Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 590028 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#467872 Aug 1, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Please post where June stated this.
If you are correct, I will apologize accordingly.
If you are incorrect, I will expect the same from you.
JUNE:

"Do you suppose that while this Jesus character was busy preaching about love that he went along with his father commanding people to kill each other???

If you do, you are loony tunes.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

Any person who curseth his mother or father, must be killed.(Leviticus 20:9)

(continues ad nauseum)
----------

"he went along with his father commanding people to kill each other"

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#467873 Aug 1, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not confused.
I'm not of the belief that the admonitions in the Book of Leviticus serve as a transcription of God's direct commands.
Then the Bible is no longer factual or true.

You can't separate the parts you don't like from the parts you think are good, just because you want to.

How is it that you can separate "God's word"?

How is it that you can disagree with "God", in that these passages are no longer valid, but claim the book is still "true" and without error?

*rolls eyes*

Do you even think for a moment on what you state?

To agree with you in this regard:
"I'm not of the belief that the admonitions in the Book of Leviticus serve as a transcription of God's direct commands."
- Good you should. Because they aren't direct commands, they were created and devised by men.

But you aren't honest enough with yourself or others to admit this.

You'd rather continue with what you have been doing, twisting your way through the good book with some idiosyncrasy of man's making.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#467874 Aug 1, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
no, it occurs during Holy Spirit Baptism done by Jesus when one believes.
That's not in the Bible, marge.

We receive Him in Baptism.

"For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ."

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#467875 Aug 1, 2013
who="Oxbow"
You copied a guideline on How to become a Christian and presented it as your testimony on your "salvation"...you did not copy and paste all of it....
testimony: A public declaration regarding a religious experience.
You would have been better going to this web site and fabricated a testimony...
Sample Testimony
When it comes to sharing your testimony, focus on a few key points:
What your life was like before Christ
How you came to know Him
Include the gospel. Share that Christ alone, not works, has saved you.
How your life is different today because of Him
Share a passage of scripture from which God has spoken to you.
Here's a good example of how your testimony might go:
I grew up in a Christian family, so I was surrounded by God and the church from the very beginning. I was raised in a Christian home, but just followed through the motions of doing “Christian things” that I thought you were supposed to do. I didn’t know Him, I just knew about Him.
I found myself searching for purpose and meaning in people and also in myself. Whether that was my friends or in relationships, I poured my whole heart into them. I also became very fixated on myself and my image. I became very consumed with what people thought of me and was living for the acceptance of the world.
At my lowest point when I was alone and afraid, God drew me to Himself. From growing up in a Christian home, I knew what to do. I knew that He could save me if I just let Him. I confessed that I am a sinner and that I was trying to find life in other people and myself. I acknowledged that He sent Jesus to die on the cross so that I can be saved from my sin and have eternal life. I committed to living for God instead of others.
Since knowing Him, God showed me that being a “Christian” isn’t about just doing good works. He made it clear that I do not have to earn my salvation or His love (Eph. 2:8-9). He has given me fulfillment and purpose and joy. I am not perfect and I still mess up, but God loves me despite my flaws and imperfections. And when the things I was pursuing before continually let me down, God has never once left me. He has shown Himself to me in His Word, the Bible, in (verse of scripture). God loved me even at my lowest point and He rescued me from myself and eternal separation from Him.

Good. Now do all you can to uplift others who are where you once were.

KayMarie
Dan

Omaha, NE

#467876 Aug 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Tell me Anthony, when did the child acquire this "Faith" that brought them to baptism?
Please be specific and include all of the possibilities that "brings a child to baptism because of faith".
And please don't twist the word "child" to mean anything other than an infant or a young child. Because when one defines the word "child" in other ways, it implies as an adult", but we already know the majority of Catholic baptisms happen during the infancy stage of life.
In regards to a "child" in the Protestant world, a "child of God" can be any age, but usually an age that in the least, allows the individual - no matter what age - to "accept Jesus as my Saviour".
So - whatcha got that "brings a child to baptism"?
Your own post explains it pretty well:

"Infants and children learn what "faith" is through experience and guidance from others, and the continuous repeating of what they are to believe by their parents and those whom the parents have allowed to teach about faith.

They are baptized because of their parent's faith, not of their own."

So, as Anthony said, "faith brings one to baptism".
Dan

Omaha, NE

#467877 Aug 1, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Water baptism is a picture of 'putting on Christ'.
The Bible says it actually IS "putting on Christ".

Galatians 3:26–27

#467878 Aug 1, 2013
who="Oxbow"
Show me where He said one thing about being baptized...
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

He counted baptism...thus He submitted Himself to baptism. In everything He has given us the example. He said that, "He that believeth AND is baptized shall be saved."

I'm sure that if one believes in Him and does not have opportunity for baptism, He WILL take care of them. But we have opportunity.

KayMarie

Albuquerque, NM

#467879 Aug 1, 2013
Still false.
An infant doesn't understand the "putting on Christ".
You presume to much, without addressing and accepting the facts surrounding your premise.
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
He doesn't have to personally understand it. None of us, even as adults fully understand it, except maybe you newagers....lol.
That's right - you don't understand the act, so don't try to explain what you don't understand.

At least some "New Agers" have accepted the meanings as how they were taught by Jesus and not by men or "Paul". Unlike you.

And don't include me with your "none of us" ruse. I fully understand that baptism is an act of symbolism to show others one has "begun a new life" or "born again".
Dan

Omaha, NE

#467880 Aug 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Then the Bible is no longer factual or true.
You can't separate the parts you don't like from the parts you think are good, just because you want to.
How is it that you can separate "God's word"?
How is it that you can disagree with "God", in that these passages are no longer valid, but claim the book is still "true" and without error?
*rolls eyes*
Do you even think for a moment on what you state?
To agree with you in this regard:
"I'm not of the belief that the admonitions in the Book of Leviticus serve as a transcription of God's direct commands."
- Good you should. Because they aren't direct commands, they were created and devised by men.
But you aren't honest enough with yourself or others to admit this.
You'd rather continue with what you have been doing, twisting your way through the good book with some idiosyncrasy of man's making.
I didn't say it wasn't divinely inspired text.

