Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 692153 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

truth

Australia

#473474 Aug 28, 2013
then you call
ocenas
Are you for sure?
hu huuu uuu where is that in pigeon box
or horn hu hu huuuuuu
or in chu chuuuuuuuu chuuuuuuuu chuuuuuu
3x explain
if you could please..

Every Spirit is not Holy?
youtubeNews

AOL

#473475 Aug 28, 2013

ISRAEL to give POPE "Custody" of Temple Mount --

http://youtu.be/Qt9kEQB4ti8

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#473476 Aug 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Joel Osteen privately interprets scripture too. He thinks God wishes prosperity upon him and his family. Nobody questions him because they think he's an authority on the Bible. Sound familiar?
That's why he just sold his 2 million dollar home for a modest 10 million dollar home.
I guarantee you, Mr Osteen will never give up his lifestyle for the truth in Catholicism.
patheos.com/blogs/standingonmyhead/2013/08/Jo...
~~~~
YOU WROTE

Joel Osteen privately interprets scripture too. He thinks God wishes prosperity upon him and his family.

YOU ARE THE ONE THAT IS IGNORANT

AS ARE

so are many others that believe GOD WANTS YOU TO LIVE IN ABJECT POVERTY.

BECAUSE THEY HAVE NEVER DEFINED -->SALVATION<--

FROM A BIBLICAL PERSPECTIVE.

THEY ARE IGNORANT OF WHAT SALVATION INCLUDES...

THEREFOR IT NEVER BECOMES THEIR CONFIDENT EXPECTATIONS...

The Psalmist David wrote..

Psa_68:19 Blessed be the Lord,

who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation. Selah.

AND AGAIN

Psa_103:2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:

THE BENEFITS OF SALVATION/JESUS...

DEFINED IN HEBREW...

NOTE THAT ...JESUS (yeshu&#770;&#8219;a &#770;h)IS SALVATION..

H3444
&#1497;&#1513;&#14 73;&#1493;&#1468;& #1506;&#1492;
yeshu&#770;&#8219;a &#770;h
yesh-oo'-aw
Feminine passive participle of H3467; something saved, that is,(abstractly) deliverance; hence aid, victory, prosperity:- deliverance, health, help (-ing), salvation, save, saving (health), welfare.

H3467
&#1497;&#1513;&#14 73;&#1506;
ya&#770;sha&#8219;
yaw-shah'
A primitive root; properly to be open, wide or free, that is,(by implication) to be safe; causatively to free or succor:- X at all, avenging, defend, deliver (-er), help, preserve, rescue, be safe, bring (having) salvation, save (-iour), get victory.

H3468
&#1497;&#1513;&#14 73;&#1506; &#1497;&#1513;&#14 73;&#1506;
yesha&#8219; ye&#770;sha&#8219;
yeh'-shah, yay'-shah
From H3467; liberty, deliverance, prosperity:- safety, salvation, saving.

H4190
&#1502;&#1493;&#15 13;&#1473;&#1506;& #1492;
mo&#770;sha&#770;& #8219;a&#770;h
mo-shaw-aw'
From H3467; deliverance:- salvation.

H6495
&#1508;&#1468;&#15 11;&#1495;&#1470;& #1511;&#1493;&#1495;
peqach-qo&#770;ach
pek-akh-ko'-akh
From H6491 redoubled; opening (of a dungeon), that is, jail delivery (figuratively salvation from sin):- opening of the prison.

H8668
&#1514;&#1468;&#15 13;&#1473;&#1506;& #1492; &#1514;&#1468;&#15 13;&#1473;&#1493;& #1468;&#1506;&#1492;
teshu&#770;&#8219;a &#770;h teshu&#770;&#8219;a &#770;h
tesh-oo-aw', tesh-oo-aw'
From H7768 in the sense of H3467; rescue (literally or figuratively, personal, national or spiritual):- deliverance, help, safety, salvation, victory.

CONTINUED

#473477 Aug 28, 2013
CONTINUED

SALVATION DEFINED IN GREEK...IN THE NEW TESTAMENT

G629
&#945;&#787;&#960; &#959;&#955;&#965; &#769;&#964;&#961; &#969;&#963;&#953; &#962;
apolutro&#772;sis
ap-ol-oo'-tro-sis
From a compound of G575 and G3083; (the act) ransom in full, that is,(figuratively) riddance, or (specifically) Christian salvation:- deliverance, redemption.

G4991
&#963;&#969;&#964; &#951;&#961;&#953; &#769;&#945;
so&#772;te&#772;ria
so-tay-ree'-ah
Feminine of a derivative of G4990 as (properly abstract) noun; rescue or safety (physically or morally):- deliver, health, salvation, save, saving.

G4992
&#963;&#969;&#964; &#951;&#769;&#961; &#953;&#959;&#957;
so&#772;te&#772;rion
so-tay'-ree-on
Neuter of the same as G4991 as (properly concrete) noun; defender or (by implication) defence:- salvation.

COMMENTARY BY F.B. MEYER
Romans 8:31-39

No Separation from Christ’s Love

Rom_8:31-39

This is the close of the Apostle’s argument. He has shown that believers are dear to God because they are in Christ; that their every need has been anticipated and provided for; that their guilt has been canceled and provision made for their holy and victorious character; that the Holy Spirit is in them and with them forever; that sin is under their feet and heaven over their heads-

what, then, have they to fear?
truth

Australia

#473478 Aug 28, 2013
evil is evil

real Creator not created anyone for suffering..

its clear and pure

i don't spend any 5 cents for production of anything

