Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 691918 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

chuck

Dublin, OH

#472163 Aug 20, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
My father was not anywhere near alone in that belief.
I never said he wasn't the only one who was lost. Heck, look at you.
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Williams Lake, Canada

#472164 Aug 20, 2013
I also believe that the Gnostic gospels were written after the Catholic rendition of the story of Jesus.

The Gnostic-authors didn't like what was written by the Catholics, so they compiled their own data and claimed it as the REAL truth concerning the story of Jesus.

When the Catholics came to full power in the Roman empire they put the Gnostics to death as heretics, as they did so many others who argued against Catholicism as being based on truth.

I believe the story of Jesus was fiction to start with ... and then the Gnostics morphed the story into yet other versions of fiction.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

Lost Gospels?

Helmut Koester of Harvard has argued that the Nag Hammadi Gnostic-Jesus texts were written very early, almost as early as the Biblical gospels themselves. And Elaine Pagels, who did a doctorate under Koester at Harvard, has popularized this view in The Gnostic Gospels and the more recent Beyond Belief: The Secret Gospel of Thomas.

But this is very much a minority view across the field of scholarship. N.T.Wright says, "It has long been the received wisdom among students of early Christianity that the Gospel of Thomas...found at Nag Hammadi...is a comparatively late stage in the development of Christianity." (New Testament and the People of God, p.436) The great majority of scholars believe the Gnostic-Jesus texts to have been written 100-200 years after the Biblical gospels, which all were written within the first 30-60 years after Jesus’ death. Why this consensus?
June VanDerMark

Williams Lake, Canada

#472165 Aug 20, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...how do you know that the atheist neighbor doesn't go on a public forum for 18 hours a day screaming I don't believe in God and I hate anyone who doesn't share the same beliefs as me.
What's it to ya? According to you, you are saved aren't you???

:)
chuck

Dublin, OH

#472166 Aug 20, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
People find whatever they seek to find.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>
Evidence for Reincarnation
in the Bible
http://www.markmason.net/ch16ex1.htm
When the family comes with the grandkids to see you, do they have any idea you spend most of your day on a public forum spreading hate to those who don't agree with you?
June VanDerMark

Williams Lake, Canada

#472167 Aug 20, 2013
Edgar Cayce ... probably the world's most famous "seer" believed in reincarnation, and he was an avid reader in his study of the bible.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

Edgar Cayce on the Reincarnations of Jesus
Christ as the Crowning Glory of Ancient Mysticism

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/origen0...
June VanDerMark

Williams Lake, Canada

#472168 Aug 20, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said he wasn't the only one who was lost. Heck, look at you.
I agree that my father was lost to his own conscience, as he was under the spell (as are you) of religion.

His was simply held in mental bondage under a different BRAND of religion than is yours.
chuck

Dublin, OH

#472169 Aug 20, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
What's it to ya? According to you, you are saved aren't you???
You're bitter because I described you? lol
chuck

Dublin, OH

#472170 Aug 20, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that my father was lost to his own conscience, as he was under the spell (as are you) of religion.
His was simply held in mental bondage under a different BRAND of religion than is yours.
Nope

I'm not under religion Grams as your dad was. Huge difference between religion and Christianity and you'll never understand that.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#472171 Aug 20, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Your words were a threat!
"Unless you want that tumor to take over your life. Do you?"
There's something seriously wrong in your head.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#472172 Aug 20, 2013
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>What is wrong with you? Have you no understanding?
Can anyone be EQUAL with GOD unless HE IS GOD? Jesus Christ has always been fully GOD. Only a sinless one could shed his blood to redeem sinners. And only GOD is sinless. Get a clue and get over yourself and this redicules argument you are trying to make. It is fruitless and it is wrong.

We all know what and who Mike Tyson is..

If I say, "I am in the form of Mike, and I think it not robbery to be equal with Mike" does that mean I am Mike Tyson???!!!!

Or does it mean, since I am equal to him, whatever Mike can do...so can I??????
June VanDerMark

Williams Lake, Canada

#472173 Aug 20, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope
I'm not under religion Grams as your dad was. Huge difference between religion and Christianity and you'll never understand that.
chris·ti·an·i·ty

Noun

1.The religion based on the person and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, or its beliefs and practices.