I said the Levitical admonitions don't represent a transcription of the direct commands of God.

#467881 Aug 1, 2013
Counted baptism TO BE IMPORTANT...

Albuquerque, NM

#467882 Aug 1, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
He's paraphrasing St. Paul.
What is he presuming?
I've explained it already - reread what was written.

With you continuing as if you are "dumbfounded" - really is a telling sign of what you really don't know.

Maybe you shoudl research the act of baptism - outside of Catholicism to understand what the act is, where it originated from and why it was done.

Maybe you can read up on the Essenes and why they used it.

Maybe you can read up on the symbolism of "water" and how it was used in history.

Maybe, just maybe you should have researched your religion a little bit better.

Albuquerque, NM

#467883 Aug 1, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
no, it occurs during Holy Spirit Baptism done by Jesus when one believes.
Using this logic....

a. I believe in Jesus
b. I must have been baptized by the HS with doing so.
c. Which puts me as part of the so-called "Church"

Cool - I wonder how many people will believe you and your logic.

I do....*smiles*.....

So when are you going to start believing Jesus, so you can join me?

Albuquerque, NM

#467884 Aug 1, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah.
Anthony didn't make a statement to the contrary.
He simply said "faith brings one to baptism".
Yes Dan, I know this.

That is why I was asking him to explain how a child 'is brought to baptism".

As you and he continue in your charade, I'm still waiting on an answer and not some diversion from answering, as you both seem to be doing.

Honesty, Dan, is something you seem to have a problem with when expressing this viewpoint of yours and Anthony's.

Hey - do you believe the Pope is infallible?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#467885 Aug 1, 2013
<quoted text>
With you continuing as if you are "dumbfounded" - really is a telling sign of what you really don't know.
Maybe you shoudl research the act of baptism - outside of Catholicism to understand what the act is, where it originated from and why it was done.
Maybe you can read up on the symbolism of "water" and how it was used in history.
Maybe you can simply explain what Anthony was "presuming" while simply paraphrasing St. Paul instead of trying to send me down a rabbit hole.

Albuquerque, NM

#467886 Aug 1, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Dan"
"'putting on Christ' is not just a matter of mentally/verbally agreeing with some church or person about their teachings?"
.....unless it's you doing so, mentally agreeing to Christ's invitation.(??)
That's what you've said above.
Anthony said the Baptism is "putting on Christ". That isn't a matter of mental/verbal agreement. It's an act of faith.
You are spinning words. I did not 'agree mentally with some person or church'. I said "Yes" to His invitation. Then I began following Him...not some person or church. Baptism was a step in that 'followng'.
KayMarie
Correct - it is an action that a person does, unless they are from a Catholic family, in which the parents bring the child to be baptized.

Why do you believe men over Jesus?

Albuquerque, NM

#467887 Aug 1, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
JUNE:
"Do you suppose that while this Jesus character was busy preaching about love that he went along with his father commanding people to kill each other???
If you do, you are loony tunes.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>
Any person who curseth his mother or father, must be killed.(Leviticus 20:9)
(continues ad nauseum)
----------
"he went along with his father commanding people to kill each other"
You answered the question brilliantly.

"he went along with >>>>his father commanding people<<<< to kill each other."

- Nothing here that jesus wrote Leviticus, but instead stating that Jesus went along with what many think as "God's Word".

I'll wait for an apology.

Albuquerque, NM

#467888 Aug 1, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Your own post explains it pretty well:
"Infants and children learn what "faith" is through experience and guidance from others, and the continuous repeating of what they are to believe by their parents and those whom the parents have allowed to teach about faith.
They are baptized because of their parent's faith, not of their own."
So, as Anthony said, "faith brings one to baptism".
Yes - a parents' "fatih brings one to baptism" in regards to an infant and a Catholic baptism.

You are still wrong in your interpretation.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#467889 Aug 1, 2013
<quoted text>
I'll help you.

Had Anthony written that the Galatians had taken a wrong turn, found themselves encamped in Siberia and were cold, thus St. Paul used the term "putting on Christ" to evoke a notion of warmth and comfort as with a cloak or coat, that would be presumptive on Anthony's part.

He simply ran the "putting on Christ" out sans coloration.

Albuquerque, NM

#467890 Aug 1, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say it wasn't divinely inspired text.
I said the Levitical admonitions don't represent a transcription of the direct commands of God.
Of course you didn't, because it proves I am right and you are wrong and have been wrong for however long you've been practicing Catholicism.

DOH!!

But you probably don't know how to be honest, so that is why you hadn't stated it truthfully.

You'd rather double-talk you way around it.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#467891 Aug 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Yes - a parents' "fatih brings one to baptism" in regards to an infant and a Catholic baptism.
You are still wrong in your interpretation.
Of what?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stealing the Keys to Heaven (Aug '09) 14 hr QUITTNER May 25 2015 6
News St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes (Apr '14) Sat pazuzu 61
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Sat Gee-Tee 9,391
News Pope Francis endorses Catholic climate petition May 23 Passing thru 8
News Philippines cardinal worked for peace with Muslims (Apr '14) May 22 KristoFMYsagun 10
News Francis expects short papacy May 21 ELIAS IBARRA 12
News Pope finds popularity and dissent at 2-year mark May 21 ELIAS IBARRA 10
More from around the web