all of you liked be popular rich and much more

i don't need nothing personaly from anyone not at all

i born in powerthy where freedoom is zero

i will died liked that

your evil law is not my law
never will be

in this city nothing exist

#473479 Aug 28, 2013
BEING BORN AGAIN...OF THE SPIRIT...

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot SEE...(literally or figuratively); by implication (in the perfect only) to know:- be aware, behold, X can (+ not tell), consider,(have) known (-ledge), look (on), perceive, see, be sure, tell, understand, wist, wot.

the kingdom of God.

Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Joh 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Joh 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

GOD WANTS US

FIRST

TO PROSPER SPIRITUALLY..

AND RECEIVE THE BENEFITS OF THE SUFFERING OF JESUS .

IN HIS DEATH

RESURRECTION AND

ASCENSION....

THEY ARE

Isa 53:4

1. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and

2.carried our sorrows:

yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

Isa 53:5

3. But he was wounded for our transgressions,

2.he was bruised for our iniquities:

3.the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and

4.with his stripes we are healed.

Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and

5.the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#473480 Aug 28, 2013
A slightly modified version of a post of mine from a few days ago on another thread for anyone who's interested.

***ZZZzzzzz***
***ZZZzzzzz***

I get it.

Nevertheless....

Columbus, OH

#473481 Aug 28, 2013
Mithraism and Christianity I

The Mithraic mysteries, according to David Ulansey,,“arose at about the same time as Chrstianity."1 Indeed, Plutarch seems to place the arrival of that religion on the shores of the Roman Empire at 67 B.C., less than a century before Christianity. But Roger Beck, a leading authority on Mythraism, rejects Plutarch’s date and places it in the “Flavian age”, 30 years or more after the birth of Christianity.2

Regardless, Mithras is the Roman version of Mithra, a god in the Zoasterian pantheon. But the Roman version of that god, and more precisely, the Mithraic mysteries as opposed to the Zoasterian religion, arose roughly concurrently and remained directly in competition with Christianity from the 1st century through the 4th century, "when [Mithraism] succumbed to Christianity".3

Franz Cumont, a brilliant scholar on Mithraism from the first half of the last century, believed many of the traditions regarding the Persian Mithra were carried over to the Roman version, Mithras. But this has become a minority view since the 1970's, after the First International Congress of Mithraic Studies, primarily for want of evidence.4 Some of the most basic elements of Roman Mithraism are nowhere to be found with respect to Mithra in the Zoasterian religion. For example, Mithra does not slay a bull in that tradition and there is no tauroctony, which is present in surviving Roman Mithraea. So relying on Zoasterianism or any of its precedents to date the Mithraic mysteries is much like dating Christianity based on Judaism – it doesn’t really work.5

1. Ulansey, David, The Mithraic Mysteries, in Scientific American,(v. 261, n. 6, December, 1989), pp. 130-5 at p. 130.
2. Beck, Roger, Beck on Mithraism: Collected Works with New Essays (Ashgate, 2004), p. 293.
3. Ulansey, David, The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries (Oxford University Press, 1991), p. 4.
4. Congress of Mithraic Studies, Mithraic Studies: Proceedings of the First International Congress of Mithraic Studies (Manchester University Press, 1975).
5. Beck, Beck on Mithraism, p. 293.

#473482 Aug 28, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
BEING BORN AGAIN...OF THE SPIRIT...
Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot SEE...(literally or figuratively); by implication (in the perfect only) to know:- be aware, behold, X can (+ not tell), consider,(have) known (-ledge), look (on), perceive, see, be sure, tell, understand, wist, wot.
the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Joh 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
GOD WANTS US
FIRST
TO PROSPER SPIRITUALLY..
AND RECEIVE THE BENEFITS OF THE SUFFERING OF JESUS .
IN HIS DEATH
RESURRECTION AND
ASCENSION....
THEY ARE
Isa 53:4
1. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and
2.carried our sorrows:
yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
Isa 53:5
3. But he was wounded for our transgressions,
2.he was bruised for our iniquities:
3.the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and
4.with his stripes we are healed.
Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and
5.the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
~~~

