Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 641631 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#473582 Aug 28, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong...on so many levels Nick..where do I start...
1. POST AN ORTHODOX LINK SO WE CAN KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GETTING THIS. PLEASE!!!!
2. "...but co-exists with the physical bread so that the bread is both a bread and the body of Jesus." Consubstantiation the way you explain it is the Lutheran heresy condemned by the Orthodox. No Orthodox would support it.
3. Transubstantiation was defined because an heretical monk in the middle ages DENIED is was physical. You have is bass-ackwards.
4. The ONLY real and somewhat reasonable objection the Orthodox have re the doctrine is that it attempts to explain that which is unexplainable. There are no differences to what we believe it truly is.
You need to stop this pretense...you're trying so hard to not sound Catholic you end up trashing your own faith.
==========
Do your own research.You were proven false . Accept it.You said you searched on the net and couldnt find it. Improve your skills.I am not your research assistant. For being a spokesman for Orthodoxy I thought you would know how to find this info
truth

Australia

#473583 Aug 28, 2013
wish
is most dangarose desire
within man and animals too..
remember that..

Since: Sep 09

Surrey, Canada

#473584 Aug 28, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Anthony, please don't speak for others...I know whos doing the changing and and that person knows I know and would only deny it...whats the point? Plus everyone else here knows who it is also..Lets come clean, we all know what you posted about not using them icons is a non truth.....common sense, man. An observant person notices little things and pays close attention to details.
It's plain that you tell the truth straight from god.

End of "your" story.

By the way ... what does it feel like to believe you are worthy of salvation and others deserve to go to hell?

I've never had that "experience."

Surrey, Canada

#473585 Aug 28, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>So is it any truth that smears your Church and you Catholics. Better become a Bubble Boy Catholic becayuse there is a lot of Truth in the real world that would challenge the Bubble of Your Church.
Do tell us about YOUR church and it's perfection.

I'll be waiting.

:)

Surrey, Canada

#473586 Aug 28, 2013
<quoted text>Do your own research.You were proven false . Accept it.You said you searched on the net and couldnt fine it. Improve your skills.I am not your research assistant. For being a spokesman for Orthodoxy I thought you would know how to find this info.
If you can't find the information that fits your desires, you make it up.

I learned that trick from theologians.

truth

Australia

#473587 Aug 28, 2013
try hide what
not to be scare
not to be loser
to be nice if not
to be rich if have only few coins
or
what
to be educated
or less if you have few dots to dots
to be as medolino
but be less with music

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#473588 Aug 28, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
It seems you figured out my question, without requiring additional information....good, because I thought it was pretty clear the first post I made.
<quoted text>
a. True - Catholicism is not a religion, it is a form of belief. Christianity is the religion.
b. Man devised Christianity, not "God".
- If you think this isn't true, please post where "God" specifically states which texts are to be used for Christianity and which ones are not to be used and then discarded.
c. You stated - "Catholicism teaches the way to have a healthy relationship with Him."
- Gotcha - a person must take ALL the steps in order to achieve this "salvation". That would still be Self.
It all starts and ends with YOU. No religion or belief needed.
<quoted text>
It does. It restricts me from believing the way I do. And since I believe differently, I can't be a Catholic, unless I revert back to what they would like for me to believe.
It restricts spirituality and beliefs. You are just to afraid to admit it, because it goes against the beleif you have been instructed to uphold.
Bummer for you.
<quoted text>
Self.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not afraid to admit anything.

Okay, please admit the following:

a. Men wrote the Bible - no "God" involved.
b. You don't follow all of what Jesus taught.
c. "God" inspired everyone, so any texts written is acceptable and inspired by "God".
d. Jesus is not "God"
e. "Paul" is a third generation disciple and only an Apostle in his eyes.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
And I admit that your logic and reasoning are full of giant holes.
You know something, many people seem to claim this, but as of yet, no one has listed those "giant holes", but love to mention them.

What are they?

June seems to think she knows, but she also has yet to puncture my ball to deflate it.

Why you may ask? Well, like you, her "Christian" mentality is still quite alive in the mind, so you both can't seem to steer away from those beliefs, in order to formulate "truths" that would deflate my ball.

But keep at it.....you Catholics can be quite determined to break someone.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't make a valid point since your very belief system is based upon the fact that nothing can truly be known.
Do you know the truth?

I don't think so either.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of like the Bible-only folks' claim that the Bible alone is the sole authority and rule of Christian Faith when the Bible never claims itself to be such.
Kinda like the Catholic only group too, huh? Thinking so many false doctines are true, when many have already been debunked.

I wonder why when they are debunked, people still believe them to be true.

Odd, huh?
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
It's nonsense.
All religions are nonsense - to those who have no knowledge of why they came to exist, why they exist today, or why people involve themselves with them.

All these actions require a person to make a choice and apply that choice.

No religion required.