June VanDerMark

Williams Lake, Canada

#472174 Aug 20, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
There's something seriously wrong in your head.
If I learn to believe as a Gnostic, will I then be brilliant ... as you picture your adorable SELF?

June VanDerMark

Williams Lake, Canada

#472175 Aug 20, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're bitter because I described you? lol
You already threatened me with hell and evil ... many times. It's part of your "loving" Christian sermons.

June VanDerMark

Williams Lake, Canada

#472176 Aug 20, 2013
Unlike most Western religions, Gnosticism’s ultimate goal is not found in the afterlife. The Gnostics sought to become living Christs—beings that ultimately conquered spiritual ignorance (death). In this state, the mysteries of Creation and beyond would become manifest, time and space would dissolve before consciousness, and all the illusions of reality would collapse under the realization The Kingdom of the Father was all around.

To many Gnostics, failure in achieving this goal symbolically meant being trapped within the coils of the cosmic dragon eating its tail, the Ouroboros.

It meant reincarnation.

Perhaps the earliest hint of the Gnostic belief in reincarnation comes from the myth of Simon Magus, known as the Father of both Gnosticism and all Heresies. Simon was God incarnate traveling across history to find Helena (his ‘first thought’ and co-creator). She was kidnapped by betraying angels at the beginning of time and hidden on Earth, forced to reincarnate in various forms including Helen of Troy. Simon eventually found Helena inside a brothel in the city of Tyre sometime in the First Century. Their reunion not only symbolizes the completion of humans after long quests through birth and rebirth but the completion of the Divine itself.

Later Gnostic sages would provide their own versions of reincarnation.

http://www.examiner.com/article/do-gnostics-b...

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#472177 Aug 20, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler was also a "self" who no doubt was honest in his belief that his self was on the right path and others needed to be led by him.
Please post your citation to this claim.

And what does this have to do with the title of the forum.

You aren't staying focused again.

Albuquerque, NM

#472178 Aug 20, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
chris·ti·an·i·ty
Noun
1.The religion based on the person and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, or its beliefs and practices.
Then why is "Paul" the major player being used?

That's right - Christianity isn't faithful to its own definition.

"Paulicity" would be better suited to describe modern day Christianity.
LTM

Sutton, Canada

#472179 Aug 20, 2013
This Evening's Meditation

C. H. Spurgeon

----------

"And they fortified Jerusalem unto the broad wall."—Nehemiah 3:8.

ITIES well fortified have broad walls, and so had Jerusalem in her glory. The New Jerusalem must, in like manner, be surrounded and preserved by a broad wall of nonconformity to the world, and separation from its customs and spirit. The tendency of these days break down the holy barrier, and make the distinction between the church and the world merely nominal. Professors are no longer strict and Puritanical, questionable literature is read on all hands, frivolous pastimes are currently indulged, and a general laxity threatens to deprive the Lord's peculiar people of those sacred singularities which separate them from sinners. It will be an ill day for the church and the world when the proposed amalgamation shall be complete, and the sons of God and the daughters of men shall be as one: then shall another deluge of wrath be ushered in. Beloved reader, be it your aim in heart, in word, in dress, in action to maintain the broad wall, remembering that the friendship of this world is enmity against God.
The broad wall afforded a pleasant place of resort for the inhabitants of Jerusalem, from which they could command prospects of the surrounding country. This reminds us of the Lord's exceeding broad commandments, in which we walk at liberty in communion with Jesus, overlooking the scenes of earth, and looking out towards the glories of heaven. Separated from the world, and denying ourselves all ungodliness and fleshly lusts, we are nevertheless not in prison, nor restricted within narrow bounds; nay, we walk at liberty, because we keep His precepts. Come, reader, this evening walk with God in His statutes. As friend met friend upon the city wall, so meet thou thy God in the way of holy prayer and meditation. The bulwarks of salvation thou hast a right to traverse, for thou art a freeman of the royal burgh, a citizen of the metropolis of the universe.
LTM

Sutton, Canada

#472180 Aug 20, 2013

“Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.” Psalm 1:1

Do you remember how old-time TV shows used to have an applause meter to gauge audience reactions? A big arrow would spin around the dial to show how enthusiastic the crowd was—or wasn’t—about what had just happened onstage. It wasn’t particularly scientific, but it provided quick feedback!