THE ABOVE IS THE REASON THAT JOHN WRITES-->

3Jn 1:1 The elder unto the wellbeloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth.

3Jn 1:2 --> Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

3Jn 1:3 For I rejoiced greatly, when the brethren came and testified of the truth that is in thee, even as thou walkest in the truth.

3Jn 1:4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.

Columbus, OH

#473483 Aug 28, 2013
Mithraism and Christianity II

For Ulansey and others of his generation of scholars, little other than the name of the Persian deity was borrowed for the Roman mysteries. Beck sees more than that, but not to the extent Cumont did at the beginning of the 20th century. In Ulansey's words, there were "a number of serious problems with Cumont's assumption that the Mithraic mysteries derived from ancient Iranian religion. Most significant among these is that there is no parallel in ancient Iran to the iconography which is the primary fact of the Roman Mithraic cult. For example, as already mentioned, by far the most important icon in the Roman cult was the tauroctony. This scene shows Mithras in the act of killing a bull, accompanied by a dog, a snake, a raven, and a scorpion; the scene is depicted as taking place inside a cave like the mithraeum itself. This icon was located in the most important place in every mithraeum, and therefore must have been an expression of the central myth of the Roman cult. Thus, if the god Mithras of the Roman religion was actually the Iranian god Mithra, we should expect to find in Iranian mythology a story in which Mithra kills a bull. However, the fact is that no such Iranian myth exists: in no known Iranian text does Mithra have anything to do with killing a bull."6

Assuming any parallels between Christianity and Mithraism requires syncretism only on Christianity’s part is naïve. As Cumont notes, "The only domain in which we can ascertain in detail the extent to which Christianity imitated Mithraism is that of art. The Mithraic sculpture, which had been first developed, furnished the ancient Christian marble-cutters with a large number of models, which they adopted or adapted…"7 Cumont goes further: "We are too imperfectly acquainted with the dogmas and liturgies of the [Mithraic Mysteries], as well as with the development of primitive Christianity, to say definitely what mutual influences were operative in their simultaneous evolution. But be this as it may, resemblances do not necessarily suppose an imitation. Many correspondences between the Mithraic doctrine and the Catholic faith are explicable by their common Oriental origin. Nevertheless, certain ideas and certain ceremonies must necessarily have passed from the one cult to the other; but in the majority of cases we rather suspect this transference than clearly perceive it."8

In short, these religions arose at approximately the same time, likely borrowed from one another as well as inherited common themes and assimilated common cultural motifs of the time. But which borrowed from which and what themes were borrowed vs. inherited or assimilated from other influences is simply not knowable in the main. In this regard, I’d recommend a reading of Drudgery Divine by Jonathan Z. Smith of the University of Chicago. So would Beck.

6. Ulansey, David, http://www.mysterium.com/mithras.html .
7. Cumont, Franz V.M., McCormack, Thomas J., ed., The Mysteries of Mithra (Open Court Publications, 1903), p. 196.
8. Ibid., p. 194.
truth

Australia

#473484 Aug 28, 2013
deceiver is deceiver

on Cross is pure and clear INRI
where is that your letters there..