Location hidden

#473589 Aug 28, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong...on so many levels Nick..where do I start...
1. POST AN ORTHODOX LINK SO WE CAN KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GETTING THIS. PLEASE!!!!
2. "...but co-exists with the physical bread so that the bread is both a bread and the body of Jesus." Consubstantiation the way you explain it is the Lutheran heresy condemned by the Orthodox.urch No Orthodox would support it.
3. Transubstantiation was defined because an heretical monk in the middle ages DENIED is was physical. You have is bass-ackwards.
4. The ONLY real and somewhat reasonable objection the Orthodox have re the doctrine is that it attempts to explain that which is unexplainable. There are no differences to what we believe it truly is.
You need to stop this pretense...you're trying so hard to not sound Catholic you end up trashing your own faith.
Transubstantiation was defined because the Catholic Church thinks it can speak for God and knows God's processes.It believes it has Christ's Vicar on earth. It believes He is infallible when speaking ex Cathedra. It believes other churches are not full cburches. Through its flirting with philosophy which it did not create and received much later than the East, who invented it, it produced innovations.When I watch EWTN they refer more to Catholic documents such as Catechisms and Vaticsn rulings than Christs Word and the Bible.To actually think that you know the process by which the host becomes Christ is the height of arrogance.

Surrey, Canada

#473590 Aug 28, 2013
According to the Mormons, Joseph Smith was a REAL prophet.

The Mormons are trained to protect the image of their prophet.

That's religion for ya!

Bring the children up to be right-fighters who will defend their own individual cults ... at ALL costs to any semblance of peace on earth.

Surrey, Canada

#473591 Aug 28, 2013
truth wrote:
wish
is most dangarose desire
within man and animals too..
remember that..
Do you believe that little children should be taught that the devil and hell are REAL???

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#473592 Aug 28, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You two flipped out when the Copt was on here explaining his Orthodox faith, you harrassed him, accused him of plagiarism and drove him off the board. Now you're accusing Catholics of stealth posting as an Orthodox. Don't tell me to grow up, you two need some real spiritual help.
I saw the same exact same posting on an Orthodox site and I had saved it for future use to use against you guys.But then I had a change of heart and deleted ALL my stuff because I didn't come to this forum a few years ago to trash anyone.Thats how I know that it was not his own words.I read them before.Now I could take the time to research for that sain to provite age I am right, but what for? Nothing will come of it and it would be a waste of my time.Believe what you wish.And the stealthing was done to us before. Someone coming under a different name so they could continue to insult us thinking we would not know who it was...stupid games I agree...lets stop playing them ok..

Albuquerque, NM

#473593 Aug 28, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
These things are for OUR benefit so that we might grow spiritually in order to love God better.
Yep - Self.

Only "for your own benefit" - no "God" involved - all actions are done by you.

This is where you have failed at understanding the difference between fact and belief.
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
And about kneeling. Catholics kneel during worship and this obviously makes quite a few non-Catholics uncomfortable. They do not understand why this is done. Well, here is why:
God is present during the Mass, and since He is, we should show Him the respect and reverence He deserves. Thus the most appropriate posture is to kneel (if not full face down prostration). Catholics do not leave their bodies at the door of the Church, we bring them with us in worship.
More Self, huh?

Thanks for promoting it.

Why do you promote something out of one side of your mouth and thoughts, but refute it in the next breath?
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#473594 Aug 28, 2013
<quoted text>
The Orthodox never accepted this innovation and actually condemned it.
COUNCIL OF CONSTANTINOPLE (1727)

In an article concerning the Eucharist in an exposition of faith by a council held at Constantinople in 1727 we find a re-affirmation that the word "TRANSUBSTANTIATION" is "the most fitting statement of this mystery" and the "most accurately significant declaration of this change" in the elements. This Council reads --

"It is right to believe and confess that the most mystic and all-holy rite and Eucharist of the holy Liturgy and BLOODLESS SACRIFICE, which is for a memorial of Christ our God voluntarily sacrificed on our behalf, is celebrated in the following way. Leavened bread is offered and wine together with warm water is placed in the holy cup, and they are supernaturally changed, the bread into that life-giving body of the Lord and the wine into His precious blood, by the all-holy Spirit by means of the prayer and invocation of the priest which depends on the power of the words of the Lord.

"Not that the consecration is effected by the words 'Take, eat,' etc., or by the words 'Drink ye all of it,' etc., as the Latins think; for we have been taught that the consecration takes place at the prayer of the priest and at the words which he utters, namely,'Make this bread the precious body of Thy Christ, and that which is in this cup the precious blood of Thy Christ, changing them by Thy Holy Ghost,' as the most glorious Apostles and Fathers filled with the Spirit who compiled the holy liturgies explained and handed down, and as this tradition of their divine teaching has come to us and to the Holy Church of Christ, and as also is clearly shown by the example of the Lord Himself, who first prayed and then commanded His Apostles,'Do this for My memorial.'

