the Christian life in the right way until they are united to the Orthodox Church, and they therefore substitute their own opinions and subjective experiences for the Church’s teaching and sacraments.

About those Christians who are outside the Orthodox Church, therefore, I would say: they do not yet have the full truth—perhaps it just hasn’t been revealed to them yet, or perhaps it is our fault for not living and teaching the Orthodox Faith in a way they can understand.
http://thehandmaid.wordpress.com/holy-orthodo...

Why deny your teachings?
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#473638 Aug 28, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Well it may be as you say and I may be wrong BuT I know what regina told me. So we both may be right! I believe that it is possible for both ways to happen.
Regina told you exactly what Regina said she told you, so pull your garbage on someone who doesn't have your number. Either prove it's me or stop with the false witness and detraction (both of which are sins). Praying for my "total destruction and annihilation" isn't going to help your cause. Maybe it's you who should learn to control her emotions. Now leave me out of your fantasies.

Albuquerque, NM

#473639 Aug 28, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
a. Men wrote the Bible with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
There is no proof that this occurred.

It is correct men wrote the texts within the Bible, men chose the texts to be included within the Bible. The HS had nothing to do with it.

Unless you think the HS inspired an additional 300+ men, besides the many unknown authors of the NT texts. Do you?
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
b. You are right, I am not perfectly obedient to what Jesus taught.
Good. What teachings are you missing or not following?
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
c. Not all writings are inspired by God. Obvious enough unless you believe that God has multiple personalities.
You don't know this, so why state it?

Please state where "God" specifically lists which texts are inspired and which are not. Please post the date that corresponds to this specific statement.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
d. Jesus is God the Son.
DOyou have any proof of this, or is this what you want to believe?

Jesus never called himself "God the Son", why do you?
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
The good news is that Truth can be known. This is the unchanging Creator of the Universe.
Two different statements, that neither have anything to do with each other.

True, in that the "truth can be known" - when we die.

False conclusion to state that you know "God" intimately enough to establish that he is the "unchanging Creator of the Universe".
- There is no proof that any god exists or existed. It is just a belief that was formulated by men for men to control others.

Why do you think those men were accurate, considering their limited access of "God" and that they are fallible?
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith is a gift.
No - faith is learned.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#473640 Aug 28, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't normally give "Pearls to swine" but I will make an exception in your case OX!..... My "born again experience has, is and will continue to be (each and everyYour judgmental and condemning "distorted personal opinion" regarding my personal faks" like you for over 35 years as a Protestant, and you like, everyone of your kind, CONTINUE to have "absolutely NO IDEA as to what you are talking about" which is no surprise to ANY OF US CATHOLICS who know the TRUTH of TRUE SALVATION in Jesus Christ--in and through HIS One TRUE Apostolic Catholic Church!!!
edited for space

I appreciate you proving my words to be 110% correct...you don't have a testimony..you are depending on crackers and wine for your salvation...

The Word of God speaks of you: Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

For forty years,I was exactly where you are today...I pray, by the Grace of God, the Holy Spirit will convict you of your gross error/s, and you will see the truth...from Scripture...

IV. Salvation

Salvation involves the redemption of the whole man, and is offered freely to all who accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, who by His own blood obtained eternal redemption for the believer. In its broadest sense salvation includes regeneration, justification, sanctification, and glorification. There is no salvation apart from personal faith in Jesus Christ as Lord.

A. Regeneration, or the new birth, is a work of God's grace whereby believers become new creatures in Christ Jesus. It is a change of heart wrought by the Holy Spirit through conviction of sin, to which the sinner responds in repentance toward God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Repentance and faith are inseparable experiences of grace.

Repentance is a genuine turning from sin toward God. Faith is the acceptance of Jesus Christ and commitment of the entire personality to Him as Lord and Saviour.

B. Justification is God's gracious and full acquittal upon principles of His righteousness of all sinners who repent and believe in Christ. Justification brings the believer unto a relationship of peace and favor with God.

C. Sanctification is the experience, beginning in regeneration, by which the believer is set apart to God's purposes, and is enabled to progress toward moral and spiritual maturity through the presence and power of the Holy Spirit dwelling in him. Growth in grace should continue throughout the regenerate person's life.

D. Glorification is the culmination of salvation and is the final blessed and abiding state of the redeemed.

Genesis 3:15; Exodus 3:14-17; 6:2-8; Matthew 1:21; 4:17; 16:21-26; 27:22-28:6; Luke 1:68-69; 2:28-32; John 1:11-14,29; 3:3-21,36; 5:24; 10:9,28-29; 15:1-16; 17:17; Acts 2:21; 4:12; 15:11; 16:30-31; 17:30-31; 20:32; Romans 1:16-18; 2:4; 3:23-25; 4:3ff.; 5:8-10; 6:1-23; 8:1-18,29-39; 10:9-10,13; 13:11-14; 1 Corinthians 1:18,30; 6:19-20; 15:10; 2 Corinthians 5:17-20; Galatians 2:20; 3:13; 5:22-25; 6:15; Ephesians 1:7; 2:8-22; 4:11-16; Philippians 2:12-13; Colossians 1:9-22; 3:1ff.; 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24; 2 Timothy 1:12; Titus 2:11-14; Hebrews 2:1-3; 5:8-9; 9:24-28; 11:1-12:8,14; James 2:14-26; 1 Peter 1:2-23; 1 John 1:6-2:11; Revelation 3:20; 21:1-22:5.