Columbus, OH

#473485 Aug 28, 2013
Mithraism and Christianity III

And as to common inheritance, the December 25th celebration in both religions may simply be usurping the Roman celebration for Sol Invictus rather than one religion necessarily borrowing that date from the other. There is no such date in the Iranian tradition for Mithra that I am aware of, nor is there one in the Christian scriptures, only in later tradition. With respect to the Christian practice, Cumont claims that “it appears certain that the commemoration of the Nativity was set for the 25th of December, because it was at the winter solstice that the rebirth of the invincible god, the Natalis Invictus, was celebrated.”9

Often on the Internet one sees references to "wise men" coming to Mithra's birth bearing gifts,but I have never found evidence of that. His birth is sometimes shown in art being attended by three shepherds, but not magi, and no gifts are involved that I’ve ever discovered. This likely is a misinterpretation of 4th century Christian art that sometimes depicted three Mithraic priests attending Jesus’s nativity. That is, by the fourth century, the magi of Matthew sometimes were depicted in some Christian art as Mithraic priests. I assume this was intended as a thumb in the eye for Christianity's main rival at the time, but it also makes some sense. Since the Mithraic mysteries relied heavily on astrology, and since "magi" is the Greek plural for magician, a term that included astrologers, why not portray these astrologers as Mithraic priests? Why not portray your rivals worshiping your deity at his birth given Matthew’s story of magi attending the birth and Mithraism’s link to the Zodiac?

Likewise with the common claim Mithras was born of a virgin. Mithras emerged from a rock10 without the help of a virgin, at least in mainstream Mithraism. I can find no reference in Cumont, Beck, or Ulansey that supports this claim or the common claim of crucifixion or decent into hell by Mithras.
What’s the upshot of all this? Mithraism and Christianity have much in common, just not as much as is commonly claimed with respect to their “saviors”. The shared traits between the two religions makes great since these religions developed in the same time and culture and both were offshoots of other, older oriental religions. But trying to trace the precise source of those influences can be drudgery divine.11

8. Ibid., p. 194.
9. Cumont, Franz V.M., Mithraism and the religions of the Empire, in Open Court (v. 16, n. 12, December 1902) pp. 717- 32 at p. 726.
10. Tripolitis, Antonia, Religions of the Hellenistic-Roman Age (Eerdmans, 2002), p. 50.
10. Smith, Jonathan Z., Drudgery Divine,(University of Chicago Press, 2002).

Columbus, OH

#473486 Aug 28, 2013
Footnote 10. Smith... = 11. Smith...
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#473487 Aug 28, 2013
makes great since = makes great sense since
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#473488 Aug 28, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
I have been staying away from Topix. It is best for me right now.It upset me that the Catholics would give into evil so deeply that they would come under an Orthodox name to try to spread the falsehoods about Orthodoxy that they could not spread under their own name.
ICXC NIKA appeared when I kept shooting down Anthony's and Clay's false remarks about Orthodoxy with facts and true history.That is he appeared in Topix. That's when he suddenly appeared in this particular forum after years of just 2 Orthodox here. The Catholics know also that the name I used to use here was ICXC so they used this name deliberately.
The Catholic cant counter my arguments. They think that however you would believe another Orthodox. So they use ICXC NIKA to promote their falsehoods. Believe me,they are giving superficial info re Orthodoxy and spinning it their way. Remember the Evil One uses some Truth and twists it to accomplish his ends.
I know that you trust and believe me.You know that I also respect you.You are well familiar with how the Catholics use falsehoods and lies to demean your faith as not real.
Please do not respond to ICXC NIKA> Its your choice though.
What a load of malarkey Nick. Clearly ICXC NIKA was not a Catholic. I believe he was a member of the Oriental Orthodox Christian community, probably a cleric. He explained aspects of Orthodoxy very pecisely and unambiguously without shame or fear of offending the protestants here, unlike you. He didn't back down from you and your wife when you attacked and accused him of plagiarism, etc. Now you come back with absurd accusations and innuendo. It's sad to see how low you will go. I think you need some real spiritual direction from your priest (assuming he's not on the same paranoid page as you are).
Clay