"Therefore we acknowledge that at the invocation of the priest that ineffable mystery is consecrated, and the living and with-God-united body itself of our Savior and His blood itself are really and substantially present, and that the whole without being in any way impaired is eaten by those who partake and is BLOODLESSLY SACRIFICED. And we believe without any doubt that in the reception and communion of this, even though it be in ONE KIND ONLY, the WHOLE AND COMPLETE CHRIST is present; nevertheless according to the ancient tradition which has prevailed in the Catholic Church we have received that Communion is made by all the faithful, both clergy and laity, individually in both kinds, and not the laity in one kind and the priests in both, as is done in the innovation which the Latins have wrongly made.

"As an explanatory and MOST ACCURATELY SIGNIFICANT DECLARATION OF THIS CHANGE of the bread and the wine into the body of the Lord itself and His blood the faithful ought to acknowledge and receive the word TRANSUBSTANTIATION, which the Catholic Church as a whole has used and receives as the MOST FITTING STATEMENT OF THIS MYSTERY. Moreover they ought to reject the use of unleavened bread as an innovation of late date, and to receive the holy rite in leavened bread, as had been the custom from the first in the Catholic Church of Christ." (Stone, page 182-184)

What this Council shows us is the Eastern Orthodox had differences with the Latins (Catholics) during this period in practice (Communion under both kinds, leavened bread) and the exact moment of consecration, but had no difficulty in affirming the reality of the change by using the term TRANSUBSTANTIATION as the "MOST FITTING STATEMENT OF THIS MYSTERY" and "MOST ACCURATELY SIGNIFICANT DECLARATION OF THIS CHANGE."

http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/num31.htm More on Eastern Orthodox councils here.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#473595 Aug 28, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>I have seen two different posts icons being changed. You Anthony may not have noticed this. Others have agreed with me. And I know who did them...and so doesn't everyone else....I have posted to clay that I wont be trashing your church in the future and I expect that the rest of you grow up also..name calling and personal attacks are unbecoming and doesn't represent your church very well.
And also BTW, did you notice the icons changed on your post? At first it was 3 negatives, now it's negative x 2, and two positives. The system is set up to add up the negatives and positives for each of them and if one outnumbers the other, that's what's displayed. In a few minutes it may change again, not because someone is manipulating it, it's because more positives are being added than negatives.
truth

Australia

#473596 Aug 28, 2013
o really
entire planets system of humanity is divided ..on tribe people and nation..
Entire planet system are divided ..land water lakes rivers and so on..
Are you for sure I am liar?

it is written who sit where real Creator been before..
civilization exist before..
It is written who will come who liked change history time and so on..

Location hidden

#473597 Aug 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Do tell us about YOUR church and it's perfection.
I'll be waiting.
Sure. My Church is imperfect. It is full of sinners. It humbly tries to follow Christ's teachings.It is not fit to tie the sandals of Chist. It cannot contain neither Christ or the Holy Spirit
and cannot presume to be the sole door to them.It does its best, has nothing to be proud of, and depends on the grace and salvation of Christ for which it is unworthy.

Albuquerque, NM

#473598 Aug 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Those that place value on words in books written by theologians really don't have faith that the god is pure love.
If they did, they wouldn't need to study words. They would have faith that if they do their best ... god or no god ... all will be well ... period!
Why are you now supporting me?

You wrote: "they wouldn't need to study words. They would have faith that if they do their best.."

Which is basically the same as stating this:

"Move past the words and understand their meanings."

- has been a saying of mine, and now lookie here - you are promoting it too.

You seem confused on what you do believe and what you don't.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#473599 Aug 28, 2013
<quoted text>Do your own research.You were proven false . Accept it.You said you searched on the net and couldnt fine it. Improve your skills.I am not your research assistant. For being a spokesman for Orthodoxy I thought you would know how to find this info.
PAY ATTENTION! No Supper for You!!!! LOL
Plain Jane

Orlando, FL

#473600 Aug 28, 2013
"Do this in remembrance of me."

Whether one regards His presence in the Eucharist as an undetectable-reality or spiritual, what's the difference?

The argument is really about the philosophical meaning of "real" as in the term "real presence."

There is no tissue or blood as we know it, so what's the difference between that and "spiritual presence?"

"real but undetectable by human senses"

"spiritual"

It took many centuries to come up with the never-before known word: Transubstantiation.

It's just another way to say "beyond human senses," just in a different way. It sounds more exclusive than "spiritual" I suppose.

Remember Him how you see fit. I don't believe Jesus would be so small as to think lesser of anyone who remembered Him either way.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#473601 Aug 28, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>We are not Catholic and don't have to try not be be.We are Orthodox remember?Two different churches...
Yeah, two apostolic Churches in schism with each other teaching and believing essentially the same things.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 10 hr I recently left 10,106
News Pope's zero tolerance for pedophiles faces test... (Mar '15) Fri Gods r Delusions ... 4
News Pope Francis eases way for divorced Catholics w... Fri truth 55
News Pope Francis meets top Sunni cleric May 24 Bullet Proof Pope 1
News Pope Francis: Islam's Friend, Christianity's Foe? May 23 naman 1
News Pope Francis meets with victims of child sexual... May 20 humor in everything 2
News Pope says he's willing to study women deacons, ... May 16 Redeemed 3
More from around the web