The Lord's Supper is a symbolic act of obedience whereby members of the church, through partaking of the bread and the fruit of the vine, memorialize the death of the Redeemer and anticipate His second coming.

Matthew 3:13-17; 26:26-30; 28:19-20; Mark 1:9-11; 14:22-26; Luke 3:21-22; 22:19-20; John 3:23; Acts 2:41-42; 8:35-39; 16:30-33; 20:7; Romans 6:3-5; 1 Corinthians 10:16,21; 11:23-29; Colossians 2:12.

There is no salvation in this symbolic act of obedience.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#473641 Aug 28, 2013
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Guess what,you are posting to one who was raised in the thick of Roman Catholicism on the East Coast.I have seen many a person kneel before statues and even kiss them.It is not just a movie shot,but reality.And I know that Catholics kneel out of reverence. By the way,I know it may shock you Catholics but many Prots kneel at times in their services as well.
Kneeling is the main posture for praying.I have been in Evangelical Churches where most of the members would kneel for quite some time and pray for others and so on.I have been in meetings that lasted 2-3 hours where we would first read from the Word,hear something short from the pastors,and than get on our knees to pray.
So kneeling is not only seen in RCChurches.
Well I am glad to hear that. I have been to several proty churches and never saw kneeling once. One time the preacher preached an entire sermon on how we should kneel before the Lord. I looked around and there were no kneelers available to kneel on. He kept shouting about the kneeling bit and no one was kneeling. I was confused so I asked him after the service what he meant by "kneeling". He looked confused so I asked "do you mean that we should actually kneel down?" And he looked shocked and sputtered "well no, we don't want to be making a scene, do we?"

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#473642 Aug 28, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Sure. My Church is imperfect. It is full of sinners.
If your church is full of sinners, why are you preaching at others how to stop sinning?

Silly people.

Albuquerque, NM

#473643 Aug 28, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I meant to say earlier about the holes in your arguements. The reason that I haven't delineated precisely where they are and how big they are is because they are so vast it is difficult to know where to start.

Yeah, sure you have.

Just post them and stop pussy-footing around with the data.

You Catholics like to do this alot, why?

Just state directly that which you don't believe and be done with it.

But with just posting your refutation, won't make what you state true, unless you can substantiate your refutation with some sort of truth. Please post this as well, as I want to know and then understand that specific truth.

You can do this, right?
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Though I have been trying to find a starting point.

Huh-uh, sure you are.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I think where it all breaks down is on the most fundamental level. You don't believe there is absolute truth whereas I do.

Sure I believe in an absolute truth.

- Christianity only believes in a portion of Jesus, whereas I believe in all of Jesus.
- Christianity uses more of what "Paul's gospel" states than they do of Jesus.
- Christianity uses less than six of the original 13 Apostles to come to some sort of truth.

All abosolute truths that I believe.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't seem to have an anchor. If you do, then please explain what it is...what is your starting point?
Oh yes I do - Jesus. It appears you aren't as anchored as much as I am to him, huh?

BTW - my "starting point" is Jesus, by believing in all of what he taught, not just the parts men decided upon.

Did that answer your questions?
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#473644 Aug 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Is that like.....
Please post the link that shows where "God" specifically states which texts are inspired and which are not.
C'mon Anthony, you can do it, because you believe such exists, so you surely have a link that states such is true, right?
The HOly Spirit guided the Church in determining which books would be included in the canon of Scripture.

Terrace, Canada

#473645 Aug 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Why are you now supporting me?
I don't support you OR your gnostic religion.

Stop lying.

Terrace, Canada

#473646 Aug 28, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>How about a glass of ice tea while you wait? lol
Thanks. I'll take you up on THAT offer.

:)

Terrace, Canada

#473647 Aug 28, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>I dont make it up. I get my info from Mr Jinglejangles.
Santa Claus???

:)
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#473648 Aug 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Great!! Another thing to blame on Gnosticism.
Thanks Regina!
:o)
Yeah, but you have dry heat. It all balances out in the end!

Terrace, Canada

#473649 Aug 28, 2013
truth wrote:
evil is evil
evil is real
as well deceived
After all that happened in your life, go you believe that little children should be taught that the devil, evil and hell are REAL?
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#473650 Aug 28, 2013
<quoted text>
People chose and continue to choose on what to believe.
Yes - Judaism does not believe Jesus was the "Messiah".
Whether or not he was an actual "messiah" has never been determined.
IMO - Jesus never actually stated he was any religion's messiah, but did state much about how the Spirit lives after we die, and his message should be accepted. Some folks took it to the extrememand consider him to be that "Messiah" that has yet to arrive for Judaism.
It can be proven He is the Messiah using logic and some knowledge of human nature. Books have been written on the topic.
I believe one is called Jesus Christ Messiah or Madman. Here's a short clip:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 1 hr truthandcommonsense 84,124
News Pope on free speech: What about turning the oth... 7 hr KristoFMYsagun 11
News Pope Holds Meeting to Encourage Adoption of U.N... 8 hr EliAFRAIDoftruth 6
News Pinoys in NY prepare for Calungsod's sainthood (Aug '12) 9 hr ELIAS IBARRA 208
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 21 hr Married in 9,204
News Cuban bishop says news of papal visit brings 'h... Fri the AWSOME Cowboy 1
News Woman excommunicated from Catholic Church calls... Thu untilthelighttak ... 2
More from around the web