Melrose Park, IL

#473489 Aug 28, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
CONTINUED
SALVATION DEFINED IN GREEK...IN THE NEW TESTAMENT
G629
&#945;&#787;&#960; &#959;&#955;&#965; &#769;&#964;&#961; &#969;&#963;&#953; &#962;
apolutro&#772;sis
ap-ol-oo'-tro-sis
From a compound of G575 and G3083; (the act) ransom in full, that is,(figuratively) riddance, or (specifically) Christian salvation:- deliverance, redemption.
G4991
&#963;&#969;&#964; &#951;&#961;&#953; &#769;&#945;
so&#772;te&#772;ria
so-tay-ree'-ah
Feminine of a derivative of G4990 as (properly abstract) noun; rescue or safety (physically or morally):- deliver, health, salvation, save, saving.
G4992
&#963;&#969;&#964; &#951;&#769;&#961; &#953;&#959;&#957;
so&#772;te&#772;rion
so-tay'-ree-on
Neuter of the same as G4991 as (properly concrete) noun; defender or (by implication) defence:- salvation.
COMMENTARY BY F.B. MEYER
Romans 8:31-39
No Separation from Christ’s Love
Rom_8:31-39
This is the close of the Apostle’s argument. He has shown that believers are dear to God because they are in Christ; that their every need has been anticipated and provided for; that their guilt has been canceled and provision made for their holy and victorious character; that the Holy Spirit is in them and with them forever; that sin is under their feet and heaven over their heads-
what, then, have they to fear?
are you saying you're ok with Joel Osteen selling his 2 million dollar house and purchasing a 10 million dollar house.... and that's ok with God?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#473490 Aug 28, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Not an Ecumenical Council. Check on the web everyone.It is well know that the Orthodox believe in consubstantiation.Just look up the word on the Net.Goodbye
I've googled "orthodox church consubstantiation", very little, if anything definitive comes up. It's tragic that you'll go so far as to deny your own faith in order to avoid any association with Catholic beliefs. You're a hater Nick. You need spiritual help.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#473491 Aug 28, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
now pay attention folks....negative judges are being changed to positive ones and positive ones to negative...LOL..priceless!!
"Yeah, it goes like this, here it goes
Paranoia, the destroyer
Here's to paranoia
Paranoia, the destroyer
Hey hey, here it goes
Paranoia, the destroyer
And it goes like this
Paranoia, the destroyer
And it goes like this"

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#473492 Aug 28, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:

No need - I'm still trying to grasp how you and all of Christianity can accept limiting "God's inspiration".
When you can answer that, then you will have something to discuss.
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
And according to you ... YOU KNOW all ABOUT inspiration from "god" while others are too dumb to allow you to be their leader.
How funny!
Another non-answer June?

a. If there is a "God", I believe "He" would not be limited in inspiring individuals - because it is a "personal relationship with God".

b. I don't have any control over others, please stop implying that I am some sort of "powerful being".

Why do you continue to express how much you really don't know about people.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#473493 Aug 28, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:

If God were to reveal Himself to you in all His entirety (not veiling HImself in any way) and tell you everything He knows and everything about Himself, do you think you could understand it all and retain it all?

New Age wrote:
I'm smart - yes. In the least, I rcvd directly what "God" wants to do - and not thorugh some unknown author.

Why?
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahahahahaha
I suggest that your over-dosing on Gnosticism has infected your brain-cells with nonsensical debris.
That is your problem June, you love to take other's statements out of context. You should try to correct that, it will help in your understanding religion, much better.

My response was hypothetical, just like the question asked of me.

Please try to stay focused.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope urges compassion from politicians who fan ... Dec 12 Frindly 4
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Dec 4 Mr Sir 10,694
News Pope Francis is greeted by young children in tr... Nov 27 TRUE CATHOLIC her... 1
News John Paul I Closer to Sainthood as Book Debunks... Nov '17 South Knox Hombre 1
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Nov '17 Feeling Abandoned 37
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... (Apr '15) Nov '17 whirlignmerc 11
News War, religion and tolerance Oct '17 The Bible Student 1
More from around the web