When I think about how we feel about God’s rules, I wonder if heaven has one of those meters. Well, not really, but there is one in your heart that God can read, so let’s talk about it. The arrow on your heart meter reflects your honest, instinctive response to God’s Word and His laws. Across the dial are five attitudes that, at any given moment, reflect how you really react to God’s rules for you.

All the way on the left side of the dial is the word disdain. Ever feel like God’s rules are oppressive, restrictive barriers to your pleasure and dreadfully outdated? Then the arrow might just be buried in the low end of the meter of your heart.

Next up on the dial is the word doubt. Those of us who wonder if God’s rules are good and for our best will register in the doubt category. But, be warned, Satan’s oldest tactic for plunging lives into shame and isolation from a loving God was planting seeds of doubt about the goodness of God and His Word (Genesis 3:1). Surprisingly, the tactic still works—fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me!

At the center of the dial is duty. Is obedience to God’s laws a legalistic obligation for you? Something that you have to do since you are a Christian with a virtual score sheet of do’s and don’ts that help you keep track of how you’re doing? If you are externally conformed, but your heart is far from Him and His laws feel heavy with the only reward being the ugly sin of pride in your own goodness, then you’re a dutiful but dull law keeper.

Further to the right, the arrow moves to the word devotion. This is closer to where God wants us to be. Those of us who land here obey God’s rules out of our love for Him. And while there is nothing wrong with that and much to be commended for it, there is still another point on the pleasing God meter that the psalmist urges us to qualify for.

Which explains why David cranks the arrow on the meter all the way over to the farthest extreme: delight. He writes that the truly blessed person delights in the law of the Lord!

What does that mean? Well, the Hebrew term used here actually means to be “emotionally preoccupied with.” It’s kind of like being in love. It’s all that you can think about. Other thoughts and conversations get drowned out by your overwhelming preoccupation. Imagine what our lives would look like if we truly became emotionally preoccupied with the profound goodness of God’s rules.

So, what would it take to move the arrow of your meter to the delight position? Try spending time reflecting on the character of the Lawgiver. You have a Father who loves you, who wants to protect you, and who offers His rules as His loving way to keep you safe and offer you true freedom from Satan’s deceitful and destructive ways. And, when you obey His rules and experience the peace, joy, and cleansing that it brings to your life, you’ll delight with the psalmist who wrote that God’s rules are “sweeter than honey to my mouth”(Psalm 119:103)!

Take a meter reading today, and bury the needle deep in the “delight” end of the meter. When you do, heaven’s applause meter may just go off the charts because of your love for His law!

Albuquerque, NM

#472181 Aug 20, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If I learn to believe as a Gnostic, will I then be brilliant ... as you picture your adorable SELF?
Incorrect conclusion.

If you learn to believe as a Gnostic, you will have learned some knowledge that Christianity or your life didn't teach you.

Stop being so dramatic in your old age. It's not very becoming.
LTM

Sutton, Canada

#472182 Aug 20, 2013
YOUR JOURNEY…
•Honesty time: How would you characterize your attitude toward God’s law—disdain, doubt, duty, devotion, or delight?
•What changes in your thinking might help move the arrow on your meter further to the right?
•Think of one or two laws of God that you can delight in because you see how they are lovingly in place for your protection. Spend some time thanking God for those laws and delight in them today. It’s a great start!

Categories: Attributes, Basics Of Faith, Faithfulness, God, Love For, Obedience, Relating To God, Relationships, Submission

Tags: attributes, Faithfulness, Love For, Obedience, submission

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope urges compassion from politicians who fan ... Sun Frindly 2
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Dec 4 Mr Sir 10,694
News Pope Francis is greeted by young children in tr... Nov 27 TRUE CATHOLIC her... 1
News John Paul I Closer to Sainthood as Book Debunks... Nov 12 South Knox Hombre 1
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Nov '17 Feeling Abandoned 37
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... (Apr '15) Nov '17 whirlignmerc 11
News War, religion and tolerance Oct '17 The Bible Student 1
More from around the web